• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Yotei hype check...

Where do you land on Ghost of Yotei?

• Played Ghost of Tsushima. Planning on playing Ghost of Yotei.

• Played Tsushima. Won't play Ghost of Yotei.

• Didn't play Tsushima. Planning on playing Ghost of Yotei.

• Didn't play Tsushima. Won't play Ghost of Yotei.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
call me old fashioned but I find the idea of a woman cutting down dozens of armed men to be comically absurd
tumblr_posqbjmbWW1xg3d7ro4_r1_540.gif
E676D92FD0EEB24F264CE0881F490940E7E020B6
tumblr_pssybs3hCI1snz2reo2_400.gif

This the first time you are playing video games?

Last edited:
I adored the first game but it’s a hard pass on this for me… call me old fashioned but I find the idea of a woman cutting down dozens of armed men to be comically absurd. It can work in certain games if there is magic or some sort of technology involved but this franchise is more grounded and realistic in tone. As such it’s just a bad fit.
There have been quite a few non-fictional women that cut a bunch of men down.

fuck with a woman, her family, or her kingdom, and find the fuck out.

Last edited:

delishcaek

Neo Member
Can't vote, yet, so my vote goes to "Played Ghost of Tsushima. Planning on playing Ghost of Yotei." Loved GoT, it is the best game Sony has released over the past decade, however I will have to wait for the PC release or at least until the PS6 launch, whatever comes first.

I adored the first game but it’s a hard pass on this for me… call me old fashioned but I find the idea of a woman cutting down dozens of armed men to be comically absurd. It can work in certain games if there is magic or some sort of technology involved but this franchise is more grounded and realistic in tone. As such it’s just a bad fit.
Female fighters were a thing in Japan. She could easily be an Onna-musha or Onna-bugeisha (literally "woman warrior" or "woman martial artist") which were properly trained combatants who fought alongside Samurai back in the day and they took part in big battles as well. I'll only be annoyed if someone ends up calling her Samurai or Samurai woman, but it wouldn't be a big annoyance as western authors already like calling them Samurai woman.

This is not "Yasuke may or may not have been a Samurai" bullshit, there are countless records of renowned Onna-musha. This history is also why you see tons of female fighters in all kinds of Japanese pop-culture, especially in anime and manga.

Anyway... it is also comically absurd for a dude to enter a camp and cut down dozens of armed men.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There have been quite a few non-fictional women that cut a bunch of men down.

fuck with a woman, her family, or her kingdom, and find the fuck out.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I think people need to look past the western comfort and privileges afforded to modern folk, and look back to when they literally had to fight for survival without said protections and privileges centuries ago in various societies.

Where men always bigger, stronger, and faster on average? Yes. Were there times in history where women were trained since birth in warfare and battle ready due to necessities and culture of the time compared to the pampered/privileged societies we have now? Yes.

I am still going to give them the benefit of the doubt, despite all the ideological injections plaguing western gaming the past several years, and that is only due to them taking care through research and historical consulting with the first game.

If they do indeed add all the modern ideological notes in this one, then I'm out, sadly.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I'm not sure if I'm going to play it. I need to see more. And I liked the first 1, which I played through twice.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm not sure.

I'm still annoyed Jin isn't in this. I've been dreaming for years where they could take the sequel with Jin, but now all those dreams are dashed.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I played GoT
I will likely play GoY
I will use the JP dub, as i did before
I will be looking out for information on GoY’s story however

Sentenza

Female fighters were a thing in Japan.
No, they weren't.
Like almost any instance of "female fighters in history" they are a thing that existed mostly in fictions and romanticized narratives, where single episodes and isolated anomalies (i.e, "In some desperate case women of a certain clan embraced arms and tried to defend their home", often dying horribly in the process) led to heavily embellished stories (i.e. "shield maiden of the vikings fought at the side of their male brother in arms", "Valkyries and amazons were inspired by true stories of women warriors" or "kunoichi and onna-musha were the exact female equivalent of ninja and samurai").
In short: only in folk tales.

Hell, for most of the more recent Japan history (past the Edo era) even male "samurai warriors" who "spent their lives honing skills and following a strict code of honor" were already more myth than reality. A post-embellished story to give themselves credit of some righteous legacy in their past.

Most samurai past the 1600 were burocrates and functionaries; most "ninjas" of any epoch were just people dressed as farmers who spied on your daily shit if you were a relevant target".
Exactly like their European equivalents (nobles and "knights") many samurai received same bare minimum of martial training and didn't focus anywhere near as much on "living a life of virtue" as their literary counterparts.

Last edited:

recursive

I am interested but will wait to buy to make sure there isn't any woke shit. A bit skeptical based on the activist voice actor.

Can't vote, yet, so my vote goes to "Played Ghost of Tsushima. Planning on playing Ghost of Yotei." Loved GoT, it is the best game Sony has released over the past decade, however I will have to wait for the PC release or at least until the PS6 launch, whatever comes first.

Female fighters were a thing in Japan. She could easily be an Onna-musha or Onna-bugeisha (literally "woman warrior" or "woman martial artist") which were properly trained combatants who fought alongside Samurai back in the day and they took part in big battles as well. I'll only be annoyed if someone ends up calling her Samurai or Samurai woman, but it wouldn't be a big annoyance as western authors already like calling them Samurai woman.

This is not "Yasuke may or may not have been a Samurai" bullshit, there are countless records of renowned Onna-musha. This history is also why you see tons of female fighters in all kinds of Japanese pop-culture, especially in anime and manga.

Anyway... it is also comically absurd for a dude to enter a camp and cut down dozens of armed men.

It’s fun to romanticise the contributions of female fighters in feudal Japan. On this topic, people seem to overestimate the capabilities of the fairer sex. In the real world, women are 50% weaker than men and have distinct height, weight and reach disadvantage.

No matter the amount of social gerrymandering at play, those are the facts. I guess it really comes down to suspension of disbelief. As the game is realistic in tone I give it less wiggle room than other titles.

Topher

Gold Member
It’s fun to romanticise the contributions of female fighters in feudal Japan. On this topic, people seem to overestimate the capabilities of the fairer sex. In the real world, women are 50% weaker than men and have distinct height, weight and reach disadvantage.

No matter the amount of social gerrymandering at play, those are the facts. I guess it really comes down to suspension of disbelief. As the game is realistic in tone I give it less wiggle room than other titles.

But GoT wasn't really that realistic as far as Jin's capabilities are concerned. I'd say a guy grappling up a mountain, taking on Mongol garrisons, etc is incredibly unrealistic. So since we are already in that realm of being entirely unrealistic, for me personally, I don't see the big deal as far as the MC being a woman.

Denton

Finished GoT earlier this year. It was pretty good but too long and ubisofty. If the second game is more of the same still filled with copy paste, I will likely pass.

But it is not definitive, maybe they will pleasantly surprise me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Were there times in history where women were trained since birth in warfare and battle ready due to necessities and culture of the time compared to the pampered/privileged societies we have now? Yes.
This is only half of the equation.

The other half is "Did the women who trained in combat their whole lives do well against men who trained in combat their whole live?"

The answer is no.

Played GoT and found it to be mostly style over substance. Imho it's Sony's version of AC with the same boring copy&paste open world design.
Not interested in GoY unless they massively improve ion that front.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Valhallah kind of broke me for Ubisoft stuff and the actress doesn't help either. But maybe on a Steam sale sometime.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Did any men anywhere do all the crazy shit Jin does in the first game?

The answer is no.
I have a great idea for a movie. Julia Roberts becomes a boxer and wins the belt in every weight division in boxing.

No man has ever done that so it's just as believable a woman could do it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I have a great idea for a movie. Julia Roberts becomes a boxer and wins the belt in every weight division in boxing.

Cuz women doing unbelievable shit never happens in movies or some such nonsense?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Im done with Sony sequels. Ragnarock sucked, Forbidden West sucked, Spiderman 2 sucked.

Topher

Gold Member
It's not an either / or concept.

It's about how much fantasy you can get away with so the narrative is believable.

No, suspension of disbelief applies to both because of the fact that what is being done is not believable in either case.

Why do you even care? You did not play the first game and you are not going to play this one.

960x0.jpg

NeoGAF, where do you fall on Ghost of Yotei?
I wasn't really a fan of the original but it was a crazy success and this game will be bigger.

The trailer has 4.2 million views already ghost had the highest Steam concurrent players and might have the highest Sony Steam user review score.

This game will be massive. Bigger than Horizon probably rivaling God of War in sales...and I say that as someone who would have preferred Sucker Punch make another Infamous game.

GymWolf

Gold Member

It depends on how her gameplay plays out, if they let her win long sword clash with 7 feet tall mongols it's one thing, but if she play all dodge and parry then it can be done with just some suspension of disbelief.

Ac shadows is doing something similar, the dude is a tank, the chick is all agility and shit with long range melee weapons.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No, suspension of disbelief applies to both because of the fact that what is being done is not believable in either case.
Again, not an either or concept. You keep trying to present it as such.

All fantasy relies on the suspension of disbelief. Once you push past a certain point, the narrative begins falling apart.

Btw, Tomotey Chalamet was horribly miscast in The King because he's 120 lbs and his battle scenes looked ridiculous.

Timothee belongs in the kitchen.

R6Rider

Gold Member
But GoT wasn't really that realistic as far as Jin's capabilities are concerned. I'd say a guy grappling up a mountain, taking on Mongol garrisons, etc is incredibly unrealistic. So since we are already in that realm of being entirely unrealistic, for me personally, I don't see the big deal as far as the MC being a woman.
The fact that Jin is one guy cutting down whole squads of enemies is already unrealistic.

It doesn't matter how good you are with a weapon. If you're facing multiple enemies, even untrained ones, you're going to get fucked up.

That whole line of logic is just them grasping at straws.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

All fantasy relies on the suspension of disbelief. Once you push past a certain point, the narrative begins falling apart.

Btw, Tomotey Chalamet was horribly miscast in The King because he's 120 lbs and his battle scenes looked ridiculous.

You know who else was miscast,

Zathalus

How about a movie where a woman becomes a world class fencer and is able to compete amongst the very best? How many men do you think can compete against Valentina Vezzali? Just watch some of her competitions, her sheer speed is incredible. Do I think she can overpower most men in strength? Certainly not. Do I think if she can absolute murder most men if given a sharp rapier? Yes. You do realise speed and skill with a sword would be far more important in this game compared to how hard you can punch someone? Most Kenjutsu focus on speed and technique above all else.

You know what is far more unrealistic than a woman daring to use a sword? That a man with a katana and wearing hakama could possibly defeat somebody wearing some form of heavy steel armor and wielding a spear or polearm, never mind several of them at once. Something like that is basically flat out impossible. Did you rage about that as well in the first game?

These Ghosts games are not supposed to be this super realistic hardcore recreations of combat. They are a homage and love letter to Japanese history, folklore, mythology, and Kurosawa films.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Have anyone seen this chick's tweets? Utter arse hat :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah I'm out. Get activism out of gaming, thanks 👍
There is a small chance that sucker punch is not as fucked as insomniac tho, maybe sony imposed the actress to them somehow...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

You keep bringing up movies as if they are interchangeable with video games. They are not. We are talking about a game where Jin repeatedly survives multiple fatal wounds because of typical video game mechanics that makes him superhuman. This would not work in a realistic movie such as what you keep referencing. But there is no reason whatsoever that this superhuman formula is less realistic with a woman than it is a man. This is how video games work. Not movies (realistic ones anyway).

Not I, bitches. I have 6 resolve pools.

Obviously Chalamet has more resolve pools than Jin.

Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Last edited:
Top Bottom