• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just beat it @ 2:54am. HOLY SHIT. :O
Too tired to post more now but just wow. Incredible experience from start to finish. Mad respect to the devs @ Santa Monica, you guys need a freaking vacation seriously. Damn. Just damn.

Le-mo

Kagari said:
HELP

Just killed Hera... how the heck do I get the level to stay down to keep the bridges in place?
I was stuck there for at least an hour. I don't want to recall the horror.

bridegur

This game is going to ruin every other game's visuals for me. I know why they stuck with the God of War name, but Holy Lord! might have been a more suitable title.

Weenerz

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I had trouble with them too. It was most noticeable during the finisher on
Hermes
. Thankfully the ones later on that were more important to hit registered fine.

Same place comes to mind where they weren't registering properly. I had full life till I got to that part, fuck
Hermes

NG28

Question to people who beat it:
How is the weapon variation?
From what I've seen, all the main weapons appear to be somewhat ranged. Like the blades, they are attached to the chains. Are they unique or do they just vary based on speed and strength?

I probably didn't need to spoiler that but some people itt seem to get pissy about the tiniest things.

Le-mo

Kagari said:
Yeah, and it activated the different visuals, but I don't know how to get the last chalice thing to fill up.
If you're talking about the chalice with
Hera
on it then you don't. You simply move the movable staircase onto the
button that slows down time and make your way up the stairs to where the water flows

Darkatomz

Just got past the area that was used in the early E3 demo, and I'm SO glad that they fixed it up. No more oversaturated blacks, more added variety, and a lot of other minor changes.

Obviously, the scale and visuals are some of the best that I've seen period in a video game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Le-mo said:
If you're talking about the chalice with
Hera
on it then you don't. You simply move the movable staircase onto the
button that slows down time and make your way up the stairs to where the water flows

How do I get her into it? It's not letting me...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kagari said:
How do I get her into it? It's not letting me...
Step on the button to change the perspective then you can move the staircase from earlier to make a path when perspective changes. It's kind of like Echochrome.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RoboPlato said:
Step on the button to change the perspective then you can move the staircase from earlier to make a path when perspective changes. It's kind of like Echochrome.

Ah hah. Thanks, got it.

Beat first boss. Game checkpoint put me in difficult position as my health bar was really low for after first direct fight with Poseidon.
Dodging lightning part was pissing me off.
Felt like game was not registering my jump immediately. Died quite few times.

Why did I expect it to start like this? Fully leveled up weapon only to lose it. Fuck I even lost red orbs.

This game is new definition of epicness. Fucking gorgeous. This brings back memory of cool moments where you see something and it doesn't make sense at that moment, but you know you are coming back there with something to solve that mystery.

It's funny how GoW III, finally, does not have button mashing for orb chests but Dante's Inferno does for fucking everything. And thank god QTEs aren't random this time around.

Angst

My thanks to all people who've started to post unmarked spoilers in this thread.

IT'S NOT OUT IN EUROPE YET! Stop posting spoilers without spoiler tags!!!!!ONE kthxbye

Ok about half way through the game, and so far the biggest suprise to me is that the combat feels a lot better than 1 & 2, I enjoy using all the weapons and power ups ive been given while in combat, which rarely happend in the previous games. I think the set pieces where the boss fights occur are the best in the series, the puzzle element is there but ive not had one that even made me think. But then again ive never found the puzzles challenging in the previous games. Overall if this holds up to the end, this will be my favorite of the 3.

Donos

My avatar is up for grabs (first come...)

21ezy1s.jpg

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I encourage anyone who beats the game to watch the making of. It starts at the end of God of War II when Cory Barlog decided to resign. It's an amazing featurette.

Animator

I have been playing since 11 am and I am still not done. I would say I have been playing for 11-12 hours so far and enjoying the shit out of it. Going to restart immediately in titan mode as soon as I beat it.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Okay fuck this game. Fuck it to pieces. Fuck it to Mercury and burn it with fire.

If any of you are playing on Hard Mode and you think ANY fight in the game is tough, it literally pales in comparison to this fight you'll have to deal with somewhere getting close to the end

They throw me in a ring with a three-headed-cerberus with a three-stage killing process. Each stage has an insane amount of hits needed, and mean while he's spewing his little shit cerberus children that explode on impact. What happens when you cut off one of its heads? One of those guys that spins around with his staffblade from the past games shows up. Now you have to deal with the cerberus, his stupid staffblade buddy, and all his shit cerberus children. What happens when you kill the staffblade buddy? Two more show up.

I've been trying for FOUR FUCKING HOURS and I can't even get passed the second head stage. I have all my weapons leveled up, I've tried everything, but he anyone of those enemies can kill you in about 3 hits, and there's no health or ANYTHING.

It is fucking ridiculous.

Kagari said:
You're fast. I'm at 7 hours now and only at
the Labyrinth.
Well I was really hyped for the game XD. It felt rather easy upgrading and whatnot compared to the previous titles, I was maxed with my blades pretty quickly and wreaked havoc.
Dogenzaka said:
Okay fuck this game. Fuck it to pieces. Fuck it to Mercury and burn it with fire.

If any of you are playing on Hard Mode and you think ANY fight in the game is tough, it literally pales in comparison to this fight you'll have to deal with somewhere getting close to the end

They throw me in a ring with a three-headed-cerberus with a three-stage killing process. Each stage has an insane amount of hits needed, and mean while he's spewing his little shit cerberus children that explode on impact. What happens when you cut off one of its heads? One of those guys that spins around with his staffblade from the past games shows up. Now you have to deal with the cerberus, his stupid staffblade buddy, and all his shit cerberus children. What happens when you kill the staffblade buddy? Two more show up.

I've been trying for FOUR FUCKING HOURS and I can't even get passed the second head stage. I have all my weapons leveled up, I've tried everything, but he anyone of those enemies can kill you in about 3 hits, and there's no health or ANYTHING.

Man the part
In the Labyrinth where you have to fight the scorpion was horrible. Something like 10 cyclops' on your ass. D:

Animator

Dogenzaka said:

Summon gorgon soul

Dogenzaka said:

Hopefully this allays your fear of an 8-hour game length ;|

Dogenzaka

Banned
Animator said:
Summon gorgon soul

That only freezes one enemy, and with big enemies like a cerberus it's not enough.

But wow...I didn't even think of that.

I'm going to try that tomorrow. I have a headache and I'm not in the mood after going dizzy from that fight. There was hardly any opportunity to even attack because you have to roll like an animal the entire time.

Man the part
In the Labyrinth where you have to fight the scorpion was horrible. Something like 10 cyclops' on your ass. D:

Oh I know, but I did it in about 5 tries.

This fight, if I've counted the "easy offers" enough times, I've tried more than 45 times..probably more than 60 though >_>

Hopefully this allays your fear of an 8-hour game length ;|

I am waaaaaaaaaaaay past 8 hours. I think I might be banking on 13 right now and I'm not even done.

Animator

Dogenzaka said:
That only freezes one enemy, and with big enemies like a cerberus it's not enough.

But wow...I didn't even think of that.

I'm going to try that tomorrow. I have a headache and I'm not in the mood after going dizzy from that fight. There was hardly any opportunity to even attack because you have to roll like an animal the entire time.

Cerberus you can beat normally it is the goddamn pole dancer assholes that is the problem. Hated them in gow 2 hate them even more in gow3. Until I realized I can freeze them with gorgon soul I replayed that one part where you fight two of them in a narrow corridor like 50 times. They are really frustrating and this was on normal difficulty.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Animator said:
Cerberus you can beat normally it is the goddamn pole dancer assholes that is the problem. Hated them in gow 2 hate them even more in gow3. Until I realized I can freeze them with gorgon soul I replayed that one part where you fight two of them in a narrow corridor like 50 times. They are really frustrating and this was on normal difficulty.

Oh yeah. In that narrow corridor I just used the
whips
which made it pretty fast and tolerable.

But with the Cerberus, I like to use the
cestus
because he takes SO many hits like it is RIDICULOUS. If I use any other weapon it takes waaaay too long.

But for the pole-dancers,
cestus
isn't really that good in my opinion, so it's like :(

I fuckin hate the pole dancers and hated them in GOW2. But you can spam circle (grab) and kill them pretty easily. If no one interferes, you can grab, throw them to the ground, grab them on the rebound and repeat.

Animator

templeusox said:
I fuckin hate the pole dancers and hated them in GOW2. But you can spam circle (grab) and kill them pretty easily. If no one interferes, you can grab, throw them to the ground, grab them on the rebound and repeat.

Yea it doesnt work when there are two of them. The grab window is too long one of them comes and hits you. And in gow3 they have this new unblockable throw animation where they sommersault over you and stab you with the spear and throw you. It takes away like one third of your damn health. Not even the bosses do that kinda damage.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Dogenzaka said:

Try to
focus on killing the cerberus first, grabbing the puppies will automatically make Kratos kick them toward Cerberus and while you grab the puppies you can't get hit. But keep in mind that after you throw them, dodge so the stick guys won't hit your or any of the other suicide puppies. And don't forget to use Sparta Power (L3+R3) in the final head so you can hill Cerberus faster. Ones you kill him, focus on the stick guys, if they jump, just dodge right or left. Lion Head gaunglet seem to work great against them, R1+[] send them flying, and if you can grab the one that is standing do kill them faster, and then just repeat.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The talk of GoW and GoW2 makes me realise, while I recall the plot quite well, I don't remember much of the actual games themselves at all. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the game, just beat
Poseidon

I'd say...

HOLY SHIT

Top Bottom