• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Everyone, listen to me. We're going to get through this PUBG storm. You see the sun shining through the clouds? That's Mario Maker Switch. At some point, it will come out. At some point, we will get new Mario Maker content.

Stay strong.

Dude PUBG talk isn't going to last for 3 years, don't worry.

Everyone, listen to me. We're going to get through this PUBG storm. You see the sun shining through the clouds? That's Mario Maker Switch. At some point, it will come out. At some point, we will get new Mario Maker content.

Stay strong.

Why wait for the Switch version? They really should do another stream soon.

Some of those were hilarious to me. Like, they (mostly Patrick) literally learned why people play multiplayer games but I don't think they've realised that. He was gushing about how he played PUBG with people he knows to work towards something in the game, how those people took on different roles and how rewarding that feels. I honestly think he has never done that in a video game before and I expect a few articles about this new phenomenon soonish.

Yeah his whole thing was like "The great thing about PUBG is how there are all sorts of different situations, and the more you play the more experience you gain being in each type of situation, and so you know how to handle them and you start doing better more consistently. Amazing!"

Listened to the board game talk. Such a Bombcast move to condemn modern board games due to one bad experience. Between Brad, Jeff, and Ben there's too much "two people somewhere had a bad time so this thing must be no good". I've thought this several times in 20 minutes on this episode.

Thats my constructive criticism lol.

Antiwhippy

I was about to joke that allchat makes me believe that they voted for trump, but all I get from my servers are either people asking if others speak chinese or going "China no. 1" or "Taiwan no. 1".

Which just leads me to believe that the China vs Taiwan rivalry is the lamest rivalry ever.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah his whole thing was like "The great thing about PUBG is how there are all sorts of different situations, and the more you play the more experience you gain being in each type of situation, and so you know how to handle them and you start doing better more consistently. Amazing!"
Oh yeah, that part, too. Turns out putting more time into a multiplayer game makes you appreciate its intricacies more.

Listened to the board game talk. Such a Bombcast move to condemn modern board games due to one bad experience. Between Brad, Jeff, and Ben there's too much "two people somewhere had a bad time so this thing must be no good". I've thought this several times in 20 minutes on this episode.

"Board games are good, I played them"
"Hmmm the vibe I'm getting from Twitter is that board games are disappointing actually"

Antiwhippy

There's a rise of boardgames that are specifically built for boardgame geeks though and not for casual pick up and play.

Which is fine but of course you'd expect people to not get it.

daveo42

Banned
I feel like some of the bits they do they still feel somewhat obligated to cover. Like that OW bit was supposed to be news, but no one really cared all that much about it, so it's a throwaway. Maybe if they only focused on stuff they liked 100% of the time it would be an even better show, even if that means less VG talk. Hell, it's barely a VG podcast as is.

Not only, but yes, the bad comedy.

Jeremiah is a national treasure.

oti

Banned

I'm still wondering how Brad of all people would know how the FGC reacted when Smash 4 came out. Like, how? Did he read an article about it? Does he know someone who's super into Smash? Brad dismisses Smash every time he can (which is fine) so how would he know this?

Meneses

I love the Beastcast (actually, I pretty much only watch / listen to East content these days) but I agree that leaning heavily on comedy makes it more prone to having bits that fall flat.

We don't even need to look any further than last week's. I was about to turn off the podcast by the second time the "australian" lady came up, but then you tough it out and get to a top 10 podcast moment like Jeremiah.

Also, I was over PUBG stuff like 3 videos ago, but this is the way things work: sometimes a certain game takes everything by storm and you're lucky if you like it, or you have to be patient if you don't.

Something else will come up and people on both sides will find themselves on the other one.

Real Hero

I'm still wondering how Brad of all people would know how the FGC reacted when Smash 4 came out. Like, how? Did he read an article about it? Does he know someone who's super into Smash? Brad dismisses Smash every time he can (which is fine) so how would he know this?

He always makes random comments about how communities react to things. When Jeff was talking about that wrestling game Brad popped saying 'so nobody ever understood how they actually played until now??' just because that was Jeff's experience.

derFeef

Yeah that part was terrible.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
He does that a lot. He picks up the vibe of something and stays with it. But especially with multiplayer games you have to be somewhat careful about that. Pretty sure he did it with SFV recently, too.

derFeef

He does that a lot. He picks up the vibe of something and stays with it. But especially with multiplayer games you have to be somewhat careful. Pretty sure he did it with SFV recently, too.

That happens when you not play much games by yourself anymore.

Man I sound like the most jaded man regarding GB today. Love you all.

daveo42

Banned
This nancy drew playdate could be better.

It was nice to see a game series Abby grew up with, even if the games themselves were horrendous. I think it would have played better if Vinny could have played it a bit more (that red outline around the magnifying glass icon kind of killed it for him) and if the first game wasn't filled with the worst aspects of Adventure Game tropes.

Antiwhippy

I thought it was pretty fun. I got a kick out of Vinny struggling with the UI, but then when Abby took over, she was just flying through it.

That wooden shape puzzle needing to be pixel perfect would have driven me nuts IRL though.

It's pretty chill yeah. Not their usual zany streams but it's alright.

Also get even QL is on their youtube feed but not the site?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zaGUwbm3EI

bigkrev

Oh, yeah, I wanted to scream out loud at that. These board games are designed for people who are tabletop gamers already! The people I play board games with are all Magic The Gathering players, and we know exactly what we are in for.

Just like with video games, where you can have Candy Crush Saga,Mario Kart, Overwatch, and Eve Online all exist under the umbrella term of "Video Game" but each represent a step up in complexity and investment required, there are games for "People who don't play games" (Cards Against Humanity), "People who would be willing to try a game with a friend but wouldn't call themselves a gamer" (Codenames, Catan), "I'm a Gamer but I don't get hardcore into specific ones" (Betrayl at House on Haunted Hill), and "I'm a complete psycopath to whom Games are the only way I can experience joy" (Miniature games like War Machine and Warhammer)

oti

Banned
He does that a lot. He picks up the vibe of something and stays with it. But especially with multiplayer games you have to be somewhat careful about that. Pretty sure he did it with SFV recently, too.

SFV was super weird. Felt like he was pushing the "everyone hates SFV" narrative super hard, despite Jason telling him many pros really liked it.

Antiwhippy

oti

Banned
Err, I think you'd find that the Pro scene doesn't actually view SFV all that well lol. Evo SFV entrants is way down for a reason, other than entry being more expensive.

Near launch I mean. It wasn't "that" bad. Pros don't care about Story or Arcade mode. No matter what, Brad always painted it as people just wouldn't like SFV. Add Jeff, who performed a stunning 180 on that game, and you were ready for let's-shit-on-SFV Primetime. That game deserves a lot of criticism but the core was always exceptional.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Err, I think you'd find that the Pro scene doesn't actually view SFV all that well lol. Evo SFV entrants is way down for a reason, other than entry being more expensive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399879&highlight=evo+attendance

Look at the massive drop off for V.
Yeah I understand how you can get that vibe with the current attitude towards it online, but there's still 2,600 people flying to Vegas to play it. Biggest active fighting game right now and it sounded like they were talking about Skullgirls or something.

EVO numbers aren't the best indicator. Look at the Melee drop. People were unhappy about last year's EVO and I'm actually surprised SFV is still bigger than SF4 ever was.

edit: I suddenly see some fighting game regulars here lol

Antiwhippy

Mmmm.

I'm going to disagree with the core being exceptional.

Definitely not my favourite iteration of street fighter.

Harpuia

The entirety of the passpartout quicklook was me trying to reverse engineer what the game did to define what each customer type looks for in a painting. I wonder how complex they went. If it's color based or they did some more advanced trickery like contour detection.

xuchu

The entirety of the passpartout quicklook was me trying to reverse engineer what the game did to define what each customer type looks for in a painting. I wonder how complex they went. If it's color based or they did some more advanced trickery like contour detection.

They're looking for that human element :D

Goes to make Jeff in Fire Pro (having never ever touched a Fire Pro game before)
Starts with hair, this should be easy
Page full of options literally scrolls for over a minute
giphy.gif

I get overwhelmed and quit out of the editor

Antiwhippy

I mean, it's only 10% higher than the drop for Smash 4, and it's not like anyone thinks that Smash 4 is being rejected

But it's still a significantly higher drop than almost any other game on the list. I grant that there are external factors but seeing the sentiment around that game from the FGC I think it's more of a trend. I'll be surprised if capcom can sustain it as long as IV did.

Good point about smash, though I'm honestly pretty ignorant about the entire smash scene. Don't smash have bigger events? Could be Smash pros going fuck evo at the price hike if they have other tourneys to play, but Evo is a much bigger event for SFV.

"Board games are good, I played them"
"Hmmm the vibe I'm getting from Twitter is that board games are disappointing actually"

Oh, yeah, I wanted to scream out loud at that. These board games are designed for people who are tabletop gamers already! The people I play board games with are all Magic The Gathering players, and we know exactly what we are in for.

Just like with video games, where you can have Candy Crush Saga,Mario Kart, Overwatch, and Eve Online all exist under the umbrella term of "Video Game" but each represent a step up in complexity and investment required, there are games for "People who don't play games" (Cards Against Humanity), "People who would be willing to try a game with a friend but wouldn't call themselves a gamer" (Codenames, Catan), "I'm a Gamer but I don't get hardcore into specific ones" (Betrayl at House on Haunted Hill), and "I'm a complete psycopath to whom Games are the only way I can experience joy" (Miniature games like War Machine and Warhammer)

Yup yall pretty much summed it up lol. Maybe someone should write in an email about that?

Again I'm not super into board games (if I had a core group of friends who liked them I would be), but Codenames is a recent game that has taken off and there are plenty of games coming out that are accessible. One I have wanted to check out is called Potion Explosion, which is basically you filling up potion flasks with the colors you collect from a physical match 3 game:

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

To be fair that board game is no good. I do a board game night three times a month and have encountered that game twice now. First time we got too fucking drunk to finish so we made up rules to carry us through second time we swore off the drink and slowly our attention drew away and we watched a movie. It's a legitametly boring fucking game and so convoluted and tedious I might've had more fun eating it and passing it through my digestive system.

daveo42

Banned
Yup yall pretty much summed it up lol. Maybe someone should write in an email about that?

Again I'm not super into board games (if I had a core group of friends who liked them I would be), but Codenames is a recent game that has taken off and there are plenty of games coming out that are accessible. One I have wanted to check out is called Potion Explosion, which is basically you filling up potion flasks with the colors you collect from a physical match 3 game:

Potion Explosion is pretty good and light. I said this earlier, but something like Barenpark is a Zoo-building tetris-style game with all manner of bears.

barenpark-games-news.jpg

But as was said, there are board games out there for different levels of play and ease, just like video games. I just think Ben had a bad experience because he has friends that didn't do much research into the game they had and just picked it up because it was popular or highly rated. DOTA and LoL are super popular, but you wouldn't throw someone who is into Candy Crush or even CoD into a game and expect them to love it.

bigkrev

But it's still a significantly higher drop than almost any other game on the list. I grant that there are external factors but seeing the sentiment around that game from the FGC I think it's more of a trend. I'll be surprised if capcom can sustain it as long as IV did.

Good point about smash, though I'm honestly pretty ignorant about the entire smash scene. Don't smash have bigger events? Could be Smash pros going fuck evo at the price hike if they have other tourneys to play, but Evo is a much bigger event for SFV.

Actually wait, the first set of numbers in that post are wrong, SF is down 49% and S4 is down 43% and Melee is down 40%. Netherrealm only had a 20% increase going from a 2nd year of MXK to Injustice 2.

You can watch Street Fighter V on TNT now in prime time, which is completely crazy.

derFeef

To be fair that board game is no good. I do a board game night three times a month and have encountered that game twice now. First time we got too fucking drunk to finish so we made up rules to carry us through second time we swore off the drink and slowly our attention drew away and we watched a movie. It's a legitametly boring fucking game and so convoluted and tedious I might've had more fun eating it and passing it through my digestive system.

It's fine to trash that one game then, but not board games in general.
I don't play board games mind you.

barenpark-games-news.jpg

But as was said, there are board games out there for different levels of play and ease, just like video games. I just think Ben had a bad experience because he has friends that didn't do much research into the game they had and just picked it up because it was popular or highly rated. DOTA and LoL are super popular, but you wouldn't throw someone who is into Candy Crush or even CoD into a game and expect them to love it.

ha that looks sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom