• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Finished the game after a marathon session, took me around 12hrs on normal. Epic is too small a word to describe the game, its an amazing rollercoaster ride from the start to end. The finale or should I say the last 30mins of the game will fuckin blow everyone away. There are a couple of downers but really I this point I just want to enjoy the feeling than over analyze and find faults with it. And finally, the lighting engine, OH MY FUCKIN GAWD! The lighting is just insane, this coupled with the MLAA system they used gives some of the scene's a very CGI'ish look. Also major props to stig and the team for going with the ending, really gutsy move.

/bows

LowParry

Hrm. Hard or Normal mode. Hrmmmmmmmmmmmm. Well fuck it. I'm going Hard Mode with this. I want some challenge with something that will be probably my GOTY.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
nskinnear said:
Anyone going to a midnight release for this game? I'm going to call my GameStop now to see if they're having one.
Of course. This is the 3rd consecutive week my GS is having one with a game I've ordered every week. This release marks the 4th consecutive week with a new release! Next week is a breather week then GTA Episodes on the 30th! Haven't called to see if they got the UE yet but they didn't have it yet yesterday but my GC right down the road had theirs to cover pre-orders. I have yet to call them but until then I'm a little worried.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
quadrax1s said:
:lol :lol

Can't wait for this game!! I love GOW even though the story kinda sucks and Kratos is such a boring character for someone who's supposed to be a badass antihero.

I would have to totally disagree with that. The story is probably much better than most action games.

I've only beat the God of War 1 on normal the first time I've played it, after that GOW2 and all my replays were on hard. I tried (Very hard) but barely passed the first level/boss in both games, so I might do it some other time.

Denzar

Jim said:
Well, there are a few scenes where you'll definitely get stuck, and maybe for much longer than a few minutes. It was oh so satisfying to finish though. Normal feels so easy now.

My perception of the difficulties are tainted now, but Normal feels like a nice comfortable level of difficulty, as it should. Hard definitely kicks your ass now and then, and can get frustrating in particular scenes (3 or 4 stand out to me) until you develop some specific strategies.

Hmmm. I remember playing GoW II on normal for the first time, and it was too easy, but it made the game feel like one gigantic rush. I tried it on hard for a second playthrough and found that relatively easy too...

Extreme, or it's GoW II equivalent, kicked my ass though.

Peterthumpa

kaysee said:
Finished the game after a marathon session, took me around 12hrs on normal. Epic is too small a word to describe the game, its an amazing rollercoaster ride from the start to end. The finale or should I say the last 30mins of the game will fuckin blow everyone away. There are a couple of downers but really I this point I just want to enjoy the feeling than over analyze and find faults with it. And finally, the lighting engine, OH MY FUCKIN GAWD! The lighting is just insane, this coupled with the MLAA system they used gives some of the scene's a very CGI'ish look. Also major props to stig and the team for going with the ending, really gutsy move.

/bows
Is the MLAA technique really this impressive? I mean, 16xAA basically equals to no jaggies at all. Is that what we really see ingame?

I refuse to believe that my PS3 has such skillz. :lol

neojubei said:
I would have to totally disagree with that. The story is probably much better than most action games.

I'm with you. Not only is it better than most, but my having a thing for Greek mythology just makes it all the better... I mean, given the general overarching stories from greek mythology, it tends to fit in that style very well. And the "cameos"... like
ripping off Icarus's wings, or coming across the golden fleece, or any of it really
in the first two games... it just blows me away still. I don't think there's a 3D action game out there, other than the GOW series, that satisfies me with it's story.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
felipepl said:
Is the MLAA technique really this impressive? I mean, 16xAA basically equals to no jaggies at all. Is that what we really see ingame?

Your words make me giddy with anticipation. Goddamn do I want to see this game on my TV screen.

LiquidMetal14

felipepl said:

I believe this game goes even further than the MLAA The Sabeteur uses.They just know how to work the CELL. Essentially this is probably the most advanced form of AA consoles can pull off at the moment. Seems only the PS3 can do it to this level too. And upon further reading it seems only the PS3 can do this as the PS3 version of The Sabetuer uses that but 360 version doesn't.

kaysee said:

/bows

:(
i guess they are finally going to
kill kratos.

i have not played this game. this is just an assumption. i apologize that i didn't spoiler tag it from the beginning.

Peterthumpa

LiquidMetal14 said:
I believe this game goes even further than the MLAA The Sabeteur uses.They just know how to work the CELL. Essentially this is probably the most advanced form of AA consoles can pull off at the moment. Seems only the PS3 can do it to this level too. And upon further reading it seems only the PS3 can do this as the PS3 version of The Sabetuer uses that but 360 version doesn't.
Have you seem the game running? I'm eager to hear comments by some folks who played it already.

Dogenzaka

Banned
God of War noob here...(please don't hit me). How lost will I be if I jump right into part 3?

Please buy the God of War Collection first.

If you refuse to and just want to play the third game, though, your loss.
But here's what happens in GoW 1 - 2
God of War I:
Kratos, the main character, is a Spartan warrior who has led thousands of men into battle and victory over the course of his life, and has a wife and daughter. His wife and daughter wanted him to cease from his bloodlust as it was taking over him, but he didn't submit. One day, the Barbarians from the East challenged Kratos and his army and wiped out all of his men and nearly killed Kratos.

When Kratos was facing his demise, he prayed to the God of War, Ares, to save his life and destroy his enemies. If he did so, he would surrender the rest of his life to the service of the God of War. Ares came down, wiped out the Barbarians and their king, and so Kratos was now a slave of Olympus and to Ares.

Kratos pillaged, destroyed and murdered villages and cities in the name and glory of Ares. He also is the reason Atlas carries the earth on his shoulders, because Kratos imprisoned him there under the service of Olympus.

You learn that, Ares tricks Kratos into killing his wife and child by planting them inside a home he was told to invade. Ares believed that, with Kratos' emotional investments gone, there was no longer anything holding him back from full service and slavery to the God of War. The oracle that warned him not to invade the home, now punishes Kratos by forcing him to wear the ashes of his dead family on his skin, turning it white, and giving him the name "Ghost of Sparta". The memories of this event haunt Kratos for the rest of his life.

Anyway, one day, Athena, the Goddess of Wisdom tells Kratos that Olympus is growing aggravated with Ares' meaningless slaughter. He's become too powerhungry, and since the gods are forbidden from directly warring against each other, Athena asks Kratos to find Pandora's Box. That box will give a mortal the ability to kill a god, so Athena wants Kratos to use it to kill Ares, because he is senselessly attacking Athena's guardian city, Athens, Greece. She promises that Kratos' sins against the people of Greece and his family will be forgiven if he takes this quest.

Kratos goes on an epic journey to the Desert of Lost Souls to find Pandora's Box inside Pandora's Temple. He finds it, but is killed by Ares when he senses its liberation from its temple. Kratos goes to the Underworld, escapes by the mercy of Zeus, and intervenes as he uses Pandora's Box to become the size of a god.

Kratos kills Ares. Olympus forgives Kratos for his sins, but Kratos becomes infuriated when he learns that he misunderstood the gods, as well as the gods just being tricky bastards, that his memories wouldn't be erased. They would continue to haunt him for the rest of his life, regardless of his past being forgiven. No one could forget what he had done.

Kratos wanted to kill himself, but Athena intervened and said she couldn't allow it to happen. The God of War was dead, and Olympus had an empty throne. Kratos took up the title of the new God of War.

God of War II:
Kratos, the new God of War, has found a new home in the alliance with Sparta. They worship him as their god and he enjoys helping them defeat their foes as a mighty god. Life's pretty good it seems, except he is teeming with fury for the gods and how they deceived him into doing their Pandora quest in the last game without wiping out his painful memories. Kratos' only joy is destroying cities in the name of Sparta.

Athena tells Kratos that the gods are growing angry with Kratos' wreckless destruction, similar to why they grew angry with Ares.

When Sparta asks Kratos for help in Rhodes, Kratos ignores Athena and attends to the matter himself.

As he's trying to destroy Rhodes, Zeus comes in the form of an eagle and takes away a lot of Kratos' godly powers, and endows it upon the Colossus of Rhodes. The Colossus now comes alive and is trying to kill Kratos and the Spartans.

Kratos, still wielding some godly power, tracks down the colossus, when suddenly Zeus intervenes again. He offers Kratos the Blade of Olympus, the weapon that ended the Great War against the Titans. He tells Kratos to drain his godly powers into the sword so he can defeat the Colossus.

Kratos does as commanded, believing in Zeus' strange sincerity, and defeats the Colossus of Rhodes. Before its downfall, its hand crushes Kratos, and he realizes that he is now mortal. He has to retrieve the Blade of Olympus if he wants his powers back.

As he makes his way over, Zeus comes down and confronts Kratos. It's now apparent that it was a trick to get Kratos to discard his godly powers, and so that Zeus could kill him. Zeus kills Kratos with the Blade of Olympus, because Kratos has grown dangerous for the gods with his insolence and anger.

In the Underworld again, the Titan Gaia (the narrator throughout the series, as it is revealed) saves Kratos and says that he wasn't meant to die here. She and the other Titans hate Zeus for punishing and exiling them after the Great War. She tells Kratos to find the Sisters of Fate, the beings that control every living being's destiny and time, and find a way to return to the moment before Zeus killed him, so that he could kill Zeus instead.

Soooo...Kratos embarks on another epic quest to the Sisters of Fate to turn back time and get a second chance at his destiny.

He reaches the Island of the Fates, and Gaia explains why they hate Zeus. Basically, he was Kronos' son, and Kronos tried to eat all his sons in fear that they would rise up and conquer him. Zeus survived, though, escaping his consumption, and Gaia took care of him until he grew up and became a strong, young god. Zeus' anger against his father, Kronos', and the Titans, caused him to war against them and eventually defeat and punish them all. He attacked all the Titans, including Gaia, the one that raised him, for the sins of just one, Kronos.

So, now you know why Gaia likes you so much.

So after a long road, meeting various other people that want to reach the Fates to change their destinies, like the Barbarian king you killed in the first game, Icarus, Theseus, Perseus, etc., you find the Sisters of Fate. You also find a Spartan captain you met at the beginning of the game, who reveals to you that Zeus wiped out all of Sparta after he killed Kratos.

They tell you that they are the ones that allowed you to come this far. No matter, Kratos has an epic boss fight where he kills the Fates and traps them in a limbo between time and space.

There is a third sister, however, who is this big fatass worm who spins the threads of fate that control everyone's destiny. You eventually kill her, and take over her loom and mirrors to return to the point Zeus betrayed you.

Zeus is astonished that the Fates allowed you to proceed, but you just tell him that you killed them.

Kratos attacks Zeus with the Blade of Olympus, and nearly kills him. Just before the final blow, Athena jumps in front and Kratos accidentally kills her. In her dying breath, she tells him how if he kills Zeus, all of Olympus will die as well. Every god will deny Kratos. And she pleads to him not to kill Zeus, because Kratos is Zeus' son, and just like Zeus did many years ago, Kratos is continuing the cycle of vengeance against fathers. She dies, Kratos is pissed, and Zeus escapes to Mt. Olympus.

Kratos returns to the mirror and looms, and finds the past where Gaia and the Titans were about to be defeated in the Great War. He asks Gaia and the others to join him in the present where Zeus has retreated to Mt. Olympus.

With this, Kratos, and the Titans, climb Mt. Olympus and seek to kill Zeus and the other gods once and for all, in the name of vengeance.

God of War III:
???

Dogenzaka said:
Please buy the God of War Collection first.

If you refuse to and just want to play the third game, though, your loss.
But here's what happens in GoW 1 - 2
Dude, awesome recap! It even made some things clearer for myself, even though I've beaten both games twice. :lol

Smokey

kaysee said:

/bows

Hmm..

I wonder if this means what I think it means.

Rikyfree said:
Kos, omg I love ya bud, but you just pissed me off right here. Edit that shit.

He didn't spoil it did he? All he said was I guess they are going to do what he THINKS they are going to do...right?

that's what I got from it?

Jim

nskinnear said:
Hard. Apparently, that's what is recommended for GOW veterans.

If you've beaten 1 or 2 on Hard/Very Hard, then definitely go for Hard. Normal would be a step down and too easy in that case. Like the rest of the series, III offers to let you drop down to "Easy Mode" if you completely suck anyway :lol

For Trophy whores... there is no specific Trophy for beating it on Normal (just a generic Beat the Game one), but there is one for beating it on Hard.

Also, I'd kinda edit that ending comment even though it's not really a spoiler. Might give people the right/wrong impression.

LiquidMetal14

Smokey said:
Hmm..

I wonder if this means what I think it means.

He didn't spoil it did he? All he said was I guess they are going to what he THINKS they are going to do...

that's what I got from it?
The comment of
killing Kratos
is definitely spoiler worthy. NO ONE wants to know that. I think I would rather find out if it's gong to happen on my own. What if the person playing it is playing the series for the first time?

felipepl said:
I wish you a slow and painful death. :lol
I'm not talking about it but a local manager has been playing it. Only watched the beginning. I'm pretty hyped.

Smokey

LiquidMetal14 said:
The comoment of
killing Kratos
is definitely spoiler worthy. NO ONE wants to know that. I think I would rather find out if it's gong to happen on my own. What if the person playing it is playing the series for the first time?

I' not talking about it but a local manager has been playing it. Only watched the beginning. I'm pretty hyped.

Well I've played the games so I guess I didn't find it that big of a deal and I sort of took it as him just wondering out loud... but if he really DID spoil it then that's fucking lame.

I kind of assumed he was joking especially since a few recent big games like Halo 3 and MGS4
end by making you think that the hero dies
but haven't you effectively confirmed what he said was actually a spoiler?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, when you read the comment that that the team "did a really gutsy move with the ending", what else are you going to think? I don't know why any of you are angry about Kos Lufta's speculation, when it's the original comment that should be what pisses you off.

LiquidMetal14

Combichristoffersen said:
!MAJOR SPOILER!

Kratos commits suicide at the end of the game.
Joke? I can't even tell anymore. Why post this shit in that manner? I'm getting the game tonight but am gonna bail out of this thread if this kind of crap keeps getting posted.

Rikyfree said:
Kos, omg I love ya bud, but you just pissed me off right here. Edit that shit.

I haven't played the game. That is just and assumption I made from what people have been saying.

It is the same thing people said when Nathan Hale got shot in the face.

LiquidMetal14

Kos Luftar said:
I haven't played the game. That is just and assumption I made from what people have been saying.

It is the same thing people said when Nathan Hale got shot in the face.
Which is all going into the spoiler talk region. Your comment is the first I've heard of the theory. And the comment you quoted about the "gutsy move". No one one implications or hints or anything that will give any story or potential spoilers away. This is the main reason I even commented. Then the followup posted that he
kills himself
. Joking or not this has no place since I read it thinking it was not a spoiler. But the thing is it's hard to tell over the internets!

solarus

Aaaagh the wait is killing me, for anyone who ordered on play.com it now says 'in stock and shipping with 24 hours' :O Hopefully they'll dispatch today or tomorrow, might receive it early :D

LiquidMetal14

No joke. I watched the ending on YouTube. That's what happens.

More explicit version, do not read unless you want to spoil the ending:

Kratos uses the Blade of Olympus to commit suicide while Athena's ghost/spirit/whatever watches in horror
BS. You should have never posted that here when THE GAME ISN'T OUT YET!

Jim

No joke. I watched the ending on YouTube. That's what happens.

More explicit version, do not read unless you want to spoil the ending. MAJOR SPOILERAMA:

Ok, enough talk of the ending. BTW, you obviously haven't seen the whole thing. Let's just leave it at that.

Please edit that stuff out, especially if you didn't play the game.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I need to train my fingers not to compulsively highlight every black bar I see on accident. Lol.

I think I'm getting off the internet until tomorrow night. Bye lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm not highlighting that Combichristoffersen, but you should know the last guy that posted blacked out game ending spoilers in the Heavy Rain thread before the game was out was permabanned.

And rightfully so. Who the hell wants to know that NOW?

edit: I'm outta this thread. Cyall when I beat it!

Hyphen

gibration said:
What difficulty is everybody going to play on?
I can't decide between normal or hard. Someone pick for me!

I've ordered the EU Ultimate Trilogy, and I plan on playing through GoW I & II on easy, then playing GoW III on hard.

Top Bottom