• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZyDYuy4.gif

Watching the KH video.

I may still subject myself to ReMIX if it goes on sale + Best Buy GCU.

I still have nightmares about the beginning of KH2.

patapuf

I never got the impression either of them hated what was going on. Where do you guys get this from?

Them reacting to the stupid things going on is half the fun anyway.

They've gotten through games that were way worse to play than KH is and it was entertaining. RPG's are naturally going to have some slower bits.

It's a shame that DD actually sucks ass in that he dies too quick and when you want him to heal you, he doesn't. His A.I is all over the place.

e: When things go right though, he's awesome.

Nerokis

If they ever get to KH2, you're going to miss the island real bad.

I loved KH2's introduction. The first ~75 minutes of Sora were where the game lost a lot of momentum for me.

Actually, in terms of presentation and storytelling, the introduction was one of the best parts of that game. I loved KH1 enough to be one of those people who obsessed over things like the Final Mix cutscenes, and I remember KH2 frequently letting me down. The introduction, though, was almost pitch perfect. Roxas was this charming, sweet character, Twilight Town or whatever was nice and peaceful, etc. - all the slice of life stuff, in combination with the narrative angle going from KH1 and CoM to this, just worked for me. It all seemed to be building up to something interesting.

But I find that I, in general, have a much higher tolerance for slow video game introductions than a lot of other people. I tend to enjoy those moments before the game part of the game really kicks in.

I loved KH2's introduction. The first ~75 minutes of Sora were where the game lost a lot of momentum for me.

Actually, in terms of presentation and storytelling, the introduction was one of the best parts of that game. I loved KH1 enough to be one of those people who obsessed over things like the Final Mix cutscenes, and I remember KH2 frequently letting me down. The introduction, though, was almost pitch perfect. Roxas was this charming, sweet character, Twilight Town or whatever was nice and peaceful, etc. - all the slice of life stuff, in combination with the narrative angle going from KH1 and CoM to this, just worked for me. It all seemed to be building up to something interesting.

But I find that I, in general, have a much higher tolerance for slow video game introductions than a lot of other people. I tend to enjoy those moments before the game part of the game really kicks in.

I generally find Sora to be the weakest character. Every other protagonist they introduce is more interesting.

Rainmaker

Banned
I thought Brad and Ben were very upbeat for the majority of that video but whatever narrative you need to latch on to for your anti-West bullshit is cool

Finished Pyre. Game starts decently slow but the pace ramps up considerably and tangibly later on. The slower pace is because you definitely need the room to let the characters breathe before certain choices have to be made later on.

Pretty much every character you get plays differently, and they're pretty much all fun. Character upgrades are meaningful and the talismans you can equip are similar in importance.

Art and music are great, as many others have said, but I think that this game sheds the perfect amount of subtlety when it comes to Supergiant's other games. World and character-building are presented in a more understandable way, and I found myself invested even in my opponents.

I liked the rites a lot (the sports part), and I think the devs did a pretty good job with the difficulty curve. It's not one of those games that's hard to start but you feel dominant by the end, because the opponents operate on very similar skill trees to the players.

Once they leave Destiny Islands the game changes completely. I really hope Brad stays with the feature, his Donald Duck reactions were great!

It's a shame that DD actually sucks ass in that he dies too quick and when you want him to heal you, he doesn't. His A.I is all over the place.

e: When things go right though, he's awesome.

I mean, you set parameters for his magic usage. He does die easily, but him healing you was never an issue if you set him up right.

Finished Pyre. Game starts decently slow but the pace ramps up considerably and tangibly later on. The slower pace is because you definitely need the room to let the characters breathe before certain choices have to be made later on.

Pretty much every character you get plays differently, and they're pretty much all fun. Character upgrades are meaningful and the talismans you can equip are similar in importance.

Art and music are great, as many others have said, but I think that this game sheds the perfect amount of subtlety when it comes to Supergiant's other games. World and character-building are presented in a more understandable way, and I found myself invested even in my opponents.

I liked the rites a lot (the sports part), and I think the devs did a pretty good job with the difficulty curve. It's not one of those games that's hard to start but you feel dominant by the end, because the opponents operate on very similar skill trees to the players.

Thanks for the impressions, might pick this up very soon.

Joeku

If Brad had his druthers, he would be some kind of spellcaster in another universe, and hem and haw about whether or not to call himself a wizard or a warlock or a hexer, etc.

I thought Brad and Ben were very upbeat for the majority of that video but whatever narrative you need to latch on to for your anti-West bullshit is cool

is it like the narrative where everything that anyone doesn't think is great is part of some anti-west bullshit so that you can easily dismiss their opinions?

that's cool too

oti

Banned
No.

Here's a good idea.

Someone from the community builds a challenging (but not bullshit) level in Mario Maker.

East and West both play the level at the same time. The team who beats it first wins. Cross-coast live stream.

No.

Here's a good idea.

Someone from the community builds a challenging (but not bullshit) level in Mario Maker.

East and West both play the level at the same time. The team who beats it first wins. Cross-coast live stream.

Or have both coasts make each others level. Each side would have to try and make a level that's super hard while hoping the other side makes any easier one. Would probably provoke some dirty stuff.

Either way it'd make for a nice video for the eventual Switch Mario Maker.

oti

Banned
That is a good idea.
If it's just a normal level out of an older Mario game that would be kinda lame.
Or have both coasts make each others level. Each side would have to try and make a level that's super hard while hoping the other side makes any easier one. Would probably provoke some dirty stuff.

Either way it'd make for a nice video for the eventual Switch Mario Maker.
That would provoke unplayable levels lol. Mario Maker frustration can be fun, to some degree.

Competitive Trauma Center should be a thing.

No.

Here's a good idea.

I don't know if this is possible, but I've always had the idea of a Mario Maker level where you start in one area and eventually you take a pipe to another area that looks almost 100% like the starting area, so you think that you were sent back to beginning, when in fact, that is actually the correct course you need to take to complete the level. Hopefully, that throws people off, thinking the pipe is a "troll" pipe.

Meguro

Banned
I'm gonna admit something here:
I still really really like playing KH2, especially the Final Mix and especially on Critical Mode.
It's tough and exciting in a way that I really love.

Harpuia

I'm gonna admit something here:
I still really really like playing KH2, especially the Final Mix and especially on Critical Mode.
It's tough and exciting in a way that I really love.

Anyone can say what they will about the rest of Kingdom hearts 2 . But the music and boss fights and gameplay are just *chef kiss to the fingers*.

drabnon

Exactly. I wish it was with someone who liked KH just to balance out the haze but eh, better than nothing. And the beginning of that is truly awful.

Does anyone at GB like KH, though? Maybe Jason, I don't know if he's said anything about the series.

ryseing

I generally find Sora to be the weakest character. Every other protagonist they introduce is more interesting.

Sora's clones and doppelgangers are far more interesting than Sora himself.

When they said "another Sora?" I was like just you folks wait.

You get a Sora and you get a Sora and you get a Sora. Everyone gets a Sora!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom