• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
I dont understand, how long is Patrick going to be doing the '1 hour of playing a game every day' videos?

I thought that was just a Spelunky thing but now its Binding of Isaac too, with the camera in the corner its literally like any other youtube lets play

It got me to finally try out Binding of Isaac and I'm thinking of trying Spelunky too.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Binding of Patrick is a little disappointing, mostly because he's a too good at the game. What's holding his runs back is just that he's missing unlocks, not the challenges in the game itself. It just becomes work at that point.

obonicus

Binding of Patrick is a little disappointing, mostly because he's a too good at the game. What's holding his runs back is just that he's missing unlocks, not the challenges in the game itself. It just becomes work at that point.

It just doesn't seem as funny a game as Spelunky. Insta-death is less of an issue and there are no daily challenges for him to mess up terribly.

Fevaweva

I kinda agree. There isn't that sort of...urgency that Spelunky has in BoI. There are no death defying jumps or skill shots that come down to a combination of luck and skill.

I love BoI but its more down to luck of the item pick ups than actual skill that determines how successful a run could be. I feel that in Spelunky, regardless of how shitty the items were, you could still conceivably get to the City Of Gold and the like through sheer skill.

Ketch

If you want to give him a challenge, urge him to switch to Dota 2.

that would be amazing. He's got the chops to be really good at it…. and if you took it with a 1 or 2 games a day "challenge" approach then it'd be perfect fit for the segment I think.

IMO some of their content is too damn long. I think the fact that these Breaking Brad's and other streams can run 2+ hours gives them too much leeway to fuck around. With a 1 hour limit, I feel Brad would be more compelled to accomplish more relevant things rather than make the excuse in his head that he can farm lizards or crunch numbers for the first hour because "we have plenty of time anyway". I think it would add a sense of urgency.

BoI is just not a good game to play in that kind of feature for very long. A week or two max.

FStop7

Banned
IMO some of their content is too damn long. I think the fact that these Breaking Brad's and other streams can run 2+ hours gives them too much leeway to fuck around. With a 1 hour limit, I feel Brad would be more compelled to accomplish more relevant things rather than make the excuse in his head that he can farm lizards or crunch numbers for the first hour because "we have plenty of time anyway". I think it would add a sense of urgency.

It's about providing entertainment.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Make use of VLC's fast forward function. press "]" and it speeds it up while maintaning pitch. Makes running through the super long videos quickly.

alr1ght

They've released what, 8+ hours of videos and audio in the last two days not counting Patrick's stuff. I want to listen/watch it but don't have the time. It's not like I watch Brad play Souls for his elite skills.

LiK

They've released what, 8+ hours of videos and audio in the last two days not counting Patrick's stuff. I want to listen/watch it but don't have the time. It's not like I watch Brad play Souls for his elite skills.

I watch while I clean and it's pretty entertaining that way. :)

alr1ght

What shocked me is that Brad and Vinny seemingly had no idea that stamina regens much quicker when your shield is down. How they got through 2 games without knowing that...

derFeef

What shocked me is that Brad and Vinny seemingly had no idea that stamina regens much quicker when your shield is down. How they got through 2 games without knowing that...

WHAT?
Vinny mentions it in BB the first episode (or second). They both know it - but you know how it goes - you forget stuff like that, especially if you are still exploring this new game.

Weird logical explanation, no?

Stop watching in 2x speed! :p

Ahaha, that's actually pretty good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Seems so weird to me. I know people who do the same thing with podcasts.

I have to watch movies for a Theater class I'm taking and it's a total godsend.

If the GB player had a built in "1.2xspeed" option I would absolutely use it.

derFeef

I have to watch movies for a Theater class I'm taking and it's a total godsend.

If the GB player had a built in "1.2xspeed" option I would absolutely use it.

This seems weird since no one is forcing you to watch the content... very weird.
This new thread is hella weird -.-

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This seems weird since no one is forcing you to watch the content... very weird.
This new thread is hella weird -.-

I love the content but it can be long winded. There's a lot of dead time in stuff like Breaking Brad or something. Nothing is lost by watching it slightly sped up, but time is gained, so it's an entirely beneficial process.

alr1ght

You can't be serious about this.

Did you and Vinny not say that in that "We're Playing Dark Souls Too! - Part 01" video (i think it was that one) and Rorie corrected you? Maybe I should stop watching in 2x speed.

edit: 15 minutes in. I guess they were talking about completely draining STA and not being able to shield raise until it regens a tad. I'm pretty sure it has always worked like this.

Bsigg12

Brad, go get the
cholanthry ring to make your stamina increase significantly
. You need a
pharros stone
and put it in the
face on the wall.

Edit: bah literally right after I posted this I got to the point in the video where you talk about it.

Manus

Really enjoying their Dark Souls II content. Love that their showing off each other's characters and where their stuck and what build they are using. Especially since I'm exactly where Brad is at. Screw those ruined sentinels.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Really enjoying their Dark Souls II content. Love that their showing off each other's characters and where their stuck and what build they are using. Especially since I'm exactly where Brad is at. Screw those ruined sentinels.

That upgraded mace made a HUGE difference with those guys and the
Dragonslayer
(from the end of my segment). Went home and beat both of those encounters in two or three tries last night. Striking weapons do so much damage against them, it's nuts.

shwimpy

Dragonslayer
(from the end of my segment). Went home and beat both of those encounters in two or three tries last night. Striking weapons do so much damage against them, it's nuts.
Indeed. I've been using an upgraded mace exclusively and just destroyed the two bosses after
The Pursuer
. Also, the mace scales really well with STR.
Did you and Vinny not say that in that "We're Playing Dark Souls Too! - Part 01" video (i think it was that one) and Rorie corrected you? Maybe I should stop watching in 2x speed.
Am I missing something here? This is exactly what happened. What is all this 2x speed talk? (15 min mark in the video)

Fox318

Why does everyone here like Dark Souls?

It isn't anime themed.

I thought that was the Giantbomb requirement for a game to be good.

Just started playing Dark Souls 1. Enjoying it so far.

sixghost

Dragonslayer

If you guys ever want to try your luck at PvP in one of these videos, or in a livestream, there's a covenant in
Belfry
that results in almost constant invasions. I haven't seen a single invasion otherwise, but it's chaos in that place.

Brad Shoemaker. - Thinks the giant downgrade from the Dark Souls II preview footage is nothing. Immediately scoffs at the PS3's framerate.

Brad is weird.

Anyway I am surprised how much Dark Souls II looks like DS1. Maybe its a fallout / Elder Scrolls problem of them having a messed up engine and they cant really do all that much with it on the same hardware since its stuck together with tape but its built just to do this weird thing no other games do so its not going anywhere.

alr1ght

Anyway I am surprised how much Dark Souls II looks like DS1. Maybe its a fallout / Elder Scrolls problem of them having a messed up engine and they cant really do all that much with it on the same hardware since its stuck together with tape but its built just to do this weird thing no other games do so its not going anywhere.

They built an entirely new engine for DS2, supposedly done just for the enhanced lighting engine. That's why they designed the torches in the game. They nerfed the lighting (most likely for performance reasons), making torches pretty much useless.

Manus

Dragonslayer

Awesome. I guess I should use it since I'm a strength build. I've never been much of a mace user in past Souls games. Guess their's a first for everything.

Megasoum

Banned
Heh...

2014-03-1215-42-23_rwr63.png

Igo

I hope Vinny isn't still expecting the sconces to have some hidden purpose. The demo and sconces every fifteen feet point to either a last minute design decision, or technical roadblock, which resulted in brighter areas and a pretty useless torch mechanic.

There's no doubt in my mind that before the change a decent portion of the game would have been almost pitch black, especially the boss fight at end of Vinny's segment in today's video.

alr1ght

I really hope UPF this week isn't just Unprofessional Dark Souls. :(

To go along with the current Souls-athon, Vinny should bust out some King's Field stuff (I'm sure Jeff has 8 copies of each in his garage). Interested to see if they've aged gracefully.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I never felt like I was missing out on DS2 by waiting for the PC version until now. Damn you people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom