• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

SlickVic

rhino4evr said:
So the soundtrack isn't even on a cd?
:lol

The only thing you physically get with the Pandora's Box (besides the game of course), is some cheap flipstyle artbook. No Blu-Ray for the documentary, no CD with some fancy cover for the soundtrack, no special CE case/cover for the game, no big book for the art. Overall, the package is rather underwhelming for $100.

ultron87

About 2 hours in.

First boss fight was awesome. Though I'm kind of afraid that that they once again put the best boss at the very beginning, just like in the last two games.

Amazingly gorgeous game, but everyone knows that already.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Smokey said:
What is MLAA?
I'm sure someone will be more comprehensinve but essentially this is an AA technique that the PS3 can do using the SPU's on the CELL. Someone mentioned that it essentially replicates the look of 16xAA. This was used in the PS3 version of The Sabeteur. Stig or one of the GoW3 staffers mentioned that GoW3 takes it even further than what The Sabeteur did. These guys programmed their asses off, you will be floored.

rhino4evr

Square Triangle said:
Yeah it's a pretty weak ass collector's edition. But it's extremely limited and I'm a sucker for God of War stuff so I couldn't say no.
No excuse for this, if they are charging that much they should at least make the effort to do something of value. It may be limited now but in a few months i'm sure you will see plenty of used copies for sale.

desertdroog

I also waited too long to order the CE version from gamestop.

So I just ordered mine off of Amazon.

If anyone else wants/needs to do the same.

Magnus

ultron87 said:
About 2 hours in.

First boss fight was awesome. Though I'm kind of afraid that that they once again put the best boss at the very beginning, just like in the last two games.

My vote is that they did. The rest are still absolutely awesome and stunning experiences. I know many have disagreed with me already though and specify the following fight as being the most impressive:

Cronos -- yeah, he's bigger than Gaia and Poseidon...but man, the insane acrobatics, water effects, music and thrill of not knowing what exactly you're fighting for five minutes at the start of the game are fucking amazing. Cronos was kind of bizarrely boring by comparison! :lol

I just played the last hour of the game again for kicks too, and to experiment with something.

ENDING:
I decided to punch Zeus for like, ten minutes, mashing the O button while watching TV on another input. :lol I must have hit the button a few thousand times. No surprise trophy. :lol

LiquidMetal14 said:
The visuals, all the screenshots you've seen are not bullshots. This MLAA really makes the game look peerless. Even if some screens are blurry, it is due to the motion blur. Things look unbelievable in motion. The screens of Kratos fighting the enemies in
Hades
are direct feed. Everything looks better than the screens even look. Amazing.

From the sound of things, it must look MUCH better than the E3 demo (which looked good, but wasn't mind blowing). Is that true?

Magnus

professor_t said:
From the sound of things, it must look MUCH better than the E3 demo (which looked good, but wasn't mind blowing). Is that true?

Yes.

edit- actually, I don't know about 'MUCH'. It's improved for sure though.

rhino4evr said:
No excuse for this, if they are charging that much they should at least make the effort to do something of value. It may be limited now but in a few months i'm sure you will see plenty of used copies for sale.

Huh? The standard and collector's actual game is the same.

Remf

HOLY SHEEP SHIT!!! Now that's what you call an intro and the graghics are impeccable from top to bottom. **SALUTES SSM** :D :D :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
professor_t said:
I also thought the demo looked alright, nothing too astounding.

This game looks jaw droppingly unbelievable (first ten minutes so far).

If a review site you frequent doesn't give this game a 10 for graphics, don't know that site no mo'.

NeoUltima

Still not even shipped yet...UPS stops delivering at 7pm, so that gives them 14.5 hours to ship it out and get it to me...we'll see about that. Prior experience has shown I am nowhere near Amazon's distribution centers either. :/

Release Delivery huh...we'll see.

Jtrizzy

I'm stuck...it's early in the game
In Hades where you are in the room with some kind of beast behind a cage and the guy (forgot who) is trapped behind a thicket. I pushed the flammable thing down and the beast lit it on fire for me.

ultron87

Jtrizzy said:
I'm stuck...it's early in the game
In Hades where you are in the room with some kind of beast behind a cage and the guy (forgot who) is trapped behind a thicket. I pushed the flammable thing down and the beast lit it on fire for me.

Jump on the platform above the guys cage so that it raises the gate above the cerberus. Quickly run over and Icarus Wings over the updraft created by the burning thing. Use it to fly up to the slowly closing gate and pull the switch. You'll need to the have the burning thing in the right place.

noobie

Banned
In line for GoW3 in Cali. The crowd for this game is so completely different from the crowd at the FF release.

How big is the crowd.. were u FF launch.? which crowd is bigger.?

Best looking game I have ever seen. I have no clue how they pulled this off. There is no need at all for a new console gen anytime soon.

Amazing so far but normal is way too easy. I think I will start over again tomorrow on hard, hey I get to play the beginning again. :D

SlickVic said:
The only thing you physically get with the Pandora's Box (besides the game of course), is some cheap flipstyle artbook. No Blu-Ray for the documentary, no CD with some fancy cover for the soundtrack, no special CE case/cover for the game, no big book for the art. Overall, the package is rather underwhelming for $100.

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed myself. To top it off though the code I received for the soundtrack doesn't work. Right below the code are the conditions which basically states I'm screwed. Fuck. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I am just fucking terrible at this game. I'm towards the end of the first boss and it's already telling me to go on easy mode. I'm usually good at games but this is pathetic.

Hades
Just beat Hades! HOLY SHIT THIS IS WAY FUCKING AWESOME!!!!! I loved every detail! Including the pealing flesh and how his face looks like when his helmet is off! Also to those who are fighting him or get to fight him Swim down in the river and grab his helmet

Also does anyone has a spare phantom of chaos code? I tried to redeem mine and it doesnt work!!!

ultron87

@Snuggler

I think the first boss is kind of tough if you haven't played a game like this in awhile. He has a lot of fairly deadly attacks (at least on hard) that are not trivial to dodge. Feels kind of similar to the Colossus in the last game. I recall having a decent amount of trouble on that as well.

Beginning Spoilers:
Where did Kratos get the magic cyclone attack he starts the game with? I don't remember anything like that in the last game.

Banned
noobie said:
How big is the crowd.. were u FF launch.? which crowd is bigger.?
They were about 40-60 people at the FF Launch and 27 at the GoW launch. At the FF launch people were standing around politely talking about their favorite FF games for 2 hours.

Here, there was a GoW trivia game. Free food/water, free giveaways and a guy dressed like Kratos.

I would be still playing this if it weren't for the fact that my PS3 controller needed to charge and I don't have 20ft USB cable. ZEEEUUSS! YOU ATTEMPT TO THWART MY REVENGE!

Slight beginning spoilers
I still can't get over that opening. Can you say PoseidOWNED!

SlickVic

Choke on the Magic said:
Yeah I'm a bit disappointed myself. To top it off though the code I received for the soundtrack doesn't work. Right below the code are the conditions which basically states I'm screwed. Fuck. :(

Oof that really sucks man. Reminds me of my experience with GoW1 which also came with an offer to download the soundtrack. Followed their instruction and it just wouldn't work. Remember spending a few hours trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I'm about 2 and a half hours in....
(just got to the 3 trials in Hades thing)

The graphics are ridiculous. Like omg. Even better than I thought.

SlickVic said:

That means wasted money for me

KillerAJD

Just got back from Gamestop. Ended up only getting the regular edition of the game, and the clerks said they never received the pre-order posters. First midnight launch I've ever done, and they did a little trivia session. The prizes? In store advertising posters/boxes/Kratos mask/etc. I ended up with two posters :D The larger one is double sided as well. The question was, "What studio developed the God of War series?"

105d2z8.jpg

zv8ql2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I might try and get some clearer ones tomorrow. For now, off to play the game!

Dogenzaka

Banned
Hard Mode is indeed HARD.
It's been 2 and a half hours and I feel like I'm not even past what should be the first hour of the game. I had to retry so many times already :(

Dogenzaka

Banned
KillerAJD said:
Just got back from Gamestop. Ended up only getting the regular edition of the game, and the clerks said they never received the pre-order posters. First midnight launch I've ever done, and they did a little trivia session. The prizes? In store advertising posters/boxes/Kratos mask/etc. I ended up with two posters :D The larger one is double sided as well. The question was, "What studio developed the God of War series?"

105d2z8.jpg

zv8ql2.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I might try and get some clearer ones tomorrow. For now, off to play the game!

I should have just gone to GameStop :(

Were you the only one that could answer the question? That's hilarious.
It's like on the box and everything.

Concept17

Picked it up at bestbuy at midnight...first time I've done that for a game. Sure glad I did. Just over an hour in and its unbelievable. I'm more blown away by just how good it looks.

Jaffe's comment a few months back about it being a "painting come to life" or w/e. He was right.

Weenerz

Banned
Just
got the bow and decided that I want to take a break till I can sleep some before I continue enjoying the game
, but this is damn hard to do, as I feel like not sleeping till I complete.

It's my birthday today. Pre-ordered a long time ago. Unfortunately it's for sale tomorrow. I can't wait to fire this baby up. I have almost been on a total media black out since before the reviews.

Normally I only game during the night, lights off, candles on and the surround fired up (just finished Heavy Rain yesterday). I don't think I can wait most of tomorrow though.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
OK, the thread is being filled with spoilers and it's hard for me to resist, so time to leave this thread.

10r26bp.jpg

I'll be back when I finished the game.

Jtrizzy

how can the graphics look so good? I do wish the slow walk animation was a little less sensitive, only so I can enjoy the scenery...but it's never been that way so whatever.

duffey

Just put about 3 hours in and holy fuck. I had a friend who stopped by and we were both in awe at what we were seeing. It also helps that the game is incredibly enjoyable so far. Had to stop earlier as I didn't wanna beat the game in one sitting but oh my god so awesome.

Also I really appreciate being able to scale the screen to fit my display. Not enough games do that.

Top Bottom