• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
MGS is like a spy show that completely looses it's plot because the director goes fucking insane and nobody is able to stop him.

AC is like a mystery show where the director leaves after season 1 and nobody has a clue what's happening so they just start making shit up as they go along before finally giving up.

I wasn't sure if I should be concerned in the 2DS video about the flappy top but then I picked up my 3DS XL and flapped it all over.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited to get a New 2DS now and convince myself I'll play all those 1st person dungeon crawler RPGs I bought one day.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think I'm just going to use this opportunity to import a US 2ds because those atlus games sure as fuck isn't coming to PAL.

Fantastapotamus

Assassin's Creed's lore was pretty much wasted potential from day one.

AC1 set up some really interesting stuff.
AC2 did nothing with that but had a really great ending.
And then they went like "You know, we can probably keep this series going for 80 years, if we loose the overarching plot...."

Remember when everybody was certain AC3 will be you playing Desmond in modern times? And then you jumped around an alien spaceship and suddenly the whole world was ending but there were goddesses and then something happened but nobody knows what?

Here's the thing that makes MGS better than AC, is that Kojima gave a fuck and you can't deny that. The MGS story is a beautiful, insane and an amazing piece of art that spans decades. It's the kind of thing that will never happen again in our medium because this is basically what happens when you give an insane person an exuberant amount of money. Fuck my mind with Death Stranding Kojima, pls.
Can't believe Assassin's Creed is the hill Vinny wants to die on. Saying that series doesn't have a single good entry isn't exactly wrong with how weak the gameplay is.

The first one and possibly half of the second one are the only games that have good and interesting stories. The rest obviously fall flat because Ubisoft stopped giving a fuck.

Video game stories always been shit

when people say games have 'good stories' they actually mean games have 'good characters'. by the merit of how much action and player input and length a game must meet, it's impossible to find a good narrative.

VTMB is one of the best written games ever. Because of the characters, not the story. Same for Fallout New Vegas.

Itt: GAF realizing video game stories are shit

You guys need to play more games if you think "video game stories have always been shit". Maybe you guys meant most games? If so then I agree.

I only say this as constructive criticism but UPF really needs a kick in the pants.

I haven't really enjoyed this episode from Friday but Jeff tried his best with what he was working with.

I'm sure the holiday content (many months away but sooner than I think) will be gold though.

I mean my favorite video this week was the Crash QL because Dan getting pissed off at games gives me some twisted form of joy.

I'm mean I don't want to say it was a down week for video content but at least the Beastcast continues to bring laughter to my Fridays.

Also learned Abby and I have the same birth month so that's pretty cool too.

Fantastapotamus

My only problem with the MGS story is people trying to tell me how "deep" it is and how it's actually super meaningful and philosophical instead of just enjoying it as the insane dreams of an insane man.
It's good, but nobody should take it serious.

Is Desmond still in the games?

Pretty sure he was confirmed dead in AC4?
Did Syndicate even feature any of the Abstergo stuff?

I only say this as constructive criticism but UPF really needs a kick in the pants.

I haven't really enjoyed this episode from Friday but Jeff tried his best with what he was working with.

I'm sure the holiday content (many months away but sooner than I think) will be gold though.

I mean my favorite video this week was the Crash QL because Dan getting pissed off at games gives me some twisted form of joy.

I'm mean I don't want to say it was a down week for video content but at least the Beastcast continues to bring laughter to my Fridays.

Also learned Abby and I have the same birth month so that's pretty cool too.

I watched UPF earlier today and as a guy who loves UPF, this one was eh mainly because some people gave them games that equate to meme dog shit for the most part. Instead of giving them cool games to play and maybe get interesting stories out of it.

Was AC4 where the "Abstergo is a game company" stuff started?

Hot take about the lore aside, I actually did not finish AC3 and next thing I knew
Desmond was dead.

I watched UPF earlier today and as a guy who loves UPF, this one was eh mainly because some people gave them games that equate to meme dog shit for the most part. Instead of giving them cool games to play and maybe get interesting stories out of it.

upf is so chill though
and i dont even huff jenkim

I tried to warn you, man

Your time would've been better spent elsewhere

Here's the thing that makes MGS better than AC, is that Kojima gave a fuck and you can't deny that. The MGS story is a beautiful, insane and an amazing piece of art that spans decades. It's the kind of thing that will never happen again in our medium because this is basically what happens when you give an insane person an exuberant amount of money. Fuck my mind with Death Stranding Kojima, pls.

The first one and possibly half of the second one are the only games that have good and interesting stories. The rest obviously fall flat because Ubisoft stopped giving a fuck.

You guys need to play more games if you think "video game stories have always been shit". Maybe you guys meant most games? If so then I agree.
I'm exaggerating, but by and large, yes they are, mostly due a much poorer talent pool of writers compared to other mediums and a lack of understanding of how to incorporate storytelling into this medium's unique aspect - interactivity.

I do think 999 is one of the finest stories I've ever seen though.

My only problem with the MGS story is people trying to tell me how "deep" it is and how it's actually super meaningful and philosophical instead of just enjoying it as the insane dreams of an insane man.
It's good, but nobody should take it serious.?

I take it seriously but I do acknowledge how insane it is. I won't lie, I always get teary eyed with MGS4 but that's because the game holds a special place in my heart as a guy who's played MGS1 when it released back in the day. It feels like the end of a very long journey and hey, the soundtracks those games have are always fantastic.

If I thought with my head though, MGS3 is probably the best and tightest one in the series story wise. What I love about the series overall is how incredibly diverse tone wise it is. Like it's military serious real life shit mixed with anime mixed with deeply conflicted characters mixed with a family situation that spans decades and two brothers are at it.etc like it's everything and nothing all at once.

upf is so chill though
and i dont even huff jenkim

It's what I love about it. Shit's comforting to me but some people really failed to bring it. Like why not have them play Fire Pro Wrestling or Point Blank or some weird underrated games like that so we get interesting perspectives and shit on it.

Fantastapotamus

AC3 spoilers if anyone cares:
They killed him off at the end of AC 3, which concluded on a massive cliffhanger which to date, they haven't bothered to resolve in the what, five games that have been released since.
Wasn't there a whole thing about
gods destroying the world and Desmond choosing between sacrificing himself to save the world or rebuild it as some sort of prophet
? Am I making this up?

Oh and I liked Assassin's Creed 1 from what little I played. The platforming didn't feel annoying like it does in later entries, the combat is much simpler to its advantage, and it really feels like a concept turned into a game (Middle Eastern Assassin society attacking the wrongdoers) versus the later games which felt decidely more like sequels (to be fair, even series I like like Uncharted feel this way. The first felt like the core concept come alive, how often were you even uncharted in the later entries?).

Hell, I even enjoyed many aspects of Bloodlines. Unity is a turd except for its decidely great assassination missions actually using sandbox mechanics. Oh and it looks nice.

I'm exaggerating, but by and large, yes they are, mostly due a much poorer talent pool of writers compared to other mediums and a lack of understanding of how to incorporate storytelling into this medium's unique aspect - interactivity.

I do think 999 is one of the finest stories I've ever seen though.

I mean just off the top of my head

Max Payne, Shadow of the Colossus, SOMA, Silent Hill 2, Nier Automata, MGS3, The Last of us, Grim Fandango, To The Moon, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Guardian, Portal 2, Bioshock.etc all have wonderful stories. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting but you get my point.

AC3 spoilers if anyone cares:
They killed him off at the end of AC 3, which concluded on a massive cliffhanger which to date, they haven't bothered to resolve in the what, five games that have been released since.

They actually cut him up into bits and used the DNA for research making the Animus home console. I think that buried in 4 somewhere.

pizzacat

Banned
I mean just off the top of my head

Max Payne, Shadow of the Colossus, SOMA, Silent Hill 2, Nier Automata, MGS3, The Last of us, Grim Fandango, To The Moon, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Guardian, Portal 2, Bioshock.etc all have wonderful stories. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting but you get my point.

only two of those uses their form of entertainment as an advantage like 999 does

(hint: its nier and mgs, ignore the rest)

gods destroying the world and Desmond choosing between sacrificing himself to save the world or rebuild it as some sort of prophet
? Am I making this up?

super made up

? Am I making this up?

Yeah thats pretty much it. Then, if I remember correctly god woman Juno(?) implies that she is going on some sort of vengeful rampage against humanity but is barely mentioned again in future games. I may be misremembering or have interpreted the ending incorrectly, though.

They actually cut him up into bits and used the DNA for research making the Animus home console. I think that buried in 4 somewhere.

Oh yeah there is that! I forgot. And in Syndicate isn't there is mention of using a piece of eden for cloning, so perhaps he'll make a return at some point?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Planescape, Torment, Witcher 1 and other RPGs do this as well. The ability to make choices is what makes videogames unique.

Neogaf?

ExperienceDesign.jpg

pizzacat

Banned
Yeah thats pretty much it. Then, if I remember correctly god woman Juno(?) implies that she is going on some sort of vengeful rampage against humanity but is barely mentioned again in future games. I may be misremembering or have interpreted the ending incorrectly, though.

Oh yeah there is that! I forgot. And in Syndicate isn't there is mention of using a piece of eden for cloning, so perhaps he'll make a return at some point?

how can he be
god and be in pieces, bring me up to date

I tried to warn you, man

Your time would've been better spent elsewhere

Got done watching this 10 minutes ago, it was pretty good. My idea to get the full use out of a community UPF is for people to throw games at them on twitter/site like 3 days before UPF and they'll pick and choose what they want to play. This way, everyone wins. I too like the random nature of things but some people want them to play terrible shit. It's the same thing with Jeff's playlist, you could put cool things to listen to but no. Most people want to spam the same KIDS BOP KIDS song 100 times.

Fantastapotamus

how can he be
god and be in pieces, bring me up to date
He sacrificed himself to safe the world (because he was the "chosen one" or something). Abstergo found his body and cut it up. I mean none of this matters since the AC games have basically abandoned the "lore" pf the Desmond games at this point

only two of those uses their form of entertainment as an advantage like 999 does

Still, these stories have stayed with me and I remember them. That has to count for something. I almost feel that VN games are a cheat because their entire reason for existing is having a story that's worth a fuck to be worthy of something otherwise the game will be nonexistant because they won't even have gameplay to back themselves up.
Doesn't soma also do a pretty good job of telling story through gameplay?

Yes and no. Yes because the game has incredible, world building detailed stuff all around you in the environment. No because sometimes while you're engrossing yourself in that enviornment, you got some monster stalking your sorry ass at all times. On PC you could fix that with a mod to remove all enemies.

xuchu

super made up

SOMA also does use the video game medium in the way changes perspective
when you change bodies

People joke that a game like planescape can just be a book but it works as a video game because of the incredibly diverse choices you can make in a role playing sense.

Silent hill 2 has the best psychological horror story pound for pound. The way each character sees the monsters of silent hill are result of their inner demons and fears and themes it presents/what the monsters represent have had essays written about them same as mgs2. It can maybe work as a movie but little touches like the Mary's letter
slowly fading and becoming a blank piece of paper
by the end can only really have the same impact in a game.

Got done watching this 10 minutes ago, it was pretty good. My idea to get the full use out of a community UPF is for people to throw games at them on twitter/site like 3 days before UPF and they'll pick and choose what they want to play. This way, everyone wins. I too like the random nature of things but some people want them to play terrible shit. It's the same thing with Jeff's playlist, you could put cool things to listen to but no. Most people want to spam the same KIDS BOP KIDS song 100 times.

I mean, the audience was giving them nothing to work with, but that was far from the only reason the show was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom