• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

whitehawk

Banned
slider said:
Interesting. The real reason I've picked it up was for the story (having recently finished Chains of Olympus). About half way through the first, can't wait to get into the 2nd.

Thanks.
Dude, seriously. You're only halfway through the first? These are the best games of the last decade, why haven't you played them yet?!?! Whatever you do, beat both of those babies before tuesday.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I actually preferred the God 2 story over God 1.

It knew what it was and didn't have any reservations about it. God 1 tried a little too hard for my liking.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I liked everything about 2 over 1. Even if I love 3, I don't foresee it beating 2 unless it's something truly special.

slider

whitehawk said:
Dude, seriously. You're only halfway through the first? These are the best games of the last decade, why haven't you played them yet?!?! Whatever you do, beat both of those babies before tuesday.

Oh no, I finished the first on my PS2, just "re"picked-up the Collection. I had the 2nd on PS2 too but never finished it. I'm getting a vague recollection of a very noticeable step up in gfx. Ahh, simpler times.

vazel

Banned
Let's keep in mind that these are popcorn action games to begin with so story was never key to begin with. But the second game did have less emphasis on characters and less cutscenes. It emphasized its action more, which some like Rez liked because they see it as the game not making any pretensions.

Talon

vazel said:
Let's keep in mind that these are popcorn action games to begin with so story was never key to begin with. But the second game did have less emphasis on characters and less cutscenes. It emphasized its action more, which some like Rez liked because they see it as the game not making any pretensions.
Exactly. If you're playing GoW for the story, you're doing it oh so wrong.

This really applies for both GoWs.

Magnus

Ever since I finished 3 I've been eyeing the collection at work. I know the answer will probably be a resounding yes from everyone, but will 1 and 2 be worth the time if I already know the entire storyline and already have and have played 3?

Magnus said:
Ever since I finished 3 I've been eyeing the collection at work. I know the answer will probably be a resounding yes from everyone, but will 1 and 2 be worth the time if I already know the entire storyline and already have and have played 3?

They are still great experiences and everyone should play them.

That said, I am not sure how fulfilling the combat system would be (GoW3 seems to have improved it quite a bit.)

JWong

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Fellow Canadians, location for Midnight launch are as follows:

- EB Games: http://www.gamestop.ca/stores/gs_playstation.aspx (Official PlayStation Street Teams will be on 2 locations for you to enjoy God of War 3 before it releases. There'll be tons of giveaways PLUS a draw for a PlayStation prize pack which will include a 250GB PlayStation 3, a Red Dual Shock 3 controller and the God of War collection).
- Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.ca/EN-CA/GodOfWar.aspx (Free God of War T-shirt for first 100 people in store locations mentioned. Other stores will have minimum of 25).
- Future Shop - http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/godofwar.aspx (Official PlayStation Street Teams will be on 2 locations for you to enjoy God of War 3 before it releases).
What's that 25 minimum at other stores mean for Bestbuy?

soldat7

corrosivefrost said:
What? :lol

God of War I has the upper hand on God of War II with regards to story. In fact, beyond the opening level of God of War II, God of War I is the better game overall.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rez said:
I actually preferred the God 2 story over God 1.

It knew what it was and didn't have any reservations about it. God 1 tried a little too hard for my liking.
Trying hard or not still you have to admit that the story in 2 would be nothing if it wasn't for the story in first one. One of the reasons why the series is not just another dumb hack & slasher is that they actually built some character and motivation in Kratos, and the way they unveiled it was pretty admirable for an action game - slowly and carefully, and you see eventually that he is not just some dumb moron who kills everything in his way just because he feels like it. Second game kinda threw that out of the window somewhat, I guess explaining it by the fact that he went completely mad.

If you think about it, you could build a good action movie story around the story of the first game, perhaps adding more subtlety here and there. I doubt you could do the same with the second one. I also disagree with whoever said above that the 2nd game had less emphasis on story, it's just that the story itself was more forgettable.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JWong said:
What's that 25 minimum at other stores mean for Bestbuy?
That the stores that aren't doing midnight launches will have a minimum of 25 t-shirts to give away for free.

Talon- said:
Exactly. If you're playing GoW for the story, you're doing it oh so wrong.

This really applies for both GoWs.
Eh. I loved Kratos' story in GoW 1. Combined with a stellar soundtrack, I almost got misty eyed
near the end when he tries to protect his family from clones and still get fucked over.
GoW 2, not so much. 2 was straight up electric boogaloo time.

holla812

I'm going to buy and replay the 1st and 2nd God of War so I probably won't be getting God of War 3 at launch. I still plan on getting it though nonetheless.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rez said:
I wish Stig and co had just swallowed their pride and locked the bitch down at 30.
Why? If they can keep it even between 40-50FPS (like the DF analysis showed), rather than 30-40 like in the demo, that will feel and play more fluidly than it could at locked 30, especially now that they have the ridiculous quality for motion blur that should smooth things out.

Sidzed2

While God of War 2 is ultimately the superior game, hands down, the original has the more impactful (if less 'eventful') story. God of War 1 was driven by rage and grief, and that humanised Kratos a little bit... God of War 2 portrayed him as a one-note angry man without any semblance of humanity.

I hope they dial Kratos down just a tiny bit in God of War 3 and imbue with him with the tiniest sliver of humanity.

Just finished reading the plot lines from God of War Chains of Olympus, God of War, God of War Betryal and God of War II on Wikipedia as well watching the last cinematics for God of War Games netherless I am pumped for tuesday.

JWong

Banned
Fuzzy said:
That the stores that aren't doing midnight launches will have a minimum of 25 t-shirts to give away for free.
First 25? That means I gotta line up for the store opening? 8)

I should phone them just in case. Otherwise I will head to those midnight launch locations.

Sidzed2 said:
While God of War 2 is ultimately the superior game, hands down, the original has the more impactful (if less 'eventful') story. God of War 1 was driven by rage and grief, and that humanised Kratos a little bit... God of War 2 portrayed him as a one-note angry man without any semblance of humanity.

I hope they dial Kratos down just a tiny bit in God of War 3 and imbue with him with the tiniest sliver of humanity.
I hope so too. But I don't see that happening...the Fear Nothing trailer made it abundantly clear that Kratos is going on a path that leads to nothing but chaos. He's past the grief and regret phase now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
Why? If they can keep it even between 40-50FPS (like the DF analysis showed), rather than 30-40 like in the demo, that will feel and play more fluidly than it could at locked 30, especially now that they have the ridiculous quality for motion blur that should smooth things out.
I guess it depends what you mean by fluid. A solid 30 will always feel more fluid to me than any sort of variable frame rate. The second my eye notices some change in the frame-rate, I'm instantly reminded of the technical side of the game (much like a texture-load or an extra-long load time), and when a game is all about the giant epic 'experience', I prefer not to be taken out of the experience. I mean, props to them for getting it so damn close while still looking so damn good, but if it ain't consistent then it isn't as 'fluid' as it could be at a locked frame rate.

It isn't like God 3 contains an intricate frame counting, cancel-filled game system that requires the responsiveness only 60fps can provide. I feel it would work just fine at 30.

But, hey, what can you do. This is only something I'll really care about now before I actually have the game, or maybe in a couple of months when I'm looking back on it. It won't matter on Tuesday (well, Thursday for me) when I'm actually playing the game.

Lord Error said:
Trying hard or not still you have to admit that the story in 2 would be nothing if it wasn't for the story in first one. One of the reasons why the series is not just another dumb hack & slasher is that they actually built some character and motivation in Kratos, and the way they unveiled it was pretty admirable for an action game - slowly and carefully, and you see eventually that he is not just some dumb moron who kills everything in his way just because he feels like it. Second game kinda threw that out of the window somewhat, I guess explaining it by the fact that he went completely mad.

If you think about it, you could build a good action movie story around the story of the first game, perhaps adding more subtlety here and there. I doubt you could do the same with the second one. I also disagree with whoever said above that the 2nd game had less emphasis on story, it's just that the story itself was more forgettable.
I'd argue that God 2 could work just as well without God 1's foundation. Kratos is the God of War: go.

I suspect God 1's story may have worked better at the time than it did when I played the game (mid-08, and again in the collection last year). You, and others, talk about it like it paints Kratos as some out of the ordinary, interesting (anti?) hero, but to me it was just another angry dude with a dark past presented in a fairly predictable way. It felt dated.

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't, you know, all that note-worthy. It felt like a vehicle to deliver the awesome Ancient-Greek environments and general mythos, and it did it well.

Rez said:
I suspect God 1's story may have worked better at the time than it did when I played the game (mid-08, and again in the collection last year). You, and others, talk about it like it paints Kratos as some out of the ordinary, interesting (anti?) hero, but to me it was just another angry dude with a dark past presented in a fairly predictable way. It felt dated.

Like you said, probably you played it too late. There were already many games out there that copied the gameplay and the character, so you played the "first" one of these type of games years later. They always feel dated ^^

Sidzed2 said:

:lol :lol :lol

I'm not sure if you've been spoiled on the demo or some segments from the final game but man.. you couldn't be farther from the truth...

holla812 said:
I'm going to buy and replay the 1st and 2nd God of War so I probably won't be getting God of War 3 at launch. I still plan on getting it though nonetheless.

I'm with you. I just ordered the Collection to remind myself of the story and to basically get two games for 30 bucks. I want GoW III but just bought BC2 and can't spring for a full game. Either way it will be cheaper when I finally get it!

DihcarEM

Dave1988 said:
Sorry to disappoint....

Costume roster.

The costume you get for beating the game is called "Fear Kratos". I was really hoping that they'd put the God of War armor in there but oh well....maybe as DLC.

Speaking of DLC...I remember a developer from SM wrote on the official GoW forum (AFAIK) that while there is no weapon carry over in the game, it may be added in a future patch if they get the response from the fans that they want this feature back. So GAF, you know what to do :p

Shit that's awesome. Makes me really glad now that i have the ultimate trilogy edition on pre-order. Just need the morpheus skin to complete my collection.

Come on Santa Monica, bring on the dlc. I want the epilogue that was cut+more single player dlc+more costumes. If this really is the last Kratos God of war game then they have to go all out.

Animator

I am very disappointed there is no Cod of war costume unlock for beating the game. Was looking forward to using that for my second playthrough :(

Papercuts

Animator said:
I am very disappointed there is no Cod of war costume unlock for beating the game. Was looking forward to using that for my second playthrough :(

Same. Every game always had a funny joke costume, all of the ones in 3 aren't nearly as good without even mentioning the fact there's only ONE in game and the rest are scattered all over making it next to impossible to even have them all. Fucking stupid.

DihcarEM

Papercuts said:
Same. Every game always had a funny joke costume, all of the ones in 3 aren't nearly as good without even mentioning the fact there's only ONE in game and the rest are scattered all over making it next to impossible to even have them all. Fucking stupid.

I hate the joke costume, i'll definitely will not be buying cod if it's made.
About the other costumes, i think it's very likely that we'll get a a full all 5 costumepack and each one availble for sale seperately some time after the release.

Papercuts

I think it's likely too, but the whole concept of buying shit that was always an extra in the other games doesn't fly with me.

Combichristoffersen said:
GoW 1 has the better story. GoW 2 has the better everything else.

This man speaks the truth although I LOVED the desert of lost souls in GOW1. The first time I played back when it came out was so awesome :D

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I'm two hours in and so far i've been having a blast. Texture quality still doesn't top Uncharted 2 but the art direction - especially at a certain point in the game - is definitely on par with what Jaffe described a while back.

ram

what the hell is with the puzzles in gow3?

i am at
the three judges
, made the kill-challenges but cant figure out, what now. the icy things at the heads arent going away and i dont have a clu, where i should head now?

help?

Rengoku

Finished the game last night. Overall play time was about 12 hrs. Surprisingly, it actually felt much shorter than that, I guess it was the awesome pacing.

Absolutely incredible game, jaw-dropping artwork, sometimes I wish I could have had free control of the camera. I will say the graphics aren't quite as consistent. Some environments aren't as detailed as others, and some character models don't compare to the quality of Kratos' model. I didn't notice any framerate issues, I guess I'm just not very sensitive to framerate drops. The motion blur definitely helps the game feel CG-like at some points.

Overall, the sheer scale and intensity of the boss fights are just insane. Add some pretty clever puzzles
(dog kicking puzzle - lol!)
and near perfect pacing, it truly was a next-gen GOW worthy experience. The last couple hours were a blur, soaked with so much awesome. Bravo Sony Santa Monica, you guys did an amazing job!

Rengoku

ram said:
what the hell is with the puzzles in gow3?

i am at
the three judges
, made the kill-challenges but cant figure out, what now. the icy things at the heads arent going away and i dont have a clu, where i should head now?

help?

Don't worry about the icy things for now, just keep going, you'll come back to it later in the game

Xater

Rengoku said:
Finished the game last night. Overall play time was about 12 hrs. Surprisingly, it actually felt much shorter than that, I guess it was the awesome pacing.

Wow that's way longer than my playthroughs of GoW 1 and 2. Those clocked for me at about 6-8 hours.

Rengoku said:

Absolutely incredible game, jaw-dropping artwork, sometimes I wish I could have had free control of the camera. I will say the graphics aren't quite as consistent. Some environments aren't as detailed as others, and some character models don't compare to the quality of Kratos' model. I didn't notice any framerate issues, I guess I'm just not very sensitive to framerate drops. The motion blur definitely helps the game feel CG-like at some points.

Overall, the sheer scale and intensity of the boss fights are just insane. Add some pretty clever puzzles
(dog kicking puzzle - lol!)
and near perfect pacing, it truly was a next-gen GOW worthy experience. The last couple hours were a blur, soaked with so much awesome. Bravo Sony Santa Monica, you guys did an amazing job!

Thanks for the impression. What difficulty where you playing on?

ram

Rengoku said:
Don't worry about the icy things for now, just keep going, you'll come back to it later in the game

but where? over the wide cliff with the red chest?

EDIT:

problem solved, the game is full of cheap deaths and the fucking double jump wont work rightly. thats soo stupid...

Rengoku

Xater said:
Wow that's way longer than my playthroughs of GoW 1 and 2. Those clocked for me at about 6-8 hours.

Yeah, GOW2 took me 8.5 hrs, but somehow, it felt longer than my GOW3 playthough. I think it might have been that I had more frustrating moments in GOW2.

Lifejumper said:
Thanks for the impression. What difficulty where you playing on?

I played it through normal difficulty, it seemed easier than normal on GOW2, maybe I should have done Hard mode for this.

ram said:
problem solved, the game is full of cheap deaths and the fucking double jump wont work rightly. thats soo stupid...

Yeah, I'd say 2/3rds of my deaths were from falling off the wrong cliff or missed double jumps.

Top Bottom