• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Dave1988

TTP said:
Fluctuations are still bad tho. No matter if they occur between 15fps to 30fps or 40fps to 60fps.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't see the reason to let the fluctuation happening if you can run that shit at solid 30fps (which is good enough).

Not for an action game it isn't.

Jim

TTP said:
Well, it's good to hear it's better than the demo. But I do still wonder why the fuck they felt the need to keep fluctuations in considering the game can sustain rock solid 30fps.

Yeah, I get that. But the thing is, I can understand stutters occurring in a game that can't keep 30fps (you can't do much about it since it's an engine issue), but when you have an engine that can clearly hold those 30fps and even go beyond it, why the fuck wouldn't you lock it and instead keep the fluctuations in?

I normally agree... but in this case, they made the right choice. These fluctuations happen when it really doesn't matter. It's not usually right in the middle of a scene or sequence, and especially not during heavy action. It's handled differently.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Valkyr Junkie said:
Yes, we all know you hate that, but that doesn't mean you're speaking for everyone else especially when both GoW1 and GoW2 had this same "problem."

First of all I'm speaking for myself alone. And no, this is not the same problem GOW1 and 2 had. That's frame drops. Here we are talking of unnecessary jitter that could have easily removed.

Perhaps I'm not clear enough about the issue I have with this. Going by the first 10 minutes video I've seen, in the early part of the game, there is sequence where the camera travels down a rocky path on Gaia, arrives at Kratos and starts rotating around him as he swears the gods. During the whole sequence the frame rate is around 40fps I suspect, causing jitter (which are little pauses in-between "chunks" of smoothness if u get what I mean).

Look at the sequence between 2:35 - 2:50 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFswzvUcH8w (focus on the background foliage as the camera rotates around Kratos)

That was totally unnecessary and sequences like this one would have looked much better at 30fps. I understand fluctuation is not an issue during fights.

TTP said:
First of all I'm speaking for myself alone. And no, this is not the same problem GOW1 and 2 had. That's frame drops. Here we are talking of unnecessary jitter that could have easily removed.

Perhaps I'm not clear enough about the issue I have with this. Going by the first 10 minutes video I've seen, in the early part of the game, there is sequence where the camera travels down a rocky path on Gaia, arrives at Kratos and starts rotating around him as he swears the gods. During the whole sequence the frame rate is around 40fps I suspect, causing jitter (which are little pauses in-between "chunks" of smoothness if u get what I mean).

Look the the sequence between 2:35 - 2:50 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFswzvUcH8w (focus on the background foliage as the camera rotates around Kratos)

That was totally unnecessary and would have looked much better at 30fps.

There's no way to tell what framerate that segment is since that video capture is 30fps. I absolutely never judge the image quality of any game from a video if it's not on Blim's site. There are way too many variables to determine if that effect is due to the game, or the capture method. But yeah, jitter sucks.

TMoss

It's interesting watching you guys discuss issues due to the variable frame rate. We had *many* discussions about this. Ultimately we just decided we preferred sticking with variable all the way. The motion blur hides many ills (not all admitedly). Most people just simply don't notice. For this kind of game, we thnk higher is better, but everything is a compromise.

Firewire

Banned
I have pretty well trained myself to ignore dropping frame rates and tearing. It has made me a much happier gamer. :D

TMoss said:
It's interesting watching you guys discuss issues due to the variable frame rate. We had *many* discussions about this. Ultimately we just decided we preferred sticking with variable all the way. The motion blur hides many ills (not all admitedly). Most people just simply don't notice. For this kind of game, we thnk higher is better, but everything is a compromise.

Just wanted to say congrats on finishing up the game, and that I look forward to playing it! I'm sad that the adventure is ending but I'm also looking forward to whatever you guys do next!

hsukardi

TMoss said:

TTP is what you call, a frame-anal-sensitive whore.

Nice man though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Valkyr Junkie said:
There's no way to tell what framerate that segment is since that video capture is 30fps. I absolutely never judge the image quality of any game from a video if it's not on Blim's site. There are way too many variables to determine if that effect is due to the game, or the capture method. But yeah, jitter sucks.

I know. So, to those who have the game, does that shit occurring in the video occur in the actual game as well? All I need is an answer to this.

BeeDog

TMoss said:

I actually intended to ask Adam Puhl and Chris O'Neill about the variable framerate when they were here yesterday, but I completely forgot to ask. :lol I was mesmerized by how well the game ran on the stands to bother, though!

Jim

TTP said:
Look at the sequence between 2:35 - 2:50 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFswzvUcH8w (focus on the background foliage as the camera rotates around Kratos)

That was totally unnecessary and sequences like this one would have looked much better at 30fps. I understand fluctuation is not an issue during fights.

I'd rather them not gimp the action scenes so a mostly non-interactive scene would run at a locked framerate.

TTP said:
I know. So, to those who have the game, does that shit occurring in the video occur in the actual game as well? All I need is an answer to this.

From time to time yeah, in similar situations, but not when it really counts, i.e. fights or scenes that require split second timing.

TTP said:
So u confirm the jitter is that sequence is present in the game?
I'm pretty sure yeah. There are a few instances like that throughout.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jim said:
I'd rather them not gimp the action scenes so a mostly non-interactive scene would run at a locked framerate.

So u confirm the jitter is that sequence is present in the game?

BeeDog

TTP, you should do what I've been doing for a loooong time now; console yourself with the fact that the game can't be played on another platform with better performance whatsoever. BAM! Becomes much easier to swallow.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheThunder said:
Playing MGS4 must have been a nightmare for you TTP :D

Goddammit not this shit again. I love games. I've finished MGS4 SIX TIMES, I platinum'ed the framerate/IQ mess called InFamous and I'm enjoying the tearing wars in Bad Company 2. I'm sure I'll enjoy the shit out of GOWIII.

gbovo

TTP said:
Yeah. I know I'm gonna hate that shit when I get to play the game. I couldn't stand it in the demo. It's unbelievably stupid they didn't lock it @ 30fps.
Then don't buy the game if it's going to bother you. And while you're at it, stop playing videogames altogether.

onken

Well I just spent the afternoon getting my GoW2 platinum (fuck you Titan challenge 7), my pre-order is in, roll on Friday.

Dave1988

TMoss said:

I have a question: what made you guys decide not to let weapons carry over to the next playthrough?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gbovo said:
Then don't buy the game if it's going to bother you. And while you're at it, stop playing videogames altogether.

Me actually playing games that bother me technically should be telling about how much I love gaming.

Spike

Torontonians looking for GoW3 should check their local flea markets. The Dr. Flea at Albion Road and Highway 27 is selling it for $65.

Slurmer

Banned
TTP said:
First of all I'm speaking for myself alone.

Let's not overlook this. Some won't mind; others won't even notice. It's just something that's annoying to him, no reason for anyone else to get upset.

gbovo

hsukardi said:
TTP is what you call, a frame-anal-sensitive whore.

Nice man though.
It's just his way of showing that no matter how amazing a game looks, he still has higher standards than the rest of us.

TheThunder said:
Playing MGS4 must have been a nightmare for you TTP :D

He was too busy orgasming to notice any frame rate issues. Anyways, 'Game of the Forever' is allowed a few issues. :lol

gbovo said:
It's just his way of showing that no matter how amazing a game looks, he still has higher standards than the rest of us.

I dont think he had many issues with Uncharted 2. Its not his fault his eyes are more sensitive than a baby's bottom.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
iamcool388 said:
He was too busy orgasming to notice any frame rate issues. Anyways, 'Game of the Forever' is allowed a few issues. :lol

:lol

Well, just to be more clear, I'm not bitching about frame drops here. This is totally different complain. I'm not complaining about sub-30fps frame drops cos there aren't any. I'm simply questioning the reasoning behind letting the frame rate go above 30fps (which causes jitter when v-sync is enabled) during those non-interactive sequences I've indicated (which seem to be running at about 40fps)

onken

Dave1988 said:
I have a question: what made you guys decide not to let weapons carry over to the next playthrough?

Yeah that sucks, was charging through GoW2 today with a maxed out Sword of Olympus, so fun cleaving guys in half like they're made of butter.

TTP said:
Goddammit not this shit again. I love games. I've finished MGS4 SIX TIMES, I platinum'ed the framerate/IQ mess called InFamous and I'm enjoying the tearing wars in Bad Company 2. I'm sure I'll enjoy the shit out of GOWIII.

I'm sure you will. Just sayin' if you want perfect IQ with 60+ fps and no tearing you are rarely gonna find it on consoles.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheThunder said:
I'm sure you will. Just sayin' if you want perfect IQ with 60+ fps and no tearing you are rarely gonna find it on consoles.

I'm not asking that much. I'll do that when next gen comes ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
2&2 said:
Ugh. No new game+ = sellback once I'm through.
Someone who has the game said there is a New Game +, it's just implemented strangely. I'll just spoiler for those who are sensitive but it's just a description of how it works.
After you beat the game you can do a playthrough on the same difficulty or lower, there's a symbol next to the ones you can do it on. You don't get all of the weapons and stuff as soon as you start, you still get them at the game's normal pace, but when you do they'll be at the level you got them to on a previous playthrough and you can continue upgrading them.

Dave1988

RoboPlato said:
Someone who has the game said there is a New Game +, it's just implemented strangely. I'll just spoiler for those who are sensitive but it's just a description of how it works.
After you beat the game you can do a playthrough on the same difficulty or lower, there's a symbol next to the ones you can do it on. You don't get all of the weapons and stuff as soon as you start, you still get them at the game's normal pace, but when you do they'll be at the level you got them to on a previous playthrough and you can continue upgrading them.

Nope, only the godly possessions carry over. Everything else starts from scratch.

Animator

Dogenzaka said:
$100 for a plastic box, some codes and an unimpressive artbook + the game...hmm....I think I'll pass.

The codes are what I really want though :(

Yea I dont give two shits about the box either, the art book is really disappointing. I was hoping for something like bioshock 2's artbook. Gonna switch my order to regular version tomorrow.

Pimpbaa

Do Sony's development teams share tech? Would be nice if all 1st party games used morphological anti aliasing. Hell it should be shared with 3rd parties too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pimpbaa said:
Do Sony's development teams share tech? Would be nice if all 1st party games used morphological anti aliasing. Hell it should be shared with 3rd parties too.
They do sometimes. Guerrilla games shared their no-tear code with Naughty Dog for Uncharted 2, as well as their motion blur technique if I'm not mistaken.

MYE

beast786 said:
Just finished the game a little more than 12 hrs.

What a fantastic ride. The making of GOW videos are amazing. :D

How would you rank it next to the other two (or three if you want to count CoO)?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Ok for real this time I'm heading off to a mom-and-pop store, a Target, a Blockbuster and a Wal-mart in my area. I'm in Houston so I'll let you know if I find anything. (unlikely....we never get stuff early :()

One time I found LittleBigPlanet recall-copy at the Target near my house. I was about to purchase it before the computer stopped me, saying it was a recall copy. "You don't want that" said the lady, as she stuffed it back into storage.

:(

Magnus

I probably aided in contributing to the confusion re: new game + as I didn't understand it fully at the time myself. There is, in fact, no new game + option in GoW3. Only one element from the first playthrough carries over.
The godly relics, which help you approximate godliness at any rate.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Magnus said:
I probably aided in contributing to the confusion re: new game + as I didn't understand it fully at the time myself. There is, in fact, no new game + option in GoW3. Only one element from the first playthrough carries over.
The godly relics, which help you approximate godliness at any rate.

But another poster just said that
you don't start with the all the weapons on the second playthrough, but when you get them, they are already powered up from your previous playthrough, allowing you finish maxing them out if you haven't already.
Is that not true?

I suppose this wouldn't be apparent if you haven't gotten very far into a new game+ playthrough.

Oh, also, how many
relics
are there?

beast786

theignoramus said:
do you have to buy some sort of special edition to get these making of videos?

No you dont. You unlock it after beating the game. Awesome stuff in it.

MYE said:
How would you rank it next to the other two (or three if you want to count CoO)?

The biggest improvement beside the obvious scale is the combat system. The new stuff added really change the way i played the game compare to GOW1/2.

GOW 3... GOW 2....GOW 1 in that order. GOW 3 for sure improves on every aspect. I played and finished Coo but it really is not in the same league as the number series.

Lion Heart said:
What difficulty did you play on?

Played on Normal (GOD MODE). I was getting my bud kicked even in the Normal mode. Because i was spamming like i used to in GOW 1/2. The game forces you to use deep combat system. Once i adjusted and start trusting my other moves /weapon the game flew like butter.

Dogenzaka

Banned
FFFFFFF

I went to Blockbuster, Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Toys'RUs, and an independent store called GamesPlus, and no one had either Pokemon HG/SS or God of War 3 on-display. :(

Top Bottom