• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

TheFatOne

Lince said:
so is that you showing your half-naked body in your profile pic? awful, put me off of watching the review.

29zbng8.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How did they do this? What the fuck. It looks like CG. It is impeccable. I am blown away. All other games have been shat on from great height. Like even uncharted 2 is crying in the corner. I am so blown away I was blown back to where I was previously blown from.

The Chef

Y2Kev said:
How did they do this? What the fuck. It looks like CG. It is impeccable. I am blown away. All other games have been shat on from great height. Like even uncharted 2 is crying in the corner. I am so blown away I was blown back to where I was previously blown from.

Dont tease me!!!!! 2 hours left...

Just got back from a Best Buy nearby that was supposed to have a midnight launch...FAIL. The store was closed and I came back empty-handed. AND I still have to work at 8:30 tomorrow morning. Very disappointing.

MPW

i already know the ending due to jackasses on teh internets (lesson learned)

is it still worth playing?

some people have nothing better to do than ruin it for the rest :(

The Chef

MPW said:

I havent played it yet but even if I knew the ending there is no way I would pass up this gaming experience.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Y2Kev said:
your probably are at
hades realm
its the best looking part of the game unfortunately visual quality is not consist in god of war 3 there are some meh looking parts in it for that reason i put u2 ahead of gow3 when it comes to garfix

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MPW said:

Is this a serious question? The GOW's story is better than other games in the genre, but hardly THE reason to play the games.

Jtrizzy

Just finished the first boss fight. Epic to say the least. The graphics are stunning throughout, and looks like CG at times.

TheDayday

Neo Member
Lince said:
so is that you showing your half-naked body in your profile pic? awful, put me off of watching the review.

LMAO! Oh wow, that profile pic is like 2 years old. I didn't even realize I still had it up. I guess... thanks for noticing. I changed it just for you GP! :p Seriously, game is super good though! Pics and videos don't do it justice.

TheDayday said:
LMAO! Oh wow, that profile pic is like 2 years old. I didn't even realize I still had it up. I guess... thanks for noticing. I changed it just for you GP! :p Seriously, game is super good though! Pics and videos don't do it justice.

Does the demo?

mujun said:
-PXG- said:
It got a Z rating. Doubt it's censored.
Awesome, thanks for that. Something to with all the free time I'll have during my holidays :D

Actually Z rated games are still being censored, Saint's Row 2 for example. And while I do not have confirmation, I've heard the Jp version of GOW3 will be different from the US version. The Helios decapitation scene for example has the camera showing only a close-up of Kratos' face. Also, similar to Dante's Inferno (and GOW1 and 2), all nudity will be removed as well.

reKon

Banned
expecting to see a thread of holy shits tomorrow. Don't disappoint me gaf =]

I don't get to play mine until after class and work =[

Dogenzaka

Banned
I was a small fan of GameCrazy until tonight. I will never shop at my local GameCrazy again.

I am absolutely teeming with rage right now, I don't even feel like playing my copy of God of War 3. I'm just annoyed because I feel like I was lied to and like I wasted my time.

5 days ago, I went to the store to see if I could still pre-order God of War 3. The two employees there told me no, that they were out of pre-order requests, but that they ordered extra pre-order copies and that if I went to the midnight launch, I would surely score a copy of the game. I asked about the GameCrazy exclusive costume, if I would get that as well. They told me sure, since they have a bunch of extras.

They told me the midnight launch event would be fun, that they would have the game playable and on display for customers, and that they have more pre-orders for this PS3 game than any other and expect a big turnout at the midnight launch. They told me to show up around 10pm which is when it would start.

Well, I'm in charge of my house for the week while my parents are out of town. I'm also in charge of my grandmother, who has a terrible cold, and I feel terrible leaving her by herself. But I figured, what the heck, it's just a short midnight launch. I'll get my game and get out.

So I head over at 10pm.

I considered going somewhere else or just waiting until the morning, but I was worried that everywhere else would either be sold out for pre-orders, or I wouldn't get any exclusive bonus content. So GameCrazy was the best stop, of course.

I could tell that the manager was the employee behind the desk (because I applied to that GC before and never got a call back, and that was the guy in charge). He had a snooty, annoying attitude.

He told me that if I stuck around, I should be able to score a copy. So I stuck around.

I brought my copy of Pokemon and sat in a chair while he played Street Fighter IV on his shitty homemade arcade.

Any festivities? No. God of War 3 playable? No.

I sat in a chair and played Pokemon for 2 hours.

In fact, no one showed up until 11:50pm. I was there for almost 2 fucking hours by myself because they told me that I should show up because of their "big turn out".

I read a poster on the wall that said if you showed up to the midnight event, you would get an exclusive GameCrazy God of War 3 midnight launch poster for free just for showing up.

In the middle of my waiting, he reveals to me that they do not have ANY extra pre-order copies. They never ordered any extra copies, or codes, or anything, and he has no idea why I was told that that was the case. He told me if I stuck around, he would sell me someone else's pre-order copy.

At this point, I've gotten very annoyed. I feel morally conflicted buying someone else's copy, but I wanted the GC costume since I already had the GameStop code, and I was sure that if I went to one of the more popular stores like Best Buy or GameStop at 11:55pm with no pre-order, I wouldn't be in luck to score the game. I hate the fact that the store is actually willing to sell a pre-order copy. What does that say about my pre-orders at that store? How is it even a pre-order, then?

So anyway, finally midnight arrives, and like 5 people show up. TOPS.

(One of them actually was asking about copying music to the PS3. The stupid ass manager said that you couldn't do it on PS3, when I clarified to the customer and told him you indeed could. The employee confessed he "didn't have a PS3, so he didn't know". Well, dumbass, why did you tell him it wasn't possible?)

I pay for my game, and the employee refuses to give me a costume code because I didn't pre-order. Really? I waited at your store for 2 hours to pay you $60 and you can't spare me a stupid $5 code for someone who didn't even show up to pick up his game? He also reveals to everyone that he never got any posters, so you're shit out of luck if you want them.

He then proceeds spending the next 5 minutes trying to convince me to pre-order something after this stupid mess he made of my evening. He wouldn't take no for an answer.

Are you fucking joking? Why would I want to waste my time with your store again, when your employees tell me different things everytime I ask, and you just had the stupidest, lamest midnight launch I've ever had the displeasure of going to in my life.

I walked out of there having wasted 2 hours of my life and gotten the same stuff I could have gotten just walking into Wal-mart and buying it with less hassle.

Long story short:
-I was told that I could pick up the game, the costume, and attend a fun midnight launch where we play God of War 3 as we wait for midnight to approach, and get a free poster for doing so.
-I end up buying my game, getting no poster, no costume, and wasting my time as well as getting pestered to pre-order and having to take care of this manager's customers because of his incompetence.

Screw you, GameCrazy.

You are not getting my money again.

I probably sound like a drama queen, but that store is completely incompetent if they treat their customers like that and give them false information willy-nilly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok 1 hour in to the point where you get your first
trophy
. The graphics have to be mentioned, MOTHER OF GOD. This is really the new benchmark in console and gives any PC a run for it's money. Staggering scale and unbefuckinglievable detail. TTP, there is no tearing that I've noticed. Framrate is WAY smoother than I would have imagined consider the EPICNESS that is happening. The
Leviathan
, the water effects and shit are beyond words. The experience and raw visceral nature of the game smacks you right in the face. HOLY SHIT.

Just played the first 10 minutes because I have to sleep but HOLY SHIT!!! I was on blackout and I cannot believe what's happening. Dammmmn.

PS3? Check. GOW 3? Check. Controllers? FUUUUUUUUUUUUU...I left them in my luggage and they won't arrive til Thursday..guess i'm buying a new controller today. I've waited 3 years, I AM NOT WAITING ANY LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!

rhino4evr

:lol @ leaving sick grandma to go to the gow3 launch.

Question: if there was no one there why would you stay? Also most midnight launches are incredibly lame, not sure what you were expecting

Weenerz

Banned
I worked our midnight launch, we truly expected a big turnout since we had 150 preorders, we had 4(four) people there till 11:50, then like 30 motherfuckers showed up, WTF!

reKon

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
I was a small fan of GameCrazy until tonight. I will never shop at my local GameCrazy again.

I am absolutely teeming with rage right now, I don't even feel like playing my copy of God of War 3. I'm just annoyed because I feel like I was lied to and like I wasted my time.

5 days ago, I went to the store to see if I could still pre-order God of War 3. The two employees there told me no, that they were out of pre-order requests, but that they ordered extra pre-order copies and that if I went to the midnight launch, I would surely score a copy of the game. I asked about the GameCrazy exclusive costume, if I would get that as well. They told me sure, since they have a bunch of extras.

They told me the midnight launch event would be fun, that they would have the game playable and on display for customers, and that they have more pre-orders for this PS3 game than any other and expect a big turnout at the midnight launch. They told me to show up around 10pm which is when it would start.

Well, I'm in charge of my house for the week while my parents are out of town. I'm also in charge of my grandmother, who has a terrible cold, and I feel terrible leaving her by herself. But I figured, what the heck, it's just a short midnight launch. I'll get my game and get out.

So I head over at 10pm.

I considered going somewhere else or just waiting until the morning, but I was worried that everywhere else would either be sold out for pre-orders, or I wouldn't get any exclusive bonus content. So GameCrazy was the best stop, of course.

I could tell that the manager was the employee behind the desk (because I applied to that GC before and never got a call back, and that was the guy in charge). He had a snooty, annoying attitude.

He told me that if I stuck around, I should be able to score a copy. So I stuck around.

I brought my copy of Pokemon and sat in a chair while he played Street Fighter IV on his shitty homemade arcade.

Any festivities? No. God of War 3 playable? No.

I sat in a chair and played Pokemon for 2 hours.

In fact, no one showed up until 11:50pm. I was there for almost 2 fucking hours by myself because they told me that I should show up because of their "big turn out".

I read a poster on the wall that said if you showed up to the midnight event, you would get an exclusive GameCrazy God of War 3 midnight launch poster for free just for showing up.

In the middle of my waiting, he reveals to me that they do not have ANY extra pre-order copies. They never ordered any extra copies, or codes, or anything, and he has no idea why I was told that that was the case. He told me if I stuck around, he would sell me someone else's pre-order copy.

At this point, I've gotten very annoyed. I feel morally conflicted buying someone else's copy, but I wanted the GC costume since I already had the GameStop code, and I was sure that if I went to one of the more popular stores like Best Buy or GameStop at 11:55pm with no pre-order, I wouldn't be in luck to score the game. I hate the fact that the store is actually willing to sell a pre-order copy. What does that say about my pre-orders at that store? How is it even a pre-order, then?

So anyway, finally midnight arrives, and like 5 people show up. TOPS.

(One of them actually was asking about copying music to the PS3. The stupid ass manager said that you couldn't do it on PS3, when I clarified to the customer and told him you indeed could. The employee confessed he "didn't have a PS3, so he didn't know". Well, dumbass, why did you tell him it wasn't possible?)

I pay for my game, and the employee refuses to give me a costume code because I didn't pre-order. Really? I waited at your store for 2 hours to pay you $60 and you can't spare me a stupid $5 code for someone who didn't even show up to pick up his game? He also reveals to everyone that he never got any posters, so you're shit out of luck if you want them.

He then proceeds spending the next 5 minutes trying to convince me to pre-order something after this stupid mess he made of my evening. He wouldn't take no for an answer.

Are you fucking joking? Why would I want to waste my time with your store again, when your employees tell me different things everytime I ask, and you just had the stupidest, lamest midnight launch I've ever had the displeasure of going to in my life.

I walked out of there having wasted 2 hours of my life and gotten the same stuff I could have gotten just walking into Wal-mart and buying it with less hassle.

Long story short:
-I was told that I could pick up the game, the costume, and attend a fun midnight launch where we play God of War 3 as we wait for midnight to approach, and get a free poster for doing so.
-I end up buying my game, getting no poster, no costume, and wasting my time as well as getting pestered to pre-order and having to take care of this manager's customers because of his incompetence.

Screw you, GameCrazy.

You are not getting my money again.

I probably sound like a drama queen, but that store is completely incompetent if they treat their customers like that and give them false information willy-nilly.

Wow, sorry about your troubles man. You gotta stick with that release-day Amazon if you can wait a little.

reKon

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Ok 1 hour in to the point where you get your first
trophy
. The graphics have to be mentioned, MOTHER OF GOD. This is really the new benchmark in console and gives any PC a run for it's money. Staggering scale and unbefuckinglievable detail. TTP, there is no tearing that I've noticed. Framrate is WAY smoother than I would have imagined consider the EPICNESS that is happening. The
Leviathan
, the water effects and shit are beyond words. The experience and raw visceral nature of the game smacks you right in the face. HOLY SHIT.

Scythesurge said:
Just played the first 10 minutes because I have to sleep but HOLY SHIT!!! I was on blackout and I cannot believe what's happening. Dammmmn.

First ones

I don't think I'll sleep until this game is beaten. Opening scene pretty much destroys both game's amazing scenes in the first 30 seconds. Holy shit.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Mutagenic said:
Sucks to hear about all that. I would have walked out of there without giving them a sale, but I understand you wanting a copy after the wait.

I would have if it wasn't for the fact that I wasn't sure if I'd get a copy anywhere else...and I didn't want to do much driving at midnight lol.

Well I'm playing the game now and my tears are drying up quickly thanks to Kratos' beautiful blades.

But man ffffffff

-PXG-

Saint Ajola said:
Actually Z rated games are still being censored, Saint's Row 2 for example. And while I do not have confirmation, I've heard the Jp version of GOW3 will be different from the US version. The Helios decapitation scene for example has the camera showing only a close-up of Kratos' face. Also, similar to Dante's Inferno (and GOW1 and 2), all nudity will be removed as well.

WAT!!??!

That's bullshit. Good thing I'm not in Japan.

SlickVic

Dogenzaka said:
I would have if it wasn't for the fact that I wasn't sure if I'd get a copy anywhere else...and I didn't want to do much driving at midnight lol.

Well I'm playing the game now and my tears are drying up quickly thanks to Kratos' beautiful blades.

But man ffffffff

Well if you have to have it at midnight, then you gotta do what you gotta do. But you basically described why I don't go into stores to buy new games. I see my friends go into Gamestop to preorder for the bonuses, go there to pick it up on release day, and the employee just casually says "oh we ran out of preorder bonuses, nothing we can do about it". That's why I just stick to Amazon. No sales tax, usually a little discount on top of that, and if there is a preorder bonus, it always gets emailed to me.

SlickVic said:
Well if you have to have it at midnight, then you gotta do what you gotta do. But you basically described why I don't go into stores to buy new games. I see my friends go into Gamestop to preorder for the bonuses, go there to pick it up on release day, and the employee just casually says "oh we ran out of preorder bonuses, nothing we can do about it". That's why I just stick to Amazon. No sales tax, usually a little discount on top of that, and if there is a preorder bonus, it always gets emailed to me.

You need to learn how to shop at a good Gamestop ;) I hate when other crappy stores give ones like ours a bad name >=|

deadatom said:
heh they spent 40 million on the game.

And we spent $100.

LiquidMetal14

Kagari said:
So uh...
how the heck do I do the first puzzle in Hades with the Hermes vent thing...
kick the portable blower thing that you kick down from the higher terrace area. Take that to the end where the 3 headed beast is. he will make it so it blows hot air. Go back and step on that chandeleer thing next to the dude entrapped to raise the gate that holds the lever. The rest takes care of itself.

SlickVic

Square Triangle said:
You need to learn how to shop at a good Gamestop ;) I hate when other crappy stores give ones like ours a bad name >=|

And we spent $100.

Gamestop is definitely a store where YMMV depending where you live. I don't know of any good ones here but where I used to live they were decent. Of course with all the discounts/credits Amazon throws around, just haven't seen much reason to shop anywhere else.

LiquidMetal14

The visuals, all the screenshots you've seen are not bullshots. This MLAA really makes the game look peerless. Even if some screens are blurry, it is due to the motion blur. Things look unbelievable in motion. The screens of Kratos fighting the enemies in
Hades
are direct feed. Everything looks better than the screens even look. Amazing.

TheDayday

Neo Member
samus4ever said:
Does the demo?

If you're going to decide whether to purchase this game or not based on the demo from E3 2009... you're INSANE!!! The first 20 minutes of the game alone will make you wet your pants and probably even brownie up your undies.

So the answer to your question is... NO, the demo doesn't do it justice either. Seriously, it's effin' good from start to finish.

Dogenzaka said:

But man ffffffff
Wow dude. That manager sounded like a total jerk. Maybe he's pissed because he won't get to play GoW3 since he doesn't own a PS3 (his words) :lol

SlickVic said:
Gamestop is definitely a store where YMMV depending where you live. I don't know of any good ones here but where I used to live they were decent. Of course with all the discounts/credits Amazon throws around, just haven't seen much reason to shop anywhere else.

I agree completely, and I've bought a lot from Amazon as well. Sometimes what they offer is just too good to pass up =)

Top Bottom