• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rez said:
But, hey, what can you do. This is only something I'll really care about now before I actually have the game, or maybe in a couple of months when I'm looking back on it. It won't matter on Tuesday (well, Thursday for me) when I'm actually playing the game.
We'll see. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 50FPS with motion blur like the have, should feel extremely fluid.

Rez said:
I'd argue that God 2 could work just as well without God 1's foundation. Kratos is the God of War: go.
I doubt it. You need some kind of origin story for any kind of superhero, which is what Kratos pretty much is. Otherwise, you're working with a character in a position where he doesn't make any sense. Besides, I honestly don't remember just about anything of story from GoW2, despite having played it a couple of years after GoW1. To me, that makes it literally unmemorable. I did enjoy the game a lot though, probably more than first one actually, due to it's better epicness, action and puzzles.

Rez said:
I suspect God 1's story may have worked better at the time than it did when I played the game (mid-08, and again in the collection last year). You, and others, talk about it like it paints Kratos as some out of the ordinary, interesting (anti?) hero, but to me it was just another angry dude with a dark past presented in a fairly predictable way. It felt dated.
That's the case with most things that do something worth copying. Eventually the concept will be done better and more refined. Case in point, I only finally played and completed Half Life 2 for the first time last year, and was surprised by how underwhelmed I was by it. I know you think it's the bestest game of all time, but as they say, for me it was just wednesday.

Snipes424

so it just hit me just now that I will be playing god of war 3 in about 21 hours from now.

It's like when you were a kid and the night before Christmas where you can't sleep.

Ninja_Hawk said:
Canceled UE, decided I couldn't/wasn't going to wait 2 extra days :lol got the regular with release date shipping!

It makes me sick that I couldn't find a website with release date shipping for UE, and when I went to gamestop they sold out of them, but oh well, at least tonight I get to play it :D

Snipes424 said:
so it just hit me just now that I will be playing god of war 3 in about 21 hours from now.

It's like when you were a kid and the night before Christmas where you can't sleep.

It makes me sick that I couldn't find a website with release date shipping for UE, and when I went to gamestop they sold out of them, but oh well, at least tonight I get to play it :D
That's exactly what I was thinking lol. I was like screw it, I just want to play the damn game!

BeeDog

Damn, just two days away no. Someone, hold me!

2rcs6fp.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Oozinator said:
Is God of War III going to be the Ultimate PS3 system seller that will make it beat the 360 in total lifetime console sales ?

andherewego.gif

Seriously though, no. GoW III will possibly (and most likely) end up being the best game I've played since GoW II, and stand proud as a testament to what developers can do with the PS3 if they're just given the time and money to make it sing. But it's not much of a system seller, unlike GT5.

And my copy was shipped today :D

Veelk

Banned
RustyNails said:
1. Blind rage
2. Going back and saving his wife and kid will mean going back to serving Ares, which Mr. Kratos is not particularly fond of at the moment. Not after he witnessed the gods' treachery. He's also past the grief and regret phase.
3. He doesn't want to stop what he started, which is the complete annihilation of EVERY FUCKING THING, including Zeus himself.
Edit: Also, don't let people tell you GoW has no story/shit story. They don't know any better.

1. Agreed
A non issue. He can easily kill ares in that state. All the gods hate Ares, so I doubt they'll care, but in the event that they would, kratos can have simply go back to when the Barbarian was going to kill him and save himself, avoiding the matter entirely. It won't even cause a time paradox, since bringing in the titans from the other timeline hasn't.
3. On the contrary, he just wants to kill Zeus and has repeatedly stated so. He's just going to kill everyone who gets in his way.

There is certainly a story, and while I wouldn't call it a shit story (that goes to DMC4 and 2 and the Ninja Gaiden series), it's certainly not on any level deep, meaningful, and hardly makes sense (it was doing a relatively decent job until they put time traveling into the mix. Time travel always ruins things). The story is this: An absurdly strong and morally questionable demigod gets pissed at certain people who may or may not be at fault and decides to kill them and everything in his way to them, making time inbetween that to have threesomes with hot women.

Rez said:
I suspect God 1's story may have worked better at the time than it did when I played the game (mid-08, and again in the collection last year). You, and others, talk about it like it paints Kratos as some out of the ordinary, interesting (anti?) hero, but to me it was just another angry dude with a dark past presented in a fairly predictable way. It felt dated.

I'd agree, but I can't think of a single game that really copied the GoW story. For those agreeing with him, can you give me examples? As far as I know, most games just took the QTE that made GoW so popular.

ehh I'm thinking of cancelling my Ultimate Edition after seeing that unboxing.

Very un-epic.

EDIT: Welp, Amazon says it's shipping soon, so whatevz.

Jas

Snipes424 said:

Feel the same way. I almost caved and canceled my Ultimate Edition pre-order from Amazon so I could get it at midnight but decided to keep it. With that said, I just checked my order and the status changed to "Shipping Soon". It would be a nice present to get this from UPS tomorrow :D

shagg_187 said:
What's wrong with Ultimate Edition?

Doesn't look like to be worth it. I'm sure the documentary will be on youtube after a while and all the skins and stuff will be DLC so for me is the challenge rooms + art book worth $100 ?

kinda leaning towards no.

Excluding the content, how's the Ultimate Edition's box? Soft like Resistance 2's Special Edition or Hard like GTA4 Special Edition? I'm just wondering cause I love opening packages and not via youtube.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
polyh3dron said:
ehh I'm thinking of cancelling my Ultimate Edition after seeing that unboxing.

Very un-epic.

EDIT: Welp, Amazon says it's shipping soon, so whatevz.

Shipping soon? Which state are you in?

DihcarEM

Oh god that sucks, the artbook in the trilogy edition looks so puny. I'm leaning more towards the collector's edition now. Can you choose which 2 costumes to download or is it pre-set? I hope we don't have to wait too long before the rest of the costumes are for sale on psn.

DihcarEM said:
Oh god that sucks, the artbook in the trilogy edition looks so puny. I'm leaning more towards the collector's edition now. Can you choose which 2 costumes to download or is it pre-set? I hope we don't have to wait too long before the rest of the costumes are for sale on psn.

The 2 skins included are: Phantom of Chaos and Dominus. They are pre-set.

So, I wasn't going to be able to afford the game, but my GF ordered a copy for my birthday. She even placed it through my Amazon account so I'd get the $10 promo credit towards my next game. <3

Some stores here already broke the street date (and of course overcharge for it) but I'm not buying from them.

I will place an order at play.com and hopefully I'll get it by next monday (which will be when I'm done with getting the plat for GoW II :lol )

fixuis

Just finished it. No words can describe how epic this journey was and what a way to end it. holy shit :O Got the game on the 12th. My total playtime was 13.5 hours on god mode(normal). After playing god of war collection and this, I can only echo what I said in the other thread. This game is what the lord of the rings movies were to the film industry, simply epic. Throw in a dash of the hellboy series and you have a winner. Once you play this game, you'll know what I mean. The ultimate action adventure. The fantasy vibe I got from this one was far more then I got from 1 and 2. The gods themselves dare not deny this game.

It has to be the best looking game I've ever seen. Unbelievable stuff.

tirminyl

After watching some unboxing videos of the Ultimate edition, I decided it wasn't ultimate enough for me so I canceled it on Amazon and ordered the regular with release date shipping. I get the $10 off my next game and will therefore pick up the God of War Collection since I never did.

Hyphen

DihcarEM said:

Yeah, it's more like a booklet than a book. VERY disappointing.

anddo0

tirminyl said:
After watching some unboxing videos of the Ultimate edition, I decided it wasn't ultimate enough for me so I canceled it on Amazon and ordered the regular with release date shipping. I get the $10 off my next game and will therefore pick up the God of War Collection since I never did.

Yeah, I'm doing the same.. I'll move the money over to Red Dead Redemption. Good thing I saw that video.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
So, I wasn't going to be able to afford the game, but my GF ordered a copy for my birthday. She even placed it through my Amazon account so I'd get the $10 promo credit towards my next game. <3

She is a keeper.

vMaxx

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I've have finished the game and now on my second playthrough i dont have my weapons from the start and i dont have my health meter and etc upgraded.I recall remembering that to the two previous games you could start a new game having all your powers from the begining.Is there a way to do this to GOW 3?

rhino4evr

FYI..Gamefly Keep it price is $49.99..so if I decide to keep it, and apply my discount/coupons, I should get it for about $32.00...brand new.

Why more gamers don't just subscribe to gamefly totally baffles me.

Sadly, I will be out of town starting tomorrow. No GoW3 for me until Thursday night. Let's keep those spoilers covered people!!!

rhino4evr

vMaxx said:
PLEASE HELP ME!!! I've have finished the game and now on my second playthrough i dont have my weapons from the start and i dont have my health meter and etc upgraded.I recall rememberig that to the two previous games you could start a new game having all your powers from the beginig.Is there a way to do this to GOW 3?

I heard there is No "New Game+" in this game...

KAOz

Short bus special
vMaxx said:
PLEASE HELP ME!!! I've have finished the game and now on my second playthrough i dont have my weapons from the start and i dont have my health meter and etc upgraded.I recall remembering that to the two previous games you could start a new game having all your powers from the begining.Is there a way to do this to GOW 3?

Nope. Only GoW 2 had that. And nope, no New Game+ in there.

Also, MY COPY IS SHIPPING! Will have it early tomorrow! I love GAME.se simply for the fast shipping and the fact that I always get the game a day early.

Interfectum

Question... does God of War 3 recap what happened in the first two god of war games? I played the first one years ago and never got around to the second. I'll get the GoW Collection at some point but I just want to jump into 3.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Like others, my Amazon Ultimate Edition order is now being processed!! OMG!!

Being overnighted via Prime. Now I'm as happy as a little girl!

RavenFox

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
andherewego.gif

Seriously though, no. GoW III will possibly (and most likely) end up being the best game I've played since GoW II, and stand proud as a testament to what developers can do with the PS3 if they're just given the time and money to make it sing. But it's not much of a system seller, unlike GT5.

And my copy was shipped today :D
I would put a wait and see approach. Since this title has gotten some ridiculous media attention the likes of which I rarely see for a PS3 game. Unlikely yes, but not impossible right?

My ultimate edition also shipped from Amazon. There will be Chaos my GAF family.

Interfectum said:
Question... does God of War 3 recap what happened in the first two god of war games? I played the first one years ago and never got around to the second. I'll get the GoW Collection at some point but I just want to jump into 3.
It should as 3's meant to start literally where 2 ended, but you should really play 2 anyway it's much better than the first.

Top Bottom