• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

Trilobit

I'll make a few predictions and check back after release and eat crow if I was way off:

1. Atsu will be genderfluid.
2. Atsu will be gay.
3. She will mocked by men because she's a woman.
4. There will be at least one character who's trans.
5. The game will be very good despite its wokeness and be gorgeous.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I will say this though. If they've skipped these onsen scenes and don't show her butt then it's a case of serious double standards. I wish though there would be a toggle off in both games.

V2kAEnApoyCAcpYB7ED2UV.jpg
You just know they're not going to.

Vlodril

She cares, she is advertising her sexual choices everywhere. We will see how her in game character will compare.

This is the same shitty attitude that had people going after that lady and got her fired (From limited run games or something). Personal opinions are just that. If Mel Gibson is a racist does that mean that every character he ever played is one?

Zathalus

Maybe you can answer the following question...

Take that trailer and insert a different protagonist in it. What would the character have to look like for you to essentially take my position?

The movie Commando with Arnold Schwarzenegger is also an impossible fantasy. Why didn't they cast Judy Dench in that role? Or John Candy etc...

I'm just trying to where people who disagree would draw the line.
I’d probably think somebody who is extremely frail, a child, or has some physical impairment for me to start asking questions. Not merely a woman. A woman is perfectly capable of mastering the sword, the bow, and the gun. Japanese history and literature has quite a few examples of woman warriors.

Were they common? No. Are they as strong as men? No. Can a woman who had trained extensively with a Katana kill people less skilled than her? Yes. Physical strength can be important in a lot of fighting skills, but when it comes to the Katana and a lot of fighting styles that utilise it, that advantage is diminished.

This is a power fantasy, we’re not playing the average Joe, by definition the person we are playing in the game is the 1% of the 1% when it comes to skill.

Arachnid

Hope they reeaaally improve on the stealth and outpost design. The first was kind of a dud there.

EDIT: lmfao

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
I watched the trailer again today to try to identify that cursed agenda, like some people are saying, but in my opinion, we need more dialogue, context, and to get to know the protagonist's personality before saying if there's an ideological agenda. Just being a woman isn't enough.

I don’t know why, but I got the vibe of the 1995 western movie The Quick and the Dead from the trailer
j45ZlDM.jpeg
Yeah the cowboy music threw me for a loop. I thought maybe they would playing with idea of the Cowboys, where the story eventually leads into a Midwest Golden age of Cowboys and that period.
My retarded brain then remembered it’s set on the island of Japan.
I am excited to see more of the story and dialogue of the main character.

I really like the idea of the wolf companion. It signals to me Sucker Punch understands the importance of cohesion and believability.
She is a Japanese woman. She isn’t going to be more than 110 lbs.
Japanese people tend to be smaller people. She will be going up against giants in this regard.
You can Mary Sue her like SW Outlaws or you can do a good job. This indicates to me that Sucker Punch knows what they are doing. (If there is a wolf companion of course)

Bombolone

Gold Member
FANS: Hey Sony, where are the good games ? would be awesome to see a sequel of Tsushima with Jin and Tomoe.
Sony: Here is a lot of games that u guys dont asked for, we ll do nothing that fans want and we ll kill every mc that you guys like, please buy our games.
I miss Jin, feels like an old friend you haven’t seen in a while. He was brave and kind. Had a warm aura to him. A character that resonated with me.

I saw someone post here that this game might be more like Miles Morales than a full fledged sequel. Or like Infamous First Light.
Could make sense. Or maybe this a ‘Ghost of’ franchise where each entry explores a different warrior.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
At what point are some of you people going to accept that a woman lead is not woke? When do we get back to normal on this? Or is that it now, woman leads will always be woke from this day forth?
It's about the trend, this is not just a one off thing.

here is sony's first party lineup this gen alone.

- Returnal - Female lead
- Ratchet - Co-lead, yes in a game called ratchet, the lead is a female named Rivet
- Horizon FW - female lead. this time shes been retconned into a lesbian.
- Kratos - male lead
- Spiderman 2 - Forced MJ segments through out the game including a ridiculous final mission where she takes down super villains with a taser
- Ghost of Tsushima - female lead

Go back a bit more and you will see that they changed leads in TLOU2 and uncharted lost legacy.

No one cared that aloy was a female lead. No one cared about ellie being a lead. No one cared about Returnal period. But you keep doing this shit over and over again where 5 out of 6 games have female leads or co-leads and people are going to ask why a male dominated industry like the gaming industry is bending over backwards to appeal to women who have zero interest in AAA games like this.

Men dont necessarily dislike playing as women. Horizon 1 sold 20 million units. Lara croft is still huge. TLOU2 sold 4 million in 3 days. But at the same time, an argument for more inclusion of minorities and women in games comes up because women and people of color supposedly cannot identify with the male leads. Ok fine. But lets apply the same logic to how so many games from Sony nowadays have female leads and ask yourself if men who make up 91% of playstation players, according to sony's own stats, can identify with all these female leads.

Arachnid

Doesn’t look like a considerable upgrade in terms of graphics. I hope they’re using the additional hardware to create a more detailed / complex world. In Tsushima, they had the excuse that the Mongols destroyed everything. But this one takes place in Hokkaido, I expect larger, more vibrant towns akin to other open world games.
Tbh, it's a Sony exclusive. I'm not expecting much of a jump in gameplay. Spiderman 2, Horizon 2, and God of War 2 were all just more of the same (though TLOU2 was a considerable upgrade).

tmlDan

Tbh, it's a Sony exclusive. I'm not expecting much of a jump in gameplay. Spiderman 2, Horizon 2, and God of War 2 were all just more of the same (though TLOU2 was a considerable upgrade).
go read the blog, they specifically told a new story so they can change up the gameplay.....its painful reading this thread

Arachnid

go read the blog, they specifically told a new story so they can change up the gameplay.....its painful reading this thread
"Yes, our game is basically the same as the first."

Said no pub/dev ever. Obviously, we'll wait until we see gameplay rather than the pointless cinematic bs in the trailer, but do you just take everything devs/pubs say at face value?

Call me old fashioned, bit I don't want to play a female samurai, or a gemale in general. I guess I'm not the target demographic.
I'm in the same boat for action games. Kind of meh for me. It'll have to have some god tier stealth for me to overlook it.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’d probably think somebody who is extremely frail, a child, or has some physical impairment for me to start asking questions. Not merely a woman. A woman is perfectly capable of mastering the sword, the bow, and the gun. Japanese history and literature has quite a few examples of woman warriors.
Alright, but what if people told you "History has many documented cases of frail soldiers, child soldiers, and geriatric soldiers being effective in combat." All are perfectly capable of besting less skilled people on the battlefield with enough training.

The US Womens National soccer team can't a Dallas U15 boys club.
The WNBA has had 37 dunks in it's 27 year history.

Were they common? No. Are they as strong as men? No. Can a woman who had trained extensively with a Katana kill people less skilled than her? Yes. Physical strength can be important in a lot of fighting skills, but when it comes to the Katana and a lot of fighting styles that utilise it, that advantage is diminished.
I think Sucker Punch is going to have you besting 1,000 trained male samurai throughout the course of this 30 hour game. I have substantially less issue with Ubisofts stealth based female ninja in the upcoming Assassins Creed game. The problem isn't that she's a woman. The problem is that she's going to solve her stories conflict by being the most physically dominant man on the island. That's lame AF.

This is a power fantasy, we’re not playing the average Joe, by definition the person we are playing in the game is the 1% of the 1% when it comes to skill.
To me, it's like if the next NBA2K game featured Caitlin Clark on the cover, created a single-player mode where she competes in the men's league, wins MVP, and leads her team to the Finals. It feels equally unrealistic and out of place. The Ghost of Indiana.

tmlDan

"Yes, our game is basically the same as the first."

Said no pub/dev ever. Obviously, we'll wait until we see gameplay rather than the pointless cinematic bs in the trailer, but do you just take everything devs/pubs say at face value?
again, read the blog, you can wait for evidence but multiple new weapons were also shown at the end

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
90%+ of the people that play games like this are dudes. Most dudes like playing as dudes. Unless it's a stellar blade situation with a hot android. That's just the way it is. This will undoubtedly hurt sales, and honestly I loved the first game, and got the plat trophy, but as soon as I saw a femc for the sequel I was out.

I don't need historically accurate proof. I don't want to play as a female character, simple as.

You already know hot springs(Sony only allows man ass) will be removed or off screened. She will probably be a lesbian or hinted as one, and it'll be given higher review scores by "critics" because of it.

Bookmark this post.
before the woke age i always played as females in 3rd person games.
staring at female asses number 1 reason. If you can't stand playing as WIMMIN try other games.

DeaDPo0L84

I hear you, but I just don't see Sucker Punch going down that road. I also don't think it is fair to make so many assumptions based on who the actress is. We are getting into "woke bogey man" territory.
I hope you're right, the main character being a female in itself doesn't bother me, and if her views/beliefs don't impact the game in any way then I'll be there day 1.

Zathalus

Alright, but what if people told you "History has many documented cases of frail soldiers, child soldiers, and geriatric soldiers being effective in combat." All are perfectly capable of besting less skilled people on the battlefield with enough training.

The US Womens National soccer team can't a Dallas U15 boys club.
The WNBA has had 37 dunks in it's 27 year history.

I think Sucker Punch is going to have you besting 1,000 trained male samurai throughout the course of this 30 hour game. I have substantially less issue with Ubisofts stealth based female ninja in the upcoming Assassins Creed game. The problem isn't that she's a woman. The problem is that she's going to solve her stories conflict by being the most physically dominant man on the island. That's lame AF.

To me, it's like if the next NBA2K game featured Caitlin Clark on the cover, created a single-player mode where she competes in the men's league, wins MVP, and leads her team to the Finals. It feels equally unrealistic and out of place. The Ghost of Indiana.
Being effective in combat does not make you a master of the blade. Speed, skill, training, and reflexes are key when wielding a katana. I can see a woman in that role but a child or someone physically disabled would not meet all those criteria. A child simply would not have had the time to become a master and a frail geriatric would simply not have the reflexes anymore to keep up.

I’m also not sure why you bring up football or basketball, these sports and fighting with a katana don’t really have a lot of crossover in terms of skills. Why don’t you compare something that actually has some relevance like fencing, archery, sharpshooting, and the like? If you actually compare Olympic records for the relevant categories you’d see that while woman still lag in comparison to men, you’d notice that the best woman still beat 99.99% of men. You keep comparing sports while completely forgetting that the blade (and gun for that matter) is a massive equaliser. This is not a sports game, nobody is comparing who can deadlift the most weight, or run the fastest 100m sprint.

The very existence of Onna-Musha and figures such as Tomoe Gozen, Nakano Takeko, and Hangaku Gozen seems to indicate that woman warrior in Japan did exist and did manage to kill men on the battlefield. While extremely rare, they did exist.

As for beating 1000 warriors (I say warrior as the majority of the enemies will most likely not be Samurai) as a woman? I agree it’s completely unrealistic. It’s also utterly unrealistic that a man does the same. As I pointed out in my first post, there is no effective difference when you take one man vs 50 or one woman vs 50. In anything approaching the semblance of realism both end up dead.

Jormatar

Ya'll are fucking dumb to think there was anything woke in that trailer.

I'm not sure if you have realized but some of you share similar rotten mindset which started this whole culture war in the first place where mentally ill people started to downplay male or white people in lead roles while throwing accusations of racism and misogyny to perfectly normal people who just happpened to disagree them.

It's depressing to witness how words are starting to lose their original meanings.

Topher

Gold Member
As for beating 1000 warriors (I say warrior as the majority of the enemies will most likely not be Samurai) as a woman? I agree it’s completely unrealistic. It’s also utterly unrealistic that a man does the same. As I pointed out in my first post, there is no effective difference when you take one man vs 50 or one woman vs 50. In anything approaching the semblance of realism both end up dead.

I made that same point earlier. In GoT, Jin took out entire garrisons of Mongols all by himself. He swung around mountains using a completely unrealistic grappling hook that magically attached itself to various designated points. None of this is realistic at all. Suddenly a woman wielding a sword is a bridge too far? Makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I made that same point earlier. In GoT, Jin took out entire garrisons of Mongols all by himself. He swung around mountains using a completely unrealistic grappling hook that magically attached itself to various designated points. None of this is realistic at all. Suddenly a woman wielding a sword is a bridge too far? Makes absolutely no sense.
I think a lot of people are going to suddenly notice how braindead some of the stealth was, and how overpowered the main character is. But as you're saying, that was absolutely the case in the last game too. And I say that as someone who mostly enjoyed the game.

Killjoy-NL

It's not about historical accuracy, it could've been 100% fiction, it's still a game featuring humans without superpowers, women can't fight men head to head repeatedly and not die very quickly, it doesn't happen, and the game taking itself so seriously makes it even more dumb and cringe.
There literally were female samurai that have been fighting alongside and against men for centuries in feudal Japan.

It's one thing to not like playing as a woman, but it's a whole other thing to deny actual historic facts.

It's really ironic that those who take a stand against Woke do the exact thing they accuse Woke of:
Revise history to make it fit your agenda.

yogaflame

It is possible that some of Firewalk team will be moved to GOT2. I'm not against it, if some of Firewalk team will be move to GOT2 development, after the flop Concord to give them a job, but I hope they will not infect the game with there twisted dei and woke agenda especially twisted gender ideology. Focus on the technical side of development. Hopefully this game will not be touched by the poisonous plague sweet baby inc.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
I hear you, but I just don't see Sucker Punch going down that road. I also don't think it is fair to make so many assumptions based on who the actress is. We are getting into "woke bogey man" territory.
Who cares what stupid ideas the actress believes in. Unless they are in the game and for now there are zero clues for that, its her damn job and it shouldn't matter.
People truly think that a hired actress it's going to get full creative control on this lmao

I mean, Sucker Punch is based in Bellvue. Like, Washington cities are at or above California levels. They definitely overlap with these kinds of views.

Doesn't mean anything for the game at this point, but don't be surprised if it does wind up that way. It has happened countless times before at this point.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think a lot of people are going to suddenly notice how braindead some of the stealth was, and how overpowered the main character is. But as you're saying, that was absolutely the case in the last game too. And I say that as someone who mostly enjoyed the game.

We put our brains on hold to really remarkable things in the vast majority of games. He'll, hiding in tall grass is a common stealth tactic in video games but it is entirely unrealistic. But it is fun so who cares?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
We put our brains on hold to really remarkable things in the vast majority of games. He'll, hiding in tall grass is a common stealth tactic in video games but it is entirely unrealistic. But it is fun so who cares?
It's definitely fun, but I was honestly hoping for a bit more from the stealth to be honest. The whole storyline was ripe for leaning into the difficulty a bit more than they did, and having to move away from head on fights to fighting more "dishonorably" and being forced to use stealth tactics to fight the larger numbers.

LMJ

I mean I understand peoples apprehension, it's like SlimySnake SlimySnake said above there IS a pattern there, and if this does indeed end up being another "girlboss" garbage where she's flawless and takes out men 10 times her size than I'm out... Aloy went from a relatable outcast to an annoying loner who HAS to do everything herself

However the trailer didn't give that impression at all, the female appears to be an outlaw or hunted, as more details come in we'll obviously know more, but hopefully this will be a return to great female characters... Suckerpunch hasn't let me down yet!

Reaseru

It's about the trend, this is not just a one off thing.

here is sony's first party lineup this gen alone.

- Returnal - Female lead
- Ratchet - Co-lead, yes in a game called ratchet, the lead is a female named Rivet
- Horizon FW - female lead. this time shes been retconned into a lesbian.
- Kratos - male lead
- Spiderman 2 - Forced MJ segments through out the game including a ridiculous final mission where she takes down super villains with a taser
- Ghost of Tsushima - female lead

Go back a bit more and you will see that they changed leads in TLOU2 and uncharted lost legacy.

No one cared that aloy was a female lead. No one cared about ellie being a lead. No one cared about Returnal period. But you keep doing this shit over and over again where 5 out of 6 games have female leads or co-leads and people are going to ask why a male dominated industry like the gaming industry is bending over backwards to appeal to women who have zero interest in AAA games like this.

Men dont necessarily dislike playing as women. Horizon 1 sold 20 million units. Lara croft is still huge. TLOU2 sold 4 million in 3 days. But at the same time, an argument for more inclusion of minorities and women in games comes up because women and people of color supposedly cannot identify with the male leads. Ok fine. But lets apply the same logic to how so many games from Sony nowadays have female leads and ask yourself if men who make up 91% of playstation players, according to sony's own stats, can identify with all these female leads.

Just how difficult is to someone to understand this? It's really that hard?

Topher

Gold Member
I mean, Sucker Punch is based in Bellvue. Like, Washington cities are at or above California levels. They definitely overlap with these kinds of views.

Doesn't mean anything for the game at this point, but don't be surprised if it does wind up that way. It has happened countless times before at this point.

I get that point and if this were a game set in modern day Washington then I'd be a lot more concerned. As I said earlier, SP would be incredibly stupid to try and merge today's politics into 1600s Japan. That would be a shitshow.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
That's not GoT exclusive. There is no good stealth in recent games. Tomb Raider, Uncharted, TLOU, Hitman, Ubisoft, Horizon, Spider-Man and many more. It just sucks and/or is overpowered.

SlimySnake

That's not GoT exclusive. There is no good stealth in recent games. Tomb Raider, Uncharted, TLOU, Hitman, Ubisoft, Horizon, Spider-Man and many more. It just sucks and/or is overpowered.
If you dont make it overpowered you get situations like star wars outlaws where its too difficult and makes the game boring.

stealth games/levels suck period. its why MGS never went all in on it and with each game gave you more and more weapons to play it like rambo. MGSV is the best stealth game out there and its because they give you literally a hundred tools to make it easy and fun.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Any chance this is cross-gen? While it looks good, I don't see the kind of jump that would make me think it couldn't be downgraded slightly from the trailer to work on a PS4.

Monkfish877

You're just built different.
Yup, your damn right!!! and I think differently as well, males and females are just fundamentally different, it's best for the survival of the human race that we keep that distinction between the sexes, it's been this way since the dawn of man. There's barely any or real evidence of female samurai anyway, just a bunch of conjecture and desperate inferences on historical records, but like I said before, you can enjoy your female samurai action game but don't pretend that it's "historically accurate" or it's "respecting Japanese culture" because it isn't, it will always be a fantasy.

JayK47

As more information on this game comes out, I wonder how well many posts in this thread will age. Maybe some "day 1" posts will change to "day 2". ;)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I get that point and if this were a game set in modern day Washington then I'd be a lot more concerned. As I said earlier, SP would be incredibly stupid to try and merge today's politics into 1600s Japan. That would be a shitshow.
It would burn down all the goodwill they established with Japan. Especially after all of this.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This I get as a few friends have said that very thing to me they aren't interested in playing a female samurai
Same here. I don't mind occasionally playing a game with a female lead for the sake of variety, as long as contextually it makes sense, but this is getting fucking ridiculous. Loved GoT, likely won't waste my time here.

Monkfish877

So you ain't played metroid, tomb raider, mirrors edge, half life 2.5, half of RE and won't play GTA6 because they star the larger majority of the species you are apart of?

*Facepalm*

They said this about metal gear

They were wrong.

Innovation always wins out over pandering to "expectations". Always.
I'm skipping on GTA6 precisely because of the female lead, like I said before, I just don't enjoy playing with female characters, it just isn't fun to me, and I skip any games where you control them for the whole game, if it's one or two missions then I'll suck it up but otherwise, nope.

Topher

Gold Member
It would burn down all the goodwill they established with Japan. Especially after all of this.

Yep. That's a big reason why I think this is just people jumping at woke shadows.

I'll make a few predictions and check back after release and eat crow if I was way off:

3. She will mocked by men because she's a woman.
5. The game will be very good despite its wokeness and be gorgeous.
3. Perhaps. In the first game they simply ignored the ridiculousness of the woke stuff though and pretended it was completely normal. And there was plenty of it (women in positions of power everywhere, women talking down to men, female warriors, grandma killing the burglars, that gay farmer couple and so on)
5. The first game was very overrated.

SlimySnake

Any chance this is cross-gen? While it looks good, I don't see the kind of jump that would make me think it couldn't be downgraded slightly from the trailer to work on a PS4.
They recently ported Star Wars jedi survivor to PS4 and X1. You can port anything nowadays with enough cutbacks.

The jump is more in line with Star Wars outlaws and Ass creed shadows. Great draw distance (first game had atrocious draw distance), great snow effects, lots of foliage and horses they couldnt do last gen. But thats about it. Same janky animations. Still didnt bother borrowing motion matching tech from ND. Same plastic character models even though GG has a fantastic facial capture system for horizon they just ported back to HZD. Very similar art style which to be fair is the reason why Star Wars outlaws and AC Shadows dont look as impressive. Same last gen geometry. All these games needed a more realistic art style and lighting system like Wukong and hellblade 2. I dont know if its better higher quality shaders or quixel assets or just some color saturation, but the fact that you along with others arent as impressed from a major sony first party ps5 exclusive is likely due to them keeping a very gamey artstyle.

midnightAI

Pretty much any game can be downgraded to PS4, but no, it's definitely PS5, and I do see the jump, those vistas are huge and look detailed far out, textures too seem much improved (and the amount of stuff going on on screen).

Top Bottom