• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei Announced (Ghost of Tsushima Sequel)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Very rare and there were no where near the same number as their male counterparts, but there were women warriors in Japan.

There's even a book about the subject if you're interested.

9781846039515.webp
If this game is done right I personally wouldn't mind exploring that part of history more

If the in game character is like the actor playing her I will be very sad

Venom Snake

Some of you in here are the most miserable fucks I've ever seen. Angry about absolutely nothing. Absolutely no joy in your lives, due to some pathological fear of the nebulous concept of "woke".
Not playing the game because there's a woman lead? By all means, its your loss. I'm sure there will be many millions of others who'll have a good enough time.

I think some would be best served spending less time on the internet and just go out and enjoy life, instead of letting your blood pressure get raised by innocuous bullshit.

While Sony counts hundreds of millions of dollars in losses after Concord and the Ubisoft dumpster fire continues to burn, people are thirsty for blood.

I'm honestly excited about the impending demise of pushy activism in an industry that doesn't need it.
There will also be those who are too excited, trying to cancel everything that even slightly deviates from the right path, also fanboys for whom the current climate of discussion serves as a tool to vent their usual frustrations.

The best way is not to get involved, life will find its way. :messenger_winking:

Lunarorbit

Did I completely miss the state of play or is it at 4? I guess I could just look it up but I'm a little concerned that the only thing people are talking about is the ghost sequel.

It must have been yesterday

Monkfish877

Are you willing to go further on what is and isn't "fantasy" sir? Or will you begin and end at a "FEMALE" samurai?
There's no evidence of female samurai existing in Japan, it's not historically accurate, that's all I'm saying. The game is what it is, those who want to enjoy it should enjoy it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's no evidence of female samurai existing in Japan, it's not historically accurate, that's all I'm saying. The game is what it is, those who want to enjoy it should enjoy it.
Very rare and there were no where near the same number as their male counterparts, but there were women warriors in Japan.

There's even a book about the subject if you're interested.

9781846039515.webp

Bernardougf

Oh and btw anyone going kill bill sucks, uma thurman played a girlboss blergh blorgh can go suck it
That woman took several beatings and losses .. even being raped before achieving her vengeance... she definitely dosent fit the modern girl boss mary sue trope.. she even dared to love a man and being straight .....and worst of all.. she had big femine breasts

Last edited:

Zathalus

Of course female Samurai didn’t exist. It’s a term associated with the male warrior class. However female warriors did exist and they were called Onna-musha. They were quite rare of course, as all woman warriors were, but they did exist.

Last edited:

Monkfish877

They weren't Samurai, if you look hard enough
Of course female Samurai didn’t exist. It’s a term associated with the male warrior class. However female warriors did exist and they were called Onna-musha. They were quite rare of course, as all woman warriors were, but they did exist.
Yup, you'll find a handful of warrior women in all cultures if you look hard enough.

Reaseru

To end my part in this discussion for the time being, I see a lot of people saying there were no samurai women in that period in Japan.

Who said the protagonist is going to be a female samurai during the game story?

She is supposed to be a ghost, a ninja, an assassin. The whole point with Ghost of Tsushima story was Jin's transition from being a samurai to an assassin, because that was the island people needed during the Mongol evasion. They needed a Batman. The man even fought his uncle because he didn't accepted Jin's actions as the Ghost, and abandoning the Bushido's way.

She doesn't need to be a samurai at the begining of the story...because she is going to be the Ghost pratically during the entirely of the game. She can be a Onna-musha who saw her entire family mudered and became something else to go after the murderers. Lady Masako (I think it was her) did the same in the original.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They weren't Samurai.
Who said she is Samurai?

Seems she's a Ghost/Ronin. Just like nobody complained about the female twin in Rise of the Ronin. Or a myriad of Japanese games and film.

The region she is in was known to not be a part of any emperor or Shogun rule like other parts of Japan. It was more ronin or people getting away from the clans, criminals escaping their past, predators looking for prey, etc.. Japan's wild west, essentially.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
There literally were female samurai though.

1-p3znf4ksp6dvv7lj7gqlq.png

Anti-Woke is really starting to get pathetic and paranoid.

There have been women warriors of all stripe since time immemorial. Israeli, Kurdish, and Ukrainian women soldiers in this modern day are racking up kills. Some of the greatest snipers of all time were Nordic women. Because when it comes to war everyone isn't wrestling or fist fighting - they are killing each other with weapons. Hell, a woman just won Olympic gold for the best sharp shooter.

For samurais they're trying to kill each other with really sharp swords. So it doesn't matter how strong one is. A woman can best a man easily in this situation if she is simply better with a sword or gets lucky.

point decay

the game looks incredible, hope we dont have to wait too many years for it on PC, and the outrage over a female protag is fecking hysterical

killatopak

Gold Member
There have been women warriors of all stripe since time immemorial. Israeli, Kurdish, and Ukrainian women soldiers in this modern day are racking up kills. Some of the greatest snipers of all time were Nordic women. Because when it comes to war everyone isn't wrestling or fist fighting - they are killing each other with weapons. Hell, a woman just won Olympic gold for the best sharp shooter.

For samurais they're trying to kill each other with really sharp swords. So it doesn't matter how strong one is. A woman can best a man easily in this situation if she is simply better with a sword or gets lucky.
Matchlocks are present in the time period of GoT2 as well.

6RJh8we.jpeg

R6Rider

Gold Member
Factually untrue. There have been something like 30+ AAA games (so not counting indies or AA or games that share protagonists like Ratchet or Alan Wake) in the past 5 years with male leads. Including Ghost of Tsushima funnily enough.
You're right.

A quick check of most major games since 2017 amounts to roughly 66% percent of games having a male main character. This is not including games where you can choose.

Monkfish877

Who said she is Samurai?

Seems she's a Ghost/Ronin. Just like nobody complained about the female twin in Rise of the Ronin. Or a myriad of Japanese games and film.

The region she is in was known to not be a part of any emperor or Shogun rule like other parts of Japan. It was more ronin or people getting away from the clans, criminals escaping their past, predators looking for prey, etc.. Japan's wild west, essentially.
If she isn't samurai then fair enough

GinSama

Really don't care if is a woman or a man...still hyped.....but gonna be honest I wish suckerpunch would show some love to infamous or sly would be awesome a big PS5 game of these two ip.

moogman

Neo Member
It looks graphically good, so hopefully the story is a bit more engrossing than the first. That's what was lacking a bit for me in the first game.

While Sony counts hundreds of millions of dollars in losses after Concord and the Ubisoft dumpster fire continues to burn, people are thirsty for blood.

I'm honestly excited about the impending demise of pushy activism in an industry that doesn't need it.
There will also be those who are too excited, trying to cancel everything that even slightly deviates from the right path, also fanboys for whom the current climate of discussion serves as a tool to vent their usual frustrations.

The best way is not to get involved, life will find its way. :messenger_winking:
I wish I understood what the hell this comment is trying to say.

If you think Ghost of Yotei is going to be as bad as Concord, then all the power to you.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

If you think Ghost of Yotei is going to be as bad as Concord, then all the power to ye.

I mean you have people who think AC Shadows will be bad cause Outlaws, I don't even get any of this logic btw as theses are different teams, different genres etc lol

Be like "after seeing how Concord turned out, I don't know if a game made by a different team, regarding a different genre, from an existing IP will do well" ....

NEbeast

I played female V in CP2077 and I was even given the choice to play as a man in that game, so it has nothing to do with playing a woman. But if you're making a realistic historical game, you have a duty to represent it as it was then and not as you wished it would've been based on your current world ideology. To do otherwise is a clear attempt to rewrite history which for me is one of the pillars of wokness, it's one of the ideology's goals. This is on the same level as having a one-armed woman serving in the british army during WW2 for me.
This isn't a historical game. Grow the fuck up. You're talking bollocks.

Having a sword doesn't make you a Samurai. Samurai were warriors and a social class, not unlike Knights in European Medieval history.

Just cause the leading lady of Yotei is using a sword, doesn't mean she's a samurai. She's a woman with a sword. Nobody is claiming that she is a samurai, except for people mistakenly giving her that designation simply because she's Japanese and has a sword.
Lets not even forget that Yotei wasn't even under Japanese control, so its entirely possible that no warrior in that region could even be considered a Samurai; man or woman. Which renders this whole "women weren't samurai" copium from people who don't understand the history they purport to defend, completely moot.

This is like when dumb people complained about a white man playing the pan flute at the original Ghost of Tsushima reveal, despite him being one of the handful remaining Japan-recognised grandmasters.
Except now its in reverse.

Honestly.

Last edited:

Monkfish877

Yes, they weren’t Samurai but they were clearly warriors, and enough of them existed that a game about a woman warrior at the start of the Edo period is fine.
Fair enough but my point still stands, I don't like seeing women on the battlefield, men are the protectors of women and children, this is how it has always been, it's one of the principles of every civilisation that has ever existed, no matter how much the social engineers try to push this "women are as capable as men" nonsense in western culture, it will never work, I promise you this, human nature will always reject social conditioning on this matter.

Last edited:

moogman

Neo Member
Having a sword doesn't make you a Samurai. Samurai were warriors and a social class, not unlike Knights in European Medieval history.

Just cause the leading lady of Yotei is using a sword, doesn't mean she's a samurai. She's a woman with a sword.
Honestly.
Correct, she'd be an Onna-musha who fought alongside Samurai men.

This trailer blew my mind. I would buy a PS5 for that. Maybe even a Pro. I’ve been waiting for a reason to jump in.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Fair enough but my point still stands, I don't like seeing women on the battlefield, men are the protectors of women and children, this is how it has always been, it's one of the principles of every civilisation that has ever existed, no matter how much these social engineers try to push this "women are as capable as men" nonsense in western culture, it will never work, I promise you this, human nature will always reject social conditioning on this matter.
It’s a video game. Make believe. If you don’t like woman in your make believe battlefield then you need to go back a few thousand years and tell everyone responsible for mythology and literature to stop adding woman warrior figures.

As for being protectors of woman and children? I’m afraid to say that woman make up a third of mass graves for quite a few famous historical battles in Japan. The Japanese have never been shy of killing woman or children in their wars. The wars fought in Japan were brutal affairs, its nothing more then a feel good fairy tale to pretend men were out there protecting woman and children.

Last edited:

JayK47

I couldn't get into the Infamous games and I thought Ghost of Tsushima was decent enough. Not super duper awesome. But I did enjoy it enough to finish it. I didn't see a reason to play it again though.

I am curious why so many people seem to hold Sucker Punch in such high regard and seem to think they are untouchable, like they could never succumb to DEI etc. I do see several red flags in what little has been shown. One can always hope it ends up being a great game, but I would be cautiously optimistic at best.

Monkfish877

Fair enough but my point still stands, I don't like seeing women on the battlefield, men are the protectors of women and children, this is how it has always been, it's one of the principles of every civilisation that has ever existed, no matter how much the social engineers try to push this "women are as capable as men" nonsense in western culture, it will never work, I promise you this, human nature will always reject social conditioning on this matter.

It’s a video game. Make believe. If you don’t like woman in your make believe battlefield then you need to go back a few thousand years and tell everyone responsible for mythology and literature to stop adding woman warrior figures.

As for being protectors of woman and children? I’m afraid to say that woman make up a third of mass graves for quite a few famous historical battles in Japan. The Japanese have never been shy of killing woman or children in their wars. The wars fought in Japan were brutal affairs, its nothing more then a feel good fairy tale to pretend men were out there protecting woman and children.
I know it's just a video game, it's the agenda behind it that grates a lot of us, I'm done with this topic, it's getting nauseating

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Correct, she'd be an Onna-musha who fought alongside Samurai men.
I'm not sure its going to matter tbh. They can call her a Samurai and what would it really matter? The game isn't telling you a 1.1 biography of anyone

So I wouldn't be shocked if they just say she is a Samurai as I feel I need to remind people, this is a fictional video game for fun, just like how that had fire swords and arrows and dream sequences and fighting demons and a whole underworld, this isn't seeking to tell some hardcore exact thing, so chances are I don't know how much of any of this would even matter to them.

It’s a video game. Make believe.
its wild this has to be reminded...

I am curious why so many people seem to hold Sucker Punch in such high regard and seem to think they are untouchable, like they could never succumb to DEI etc. I do see several red flags in what little has been shown. One can always hope it ends up being a great game, but I would be cautiously optimistic at best.

Well even in 2020 with the first game, people questioned the old lady and why is she fighting and a bunch of stuff

Monkfish877

I couldn't get into the Infamous games and I thought Ghost of Tsushima was decent enough. Not super duper awesome. But I did enjoy it enough to finish it. I didn't see a reason to play it again though.

Yeah, the first game I thought was mid but I still enjoyed it, beautiful graphics though, looked amazing on my tv.

From what I read Hokkaido in 1603 isn't the land for samurai. . Hokkaido was not fully under Japanese control until 19th century. Like they said in the trailer, Hokkaido is like wild west for criminal and outlaws. So it's pretty cool setting for the game. And that might explain why the music and some scene looks like cowboy movie.

I think there is war between Japan with native people called Ainu live in Hokkaido. If you guys read the manga Golden Kamuy, you probably know about Ainu. I don't think Atsu is Ainu because Ainu woman usually has tattoo around their mouth. But can't rule out all the options.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

If you think Ghost of Yotei is going to be as bad as Concord, then all the power to you.

The point is that people will just throw everything into one bag, regardless of what product we are actually dealing with. There is nothing woke in the trailer, although for some people the fact that we are dealing with a female character is enough. But if it doesn't really matter, you can bring up the voice actress and her strange habits from her private life as a reason to complain, using it as evidence of the game's "wokness" or at least a bad omen of some kind.
It's like jumping from one extreme to another, the entire discussion focuses then on one thing only.

I think people have become too hasty or see it as an opportunity to mock the brand.

For me, everything i saw so far is fine and i see no reason to panic.

moogman

Neo Member
So I wouldn't be shocked if they just say she is a Samurai as I feel I need to remind people, this is a fictional video game for fun, just like how that had fire swords and arrows and dream sequences and fighting demons and a whole underworld, this isn't seeking to tell some hardcore exact thing, so chances are I don't know how much of any of this would even matter to them.
I agree, it's a game and the immersion is what's important rather than accuracy and how the character is portrayed.

strike670

Neo Member
So some here are also attempting to discredit the game and refusing to play it due to the actresses political views. I just can't anymore. I am most definitely not a conservative, but I still enjoy watching old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and really like several of his films he has directed as well. I have just grown tired of people expecting everyone to align with their political views or root for the same sports team or whatever else makes them feel validated, in order for them to enjoy a performance, or a game or a film. Not everyone has to think or feel exactly like you. And that is ok, as long as they are not hurting others.

Matchlocks are present in the time period of GoT2 as well.

6RJh8we.jpeg
Not to diminish your point (we see a matchlock musket in the trailer) but that looks like a lever-action rifle to me. Like from the late 1800s.

So some here are also attempting to discredit the game and refusing to play it due to the actresses political views.
Can't really blame 'em. Those tactics have become popularized in the culture war and now everyone's using them.

strike670

Neo Member
Not to diminish your point (we see a matchlock musket in the trailer) but that looks like a lever-action rifle to me. Like from the late 1800s.

Can't really blame 'em. Those tactics have become popularized in the culture war and now everyone's using them.
And who honestly cares about her personal beliefs in the context of playing a game. None of that stuff is going to be in this game. I think a lot of this is projection and people wanting 24/7 safe places. I saw people freaking out about Stellar blade at resetera and then people here freaking out about game characters being unattractive. Two sides of the same coin. The facts are that there is nothing wrong with having both. Let the creators determine where they want to go and then people will or will not buy it.

killatopak

Gold Member

That was a joke picture lol. It was not meant to be taken seriously. I thought that using the gun at the same time as the bow would make that evident enough.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I can appreciate some people really want historical accuracy in storytelling but it's not anyone's responsibility making something that's clearly just entertainment accurate.

I would prefer most games drop all of the narrative personally lol Would solve a lot of these issues!

Last edited:

jburdick7

Neo Member
I have my concerns with the protag but they don’t really stem from historical accuracy or immersion or anything like that. Given how SuckerPunch handled things with the first game I think they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt regarding their portrayal of Japan, Japanese culture, and Japanese history (at least they have from me). I’d draw a comparison to Blue Eyed Samurai on Netflix which was fantastic. Don’t recall anyone up in arms about the female samurai (whose gender and choice to present as a male was a major plot point) in that. No one cares if the story is well made and well told.

What concerns me (and what SuckerPunch does NOT have the benefit of the doubt from me on) is if the protag is gonna be an annoying, unlikable girlboss with no flaws, struggles, or growth throughout the game (I.E. hamfisted writing). And I have absolutely zero trust in western studios writing complex, interesting female protagonists at this point (especially with Sony’s track record of late). The only reason this is even a gendered issue is because the slacktivists have continued to use the notion of a female protagonist as a hammer to wield in culture wars instead of just telling good stories.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m not optimistic and won’t be getting hyped about the game until I see reviews from people I trust. I’ve been burned one too many times, especially by Sony.

And who honestly cares about her personal beliefs in the context of playing a game. None of that stuff is going to be in this game. I think a lot of this is projection and people wanting 24/7 safe places. I saw people freaking out about Stellar blade at resetera and then people here freaking out about game characters being unattractive. Two sides of the same coin. The facts are that there is nothing wrong with having both. Let the creators determine where they want to go and then people will or will not buy it.
It's all part of identity politics. And while it's fine to blame everyone who engages with that, you have to remember it wasn't the game enthusiast who brought that into the hobby and the industry. It was the ideologues and the progressives who let them get away with it. Now we're all stuck with this insufferable shit.

Top Bottom