• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true, William's car is totally boss...

9a6BtSk.jpg

Zaph

Whenever these types of debates pop up I take a step back and look at all the games in which murdering people takes place and is deemed acceptable. I'll take the occasional anime fan service scene over killing people any day of the week.
Cultural sensitivities, no matter how hypocritical they may appear, are still very relevant when discussing media.

Also, young women/girls drawn provocatively are pretty much socially unacceptable everywhere outside Japan.

There are two screenshots a page back with young looking characters in see-through towels and panties.

And that is another debate that is not as simple as you think and is no mentioned in the actual review.

I quoted your most recent post at the time. My post was in reference to your attitude that the issues contained in Patrick's review were non-issues or in some way irrelevant.

And they kind of are, given that are small parts of a game. Not even 5 minutes stuff.

The irony is incredible. Instead of just "painting the genre with broad strokes", an outsider actually picked up the game, gave it a fair shake and spoke quite positively on it. Yet, because he dared to inform the reader that there are questionable aspects to the game that might make them uncomfortable if played around other people (very relevant to a portable review), you took issue.

Because I didn't agree with Patrick and I think they are not issues blowed out of porpotion? He is pretty judgamental of that stuff. Not the first time I complained about it, also.

Ken

drew hosting something? must check it out.

Dude, THIS is what your avatar is taken from and you're shocked when people are being judgmental? I don't even feel comfortable posting the full image here.

it makes me uncomfortable because the proportions are out of whack, but i have a danganronpa avatar so what do i know

hm, i kinda like truth bullets more then. more quotable.

Yep, I like it more too. More fun to shout when correcting someone.

By the way, not to derail this thread too much, but since you mentioned avatars; your avatar (if it is who I think it is) reminded me that Attack on Titan is a good example of an anime that doesn't deal in unnecesary fanservice. (That is, unless I'm forgetting something or missing obvious subtext).

Chuck

Still without luck
I thought the menus and inventory changes are some of the most exciting differences in the game. YOU CAN USE MULTIPLE SOULS WITHOUT EXITING THE MENU! Get excited. Also, for the record, it's V-Man.

I still think some of the font stuff and the abbreviations are kind of ugly. And hey Vinny c:

Zaph

Dude, THIS is what your avatar is taken from and you're shocked when people are being judgmental? I don't even feel comfortable posting the full image here.
God damn. When someone decides "Yup, this is what I'm going to take my avatar from", it's safe to say they're too far gone to have any meaningful discussion about the subject.

God damn. When someone decides "Yup, this is what I'm going to take my avatar from", it's safe to say they're too far gone to have any meaningful discussion about the subject.

Sigh. Dude, I'm not being the one being dismissive of your opinions. I even expanded why I disagree with Patrick.

No fair.

RE_Player

Cultural sensitivities, no matter how hypocritical they may appear, are still very relevant when discussing media.
I agree but it can be refreshing to take yourself out of the cultural sensitivity norms from time to time. Thinking about these types of issues on a more broad human level and compare them to those we deem as acceptable in our own culture.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Whenever these types of debates pop up I take a step back and look at all the games in which murdering people takes place and is deemed acceptable. I'll take the occasional anime fan service scene over killing people mindlessly any day of the week.
Yeah, that's a whole other can of worms though.

Yeah, it's definately a very self-serving/niche genre and medium, but it's important for publications to keep up otherwise many people may miss otherwise great games like P4.
I think in that case, you just have to choose which games to review. Like, unless you want to write a review that takes the piss out of it, there's no reason to ever review the Senran Kagura 3ds game if your audience is some broader gaming audience. I have no idea how it is as a brawler, but it is the most anime of anime games.

I do find it curious that there was no coverage of the Phoenix Wright game that came out last year. No QL, no review. That's an anime game that's relatively "safe".

oh sweet that means the australian thongcast is today
Fuck you Sydney Max!

AkuMifune

Banned
Would you be okay with someone having an avatar with just the face of a 14 year old girl, but in the full picture was actually her in an extremely skimpy swimsuit?

I love wandering into this thread sometimes.

I'm not one to knock Brad's game playing as I am frequently terrible, but.

What the fuck... You even know what character is actually is?
It doesn't matter who she is. To an outsider she looks underage.

That's again what the larger point to a lot of this is. How things can be presented in a certain way to outsiders in that they feel comfortable instantly judging it.

Oh sure, but that goes for all genres and media though.

Obviously, and as much as there are examples of non-fanservice-y anime out there, it's not as if the reputation it has for having a lot of this kind of content comes out of nowhere.

Even when I was of the fandom, I was a little annoyed at the sheer amount of this content there was relative to the whole. I have no clue if it's gotten worse but from what I gather it has.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Obviously, and as much as there are examples of non-fanservice-y anime out there, it's not as if the reputation it has for having a lot of this kind of content comes out of nowhere.

Even when I was of the fandom, I was a little annoyed at the sheer amount of this content there was relative to the whole. I have no clue if it's gotten worse but from what I gather it has.

It's gotten worse inasmuch as the studios are chasing the easy, niche dollar. It's like how everyone in the game side is trying to make a "CoD killer" or a "WoW killer". So there's still lots of good stuff, but there's also much more fanservicey harem stuff as well.

But if people get annoyed when Jack Thompson says all video games are rape and murder simulators, then surely these people could understand why anime fans would get annoyed as well.

I wonder how Patrick felt about the completely out of nowhere and completely unnecessary scene of Alice Eve in her underwear in Star Trek Into Darkness. Based on his reaction to DanganRonpa, one would assume he walked out of the theater in shame and immediately when to twitter to say how embarrassing it was.

@patrickklepek
Star Trek Into Darkness was truly great. Heart, action, and humor. The note it ended on was a great way to leave that franchise to others.

Hmm....

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder how Patrick felt about the completely out of nowhere and completely unnecessary scene of Alice Eve in her underwear in Star Trek Into Darkness. Based on his reaction to DanganRonpa, one would assume he walked out of the theater in shame and immediately when to twitter to say how embarrassing it was.

Hmm....

See, that scene was essential to understanding the depth of Carol Marcus' inner conflict. She was stripping bare to reveal herself to Kirk and the audience.

Curufinwe

I was wondering why you guys were freaking out and then I saw the Danganronpa review. lol

I appreciate that Patrick tries, but I dunno... maybe he shouldn't. It's like asking Jeremy Parish to review the next Call of Duty.

Edit: You know, I wonder if they would hate Persona 4: Golden. It actually adds way more anime-isms that are so tropey and cliche that I think if any of them would hate Danganronpa, they'd probably hate those too.

Only the extra onsen cut scene is really over the top. Vanilla P4 is plenty tropey.

RE_Player

I wonder how Patrick felt about the completely out of nowhere and completely unnecessary scene of Alice Eve in her underwear in Star Trek Into Darkness. Based on his reaction to DanganRonpa, one would assume he walked out of the theater in shame and immediately when to twitter to say how embarrassing it was
Damon Lindelof apologized for that scene because it was unnecessary and tasteless, especially for the Star Trek universe. I'd imagine Patrick had the same opinion as most others about the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom