• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The entire Splatoon talk was a joke. It's the next big game, they got two codes, the review embargo is over and apprently they didn't play enough to talk about it for 10 minutes. I get they might not care too much about Splatoon and that East will most likely talk more about it, but come on. Do your job.

No.

Their job is talking about games they enjoy playing. It's decidedly not their job to talk about every game out there and that's one of the reasons they started Giant Bomb in the first place.
The GBW guys are likely not going to get hype for Splatoon 2, that's their prerogative.
Maybe Alex or Dan will, who knows. For one i'm glad they are not trying to feign interest just because it's the hot new release of the week.

derFeef

NPC's walking around is storytelling? Okay.

No.

Their job is talking about games they enjoy playing. It's decidedly not their job to talk about every game out there and that's one of the reasons they started Giant Bomb in the first place.
The GBW guys are likely not going to get hype for Splatoon 2, that's their prerogative.
Maybe Alex or Dan will, who knows. For one i'm glad they are not trying to feign interest just because it's the hot new release of the week.

It was embarrassing nonetheless.
"How does it work?"
5 seconds of silence
"I have no idea"

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
No.

Abby exclusive coverage of Splat2n coming up!

No.

I mean that's fine, but on the old Bombcasts they used to play, cover and talk about any old shit. It definitely wasn't a website where they only talk about games they enjoy playing.

ev0

Fire Pro was the only game where I could ever re-enact Wrestling as it is on TV, not as whatever pseudo-sim sport the Yukes game tries to do.

I was playing around as Earthquake (rip) against my then roomate and I was able to beat him down enough that he'd lay in the middle of the ring, do Earthquakes tremor taunt, run the ropes, hit the squash finisher and not pin him. And repeat this until I pissed off my roomate and one of my squashes Critical'ed him. This is all dumb I know, but part of the enjoyment.

Also fun: setting up a 8 man Battle Royale with a friend or two and setting all the AI as MMA guys with Criticals set to high. The hilarity of a random punch or kick from the MMA guys (most of their strikes are set as what causes criticals for them) behind knocking you out of the match never got old.

daveo42

Banned
NPC's walking around is storytelling? Okay.

The comparison to Destiny means any improvements in Destiny 2 make them look better than they really are. It's like Destiny 2 is finally becoming a normal video game with all the things video games usually have, like a story or npcs or depth beyond good shooting.

I mean that's fine, but on the old Bombcasts they used to play, cover and talk about any old shit. It definitely wasn't a website where they only talk about games they enjoy playing.

Paraphrased quote from GOTY 2011 that I just listened to: "A big thing we agreed on when we started this site was that we would play the games we wanted to and we didn't have to play bad games."

Hoo-doo

Banned
It sold 4 million copies on the Wii U. People really think Splatoon is way smaller than it actually is

It certainly wasn't 'big' among the Giant Bomb crew, which is what this thread is about. And that's fine.
Sometimes there are games that grab hold of the GB team and they are talked about for weeks on end, sometimes big releases are just a fart in the wind to them.

GBEast will probably have you covered, but then again, it's more Splatoon and there really isn't that much to talk about so I doubt it's going to satisfy you anyway.

Hindl

It certainly wasn't 'big' among the Giant Bomb crew, which is what this thread is about. And that's fine.
Sometimes there are games that grab hold of the GB team and they are talked about for weeks on end, sometimes big releases are just a fart in the wind to them.

GBEast will probably have you covered, but then again, it's more Splatoon and there really isn't that much to talk about so I doubt it's going to satisfy you anyway.
That's fine and I agree, I don't really care if they don't talk about Splatoon 2 (although in general they should be somewhat informed, like Brad not even being sure if it's an actual sequel). But I was responding to this:
People think Splatoon is way bigger than it actually is.
Which just sounds like they're talking in general, not about Giant Bomb specifically

kingocfs

Back in my day you used to have to walk FIF-TEEN MILES in the snow to get the weekly Bombcast

derFeef

That's not what the quoted post was about though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's not what the quoted post was about though.

It still applies. Your indignation that the GB crew didn't pay enough attention to Splatoon 2 is unwarranted regardless of how big the game is in the real world.

I could have quoted a better post for making that point though, I agree.

re; splatoon 2 "This is a full on new game right?"

B R A D

Also, if you haven't followed the game closely, this isn't that weird a question.

Hindl

I honestly don't know the answer to this either. I don't follow Splatoon closely, but every screenshot and video I've seen looks exactly like the first game to me.

Serious question, what's the difference there compared to other games?

Someone in the review thread summed up Splatoon 2 pretty well

If you didn't play the original, it'll feel new and fresh
If you did play the original casually, it'll largely feel like the same game
If you played the original a lot, it'll feel a lot different

Differences:
New campaign, new mode (Salmon Run)
New maps, new weapons, new abilities and sub-abilities
New features in maps (ink rails and grind rails offer new mobility options, sponge objects appear in multiplayer now)

Basically picture Splatoon 1 -> Splatoon 2 like MW1 -> MW2. Similar game with a new campaign, maps, and loadouts, along with a few new features

derFeef

Someone in the review thread summed up Splatoon 2 pretty well

If you didn't play the original, it'll feel new and fresh
If you did play the original casually, it'll largely feel like the same game
If you played the original a lot, it'll feel a lot different

Differences:
New campaign, new mode (Salmon Run)
New maps, new weapons, new abilities and sub-abilities
New features in maps (ink rails and grind rails offer new mobility options, sponge objects appear in multiplayer now)

Basically picture Splatoon 1 -> Splatoon 2 like MW1 -> MW2. Similar game with a new campaign, maps, and loadouts, along with a few new features

I figured, I was questioning the poster I quoted.

So I was watching the Game Grumps office tour

And their game set up puts Giant Bombs to shame >_> It can be run by one person, and it has a neat digital display to switch outputs for different consoles and to record different screens.

So I was watching the Game Grumps office tour

And their game set up puts Giant Bombs to shame >_> It can be run by one person, and it has a neat digital display to switch outputs for different consoles and to record different screens.

I saw that as well. Such a beautiful place to work at. I bet Jeff would like all the arcade cabinets.

erawsd

As a long-time fan of video games and pro wrestling I don't really get Fire Pro. The art is bad, the fighting seems janky as hell, the modes are bare bone, the menus suck and all the good content is made by people who don't get paid.

I dont love the game myself but I can totally see why others do. The fighting isnt really janky, its got a unique rhythm to it and the people that love it would say its the best in the genre. Its easier to name moves not in the game than the reverse. The character creator is ridiculously expansive, not just from an appearance stand point but also down to wrestler styles and logic. Its also a game that's still in Early access so the issue with the modes and menus might improve.

I know its a long shot but I'd love to see this game's success kickstart some efforts to revive Aki's engine.

Serious question, what's the difference there compared to other games?

I don't think it's really fair to say every sequel looks the same as previous games in that series. Maybe it's just something about Splatoon's art style that looks really homogeneous to me.

But thanks for clarifying that this is in fact an all-new game.

As a long-time fan of video games and pro wrestling I don't really get Fire Pro. The art is bad, the fighting seems janky as hell, the modes are bare bone, the menus suck and all the good content is made by people who don't get paid.

The fighting really isn't janky. The WWE games have janky mechanics, fire pro has a solid game-play engine that works as intended. Other than that the create a wrestler features and simulation aspects are big sells to the hardcore, linking steam workshop up to that makes it a really amazing feature given you can easily download and update characters.

It's not perfect feature-wise but the matches actually feel like matches. It's the only wrestling game I've enjoyed in the last decade or so.

I saw that as well. Such a beautiful place to work at. I bet Jeff would like all the arcade cabinets.

Yeah

I'd love if Jeff visited and him and Arin just talked about cabinets and old games, since they're both pretty knowledgeable about it. And those cabinets...jeff would love that.

derFeef

Yeah

I'd love if Jeff visited and him and Arin just talked about cabinets and old games, since they're both pretty knowledgeable about it. And those cabinets...jeff would love that.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom