• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei hype check...

Where do you land on Ghost of Yotei?

• Played Ghost of Tsushima. Planning on playing Ghost of Yotei.

• Played Tsushima. Won't play Ghost of Yotei.

• Didn't play Tsushima. Planning on playing Ghost of Yotei.

• Didn't play Tsushima. Won't play Ghost of Yotei.

Results are only viewable after voting.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Played Tsushi back when it came out on PS4. The combat was cool and the environments pretty, but I got bored in the middle of act 2.

Don't think I'll ever play the new one, but it looks cool.

This was me but I’m about to finish it on PC. It’s not mindblowing amazing game but it’s better than most AAA schlock of recent years.

I would be more hyped if they kept Jin and didn’t opt for a gurl boss protag but I’m sure it will be good.

FewRope

I mean, my hype level was pretty high, but if you're throwing this out there you're going to create unreasonable levels of expectation and I can only get so hard.
She has a list that is in a piece of fabric, covering it with the blood of her victims, one name at a time. I am pretty sure the western like music is not a coincidence, this is going to be legit good if they are full revenge story

Last edited:

nial

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Never seen a gaf hype check just 2 days after an announcement, it's usually done closer to something releasing to gauge interest, not sure what Xbox has to do with that.
Why wouldn't there be hype right after the announcement? And you have an entirely different reaction to Xbox reveals is why I bring it up. Should be pretty obvious.
I would actually give sapple this one. Just look at who's the OP and his opinion on the game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Probably because the for the far majority of woman the gulf between a man and a woman are quite large. It takes far more effort for a woman to train her body up to a decent standard and for most historical forms of combat strength and battlefield endurance played a major role. Sourcing weapons and armour for all the troops could prove a challenge as well. Throw on top of all of that the cultural expectations and its quite clear why woman troops were never really used.

Most of those reasons don’t apply when talking about an exceptional solitary female ronin type character. She could be in the 0.1% of physical abilities for a woman, pushed her body to the limits, and was trained by a master in kenjutsu and other forms of combat. The is the wandering samurai / hidden master trope, not the type of person you’d expect to serve as a grunt in the army.
If this Ronda Rousey type Shonin is killing farmers and drunk sexists in bars...fine.

I get the feeling she's going to be killing a ton of male Samurai though, often outnumbered.

Vlodril

If this Ronda Rousey type Shonin is killing farmers and drunk sexists in bars...fine.

I get the feeling she's going to be killing a ton of male Samurai though, often outnumbered.

So what? Uma therman killed everything that moved in Kill Bill and it was an awesome character and movie. And it's not just women. Is it realistic Nathan Drake killed hundreds of men per game and climbed like he was Spider-man? No. Who cares if it's fun.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hype =/= Hype Checks. You don't need to keep giving it a fanboy-tinge.

Historically hype check style threads are made on GAF when something is closer to release.

A bit puzzling to see a hype check topic for something that just got announced.

XMlKj35.png
People wanted more adventure in the universe and been waiting far too long for first party banger announcements.

Last edited:

ap_puff

I want to see the people in here complaining about the wahmen lead also complaining about how chun li is able to beat up someone like m. bison LOL. Or any of the tekken characters, especially when they're all ass and boobs. We all know it isn't about believability or realism.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wish there was an option to "wait and see if the game will be good".

Functionally they just need to copy the same mechanics and it should be fine. Any enhancements over that's like gun combat , hopefully handled well.

Last edited:
I give my level of interest in this game a "I wanted to continue Jin's story, not play as any new character, no matter if they're a girl or a guy" out of 10.

delishcaek

Neo Member
No, they weren't.
Yes, they were.

No one is arguing that they were capable fighters going head to head with an equally trained dude, the point is that these woman existed. It doesn't matter if it's embellished, it doesn't matter if they were only used as canon fodder in battles and it was later written that they fought valiantly. (we have forensic evidence of historic battlefields stating that lots of females were present)

This all doesn't matter, what matters is that they existed and they aren't just a side note in some lord's diary where he states that he was amused to have seen a woman carry a blade. This isn't some western moron inventing female warriors who fought proudly alongside men. No, this is all written down in Japanese historic documents, be it scrolls with drawings depicting such woman or tales of them... there is something there to build upon and that is what counts!

I am not saying that I am hoping to see #Girlbossing, I certainly hope that won't be the case, but SP was so meticulous with Tsushima that I don't see that happening. If they repeat what they did with Tsushima then it will be authentic enough.

kiphalfton

Horizon 2 left a real sour taste in my mouth when it came to "map clearers" but I'll definitely play Ghost 2 and just mainline it in a weekend.

Just not spending 60 hours on the platinum. I think the time of me running around an open world map between icons doing everything has passed.

Yeah... I have a good time for the first 10 hours or so, but it becomes a real slog after that.

This is all open world games for me, even GTA. It just wears its welcome out way too quickly, as you've seen pretty much all the side missions in that time frame.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Double dipped the first game. Planning on doing the same with this one. I hope we get a wolf companion. Animals look way more detailed this time. The dogs in the first game were like small furballs lol

KiteGr

I'll wait before deciding.
GoT was beautiful, but got stale after a while.
GoY seems promising, but I'm hearing a woketard is heading it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm as hyped as I would be for a pretty damn decent assassins creed game.

I think i scored the first one around a 7.5 to 8. Loved the atmosphere. Genuinely fell asleep a couple of long game sessions playing it because it was so chill. Loved the vibes when hunting down the hot springs etc

I just remember the side stuff being rinse and repeat. Still a pretty damn decent first effort.

Radical_3d

I might consider if they get rid of the open world bs classic design of stupid secondaries. But I don’t see them change gears.

Humdinger

I don't like woke crap, but the cries of "woke" in this instance are a little embarrassing. The only woke red flag is something the voice actress said (I'm not even sure what) that had woke overtones. But it's just the voice actress, not the director or narrative lead or even community manager. I'm not surprised that we found a woke actress. To me, that's not the issue. The issue is whether the game is woke. And so far, I don't see any sign of that.

Looks like a great game. I still need to get around to playing the first... I started once but just wasn't in the mood for an open-world RPG.

Last edited:
I'm hoping it's not another GoW where it's just more of the same. I really hope we get better camera angles.

Last edited:

eerik9000

I haven't played Tsushima yet, but all the recent big Sony sequels have been rather disappointing to me on the narrative/story side.

TLOU Part II -- great technical and gameplay improvements, dogshit narrative
Forbidden West -- great technical and gameplay improvements, bloated unengaging narrative
Ragnarök -- great technical and gameplay improvements, bloated unengaging narrative

I think Yotei being set 300 years later and not being a direct sequel to Tsushima was a wise choice. I will probably pick up Tsushima when it goes on sale for €40 or less.

That being said, Uncharted 2 is my least favourite of the series, but everybody else seems to love it...

Top Bottom