• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Game is awesome, pacing feels just right, I love platforming and just soaking up the environments. Image quality is amazing, during the QTE moments with the depth of field filter, the game looks like CG. Haters can hate, I'm having a blast.

LowParry

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm floored. Seriously floored right now with those comment. I completely get the FFXIII hate and can agree with some of it but this...this....this!? Hahahahahaha! God of War 2.5. Hahahahaha!

Anyone had any low sound in this game? I got a promo copy and tried it yesterday but the sound is very low on it. I have to turn it up a few notches to be normal.

Had me worried about my game when it comes. Everyone's seem ok?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
SACRAMENTO, CA, US 03/16/2010 7:04 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
03/16/2010 5:55 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
WEST SACRAMENTO, CA, US 03/16/2010 5:14 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/16/2010 1:21 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
SPARKS, NV, US 03/15/2010 10:09 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/15/2010 8:28 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
RENO, NV, US 03/15/2010 6:44 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/15/2010 5:14 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 03/15/2010 8:04 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Damnit get here quicker! Probably wont get till 5pm when UPS normally ships to my house. GAF why didnt I just preorder at gamestop :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Katana_Strikes said:
Anyone had any low sound in this game? I got a promo copy and tried it yesterday but the sound is very low on it. I have to turn it up a few notches to be normal.

It was the same for me. This game is much quieter than others at my usual TV volume. Kind of funny considering the GoW Collection is way louder than my other games.

RoboPlato said:
It was the same for me. This game is much quieter than others at my usual TV volume. Kind of funny considering the GoW Collection is way louder than my other games.

Ah crap! Retail game as well?

Man, I hope they fix this shit!

-PXG-

Ezahn said:
How does it compare to Bayonetta?

I'd expect the combat system to be less exquisite and complex but the overall impact to hit with more punch, so to say. ^^

Am I far from truth?

Okay, I just want to get something off my chest...

Besides Nintendo and Capcom, I'm really disappointed with Japan so-far this gen. They've been on a downward spiral of mediocrity since the beginning of this console generation. They REALLY fell off the ball. They're just doing the same old shit they did last generation and the one before that. Western devs have really stepped it up over the last few years.

I think this game pretty much seals the deal. Bayonetta, DMC and Ninja Gaiden are good, but God of War III shits all of over them. GoW III is a paradigm of how Western games are now becoming superior over Japanese games overall. Some may say it's a matter of taste, but compare Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon Age and Mass Effect to, say, FF, Tales, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter or SMT.

IMO, Western devs are making more of an effort to push the envelope and innovate. I'm not necessarily saying I dislike Japanese games and think they're crap. I just think they're not as good as they could be. Their standards have definitely taken a significant drop. I don't want anyone to fail or anyone to be better than the other. I just want Japan to wake the fuck up.

Anyway, this game kicks ass. It's everything a video game should be. It's cool, it's fun, it evokes emotion and it's memorable. Few games these days do that. Glad to see a developer who "gets it".

/rant

Synless

Animal said:
I am getting my ass owned on hard mode.
I only got to play it for an hour or so, but one thing that struck me is the fact I kept dying. I normally don't die often but something about hard mode is kicking my ass.

Zero Hero said:
Got mine on lunch. Now only 3 hours til work is over. :/
We can make it. We gotta hold on to what we got. Doesn't make a difference if we make it or not. Wooo we're halfway there, woooo living on a prayer. Take my hand, we'll make it I swear!

LowParry

Katana_Strikes said:

My PS3 needs a higher volume over my 360. Both are HDMI hooked up so no idea why the sound levels are different. As far as GoW3 goes, it carries the same volume of other games I play. I'm sporting a 5.1 system so I put the sound setting to that. It's defaulted to 7.1 so I can't say for sure if that is much of any sound difference.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone else get a misprinted manual? One of the pages in mine is printed on paper almost double the size of the rest of the manual and that page is folded over and stapled closed so it wouldn't pop out. :lol

Synless

-PXG- said:

Besides Nintendo and Capcom, I'm really disappointed with Japan so-far this gen. They've been on a downward spiral of mediocrity since the beginning of this console generation. They REALLY fell off the ball. They're just doing the same old shit they did last generation and the one before that. Western devs have really stepped it up over the last few years.

I think this game pretty much seals the deal. Bayonetta, DMC and Ninja Gaiden are good, but God of War III shits all of over them, and pretty much every other all Japanese games. Some may say it's a matter of taste, but compare Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon Age and Mass Effect to, say, FF, Tales, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter or SMT.

IMO, Western devs are making more of an effort to push the envelope and innovate. I'm not neccessarily saying I dislike Japanese games and think they're crap. I just think they're not as good as they could be. Their standards have definitely taken a significant drop.

Anyway, this game kicks ass. It's everything a video game should be. It's cool, it's fun, it evokes emotion and it's memorable. Few games these days do that. Glad to see a developer who "gets it".
How dare you compare Dragon Quest to any of those lowly WRPG's.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Hades
is kicking my ass on Titan. My hands were sweating.
How are you on Titan mode already?

Russell

bryehn said:
Really not feeling it yet after about 3 hours, there's just nothing new here at all. The combat is bland, the QTEs are played-out and so far the bosses are ho-hum.

It looks great at times and the art direction is fantastic, but overall I'm getting a smeared, blurry feeling with a shitty, all-over-the-place framerate.

I think some of you guys are playing his with blinders on. It feels squarely like GoW 2.5 in HD and unless it gets way, way better I doubt I'll even play it a second time.
Bland combat?

"Played out" Quick Time Events?

Boring bosses?

Smeared, blurry graphics with shitty framerate?

God of War "2.5" in HD??

Okay, who the f*ck let the trolls out? :(

satori

Ok...this game...is simply amazing. I have so much to do but I cant stop playing. On another note, one of my friend said to me, "meh not impressed, its the same shit etc". Now I know to each his own but, really one have to stop and ask themselves, what are my expectations here? You can tell the immense hard work and dedication that went into making GoW3. The amazing graphic, amazingly smooth combat, and perfect pacing...

All I can think of is, some people just need something to complain about, its sad really. O well we get to enjoy it when they get to slop around waiting for 6d graphic or something...

I must say this game is terrible. The graphics aren't Crysis quality. I mean this is 2010 not 2001. I can't bear to play games that aren't the best looking game ever. There is no guns, no online, no perks, it's impossible to camp, it's not free roaming, I think I saw a microscopic jaggie somewhere, not enough ebonics, no weed references, needs more tits, costs $60, not easy enough, it uses a proven formula, not enough waggle, can't fly planes, not realistic, not enough brown and bloom, not on Xbox360, no party chat, no cross game invite, not enough time to make a sandwich, no 50 cent, no map packs, not published by Activision, no dialogue trees, can't create a character, *insert worst review on the internet from some blog here*, you can die, no exploits or glitches, can't customize kratos with decals, no co-op, $599, isn't made in Japan, no spiky haired characters, no loot, no norse mythology, and it killed my parents.

Synless

LiquidMetal14 said:
Hard mode I meant. I've died like 20 times.
Ahhh, I see. Yeah, I died like three times yesterday in the matter of 15 minutes. Maybe I'm just not used to GoW at the moment, but I've beaten the other 2 multiple times and never had this much trouble.

-PXG- said:

I think this game pretty much seals the deal. Bayonetta, DMC and Ninja Gaiden are good, but God of War III shits all of over them, and pretty much every other all Japanese games. Some may say it's a matter of taste, but compare Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon Age and Mass Effect to, say, FF, Tales, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter or SMT.

IMO, Western devs are making more of an effort to push the envelope and innovate. I'm not neccessarily saying I dislike Japanese games and think they're crap. I just think they're not as good as they could be. Their standards have definitely taken a significant drop.

You're spot on. What is even more annoying is that Jap developers (apart from RPG ones) don't even care about the story anymore. The innovation and pushing the envelope with story and characters reached its height with Devil May Cry for PS2 and sadly, it never got better since then. Not that DMC had any good story to begin with either. For all the Jap action games, the story, voice acting and characters are ridiculously over the top without any explanation or internal logic, and their voices are phoned in in a day. The story is probably done in an hour too.

Compare that to the original story in God of War. It was deep and emotional, and made me misty eyed near the end.

I think it has something to do with the fact that Japanese developers see their characters as invincible, graceful and infallible, where as western developers don't.

tirminyl

Why does Fed-Ex fail so much? Every shipment where I specify who to leave it with (front office, no-one if sig required), they always leave my stuff with my neighbor. No, don't take it to the front office of my apartment complex like the postal service, or ups guys do. Drop it off at my neighbors house. She better be home when I get home or else I will have her ashes covering my body.

LowParry

SuperSonic1305 said:
I must say this game is terrible. The graphics aren't Crysis quality. I mean this is 2010 not 2001. I can't bear to play games that aren't the best looking game ever. There is no guns, no online, no perks, it's impossible to camp, it's not free roaming, I think I saw a microscopic jaggie somewhere, not enough ebonics, no weed references, needs more tits, costs $60, not easy enough, it uses a proven formula, not enough waggle, can't fly planes, not realistic, not enough brown and bloom, not on Xbox360, no party chat, no cross game invite, not enough time to make a sandwich, no 50 cent, no map packs, not published by Activision, no dialogue trees, can't create a character, *insert worst review on the internet from some blog here*, you can die, no exploits or glitches, can't customize kratos with decals, no co-op, $599, isn't made in Japan, no spiky haired characters, no loot, no norse mythology, and it killed my parents.

Duuuuude, you forgot about the zippers. The -zippers-!

Synless

LLaMa-Tech said:
you can select titan mode right off the bat, just not Chaos mode.
I thought Titan mode was blacked out when I selected the hardest difficulty. Maybe I was just reading it wrong from my lack of sleep.

Pistolero

Stopped to say the game obtained the highly praised mark of 9/10 on gamekult, probably the best and most critical french virtual magazine.The french posters would agree that it's a testimony to the game's value ! :D

SuperSonic1305 said:
:lol :lol :lol

george_us

-PXG- said:

I think this game pretty much seals the deal. Bayonetta, DMC and Ninja Gaiden are good, but God of War III shits all of over them. GoW III is a paradigm of how Western games are now becoming superior over Japanese games overall. Some may say it's a matter of taste, but compare Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon Age and Mass Effect to, say, FF, Tales, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter or SMT.

IMO, Western devs are making more of an effort to push the envelope and innovate. I'm not necessarily saying I dislike Japanese games and think they're crap. I just think they're not as good as they could be. Their standards have definitely taken a significant drop. I don't want anyone to fail or anyone to be better than the other. I just want Japan to wake the fuck up.

/rant
Look, I share your sentiments as a whole regarding the state of Japan, but you need to put the crack pipe down when comparing God of War III to Bayonetta. I don't know how many times it has to be said but Bayonetta and God of War are almost two completely different games. And God of War III is innovative now? REALLY? I'm loving it as much as the next person here but GoWIII is basically the same two games with prettier graphics and some slight tweaks. And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way really.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
started playin this morning, im up to Hade's palace

i did'nt no my PS3 can do Chaos

edit: dunno if my controller is dying or im too use to Bayonetta, but is the jumping a lil bit off to anybody else???

-PXG- said:

/rant

Even though I completely disagree with the east vs west thing, that's not why I quoted you.

Just how much of Bayonetta have you played? IMO, the combat has pushed the genre forward more than God of War has and probably ever will. It is made by the father of the genre after all so it's somewhat expected.

Now I don't want to start a Bayonetta vs God of War debate in the God of War thread because I doubt many people will take my side but I just wanted to say something.

Darkatomz

Just got my Ultimate edition, I'm in the process of downloading all of the bonuses before starting.

Speaking of the bonuses, is the GS skin not supposed to be downloaded until after the game is completed?? The store keeps saying that the code is invalid. Also, is the heavy metal/OST not working for everyone else?

With that being said, I'm not entirely convinced the Ultimate edition was worth $100. The box is cheapy on the outside (although the inside is pretty nice). I was hoping for a more solid, metal design.

I just realized I threw away my 7-11 skin code... Not sure I want to do it again :(

JambiBum

Russell said:
Bland combat?

"Played out" Quick Time Events?

Boring bosses?

Smeared, blurry graphics with shitty framerate?

God of War "2.5" in HD??

Okay, who the f*ck let the trolls out? :(

He has a couple of points though. The combat is bland. It's just not as complex as something like Bayonetta. The QTEs for some of the larger enemies is just the same thing every time. But for the bosses they are really well done. Also the game is gorgeous.

Maybe it was just the way he made his comments, but it's like some people just refuse to believe that there can be anything wrong with this game.

Katana_Strikes said:

It's called dynamic range. The volume level of most of the sound is lower so that they can put louder sounds in there when they want. They have a larger range of loudness to work with as a result and this is what dynamic range is.

LowParry

Ya know, keep the shitty Bayonetta game out of here. The game does one good thing. Combat. God of War 3 does the same combat but does everything else four times better. It wins. Game over. 2010 GOTY.

Pistolero

Now I don't want to start a Bayonetta vs God of War debate in the God of War thread because I doubt many people will take my side but I just wanted to say something.

I agree with you. However, I think the different philosophies between both games makes it hard to compare them. At least with regard to gameplay.

Peterthumpa

SuperSonic1305 said:
No horse armor.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
JambiBum said:
He has a couple of points though. The combat is bland. It's just not as complex as something like Bayonetta. The QTEs for some of the larger enemies is just the same thing every time. But for the bosses they are really well done. Also the game is gorgeous.

Maybe it was just the way he made his comments, but it's like some people just refuse to believe that there can be anything wrong with this game.
There is no real issues. PXG kinda nailed it.

CcrooK said:
Ya know, keep the shitty Bayonetta game out of here. The game does one good thing. Combat. God of War 3 does the same combat but does everything else four times better. It wins. Game over. 2010 GOTY.
This is pretty much true, good combat. Bayo isn't shitty though.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
JambiBum said:

Is the thread title "God of War III - The Official Thread", or is it "Oh noes...God of War III is not Bayonetta"?

We know they're two different beasts, and quite frankly dont care. Respect each game for what it is, and move on.

Synless

JWong said:
Wtf? Bestbuy gave me... a voucher for the God of War 3 E3 demo.

Kinda late! Doncha think, Bestbuy?
That voucher was in the pre-order all the way back in September or October. You are the one who is late.

Top Bottom