• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Brad is certainly an enigma. He's got an undying urge to doom other people's experiences with spoilers, but then if a tiny hint becomes the bane of his own play through, he suddenly turns into a vengeful spirit. He should tinker with his expectations, give up on having an axe to grind, or spoilers are just going to be a spirit breaker.

Dota2_NP-Jiggy.gif

Dragon

Banned
I know brad loves to mock and hate on people who compare technical differences between games but his recent tweet calling people here "crazy" for complaining about the lighting downgrade is really irksome. It should be reported, it is false advertising, we have been seeing footage with the old lighting system was just a month or two ago and the difference is undeniably stark and it's understandable why people would be upset. I'm surprised it's not really getting any coverage, not that it's a deal breaker or will affect my purchasing decision at all but it definitely deserves mentioning.

Most people, Brad included, only care about technical issues if it affects their enjoyment of the game. It's not like Brad would load up Tomb Raider on next gen consoles and rotate the camera for five minutes complaining about framerate :p

Khezu

I haven't been paying any attention to DS2 media, and the quick look is the first real extended footage I have seen of the game.

I know they only show off two areas, but man, DS2 is an ugly ass game.

solarus

Most people, Brad included, only care about technical issues if it affects their enjoyment of the game. It's not like Brad would load up Tomb Raider on next gen consoles and rotate the camera for five minutes complaining about framerate :p
Thing is, this is much worse than a framerate difference. I'm not one to care about framerate issues believe me or get involved in the shit fests that are digital foundry ps3 vs 360 comparisons, I've played sub 30fps games without even noticing or complaining about the framerate but I was really disappointed by the dark souls 2 downgrade from footage that they showed off not that long ago. The change is pretty dramatic.
iqKlfRFV9WByZ.gif

ibpGkNBgaNe7v.gif

People do preorder games based on the footage they are shown and I can't see this as anything other than false advertising and I'm not sure why this is not getting reported on more. Brad's tweet about people complaining about this being "crazy" is terrible.

Thing is, this is much worse than a framerate difference. I'm not one to care about framerate issues believe me or get involved in the shit fests that are digital foundry ps3 vs 360 comparisons, I've played sub 30fps games without even noticing or complaining about the framerate but I was really disappointed by the dark souls 2 downgrade from footage that they showed off not that long ago. The change is pretty dramatic.
iqKlfRFV9WByZ.gif

ibpGkNBgaNe7v.gif

People do preorder games based on the footage they are shown and I can't see this as anything other than false advertising and I'm not sure why this is not getting reported on more. Brad's tweet about people complaining about this being "crazy" is terrible.

To be fair, the thread in Neogaf about the issue went to crazy places.

iqKlfRFV9WByZ.gif

ibpGkNBgaNe7v.gif

It happens all the time in the gaming world though and with much worse examples, that's probably why it's not being talked more about... The gifs are pretty damning, but not nowhere enough to get many other than hardcore souls fans upset. Brad dismissing it completely with people being crazy is disappointing, but eh, someone asked him about it and he doesn't feel the downgrade is that bad, maybe he just really doesn't care much about the difference.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was super impressed with the lighting in those demos, but unless it looks like that in the PC version, it was complete bullshit. Hopefully they atleast call that out, it sucks for consumers to advertise it like that.
And it's not like it was some weird tech demo of a game that doesn't exist, these demos happened this year.

edit: Of course you are immediately "crazy" for thinking like that, too. Come on...

erawsd

iqKlfRFV9WByZ.gif

ibpGkNBgaNe7v.gif

I agree that its disappointing that they had to remove the lighting system, and people should be free to vent about it.

I think people get into crazy territory when they start automatically assuming that its false advertising and not a case of it being too much of a burden on the game's performance -- considering the PS3 version regularly dips below 30fps without it, I can see the latter being the case.

Zaph

iqKlfRFV9WByZ.gif
Did they actually advertise that footage as 360/PS3? I've never played a Souls game, but at first glance it's obvious that is PC/next-gen footage and not something possible for 9 year old hardware. Not just the lighting, but also the particle effects in the background and on the statues.

It reminds me of the first Watch_Dogs trailer. I saw the bokeh lighting and thought "even my £1000 pc is going to struggle with that, no way this is current gen". In fairness, Ubisoft didn't announce platforms at that point.

Into

Vinny: I know people hate menus...

Yeah some of us really do Vin-man. The South Park QL started the exact same way as the DS2 one, looking at menus, numbers and text.

By all means show the menus later on, but why not just start with the very basics? The premise of the story, and some gameplay? Now it feels like you are putting the cart before the horse.

SummitAve

Banned

Yeah some of us really do Vin-man. The South Park QL started the exact same way as the DS2 one, looking at menus, numbers and text.

By all means show the menus later on, but why not just start with the very basics? The premise of the story, and some gameplay? Now it feels like you are putting the cart before the horse.

Why does it matter? It's just a quick look it doesn't need that much direction.

Haunted

Clearly, they need to do two QLs for each game. One for the menus (driver: Brad) and one for the game (driver: Vinny).

Into

Why does it matter? It's just a quick look it doesn't need that much direction.

Because its more fun (for me) to see actual gameplay than text and numbers.

Maybe people look for different things, but when looking for a game to buy, the menus of the said game are not really what i go around and ponder about.

Giant Bomb guys are very entertaining, but even they arent entertaining enough to make a rundown of the menu seem interesting. Nobody is.

Wish they would do a football manager review, would be hilarious and even if they tried playing the game, 100% menu looking.

Ha. That would be amazing, Jeff would try to raise hotdog prices like he did in that Madden game

dan2026

Looks like Dark Souls 2 on the 360 defiantly has some screen tearing and framerate problems.

Interesting to see how the PS3 version compares.

erawsd

Because its more fun (for me) to see actual gameplay than text and numbers.

Maybe people look for different things, but when looking for a game to buy, the menus of the said game are not really what i go around and ponder about.

Just skip ahead if its that bothersome. I don't mind seeing a few minutes of the menus in an hour+ long quick look, especially in this case.

Did they actually advertise that footage as 360/PS3? I've never played a Souls game, but at first glance it's obvious that is PC/next-gen footage and not something possible for 9 year old hardware. Not just the lighting, but also the particle effects in the background and on the statues.

It reminds me of the first Watch_Dogs trailer. I saw the bokeh lighting and thought "even my £1000 pc is going to struggle with that, no way this is current gen". In fairness, Ubisoft didn't announce platforms at that point.

The game was never announced for next-gen platforms, and I'm fairly sure that footage was announced as "the game" footage, regardless of platform.

Then again, I doubt the PC version is going to look like that.

The game was never announced for next-gen platforms, and I'm fairly sure that footage was announced as "the game" footage, regardless of platform.

Then again, I doubt the PC version is going to look like that.

Well there was a playable build that apparently looked like that. If the lighting effects returned for the PC version, I wouldn't be shocked. I also wouldn't be surprised if the effects were stripped from all versions for one reason or another.

Aaron

Clearly, they need to do two QLs for each game. One for the menus (driver: Brad) and one for the game (driver: Vinny).
Every quicklook should start with Vinny at the controls, who ignores everything and charges in just to see how long he can survive. Then after his death, he hands it off to someone else to give the more detailed look.

Well there was a playable build that apparently looked like that. If the lighting effects returned for the PC version, I wouldn't be shocked. I also wouldn't be surprised if the effects were stripped from all versions for one reason or another.

It would be great if the PC version had that extra stuff, but I just can't get myself to believe it, knowing the effort japanese developers put into PC versions.
Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

popo

Looks like Dark Souls 2 on the 360 defiantly has some screen tearing and framerate problems.

Interesting to see how the PS3 version compares.

check the OT. Plenty of hate for both. Seems to be a tearing (360) vs low fps (ps3) trade off.

demidar

Using the Souls games as examples, From hasn't been good when it comes to tech. They're strengths are in great game design, but it's a shame it's hindered.

That's funny, because it was Vinny who insisted on checking the menus right away and going back to show some more when Brad was ready to move on.

solarus

I agree that its disappointing that they had to remove the lighting system, and people should be free to vent about it.

I think people get into crazy territory when they start automatically assuming that its false advertising and not a case of it being too much of a burden on the game's performance -- considering the PS3 version regularly dips below 30fps without it, I can see the latter being the case.

I think it's worse when you consider that they were showing that build in january 2014, which isn't long ago at all and quite close to launch.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Watching the Giant Bomb poster party pt. 2 - how often do they drink on camera?

pretty awesome, imo

Watching the Giant Bomb poster party pt. 2 - how often do they drink on camera?

pretty awesome, imo

For a while they were passing around a bottle of liquor during UPF, having a drink or two.

They haven't lately though, guessing they got through all the drinks viewers sent in

Normally I'm in agreement with you, but in this case it's great they started with the menus. It's one of the few things most Souls fans would agree should be changed, and it allows someone like myself to boot up a QL, see that stuff up front and then decide to bounce when they start revealing anything storywise.

Zaph

It would be great if the PC version had that extra stuff, but I just can't get myself to believe it, knowing the effort japanese developers put into PC versions.
Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.
Your pessimism is probably warranted. After reading about the DS1 port, I can't imagine them wanting to invest even the QA needed for additional effects just on one platform.

Haunted

I think One Finger Death Punch would have the makings of a cool game if there was a [UI] artist and modeller on the team.

The default flash buttons, shit world map and stickman thing they've got in there just aren't doing the concept justice.

solarus

Your pessimism is probably warranted. After reading about the DS1 port, I can't imagine them wanting to invest even the QA needed for additional effects just on one platform.

Seeing as how they had those effects in every build from reveal to the january 2014 build just 2 months ago in the console builds, they have already put the development time and effort into creating those effects, just include them in the pc build. Now if you tell me that they implemented those effects specifically for the demos where they showed off the game to make it look better, I can see why they wouldn't just be able to include them back in for PC.

FStop7

Banned
The difference between the two Dark Souls 2 gifs above is tremendous. The torches alone look so much better.

Is the missing lighting engine confirmed to be present in the PC version? I have a copy of DS2 waiting for me at Best Buy, but I'll just cancel it and wait for the PC version if the answer is yes.

erawsd

I think it's worse when you consider that they were showing that build in january 2014, which isn't long ago at all and quite close to launch.

Its also a build that people actually played. In fact, Brad has commented a few times, including in the QL, about how poorly the prerelease version ran.

The difference between the two Dark Souls 2 gifs above is tremendous. The torches alone look so much better.

Is the missing lighting engine confirmed to be present in the PC version? I have a copy of DS2 waiting for me at Best Buy, but I'll just cancel it and wait for the PC version if the answer is yes.

Given the care they gave the Dark Souls 1 port, I can't imagine there will be a spectacular difference between consoles and PC. They're probably working on figuring out keyboard controls and PC graphics options between the console and PC releases. :/

Given the care they gave the Dark Souls 1 port, I can't imagine there will be a spectacular difference between consoles and PC. They're probably working on figuring out keyboard controls and PC graphics options between the console and PC releases. :/

They have said they're putting a lot of work into the PC version and trying to make it good. Who knows if that'll come to fruition though.

Is the Titanfall stream premium-only? It didn't say so in the schedule, but I can't access the stream through the top of the front page.

Edit: Never mind, I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom