• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Denzar

Audioboxer87 said:
Really sorry that happened to you mate :(

That's why right now I'm staying on GAF for ALL gaming news and discussion till GoW3. You guys never do shit like that and the mods here don't stand for any spoiler shit.

Thanks, man.

I'm am so careful, and still some douchebag managed to spoil it.

Still hyped to high heavens though. :D

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yay me too got it. 6 days early. Release date is 19 here in India.

45578_photo074.jpg

45579_photo079.jpg

Sorry for the shitty phone camera.

banKai said:
well, it seems that
he kills himself, but after the credits there is another short sequence and Kratos isn't there anymore! Still alive? I have to watch it again xD

I understood it that he dragged himself down the cliff, the same cliff he jumped down in GoW1. So imho he is 100% dead

kittoo said:
Yay me too got it. 6 days early. Release date is 19 here in India.

http://myph.us/pics/45578_photo074.jpg

http://myph.us/pics/45579_photo079.jpg

Sorry for the shitty phone camera.

Awesome. Release date was brought forward to 13th in India btw :p

Deepack said:
So close to release...

I have no confirmation yet ofc. but it seems fitting.

I can only begin to imagine the impact it would have had on me if I had not known.

Jesus fuck.

This line got me.

UGH FUCK THIS SHIT I AM OUT OF THE INTERNET

Street date seems to be already (or almost) broken.

Some Ultimate Trilogy editions have been sold in the morning (good ol' Europe).

Let's hope I can get mine this afternoon. Can't wait.

protonion

I've been playing this masterpiece for the last 3 days. I should have finished it by now but I keep deleting my save and replaying from the beginning so that it lasts longer :)

This is the closest a game has ever been to absolute perfection.
If I think about my favorite games of all time, I could easily find boring or frustrating parts. But not in GOW3.

The pacing is unreal.The battles happen as frequently as they should. The puzzles will take the right amount of time to be solved. In every single step you take the game will offer something to be excited about.

-Best graphics ever. If you hear anyone saying otherwise, he is wrong.

-Awesome boss battles. Quite lenghty too. SHOCKING brutal kills. I couldn't believe some of them...

-Kratos is kind of different this time. More calm (lol) and he says some unexpected lines.

-Battle system is greatly improved.I love the sense of weight.Great weapons.Cannot decide which one to use. In the previous games I used the blades only.

-Boobs!

OMGOW3 indeed!

klier

I have paid in full. The store I bought it better give me a call to say that the game has arrived before the 19th!!!!

Deepack said:
Spoiling GoW III ending in the fucking comments for videos that have nothing to do with GoW?

That's exactly why they post them in videos that have nothing to do with GoW3, they're more likely to get you. It's why you should avoid any comment sections from sites whenever a story focused game is close to coming out. There will always be someone that manages to find out what happens and they love nothing more than to spoil it for people that are trying to avoid those spoilers.

Denzar

SolidSnakex said:
That's exactly why they post them in videos that have nothing to do with GoW3, they're more likely to get you. It's why you should avoid any comment sections from sites whenever a story focused game is close to coming out. There will always be someone that manages to find out what happens and they love nothing more than to spoil it for people that are trying to avoid those spoilers.

I NEVER read comments (on GT), but while the site was loading it just appeared in front of my nose. I saw the word "Kratos" and immediatley turned away. Unfortunately the human eye does not read one word at a time.

I barely saw it, but it was long enough to know what that dipshit said.

Hydrargyrus said:
What's that yellow dot near the PEGI?

Dunno, but its also there on Heavy Rain, R&C, Eyepet and MAG. Its missing from all the third party games though, so it could be Sony's way of telling you its their own game.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
banKai said:
well, it seems that
he kills himself, but after the credits there is another short sequence and Kratos isn't there anymore! Still alive? I have to watch it again xD
fuck i accidentally read that fuck

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
One of my comic artists has put together a piece on God of War. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated =)

Full Comic

Here are a few of the panels

COMgow3pg1.jpg

COMgow3pg2.jpg

COMgow3pg4.jpg

evalue

Banned

evalue

Banned
rhino4evr said:
That sucks some of you read spoilers. I fucking hate spoilers!!!!

I feel for you. arent they called that for a reason though ?

Although I agree its somewhat insensitive if you post (even properly tagged) spoilers ahead of general release.

Simo

Cyberia said:

Nice! Looks like the inside is lined with felt too which is a nice touch.

I'm happy I was to able confirm with my Gamestop that yesterday they got their shipment of the ultimate edition in but like Square Triangle said, since the initial shipment was cut down they only got a small number of the UE that right now won't meet all reserves but Sony has promised the rest for launch day.

The clerk was telling me about Pandora's Box too since he peeked at it and said I should be set getting mine but I'll be checking out the midnight release anyways.

Jim

nskinnear said:
I said it's a pretty long game, and it's over 10 hours. I think Dogenzaka was the one who reported beating the game in 18 hours. Others have beaten it in 12 or so. Like I said, the game's length varies depending on the player. Besides, 12-18 hours is long for a game like God of War.

Playing on Hard will add a few hours at least, seriously. There are some super frustrating battles at the very end, like getting hit 3 times and you're done in a fight that may take 5+ minutes. Need to very accurately dodge and parry/counter or you're screwed.

I never got stuck like that in 1 or 2. It's significantly easier on Normal.

I can't wait for people to get it and beat it on Hard also... I want to discuss strategies :lol

evalue said:
worst camcorder in the history of mankind (records its own focus motor noise on the sound !!)

The eu ultimate trilogy edition includes a lot more in the box than that according to eu blog:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/12/17/god-of-war-iii-ultimate-trilogy-edition/

where can you order the ultimate edition in UK right now (not ebay!) ?

The EU version of it includes the US' preorder DLC and the God of War Collection, which has of course already been released here. In the end I think both regions get the same goodies.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Well being one of those guys hoping this game doesnt end in 8 hours, i think im going to do my first play through on hard to tack on a few more hours like Jim said.

And seeing everybody already has the game and is going spoiler crazy, i think i need to back out of this thread too just in case someone slips up and posts a spoiler. :X

vpance

Bad_Boy said:
Well being one of those guys hoping this game doesnt end in 8 hours, i think im going to do my first play through on hard to tack on a few more hours like Jim said.

Definitely going to start on hard too. It sounds like it has the perfect amount of challenge that requires a bit more strategy to stay alive. I would hate to breeze through the game on the first run like in U2 :|

DihcarEM

Finally we got to see an unboxing of the ultimate edition. Ofcourse the pal trilogy edition has more, 2 more skins(morpheus skin should also be added free for trilogy buyers),gow collection, soundtracks. The artbook looked kinda thin though. I don't know if it's worth a 150 euros(some retailers even go up to a 160,180euros) which translates to 206 dollars.

Ending spoilers, don't read if you don't want to know or haven't finished the game.
Tryckser said:
I understood it that he dragged himself down the cliff, the same cliff he jumped down in GoW1. So imho he is 100% dead
I disagree 100%.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
time for some impressions on grafix :
+it realy looks like painting most of the times
+fantastic character models
+impressive lighting and awesome hdr
+super smooth shadows, best on ps3
+scale
+lots of effects and shaders
- no SSAO
-MLAA is not as impressive as i imagined
-framerate, game stutters when fps goes from 40 or 50 to 30
its stunning but i still think u2 and killzone 2 are better looking games

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Caspel said:
One of my comic artists has put together a piece on God of War. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated =)

Full Comic

Here are a few of the panels

Not a comment on the comic itself, but the heading should be "A Comic based on God of War III." "Based off" is an increasingly used (but still incorrect) phrasing, and because this is content on a professional website, perhaps you care about that kind of thing.

Dogenzaka

Banned
protonion said:
I've been playing this masterpiece for the last 3 days. I should have finished it by now but I keep deleting my save and replaying from the beginning so that it lasts longer :)

Well that's unusual.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
daxter01 said:
-framerate, game stutters when fps goes from 40 or 50 to 30

Yeah. I know I'm gonna hate that shit when I get to play the game. I couldn't stand it in the demo. It's unbelievably stupid they didn't lock it @ 30fps.

BeeDog

TTP said:
Yeah. I know I'm gonna hate that shit when I get to play the game. I couldn't stand it in the demo. It's unbelievably stupid they didn't lock it @ 30fps.

I feel for you I guess; I was afraid of being highly irritated by the fluctuating framerate, but when I played the game yesterday it didn't bother me one bit. The added motion blur helps smoothing things out, and the game's not NEARLY as jitterish as the old demo. The frame drops are much milder in comparison. Thankfully, I've lived through early PC hell and can stand most shit games throw at me (except lousy multiplatform ports). :p

Jim

TTP said:

It's NOTHING like the demo.. not at all. It's so much smoother it's not even funny. The slight stutters happen usually outside of fights and even then it looks better than just 30fps. It's a lot closer to 60 than 30.

Dogenzaka

Banned
$100 for a plastic box, some codes and an unimpressive artbook + the game...hmm....I think I'll pass.

The codes are what I really want though :(

Firewire

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Well that's unusual.

Yeah deleting the save is a bit over the top. But after experiencing GOW1 when I got GOW2 I would play it in 1 hour spurts, then let it sit for a day or two. I just didn't want it to end, and doing so made the game last 2+ weeks! Try avoiding spoilers doing it that way. :lol

Anyways with GOW3 I'll play it straight through most likely. Over time I'm sure I'll end up playing it 10+ times like the first 2. It's easily one of my favorite franchises in gaming.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeeDog said:
I feel for you I guess; I was afraid of being highly irritated by the fluctuating framerate, but when I played the game yesterday it didn't bother me one bit. The added motion blur helps smoothing things out, and the game's not NEARLY as jitterish as the old demo. The frame drops are much milder in comparison. Thankfully, I've lived through early PC hell and can stand most shit games throw at me (except lousy multiplatform ports). :p

Well, it's good to hear it's better than the demo. But I do still wonder why the fuck they felt the need to keep fluctuations in considering the game can sustain rock solid 30fps.

Jim said:
It's NOTHING like the demo.. not at all. It's so much smoother it's not even funny. The slight stutters happen usually outside of fights and even then it looks better than just 30fps. It's a lot closer to 60 than 30.

Yeah, I get that. But the thing is, I can understand stutters occurring in a game that can't keep 30fps (you can't do much about it since it's an engine issue), but when you have an engine that can clearly hold those 30fps and even go beyond it, why the fuck wouldn't you lock it and instead keep the fluctuations in?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm takin a friend to the midnight launch and playing GOWIII through the early morning hours. Last game I did that for was GTAIV. It's gonna be awesome. :D

TTP said:
Well, it's good to hear it's better than the demo. But I do still wonder why the fuck they felt the need to keep fluctuations in considering the game can sustain rock solid 30fps.

Probably because the game is still capable of maintaining an average framerate close to 60, with no tearing.

BeeDog

TTP said:

True, but honestly, since the game manages to hover around 45 fps (give or take), the drop back down to 30 fps isn't dramatical at all. But then again, you're much more sensitive than me ;). (I have a keen eye for noticing this shit, but I've built up an immunity to most :p)

P.S. MLAA is the shit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Valkyr Junkie said:
Probably because the game is still capable of maintaining an average framerate close to 60, with no tearing.

Fluctuations are still bad tho. No matter if they occur between 15fps to 30fps or 40fps to 60fps.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't see the reason to let the fluctuation happening if you can run that shit at solid 30fps (which is good enough).

I avoided the old thread after the GTTV blow out so I missed a lot of info on development and such.

What is MLAA exactly and how is it different than MSAA or QAA ?

Dante

Saw this at GDC briefly, just wanted to say the in game motion blur really makes this look like pre rendered cgi at times. that and the near pristine image quality.

TTP said:
Fluctuations are still bad tho. No matter if they occur between 15fps to 30fps or 40fps to 60fps.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't see the reason to let the fluctuation happening if you can run that shit at solid 30fps (which is good enough).

Yes, we all know you hate that, but that doesn't mean you're speaking for everyone else especially when both GoW1 and GoW2 had this same "problem."

Top Bottom