• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

obaidr

Banned
coming along very good with the game. Right now i am
in the labyrinth and already killed Hera. Now I try to solve the puzzle to get up.
Somehow i coulndt find the final solution yesterday. Anyway on my way to that point i saw some stuff I didn't even dream of. The
fight scene with Chronos
, where you can see your self from about a mile away, just as a very small point on the screen but still 100% calculated, realtime rendered and interactive. How is that possible? There was not a single frame droped in that scene. I couldn't believe what I saw. There are so many of this moments. I would really love to read some deep analysis of how they did that stuff. Like I said before, this is the most impressive game I ever witnessed in my life. It looks so good i wanna have sex with my PS3.
Besides I want a whole game just based on the Aphrodite scene :D God damn it that scene was hot and those girls looked good :)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So how the hell to I redeem the Amazon Apollo code. I'm putting it in the Promo code space for one of my orders (just getting a couple CDs) and it still won't work. This is so dumb, why didn't they just give out PSN codes.

Cruzader

Banned
NameGenerated said:
So how the hell to I redeem the Amazon Apollo code. I'm putting it in the Promo code space for one of my orders (just getting a couple CDs) and it still won't work. This is so dumb, why didn't they just give out PSN codes.
Did you go to the site they give you and entered the code there? I think you then get emailed a PSN code.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
The email that the dude gave me, because I had to contact customer service to get it in the first place, doesn't have a site. It just says to put it in the promo code field when you place an order. If you have the link that'd be great.

wizword said:
I had alot of problems with this game versus the other god of wars

1. Kratos was an asshole in this game. He just was incredibly unlikeable the whole game his character unlike the first 2 games.
He killed the only likeable character in the game (Hephastus) making me actually want to quit the game. SCE santa monica really shouldn't have killed the only LIKEABLE character in the game. It just made me want to quit and stop playing the game.
In my opinion Kratos was much more unlikeable in part 2. Funny is that this is the reason why I don't like GoW2 really much regardless the great gameplay. Think Santa Monica improved Kratos' character in GoW3 and made him much more likeable. The kill you mention was pretty understandable if you ask me. After all the guy not only betrayed but also tried to kill Kratos. I mean, what kind of reaction you'd expect?

2.They kept showing the same epic set pieces over and over. I felt like this was due to budget (graphics were incredible) but come on the game basically only had
3 different stages that made up 80% of the game. The labrynth, Hell, and Mt. Olympus specifically where pandora box is. By the end of the game you go to all of them at least twice.
. Basically Causes the end of the game to be anti climatic.
I just don't get this point. Why all the hate for the backtracking? I LOVE backtracking and really missed it in part 2. Gives me a great feeling that this indeed is a coherent world.

And one more word about the story: Think Santa Monica did a great job in fixing the shit they've done to the series in part 2. Or, well, they a least they saved the whole thing. Still not above average though but enough to keep you interested to the end. Really miss the Kratos from part 1.

Cruzader

Banned
NameGenerated said:
The email that the dude gave me, because I had to contact customer service to get it in the first place, doesn't have a site. It just says to put it in the promo code field when you place an order. If you have the link that'd be great.
Step 1: Go to http://www.godofwar.com/skins/
Step 2: Enter the code found above
Step 3: Enter your PSN Id and Password.

When the Character Skin is available at launch, PSN will email you the Promotion Code to the e-mail address you provided when registering your PlayStation Network account. The email will include instructions on how to download and install the Character Skin via PSN account management to your PS3 system.

This is the first game that my girl friend actually likes playing because she does not need to worry about camera control. I started the game on easy for her and she loves it because she can just mash square. She beat Poseidon on her first try, it took me about 20
(I was playing on hard though)

Just beat
Kevin Sorbo
last night. Probably the easiest fight after
Hermes

Can't wait to get some more time to play.

Besides the Challange of Olympus trophy, if you play through the game on Hard can you get all the trophies in one play through?

Cruzader

Banned
I must say its easier to level up all weapons+find all magic/health/special items in single play through. I was glad I got those 2 things done in my first play. Normally I wouldnt be able to max out every weapon by like 1000 orbs. This time I had 400 or so spare orbs at the end. Im glad they made it fair-er this time. Near the end I needed 8000 orbs and easily got them from hidden chests :) which are plenty near the end.

So what Im saying is...no need for New Game + unless you just want to use all weapons from the start.

mattfabs

I just got the boots, and feel like I have missed a ton of powerup chests. I was able to upgrade my health bar once, but not the other two yet. Pretty frustrating, I had no problems in the first two games maxing out my health and magic.

mattfabs said:
I just got the boots, and feel like I have missed a ton of powerup chests. I was able to upgrade my health bar once, but not the other two yet. Pretty frustrating, I had no problems in the first two games maxing out my health and magic.
If you see glowing stream like auras like thing use Helio's head to get hidden treasure chests.

Halcyon

Beat the game on saturday. I'm annoyed that I believed that the game would be 10-12 hours. I played it on normal, and beat it in 8-9 hours. I didn't "rush" through it at all, but there was only one time where I had to keep replaying a section. That was the
spike section of the Labyrinth. I kept grabbing people or being shoved into the spikes in the second half of the fight for some reason and would die
But even that I only died 3 or 4 times.

I don't know how it took their fastest tester 12 hours to beat this game. It's not a long game.

Raist

Banned
HalcyonTB12 said:
Beat the game on saturday. I'm annoyed that I believed that the game would be 10-12 hours. I played it on normal, and beat it in 8-9 hours. I didn't "rush" through it at all, but there was only one time where I had to keep replaying a section. That was the
spike section of the Labyrinth. I kept grabbing people or being shoved into the spikes in the second half of the fight for some reason and would die
But even that I only died 3 or 4 times.

I don't know how it took their fastest tester 12 hours to beat this game. It's not a long game.

Maybe he wasn't a coward and played on Titan :p

As I stated in the past don't expect this game to really exceed GOW1 and 2's length. Of course it will match it. Great game for replaying though, if not one of the best games to replay. Taking on Chaos mode tomorrow wish me luck :lol

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I seriously cannot wait to play this game again. Last game to make me feel this excited to play again was Uncharted 2, obviously, but this doesn't happen to me very often.

ScOULaris

I wish someone from Santa Monica would leak the original ending planned for the game. As someone who thought that the new ending was thrown together and thematically incongruous to the rest of the series, I would love to see what Jaffe/Barlog had originally planned on doing.

AntMurda

When I started the game.

"Oh my god. Of my f***** god. This is the greatest game ever. Sooo Epic!"

Midway through the game.

"Hmmmm... Did this game run out of epicness? Oh wait.. This is kinda epic... Oh its over".

Ending the game.

"This game sucks"

Well the game obviously didn't suck. But the pacing is off like a previous poster mentioned. It blows it's wad in the first couple of hours. The rest of the game, especially the ending just seems dull in comparison.

KingGondo

Banned
AntMurda said:
Well the game obviously didn't suck. But the pacing is off like a previous poster mentioned. It blows it's wad in the first couple of hours. The rest of the game, especially the ending just seems dull in comparison.
I actually thought the
Zeus
boss fight was pretty awesome. Feels like you're finishing what was started in GoW2, and I'd be damn surprised if anyone's hands weren't sore after fighting him.

Plus, it's kinda the point that the ending is anticlimactic:
everyone is dead, the world lies in ruin, all that's left is for Kratos to come to terms with the havoc he wrought. It would have been incredibly lame for some other huge boss guy to rise out of the earth and say, "THIS ISN'T OVER, KRATOS." He sacrifices himself and the game lives up to its tagline: In the end, there will only be chaos. The gods aren't in charge any more, humans are in control of their own destinies.
Pretty powerful stuff for a video game, IMO.

The series comes full circle, and makes the first three games seem like a cohesive trilogy.

Ploid 3.0

KingGondo said:
I actually thought the
Zeus
boss fight was pretty awesome. Feels like you're finishing what was started in GoW2, and I'd be damn surprised if anyone's hands weren't sore after fighting him.

everyone is dead, the world lies in ruin, all that's left is for Kratos to come to terms with the havoc he wrought. It would have been incredibly lame for some other huge boss guy to rise out of the earth and say, "THIS ISN'T OVER, KRATOS." He sacrifices himself and the game lives up to its tagline: In the end, there will only be chaos. The gods aren't in charge any more, humans are in control of their own destinies.
Pretty powerful stuff for a video game, IMO.

The series comes full circle, and makes the first three games seem like a cohesive trilogy.

At the end (end of the game)
I kept pressing O for like a good 3 minutes when the screen was completely bloody. I didn't want to let that bugger come back from the dead hah. Finally dead!

AntMurda

It's not the story itself. Not even the ending cinematic. Just the sequence of stuff. While the last fight was ok. I have a problem that it just kind of happened.
Like poof. Here I am. I just teleported to you. Let's end this. I was expecting Kratos to really have some sort of challenge to get to Zeus's throne after the flame/pandora sequence

GOD OF WAR 3 made me do this!!:D :lol

11l4mcl.jpg

Ranger X

Just tried the game yesterday....

OMG

This is straight up there with Uncharted 2 as the best looking games this gen. I mean, FUCKING wow.

roxya

I played on Normal and my last autosave showed 8:05. God of War 2 took me 14 hours on normal.

It felt like less of an epic adventure, and I don't know if that's because of the length or the story/locations. Still, totally blew Dante's Inferno away.

ShinAmano

Finished it last night on Titan...seemed much easier than previous GoW games. Only fights I had any difficulty with were
Poseidon (getting my feet wet) and the Scorpion...I rocked everyone else...the group battle in the box was pretty tough...only because of the harpies.

Anyhow I plan to play on Chaos mode next...and then I will probably play once per outfit on a lower level just for the pure satisfaction of stomping everyone and everything without challenge. :lol

oh man. i was wondering why the game was so dark. i had "game mode" on my TV. turned it off and everything looked amazing game. And is SSM going to fix the button problem? It's very frustrating that I can't open chest properly.

roxya said:
I played on Normal and my last autosave showed 8:05. God of War 2 took me 14 hours on normal.

It felt like less of an epic adventure, and I don't know if that's because of the length or the story/locations. Still, totally blew Dante's Inferno away.

That time is only true, if you never died.

roMonster

Ranger X said:
Just tried the game yesterday....

OMG

This is straight up there with Uncharted 2 as the best looking games this gen. I mean, FUCKING wow.

Uncharted 3 with GOW3's AA will probably be the end all.

Raist

Banned
roMonster said:
Uncharted 3 with GOW3's AA will probably be the end all.

Yeah. From now on devs have absolutely no excuse whatsoever. If GoWIII can have such a powerful AA, any game can. Jaggies ban on PS3 games plz.

jett

D-Member
roxya said:

I think the game had more cut-scenes than any previous GOW game, and consequently less gameplay, also a lot of reused locations, I dunno. I was surprised how much of the game took place in Hades, to be honest the scenery didn't look that varied, and I was expecting something more suitably epic-looking for Mount Olympus. Remember the GOW1 ending with the awesome-looking golden scenery? What happened to that? :p

I definitely think they either ran out of money or time or manpower or something. With their titan tech and whatnot the endgame battles could've been much more epic.

edit: I also regret watching the GTTV special. That douche Keighly said how they only scratched the surface or whatever but they pretty much showed the entire game.

tzare

i am 4-5 hours into the game, amazing and varied so far. Some visuals are just unbeliavable. I hope to see more varied locations but so far i am really satisfied :)

Finished it last night and I have to say that I enjoyed GOW2 more. But 3 is better than the first game.

GOW2 felt more complete. More bosses, more varied locals and was a good 2-3 hours longer. I also like the enemies better and was a bit harder. 3 was too dark and hurt my eyes. Still such an amazing game.

I just have one question about a character in GOW1. Who is that Gravedigger? I dont think it is ever stated in the series who the hell he is.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Host Samurai said:
I just have one question about a character in GOW1. Who is that Gravedigger? I dont think it is ever stated in the series who the hell he is.

Zeus. Confirmed by Stig

jett

D-Member
Host Samurai said:
Wow. Did he just pull that out of his ass or was it stated in the game? Thanks for the answer because I had no clue.

I thought everyone realized the gravedigger was Zeus back then. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Host Samurai said:
Wow. Did he just pull that out of his ass or was it stated in the game? Thanks for the answer because I had no clue.
It was pretty obvious from the game itself, if you paid attention. Or at least I'd say very strongly hinted at.

jett

D-Member
drmcclin said:
What? Really??!?! I just replayed GOW1 in anticipation last week, and was wondering what the significance was. Mind Blown.

Probably a stupid question, but why exactly is he helping Kratos?

Ares was out of control, the Gods of Olympus were on Kratos's side back in GOW1. Of course then Kratos takes his place and turns out he's even worse. :p Also he is his son and stuff. As a sidenote I didn't like where GOW2 went with the story, everything got messed up and unfortunately GOW3 was tasked to make sense out of it all. :p

MattyH said:
ok loving the game but how do i get it to run in 1080i beacuse i cant find a menu option anywhere

You will have to force it by disabling 720p support in the PS3's video menu.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
drmcclin said:
What? Really??!?! I just replayed GOW1 in anticipation last week, and was wondering what the significance was. Mind Blown.

Probably a stupid question, but why exactly is he helping Kratos?

He wanted Kratos to stop Ares. Oh and remember Kratos did help the Gods in Chains of Olympus so, Zeus trusted Kratos.

jett

D-Member
Tom Penny said:
Woud there even be a noticable difference in 720p vs 1080i?

Probably not. I don't see why would anyone choose an interlaced output, except those with old CRT HDTVs that only support 1080i.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished the game last night. I absolutely loved it, and was totally impressed with the use of perspective and color in multiple points in the game.

The one thing I was really disappointed with was the lack of diversity in the weapons. While GoW1 and 2 had multitudes of different weapon types, GoW3 has
three chain whips and the cestus.

Even if the nemesis whip is insanely useful later in the game, I had an unnatural aversion to it, purely because it was yet another whip. I was hoping for a sword, an axe, etc. The Blade of Olympus is fantastic, but since it's relegated to being a super attack, it doesn't count.

I also had trouble seeing obstacles ahead if I slammed into something during the flying sequences, which often led to slamming into 3-4 more objects seconds later.

Other than that, the game was great. Truly awesome stuff.

Kos Luftar said:
That time is only true, if you never died.

You could say that about both. The point is irrelevant. GoW3 is significantly shorter than GoW2 (a plus for me. GoW2 went on forever)

DeadGzuz

Banned
I beat
Hades
last night on my first try after the pointers I got here. What a rush. I felt like a badass after that, the game just get better and better. Good stuff.

Top Bottom