• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Ha, I live 2 miles away from the dinner Dans girlfriend was talking about. It is a strange looking place.

[img ]https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3134/2873082651_e7f60d835a_z.jpg[/img]

Looks like the LiS diner. Is it filled with underdeveloped characters too?

StoveOven

Banned
I couldn't keep up with GOTY podcasts due to some real life bullshit. So due to fear of spoilers I missed all the GAF discussions of the deliberations and awards. Would someone care to fill me in on what the most talked-about points were? I feel like the Witcher actually did better than expected so I'm hoping there wasn't too much salt from DandelionGAF.

Witcher fans just got salty that they were only discussing certain parts of the game.

Looks like the LiS diner. Is it filled with underdeveloped characters too?

I have never had the balls to go in there. It looks like its always filled with salty truckers. What you can't see is the oddity of its location. On the left and right side is a highway, its basically an oasis of tarmac with nothing in front or behind it.

strafer

Ha, I live 2 miles away from the diner Dans girlfriend was talking about. It is a strange looking place.

2873082651_e7f60d835a_z.jpg

Looks like a diner I just went to in Mafia 2.

Jeff was a salt mine, Austin was MVP, MGSV was robbed, and Mario Maker is the worst, and of course Bloodborne fans are upset.
Austin was awesome, but I think Alex was MVP. He offered the most genuinely insightful, consistent arguments throughout. I think he elevated more of his choices more than anyone else...?

Either that or I'm still HPZD from ASMR by AXNR.

Rainmaker

Banned
Alex has improved as a personality so much over the last year. I never disliked him by any means but you can really see that he's more comfortable (or at least is better at faking that he's comfortable) now. GB East has been really cool because we've had a chance to see those three grow into a unit with amazing chemistry.

Myggen

After this, Patrick has to tell Dan to go away. It has to end, both for the sake of variety and his sanity.

Don't see why he would. These streams are by far his most popular content, same with the archives on YT. There's a reason why he's playing everything made by Jeff and Dan.

M3z_

As someone who has not paid any attention to this version of Dan v Patrick is Patrick at least at the point where he knows the true solution and just needs to execute or is he still dealing with unknown? If he has figured it out how long has he known?

tomhan

Alex has improved as a personality so much over the last year. I never disliked him by any means but you can really see that he's more comfortable (or at least is better at faking that he's comfortable) now. GB East has been really cool because we've had a chance to see those three grow into a unit with amazing chemistry.

I agree that Alex has grown a lot as a personality since Vinny moved east and Austin has been added but he is still probably the quickest to rub me the wrong way. His tendency to dominate conversations he knows little about was really frustrating during the end of the year podcasts.

Megasoum

Banned
Going back to work tomorrow morning after 2 weeks off...

Aka I'm already on my 4th rhum & coke and I still have half a bottle of rhum left lol... That stream is slowly getting more and more entertaining lol.

repeater

Undertale and Fallout 4 were definitely the most discussed things with a little bit of Bloodborne salt. Most witcher/gb fans didn't even think it'd make the list so they were probably happy.
I really enjoyed the Fallout 4 discussion in "most disappointing". Jeff bringing his trademark articulate rants, with Brad and Austin trying to defend it. Some good points were made on both sides but I think Jeff and the others on that side were right that Brad and Austin are letting Bethesda off the hook too easily.

What was discussed about Undertale? Were people expecting it to do better? (Maybe if Austin hadn't used his prepared speech for Invisible Inc.:)

Jeff was a salt mine, Austin was MVP, MGSV was robbed, and Mario Maker is the worst, and of course Bloodborne fans are upset.
Personally I was surprised Bloodborne didn't get anything, and especially surprised it didn't make it into the top 10 best games. I'm not gonna be salty about it, because it's a stupid thing to get upset about, but I feel it suffered a bit due to Souls fatigue (which is fair enough, I guess) in conjunction with being released so early in the year (which is a bit more lamentable). Hearing Austin dismiss it as a "pretty good" game was still a little shocking to me, especially when his main complaints were insufficient environmental variety (which I think isn't entirely unfair, but a bit exaggerated) and healing item design (come on dude -- that's a pretty damn minor complaint!:).

About Jeff as a salt mine.. I must say I did find his approach and tone as they were getting closer to the top of the "Best game" list kind of disappointing. His loud and sarcastic reaction to one of the guys (I can't remember if it was Jason or Brad, or both?) wanting to place Rocket League over Mario Maker I just found.. kinda rude and obnoxious, especially when it's coming from Jeff who is so clearly the most senior, with "Top Dog" status. I got the impression that he was making it pretty clear that Mario Maker was going to be GOTY regardless of if he and Dan would be the only one placing it there, and regardless of whatever argument anyone was going to make against it or in favour of any other game. Which resulted in no one else really being bothered to try to make an impassioned argument for something else.

To be clear, I'm not saying SMM shouldn't be their GOTY. Without having played either of Mario Maker and MGS5, my impression is that Mario Maker is more worthy in general and especially as GB's GOTY. What I'm saying is just that the process of arriving at Mario Maker as #1 was kinda disappointing, especially with regards to Jeff's way of arguing it onto that spot. Maybe I'm being unfair, but it felt a bit like a one man show at that point.

I really enjoyed the Fallout 4 discussion in "most disappointing". Jeff bringing his trademark articulate rants, with Brad and Austin trying to defend it. Some good points were made on both sides but I think Jeff and the others on that side were right that Brad and Austin are letting Bethesda off the hook too easily.

What was discussed about Undertale? Were people expecting it to do better? (Maybe if Austin hadn't used his prepared speech for Invisible Inc.:)

Kinda. People were mad Undertale kept getting bopped from everything it was nominated for while others didn't like it, and it really escalated from there at points.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How's he getting that p-switch door jump so consistently? You know, that thing he just messed up. Must be a trick to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom