• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys really weren't joking when you said that fellow in the GDC video looked like Patrick, holy cow!

Man GB's video compression is really funky.

The Infamous QL looked like shit. Really not doing the games visuals justice.

I've never seen Infamous SS in person but I'd be inclined to agree, nothing about the game seems remarkable. The mission design and gameplay remind me too much of Prototype and Saint's Row 4.

The Dark Souls Too Part 2 video had really bizarre picture problems during a few scenes involving spiderwebs, I wonder if that was because of the compression?

I find it really weird how so many people comment on their stuff saying something they said was out of line. Poor Kessler gets ragged on too much when he was an intern, Brad and Jeff hate each other, Ryan said a mean thing, Patrick went too far. They're friends as well as co-workers. Friends give each other shit and it's all in good fun.

Keep in mind you are dealing with people on the internet that might not necessarily have much experience with social dynamics.

LuchaShaq

Banned
But it's not as bad as Clash of the Clans! That makes it fine right?

No? Well, you know, mobile gaming just hasn't grown up yet! Really we're only doing these shady business practices because.. uh.. because in five years mobile gaming will be really cool. I mean, TV was awful in the 50s, and current mobile games are made like they made TV in the 50s. So yeah, the game is just fine.

Seriously, that dude straight up admitted that the games they are making are shit with that analogy.

That's the worst part!

Clash of clans is barely a game. It's a series of numbers and meters designed to get little kids/mentally compromised people to spend a shit ton of money before someone responsible notices.

Congratulations you ripped off their shit but sullied an old IP at the same time.

Shit like dungeon keeper/clash of clans is no better than malware you get on PC that threaten to ruin your shit if you don't pay up, or telemarketers who prey on the elderly.

Congratu fucking lations.

You complain that noone is letting you revisit your art? Are you fucking kidding me? I can't think of a more disingenuous statement I have ever heard without going to gay bashing politicians who get caught being gay themselves.

Congrats EA, Dungeon Keeper is not on the level of malware and predatory telemarketers. Great fucking job.

Xater

The not being able to revisit old IPs argument was so dumb. He was sitting next to some indie guys that would probably kill to work on some of their favorite old games. Go to them with a small budget and you can make something cool. Kickstarter has basically already proven that just without the old IPs and games that are inspired by those.

Mesoian

Just got to part 5 of the GDC live stream.

Mah ghawd.

Max Temkin just looks defeated. It's okay Max, Samurai Gunn is still young!

Zaph

Paul comes across as a really nice guy, but there's a reason he's one of the few still with a job at Mythic - he's a company man through and through. Can't blame him, he has a family to feed, but the dude will shill what he's told. Remember Warhammer Online, the MMO that shipped with a fraction of the content he promoted for a year and featured completely empty mid level zones? Or that embarrassing arena game that re-used Warhammer's assets which EA shut down after a year with no gem refunds? The awful Ultima iPad remake filled with shitty micro transactions? All of these games were the next amazing thing according to Paul.

If Giant Bomb wants to keep having him on, cool, but they shouldn't hope to get anything meaningful out of him - he isn't some poor low level programmer doing what he's told, he is 100% a decision maker in this process.

kadotsu

Banned
The not being able to revisit old IPs argument was so dumb. He was sitting next to some indie guys that would probably kill to work on some of their favorite old games. Go to them with a small budget and you can make something cool. Kickstarter has basically already proven that just without the old IPs and games that are inspired by those.

It's the most lazy form of dismissing criticism. "The game that you wanted wouldn't have been made anyways" because of nebulous marketing "realities". Of course it has been proven wrong many times DmC tanking the franchise after record sales of 4, and the difference of performance between X-Com:EU when compared to The Bureau and Syndicate.
But focus testers and monetization managers got to eat, too. At least until they board the Golgafrincham “B” Ark.

Xater

It's the most lazy form of dismissing criticism. "The game that you wanted wouldn't have been made anyways" because of nebulous marketing "realities". Of course it has been proven wrong many times DmC tanking the franchise after record sales of 4, and the difference of performance between X-Com:EU when compared to The Bureau and Syndicate.
But focus testers and monetization managers got to eat, too. At least until they board the Golgafrincham “B” Ark.

How did I somehow forgot to mention Xcom in my argument? It was my GOTY that year and it even did well. Man that game right there is proof enough. There are more than enough ways to handle your old IPs that don't involve them being used to create scam games.

Zaph

And Banished, not even a particularly great game, has been on the Steam top sellers for a month. Game was made by one dude. What's he going to say next? The market realities mean there's no demand for a proper Sim City sequel?

What bugs me the most about EA is not that it's a shortsighted or dumb company, but that it's a barely profitable one. Had they been making bank like Activision, at least you could say their cynical strategy was working.

Mr. F

Banned
If Giant Bomb wants to keep having him on, cool, but they shouldn't hope to get anything meaningful out of him - he isn't some poor low level programmer doing what he's told, he is 100% a decision maker in this process.

I'd debate that. What we got certainly wasn't meaningful, but unlike Lang or Johhny V, Paul doesn't seem the type to just be able to hang out and talk about whatever. It's either long-winded stories where nobody can get a word in or going full corporate mouthpiece mode. Reminded me of the MS people on the E3 bombcast wasting everyone's time repeatedly shilling the virtues of the cloud with dumb buzzwords.

I'm somewhat glad things turned out the way they did for the sake of getting really interesting and stimulating discussion out of Rami and Jim to contrast Paul's asinine logic, but it's a bummer that took up most of the segment because I'm sure they had a lot of interesting things to say about other topics or on the show itself.

Holy crap listening to Paul is so pathetic and sad. He genuinely thinks that people disliked the game just because others did and because it's EA? No people hated it because it was the epitome of everything that is wrong with gaming in 2014.

I'm sure Paul is a nice guy, but watching Paul embarrass himself like that wasn't funny, or insightful. It was fucking sad. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Oh yeah, pure <>. I had to skip that part.

It also puts the Bombcrew in an ugly situation where they either let them do this kind of hard sell or get ugly and segueway over them to someone who recognize their precense there is all the marketing you need or will get.

And Banished, not even a particularly great game, has been on the Steam top sellers for a month. Game was made by one dude. [snip]

I haven't played much of Banished, but I think the bolded is patently false. It's a novel idea and a compelling game that has captured the interest and the wallets of its customers; it's an oasis in the desert-like supply of city-builder games. It must be making a fantastic amount of well-earned money for its creator, and it will almost certainly spur more developers to create similar games. To call it not particularly great is a disservice to what it is and what it has accomplished.

I'll say this much about the Dungeon Keeper iOS debacle: it prompted me to repurchase Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2, this time from GOG. I guess EA won, in the end.

Mr. F

Banned
I haven't played much of Banished, but I think the bolded is patently false. It's a novel idea and a compelling game that has captured the interest and the wallets of its customers; it's an oasis in the desert-like supply of city-builder games. It must be making a fantastic amount of well-earned money for its creator, and it will almost certainly spur more developers to create similar games. To call it not particularly great is a disservice to what it is and what it has accomplished.

I'll say this much about the Dungeon Keeper iOS debacle: it prompted me to repurchase Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2, this time from GOG. I guess EA won, in the end.

Here's hoping. City builders are one of my favourite genres, I'd be stoked for a resurgance in popularity.

Zaph

I love city builders and have played them for years. Regardless of yours or my feelings about it, the critical consensus is Banished is good, not great (even from PC oriented sites like RPS who aren't put off by hard games). The 73 metacritc reflects this also.

xanavi

It also puts the Bombcrew in an ugly situation where they either let them do this kind of hard sell or get ugly and segueway over them to someone who recognize their precense there is all the marketing you need or will get.

I've seen people spell this word wrong a lot but never have I seen someone spell it right and wrong.

I love city builders and have played them for years. Regardless of yours or my feelings about it, the critical consensus is Banished is good, not great (even from PC oriented sites like RPS who aren't put off by hard games). The 73 metacritc reflects this also.

I don't want to go down this road... notlikethis.jif

Let it be known that RPS can misfire sometimes - case in point their Fallout: New Vegas Wot I think. A scathing review for a game that received a generally-praiseworthy 84/100 from the Ultimate Judge of Games Quality, Metacritic.

Review scoring in general makes me appreciate the 1-5 scale (with no x.5 scores) because it makes a reviewer commit to their score. The game is either atrocious, bad, mediocre, good, or great! Giant Bomb uses this sort of scale, I think, and they're better off for it.

LuchaShaq

Banned

The fucked up thing is Noone would have said ONE FUCKING WORD about dungeon keeper ios if they just called it dungeon clans birds story saga or whatever seo bullshit they wanted. They could have gone on scamming idiots and kids without anyone saying shit.

Exact opposite with Syndicate, that game was fucking awesome, but had no business being called Syndicate. If they called it some generic sci fi name and spent even 3 seconds marketing the fucking thing it might have sold well.

He acts like noone could have seen this coming. The Frog Fractions dude was right, yeah sure it probably focus tested great with soccer moms and toddlers, but ask ANYONE else on the GDC show and they would have told you it was going to be a god damn disaster.

Zaph

I don't want to go down this road... notlikethis.jif

Let it be known that RPS can misfire sometimes - case in point their Fallout: New Vegas Wot I think. A scathing review for a game that received a generally-praiseworthy 84/100 from the Ultimate Judge of Games Quality, Metacritic.

Review scoring in general makes me appreciate the 1-5 scale (with no x.5 scores) because it makes a reviewer commit to their score. The game is either atrocious, bad, mediocre, good, or great! Giant Bomb uses this sort of scale, I think, and they're better off for it.
Dude, look, I love Banished, you love Banished. We both think its great. I'm not trying to debate or diminish anyone's personal feelings about anything.

The context of my original post was from the publisher perspective of funding games and reviving genres. For them, looking at it objectively, they would consider the reception to be good, not great.

xanavi

Jeff would ride a Segueway on the air. EVERYONE would be on Segueways.

Yeah! :p

You know, now that I think about it "segueway" (pronounced seg-way-way) absolutely describes what they do over at GB whenever they segue to another segment then call attention to how good their segue was immediately afterwards.

You know, now that I think about it "segueway" (pronounced seg-way-way) absolutely describes what they do over at GB whenever they segue to another segment then call attention to how good their segue was immediately afterwards.

8-4 is part of the extended Giant Bomb Family! :D

Was there one?

I didn't even realise.

They recorded the QLEX for Galak-Z during Unprofessional Friday (how unprofessional!), so it definitely happened.

Maybe they had trouble uploading it for some reason, similar to what happened with the Dark Souls Too part 2 video.

Chuck

Still without luck
So I like just saw someone in a Barnes and noble with a VinnCo t shirt. I didn't say anything because I'm afraid of awkwardness >_<

LuchaShaq

Banned
So I like just saw someone in a Barnes and noble with a VinnCo t shirt. I didn't say anything because I'm afraid of awkwardness >_<

Deli guy at my super market caught me off guard. I get tons of compliments to the luchadeer T-shirt but 95% have no idea who guantbomb is.

Kinda bummed Friday show isn't up I always watch it at work on Saturday.

J3ffro

I'm having a love affair with what emails has become. Over the last few years I've viewed emails as the weakest part of the Bombcast, but over the last month emails has hit an all time high.

Jeff & especially Vinny seem to be stirring it up, be it thongs, chemists or shit bandits, and man is it working.

I'm having a love affair with what emails has become. Over the last few years I've viewed emails as the weakest part of the Bombcast, but over the last month emails has hit an all time high.

Jeff & especially Vinny seem to be stirring it up, be it thongs, chemists or shit bandits, and man is it working.

I love the fact that it skirts so close to being plain sickening or offensive to people without crossing the line.

I really have no clue what the end game is though. Either Australia implodes or they have to just quit emails.

Holy fuck that Samurai Warrior guy is really just Patrick with glasses.
KuGsj.gif

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Yeah, the Australian Emails are Legendary. Every week, it's just some new person saying "screw that guy from last week, this is the realest shit right here"

That, and I actually love the before show ads. Ads Bombcast > Premium Bombcast

Does anyone remember a bombcast recently where vinny hosted and played some super upbeat good morning song or something like that? I really want to find that song but I don't even remember what it sounded like anymore.

Yeah, the Australian Emails are Legendary. Every week, it's just some new person saying "screw that guy from last week, this is the realest shit right here"

<---premium member, listens to bombcast with ads.

You guys really weren't joking when you said that fellow in the GDC video looked like Patrick, holy cow!

I've never seen Infamous SS in person but I'd be inclined to agree, nothing about the game seems remarkable. The mission design and gameplay remind me too much of Prototype and Saint's Row 4.

The Dark Souls Too Part 2 video had really bizarre picture problems during a few scenes involving spiderwebs, I wonder if that was because of the compression?

Saints Row 4 was realesed post Infamous1/2 game.

<---premium member, listens to bombcast with ads.

Same. You're missing out on some great comedy if you don't listen to the ads.
Like... if you like Giant Bomb at all, and if you're listening to the podcast I would assume you do, the ads are just more of that. Jeff and Vinny hamming it up. It's fantastic. Advertising done right.

Yep.

"You will never have another Windjammers 0_0"

that plus the camera on him was hilarious.

and with that i guess the tweet gio thing wont work either (Dave already shot down option 5 earlier)

FluxWaveZ

Loved the trio of Johnny V , Ed boon and Dave lang! We need more Ed boon though but i guess he seems more busy out of the trio.

I was kind of surprised Ed Boon didn't know about Guilty Gear Xrd, it being a (beautiful) fighting game that works on the Unreal Engine and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom