• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
Obviously it's kind of hard to appropriately gauge how close they are and stuff but the torch lighting seemed like a really aimless self appointed side quest that might not even yield anything.

i forgot if i was watching a QL or a breaking brad

Tucah

you speak so well
Dark Souls 2 video feature AND a BB tomorrow? SO MUCH SOULS.

and now that I'm playing and living and breathing DS2 I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm waiting for the PC release of DS2. The wait isn't the hard part, it's avoiding major spoilers, something I'm not typically sensitive about but with a Souls game, certain spoilers can hurt the challenge I look for in those games. I have to avoid streams and podcasts that I watch regularly for weeks.

I really want to watch the QL and watch Lobosjr's first play though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I start a walk as the podcast begins with John Drake, and pass by a can of Diet Coke sitting on a little pole kind of conspicuously. This is fate.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And people still won't listen when I describe why Vanilla > Golden. :p
Golden makes fusions good though, so no more Jeff and Vinny spending 10 hours in the Velvet Room!
(Well, unless you are like me and needed to get the stupid Kaiwan skill).

Ryan was the Ace Attorney fan. I don't think the other guys have played one.
Was he? Looking on the site, the Wii port is the only video coverage that I saw, but I don't remember who did it.

Jintor

Was he? Looking on the site, the Wii port is the only video coverage that I saw, but I don't remember who did it.

if you watch the ace attorney investgations ql it becomes apparent than Ryan is the only person in the room who has played the previous games.

I still think it's actually a good point still, people with anime avatars are likely to be pretty into that shit and so are far more used to that kind of thing so it makes sense that they don't understand what people are talking about when they say they get embarrassed by these things and are also overly defensive because they feel like something they're really into is getting attacked. But yeah, some people are probably a little too dismissive/mean about it.

i think that's just a little too appearance-based to have any real credibility. Changing an avatar to an anime thing isn't a deterministic factor nor is it a completely reliable indicator of general posting maturity. Dresden has an anime avatar. So does Hitokage, so does Duckroll. So do I. Going to reduce them or me to this composite set of nebulous 'anime avatar' traits, too? I've got a secret for people judging others based on their avatar: plenty of people who don't have anime avatars watch anime. Some people who have anime avatars barely watch any anime. Who fucking knew.

Snowman

i think that's just a little too appearance-based to have any real credibility. Changing an avatar to an anime thing isn't a deterministic factor nor is it a completely reliable indicator of general posting maturity. Dresden has an anime avatar. So does Hitokage, so does Duckroll. So do I. Going to reduce them or me to this composite set of nebulous 'anime avatar' traits, too? I've got a secret for people judging others based on their avatar: plenty of people who don't have anime avatars watch anime. Some people who have anime avatars barely watch any anime. Who fucking knew.

I don't think it has anything to do with maturity, I wouldn't assume anything about a person from them having an anime avatar other than that they are probably into anime on some level. I think pointing out that if you watch anime etc. with any kind of regularity you're probably a little more desensitised to the kind of thing patrick was complaining about is pretty valid. At least when the picture the avatar is from is a pretty similar kinda thing.

Sounds like at the time of recording they haven't realized that the adaptability stat raises movement speed like raising the shield and quicker rolling (Vinny mentioning that he's shield raises really slowly).

Edit: It also takes into account your equip % I believe, so unequipping all that heavy armor might make raising your shield quicker

Snowman

That's fine, but Zaph basically said "Why should we listen to anything you have to say? You have an anime avatar".

I took it as more of a "Of course you're going to say defend this thing and not see it as a big deal, you have an anime avatar". Which is still probably a little more mean/dismissive than I would put it, but I think that's actually a pretty valid point, honestly. (Maybe not zaph specifically, but the general conversation about the avatar thing).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I took it as more of a "Of course you're going to say defend this thing and not see it as a big deal, you have an anime avatar". Which is still probably a little more mean/dismissive than I would put it, but I think that's actually a pretty valid point, honestly. (Maybe not zaph specifically, but the general conversation about the avatar thing).

It's not really a valid point because you're arguing based on assigning a stereotype instead of the merit of the actual situation.

Golden makes fusions good though, so no more Jeff and Vinny spending 10 hours in the Velvet Room!
(Well, unless you are like me and needed to get the stupid Kaiwan skill).

That's a result of another reason Vanilla > Golden!

obonicus

It's a really stupid ad hominem. It only got worse.

Fox318

Well then, have we got a surprise for you...

5jDCpPf.png

Endurance run?

Another Dark Souls stream? They should check out the PS2 Kings Fields games at some point. I never played them so I'm curious to see them in action since everyone says the were the spiritual predecessor to the Souls games. Of course I could just watch someone else play them on youtube, but wheres the fun in that

Antiwhippy

The stereotype of people who have anime avatars being kind of into anime stuff? Sure.

It's the stereotype that he is into anime stuff, so obviously his opinion doesn't matter, because he's into perverted cartoon child sex. Which.is literally a point someone in this thread brought up to counter what he's saying.

Another Dark Souls stream? They should check out the PS2 Kings Fields games at some point. I never played them so I'm curious to see them in action since everyone says the were the spiritual predecessor to the Souls games. Of course I could just watch someone else play them on youtube, but wheres the fun in that

That's not a bad idea. For UPF they should try the Japan only original King's Field game, as the earliest seed of the Souls games. See how well they can handle launch-era PSOne RPGs in a language they don't understand.

Snowman

It's the stereotype that he is into anime stuff, so obviously his opinion doesn't matter, because he's into perverted cartoon child sex. Which.is literally a point someone in this thread brought up to counter what he's saying.

To me, it's that he's into anime stuff so he's more desensitised to cartoon child sex than the average person so might not see why it's as big of a deal to patrick. And also, lets be honest, he's more likely to defend it.

Antiwhippy

Then at that point your own perceptions of a stereotype is so loaded that you can't honestly tell me that you're approaching the argument with any rationality.

Also it's not really cartoon child sex, it's just cartoon sex. Get it right gosh.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To me, it's that he's into anime stuff so he's more desensitised to cartoon child sex than the average person so might not see why it's as big of a deal to patrick. And also, lets be honest, he's more likely to defend it.

Jesus dude.

Talon

Then at that point your own perceptions of a stereotype is so loaded that you can't honestly tell me that you're approaching the argument with any rationality.

Also it's not really cartoon child sex, it's just cartoon sex. Get it right gosh.
How about this: I find cartoon sex to be weird and creepy in a similar way to the weird and creepy Mass Effect sex - like puppets being mashed together.

But I find it particularly weird when the characters just look young - echoes of EO4.

Snowman

How is my perception "so loaded"?

I thought one of the things people were saying defending scenes like that was that japanese culture is different and it wouldn't be that weird there. People into anime and stuff are more exposed to that, and so I can understand why they wouldn't see the stuff in these games in the same way as someone a bit more outside of that stuff. That's all.

I was quoting you on the "cartoon child sex" thing.

Edit: Meh, that last post of mine came across way differently from how I meant it to, my bad. I more just meant people into anime are more exposed the stuff in these games than the average person who isn't. The fact that his avatar was in fact from a picture similar to the stuff in those games that patrick called embarrassing is sort of relevant to that conversation imo.

Antiwhippy

How about this: I find cartoon sex to be weird and creepy in a similar way to the weird and creepy Mass Effect sex - like puppets being mashed together.

But I find it particularly weird when the characters just look young - echoes of EO4.

That's fine honestly. I'm more saying that trying to discredit someone with something like their avatar is super dumb. Just derails the conversation away from anything meaningful.

FluxWaveZ

I was assuming the title of the video is a pun sorta, and they're playing Dark Souls 1.

Oh right, everything's pretty much been Demon's Souls with Brad so far, hasn't it?

I guess that makes it a bit weirder that it's not entitled "Breaking Brad" and it's not a premium video, but cool.

I think Jeff finally booted me from his PS4 friend's list. He sent me a name request, I accepted it, and now a month later he's no longer on my list :(

I feel hurt.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think Jeff finally booted me from his PS4 friend's list. He sent me a name request, I accepted it, and now a month later he's no longer on my list :(

I feel hurt.

If you can't whip out a sweet lick on a 6 string Jeff doesn't want anything to do with you.

Oh right, everything's pretty much been Demon's Souls with Brad so far, hasn't it?

I guess that makes it a bit weirder that it's not entitled "Breaking Brad" and it's not a premium video, but cool.

On the podcast Brad explained that it's just a short check in with Brad and Vinny showing off their builds and playing a bit. I don't think it's a playthrough of DS2.

Antiwhippy

How is my perception "so loaded"?

I thought one of the things people were saying defending scenes like that was that japanese culture is different and it wouldn't be that weird there. People into anime and stuff are more exposed to that, and so I can understand why they wouldn't see the stuff in these games in the same way as someone a bit more outside of that stuff. That's all.

I was quoting you on the "cartoon child sex" thing.

Problem is, and I'm not saying it's you because at this point I've lost track of the actual conversation, but people mostly bring up anime avatars as a way to dismiss arguments. Not in a "oh it seems like we have different cultural perspectives" way but in a "Of course you think it's ok you freak" way.

Like, talk about what he wrote, not in how he chooses to represent himself. It's fine to take some cues about his perspective or interest from it, but don't make it the main topic.

But whatever, on to the actual topic, I really hope they don't do a dark souls 2 endurance run. Too soon and the site is getting a little oversaturated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom