• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

styl3s

Why is there no Vinny Dark Souls 2 series yet? I need this injected into my veins right now, i need to live through him until the PC version releases.

Jintor

i just keep thinking that if anime people are blind to fanservice, maybe we're all (everybody here) also super blind to egregious violence

i probably wouldn't think twice if a dude got gorily messily murdered in a show/film/anime/game. I guess that's how I feel about most fanservice, too. It takes something egregious these days for me to raise an eyebrow.

the anime avatar argument is a poor one, and I don't say that merely because I have an anime avatar. People who are posting in this thread are regulars who you presumably interact with on a pretty normal basis but it's only when it comes to this kind of argument that people start trotting out the 'oh you have an anime avatar' or 'holy shit you cropped your avatar from this weird picture' thing. It's like, cool, but there are a multitude of reasons why they did that, and you're not privy to them, so maybe shut your piehole and judge on their conduct and not their presentation

Mr. F

Banned
Not that Titanfall is my kind of game anyway, but watching the QL it looks like there's not much to it and that 'integrated campaign' Respawn kept touting seems pretty weak in its execution.

Brad inspired me to pick Demon's Souls back up. I am poisoning the shit out of everyone because I am a goddamn wizard.

I ended up picking up where I left off and beating Dark Souls because the GB crew started playing it along with one of my friends who had the best anecdotes/experiences. It turned out I was 5-6 hour away from beating the game. I think I quit the time before because I couldn't beat Seath the scale-less.

Lunzio

Not that Titanfall is my kind of game anyway, but watching the QL it looks like there's not much to it and that 'integrated campaign' Respawn kept touting seems pretty weak in its execution.

The campaign is hard to follow and honestly no different than a regular match of the game with a couple seconds of preamble. I played it from both sides and cannot really tell you what happened.

Mr. F

Banned
The campaign is hard to follow and honestly no different than a regular match of the game with a couple seconds of preamble. I played it from both sides and cannot really tell you what happened.

Yeah, Jeff referring to it as a radio play during the quicklook seemed pretty apt a description. Pretty disappointing, I was curious to see how they were going to pull that off.

i just keep thinking that if anime people are blind to fanservice, maybe we're all (everybody here) also super blind to egregious violence

i probably wouldn't think twice if a dude got gorily messily murdered in a show/film/anime/game. I guess that's how I feel about most fanservice, too. It takes something egregious these days for me to raise an eyebrow.

the anime avatar argument is a poor one, and I don't say that merely because I have an anime avatar. People who are posting in this thread are regulars who you presumably interact with on a pretty normal basis but it's only when it comes to this kind of argument that people start trotting out the 'oh you have an anime avatar' or 'holy shit you cropped your avatar from this weird picture' thing. It's like, cool, but there are a multitude of reasons why they did that, and you're not privy to them, so maybe shut your piehole and judge on their conduct and not their presentation
I wouldn't watch the first robo cop on a bus.

Zaph

But that is literally what happened and how this started. A poster got overly incensed that Patrick dared to warn unsuspecting gamers that a portable game has awkwardly interjected sexualised gameplay elements.

His avatar got referenced because he played up to the GAF anime avatar-wielding defence force stereotype.

I wonder if developers get upset with launch day quick looks. Having all those server crashes be part of the QL for Titanfall leaves a bad impression for anyone who may watch it down the line.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's true, William's car is totally boss...

9a6BtSk.jpg

Best thing about the Martini sponsorship?

F1 will make me think of Sega Rally every week!

Jintor

But that is literally what happened and how this started. A poster got overly incensed that Patrick dared to warn unsuspecting gamers that a portable game has awkwardly interjected sexualised gameplay elements.

His avatar got referenced because he played up to the GAF anime avatar-wielding defence force stereotype.

Even bringing up the avatar stuff basically derailed the conversation into a more generic 'ugh anime' shit-on-individuals talk instead of an interesting discussion. Not cool.

Anime is to video game nerds like disco was to music nerds; something that is easy to hate on because they think it represents something that is ruining people's lives, and it is easy to pick on people who enjoy it.

Honestly, a lot of the more sexual stuff in anime is just reflective of the sex shame that is prominent in Japan, and the problems of comparative competition in more niche markets. I don't really care if random GAF posters have an ax to grind against anime, it is their opinion, but Patrick falling into that trap and feeling ashamed instead of trying to understand why was disappointing to me. I thought he was better than that, but I guess not.

I think in that case, you just have to choose which games to review. Like, unless you want to write a review that takes the piss out of it, there's no reason to ever review the Senran Kagura 3ds game if your audience is some broader gaming audience. I have no idea how it is as a brawler, but it is the most anime of anime games.

I do find it curious that there was no coverage of the Phoenix Wright game that came out last year. No QL, no review. That's an anime game that's relatively "safe".

Ryan was the Ace Attorney fan. I don't think the other guys have played one.

Snowman

Even bringing up the avatar stuff basically derailed the conversation into a more generic 'ugh anime' shit-on-individuals talk instead of an interesting discussion. Not cool.

I still think it's actually a good point still, people with anime avatars are likely to be pretty into that shit and so are far more used to that kind of thing so it makes sense that they don't understand what people are talking about when they say they get embarrassed by these things and are also overly defensive because they feel like something they're really into is getting attacked. But yeah, some people are probably a little too dismissive/mean about it.

Edit: I made that post while simultaneously trying to play LoL and so it's a little incoherent but I think I just about get my point across (if you read hard enough) so I can't be bothered to rewrite it!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Oh please do favor me. What's so horribly offensive about it this time?
If you are actually interested in feedback it would have been nice to see you fight a boss since they're such a major part of the game. Obviously it's kind of hard to appropriately gauge how close they are and stuff but the torch lighting seemed like a really aimless self appointed side quest that might not even yield anything.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
The only thing wrong with the DS2 quick look was that it wasn't longer.

Seriously, on one hand I don't want to be spoiled, on the other, I could watch Brad/Vinny play a Souls' game for hours.

Well then, have we got a surprise for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom