• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei hype check...

Where do you land on Ghost of Yotei?

• Played Ghost of Tsushima. Planning on playing Ghost of Yotei.

• Played Tsushima. Won't play Ghost of Yotei.

• Didn't play Tsushima. Planning on playing Ghost of Yotei.

• Didn't play Tsushima. Won't play Ghost of Yotei.

Results are only viewable after voting.

FrankWza

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I think people need to look past the western comfort and privileges afforded to modern folk, and look back to when they literally had to fight for survival without said protections and privileges centuries ago in various societies.

Where men always bigger, stronger, and faster on average? Yes. Were there times in history where women were trained since birth in warfare and battle ready due to necessities and culture of the time compared to the pampered/privileged societies we have now? Yes.

I am still going to give them the benefit of the doubt, despite all the ideological injections plaguing western gaming the past several years, and that is only due to them taking care through research and historical consulting with the first game.

If they do indeed add all the modern ideological notes in this one, then I'm out, sadly.
They are fans or kurosawa and he used themes that definitely don't align with today's views. Rape and women trading sex for safety. I don't know how dark they will go, but her being in either of those scenarios and then trying to train for revenge is a possibility.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I didn't even like Tsushima (IMO it looked great but everything else about it was very mid) so I'm defo skipping Yotei

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
David was a man who used a ranged weapon on a 1,000:1 shot

Yotei is a woman who uses melee and will kill 1,000 male Samurai

See the difference?
Ronin are hunting her. She could be mythical as well.

They are fans or kurosawa and he used themes that definitely don't align with today's views. Rape and women trading sex for safety. I don't know how dark they will go, but her being in either of those scenarios and then trying to train for revenge is a possibility.
Kurosawa was heavily influenced by American/Spaghetti westerns for his film making. Ronin especially in Yotei region at that time which wasn't part of Emperor's Japan, were very much interchangeable/relatable with American west or Spanish/Portuguese cowboys. Did not want to be governed by other men, had ranches, raised some of the best horses in the region, fantastic riders, raised cattle, etc..

Explains the cowboy-like tones and feels like a natural evolution blend of Kurosawa's western influence.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Ronin are hunting her. She could be mythical as well.

Kurosawa was heavily influenced by American/Spaghetti westerns for his film making. Ronin especially in Yotei region at that time which wasn't part of Emperor's Japan, were very much interchangeable/relatable with American west or Spanish/Portuguese cowboys. Did not want to be governed by other men, had ranches, raised some of the best horses in the region, fantastic riders, raised cattle, etc..

Explains the cowboy-like tones and feels like a natural evolution blend of Kurosawa's western influence.
I thought kurosawa influenced the western genre more than he was influenced but yeah definitely similar. If she found herself in a situation like Jin after the invasion she would be taken advantage of.
Edit: like the bride was in the hospital in kill bill. It's a common theme in Samurai/cowboy movies

Last edited:
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I think people need to look past the western comfort and privileges afforded to modern folk, and look back to when they literally had to fight for survival without said protections and privileges centuries ago in various societies.

Where men always bigger, stronger, and faster on average? Yes. Were there times in history where women were trained since birth in warfare and battle ready due to necessities and culture of the time compared to the pampered/privileged societies we have now? Yes.

I am still going to give them the benefit of the doubt, despite all the ideological injections plaguing western gaming the past several years, and that is only due to them taking care through research and historical consulting with the first game.

If they do indeed add all the modern ideological notes in this one, then I'm out, sadly.
I agree with this. If there isn’t a script that’s cringeworthy, then it shouldn’t be a big deal. But if there is an obvious agenda, then I’m out. But there have been plenty of female led games that have been fantastic and a few that I can think of are Lara Croft, Samus, and Joanna Dark. They’ve all been bad ass.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You know what is far more unrealistic than a woman daring to use a sword? That a man with a katana and wearing hakama could possibly defeat somebody wearing some form of heavy steel armor and wielding a spear or polearm, never mind several of them at once. Something like that is basically flat out impossible. Did you rage about that as well in the first game?
Wrong.

Very few people have an understanding of which blades can go through which material because we didn't grow up with samurai swords and heavy armor. Videogames make armored enemies a little tougher to show you it's benefit.

Everyone who grew up around women know they aren't nearly as physical or athletic as men so the fantasy is far less believable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I thought kurosawa influenced the western genre more than he was influenced but yeah definitely similar. If she found herself in a situation like Jin after the invasion she would be taken advantage of.
Edit: like the bride was in the hospital in kill bill. It's a common theme in Samurai/cowboy movies
Kurosawa influence George Lucas with Star Wars. But he himself was influenced by western filmmaker John Ford.

The Westerns made by Ford were revered by Kurosawa. “From the very beginning I respected John Ford,” said Kurosawa. “I have always paid close attention to his films and they have influenced me, I think.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'll play it in 3 years when it comes to PC. As far as hype...I very rarely get really excited over sequels. I also kinda wanted to see what was next for Jin Sakai...so this is somewhat tempering my excitement as well, going into a new story altogether.

I just finished Ghost of Tsushima this year. I have it on PS4 and stopped playing part way through because...honestly I got bored. Same thing happened with Horizon Zero Dawn. Years later I double dipped on both PC which was a far greater experience and I found I was able to complete them both. I don't think that's because the games themselves so much as I was distracted by other games back when they first released. My preferences in games have expanded since then and I do play many more single player games nowadays.

Overall, I'll say it isn't enough to make me buy a PS5 or a PS5 Pro, as I think only the Naughty Dog IP or a new Bloodborne would tempt me to spend that kinda money.

So I guess I'm saying I'm glad it's happening...but I'm not like losing my shit over it by any stretch.

Bernardougf

Wont play at launch thats for sure.. if the Reception by users is very good I might get down the line at a discount... Im genuinely saturated with girl bosses right now ... nothing against this choice (for now) its just a personal preference at the moment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The magnificent seven and edit, dollars are straight up remakes of the seven Samurai and yojimbo though. I guess it came full circle at that point
That's the beauty of it all. Which makes it so fitting for this game's tone in the trailer, especially a Ronin arch.

John Ford movies like Iron Horse and Will Rogers were in the 20's and 30's, and then John Sturges & Sergio Leone films being inspired by the man who was inspired by western cinema, coming as you said, full circle.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Wrong.

Very few people have an understanding of which blades can go through which material because we didn't grow up with samurai swords and heavy armor. Videogames make armored enemies a little tougher to show you it's benefit.

Everyone who grew up around women know they aren't nearly as physical or athletic as men so the fantasy is far less believable.
Are you arguing that you would only have a problem with the realism of the armor and weapons in the game if you are not ignorant? So the dumber you are the more enjoyment you get out of it? Don’t do too much research as you’ll find out how bad the katana as a primary weapon is?

And nobody is denying woman have less strength or stamina then men. They can still be perfectly fast and lethal with a blade though. As modern Kenjutsu and fencing competitions show. It would be more then fine in a game not striving for perfect historical accuracy.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you're ever in a fight, you want to take away your opponents advantage. David knew he couldn't wrestle Goliath so he used a range weapon to even the odds.

Sniper Wolf from MGS = Plausible fantasy
Fortune from MGS2 = Plausible fantasy
The Boss from MGS3 = GTFOoH

FrankWza

That's the beauty of it all. Which makes it so fitting for this game's tone in the trailer, especially a Ronin arch.
Crypto Hype GIF by OKX

I just couldn’t understand all the love for Ghost of Tsushima. I found it gloomy and pretty dull. So I’ll probably pass on the new game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you're ever in a fight, you want to take away your opponents advantage. David knew he couldn't wrestle Goliath so he used a range weapon to even the odds.

Sniper Wolf from MGS = Plausible fantasy
Fortune from MGS2 = Plausible fantasy
The Boss from MGS3 = GTFOoH
Non-Binaries from Concord = Bomba

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are you arguing that you would only have a problem with the realism of the armor and weapons in the game if you are not ignorant? So the dumber you are the more enjoyment you get out of it? Don’t do too much research as you’ll find out how bad the katana as a primary weapon is?
This is such common sense.

Yes.

Surely you've noticed historians and history buffs have a harder time watching movies like Gladiator and Braveheart right? Their knowledge in the subject matter makes inaccuracies stand out much more. People who are ignorant of history can much more easily buy the fiction.

This can not be news to you?
And nobody is denying woman have less strength or stamina then men. They can still be perfectly fast and lethal with a blade though. As modern Kenjutsu and fencing competitions show. It would be more then fine in a game not striving for perfect historical accuracy.
I would bet that the top male fencers are better than the top female fencer. It's also quite clear that fencing relies on reflex much more than strength and endurance which could help women close the gap in terms of performance.

Zathalus

This is such common sense.

Yes.

Surely you've noticed historians and history buffs have a harder time watching movies like Gladiator and Braveheart right? Their knowledge in the subject matter makes inaccuracies stand out much more. People who are ignorant of history can much more easily buy the fiction.

This can not be news to you?

I would bet that the top male fencers are better than the top female fencer. It's also quite clear that fencing relies on reflex much more than strength and endurance which could help women close the gap in terms of performance.
Of course it’s not news to me, it’s such a weird take though, you’d enjoy the game more if you remain dumb.

Or, like many other historical nerds manage to do, just don’t care and enjoy it for what it is?

And you say fencing relies on reflexes to close the gap in performance? Kind of like… swordfighting?

Last edited:

nikos

Never finished Tsushima. Zero hype for this game but may still buy on PC and never finish it.

I should go back to Tsushima at some point.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Of course it’s not news to me, it’s such a weird take though, you’d enjoy the game more if you remain dumb.
Suspension of disbelief is obviously linked with knowledge of subject matter. This shouldn't be a weird take, it should be common sense.
Or, like many other historical nerds manage to do, just don’t care and enjoy it for what it is?
I've found that to be rare. If you care about a subject matter, you give less leeway to inaccuracies.
And you say fencing relies on reflexes to close the gap in performance? Kind of like… swordfighting?
Sword fighting rewards strength (male advantage), endurance (male advantage), and reflexes (male advantage). Diminishing 2/3 male advantages would likely close the gap.

FrankWza

Never finished Tsushima. Zero hype for this game but may still buy on PC and never finish it.

I should go back to Tsushima at some point.
To me the setting is one of the reasons open world fatigue doesn't happen in the game. I know everyone is different but I personally can't say that for most open world games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So you felt no hype whatsoever after any reveals at the Xbox showcase this year, huh?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Never seen a gaf hype check just 2 days after an announcement, it's usually done closer to something releasing to gauge interest, not sure what Xbox has to do with that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To me the setting is one of the reasons open world fatigue doesn't happen in the game. I know everyone is different but I personally can't say that for most open world games.
Agreed. The game made me want to keep exploring and soaking it all in. RDR2 did the same for me as well.

I can't say that for most others.

Topher

Gold Member
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Never seen a gaf hype check just 2 days after an announcement, it's usually done closer to something releasing to gauge interest, not sure what Xbox has to do with that.

Why wouldn't there be hype right after the announcement? And you have an entirely different reaction to Xbox reveals is why I bring it up. Should be pretty obvious.

OH SHIT ITS EMERGENCE DAY !!

Yep. Emergence Day.

midnightAI

I'm not sure.

I'm still annoyed Jin isn't in this. I've been dreaming for years where they could take the sequel with Jin, but now all those dreams are dashed.
Just curious, with Jin on the run/in hiding from the Shogun, how did you imagine a sequel to be? (And he certainly isn't going to fight the Shogun)

Zathalus

Suspension of disbelief is obviously linked with knowledge of subject matter. This shouldn't be a weird take, it should be common sense.

I've found that to be rare. If you care about a subject matter, you give less leeway to inaccuracies.

Sword fighting rewards strength (male advantage), endurance (male advantage), and reflexes (male advantage). Diminishing 2/3 male advantages would likely close the gap.
Sword fighting with a katana rewards technique, reflexes, and speed above all else. Strength helps a bit, but the fighting styles associated with the katana are mostly not about overcoming your opponent with brute strength.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why wouldn't there be hype right after the announcement? And you have an entirely different reaction to Xbox reveals is why I bring it up. Should be pretty obvious.

Hype =/= Hype Checks. You don't need to keep giving it a fanboy-tinge.

Historically hype check style threads are made on GAF when something is closer to release.

A bit puzzling to see a hype check topic for something that just got announced.

XMlKj35.png

FewRope

Talking about Kill Bill, I think this game it's going to have a similar tone to that

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sword fighting with a katana rewards technique, reflexes, and speed above all else. Strength helps a bit, but the fighting styles associated with the katana are mostly not about overcoming your opponent with brute strength.
If women fighting with swords was as effective as you believe, history would be littered with female warriors.

Instead, all the cultures around the world, since the dawn of time said "It's better if you just stay home and hope we win. Doubling our warriors (+100%) yields minimal military benefit."

nnytk

New game is looking good. I think I did 75% of the main story in GoT but then I got stuck on the DLC island for a bit and kinda dropped it.

I had most fun tracking down the clothing/fashion side stuff 😅 and exploring and messing around with the combat.

But something about GoT felt waaaay too repetitive. I hope the sequel fixes that.

Topher

Gold Member
Hype =/= Hype Checks. You don't need to keep giving it a fanboy-tinge.

Historically hype check style threads are made on GAF when something is closer to release.

A bit puzzling to see a hype check topic for something that just got announced.

XMlKj35.png

Fair enough. In my defense, I've got full-on F5 frazzle brain going on right now from staring at the gotdang PS direct queue this morning.

Jimmy Fallon Running GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Zathalus

If women fighting with swords was as effective as you believe, history would be littered with female warriors.

Instead, all the cultures around the world, since the dawn of time said "It's better if you just stay home and hope we win. Doubling our warriors (+100%) yields minimal military benefit."
Probably because the for the far majority of woman the gulf between a man and a woman are quite large. It takes far more effort for a woman to train her body up to a decent standard and for most historical forms of combat strength and battlefield endurance played a major role. Sourcing weapons and armour for all the troops could prove a challenge as well. Throw on top of all of that the cultural expectations and its quite clear why woman troops were never really used.

Most of those reasons don’t apply when talking about an exceptional solitary female ronin type character. She could be in the 0.1% of physical abilities for a woman, pushed her body to the limits, and was trained by a master in kenjutsu and other forms of combat. The is the wandering samurai / hidden master trope, not the type of person you’d expect to serve as a grunt in the army.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Talking about Kill Bill, I think this game it's going to have a similar tone to that
I mean, my hype level was pretty high, but if you're throwing this out there you're going to create unreasonable levels of expectation and I can only get so hard.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just curious, with Jin on the run/in hiding from the Shogun, how did you imagine a sequel to be? (And he certainly isn't going to fight the Shogun)

I imagined Jin moving to Kyushu, which could be fitting as the island is historically associated with exile. However, fighting the Mongols again could be a little boring, so I thought about the Shogun hunting Jin (not in person of course) mixed with a conflict with the Shimazu clan.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Played Tsushi back when it came out on PS4. The combat was cool and the environments pretty, but I got bored in the middle of act 2.

Don't think I'll ever play the new one, but it looks cool.

midnightAI

I imagined Jin moving to Kyushu, which could be fitting as the island is historically associated with exile. However, fighting the Mongols again could be a little boring, so I thought about the Shogun hunting Jin (not in person of course) mixed with a conflict with the Shimazu clan.
Interesting, I just have this ideology of Jin living his life out as a quiet farmer, in hiding but living his life peacefully (wouldnt make a very exciting game, Farm Simulator Japan 1280)

Top Bottom