• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The mailman just dropped off my copy of GoW III. I'm off for a few days in 30 minutes, so I only had time to pop the game in and play for 10-15 minutes, up to the first boss. Seems like they actually managed to top the GoW II intro/beginning. Holy tits. Can't wait til I get home again on Sunday to give it another spin! :D

Rez said:
I'm so addicted to FFXIII. To buy this tomorrow and play it relatively quickly, and then get back to FFXIII, or to wait until I finish FFXIII... hmm.

I was in the same boat.....decided to buy this and power through it. It's only gotta be what, 12 hours or so. Hopefully finish by this weekend then back to FFXIII

Cruzader said:
Did you order from Amazon??

If you did, email them and tell them your situation, specially if you have Prime. You might get a $10 off code for you next purchase.

No it's from GAME (UK). They better ship this soon or I doubt I'm gonna see it for launch day (Friday).

I'll be sending them an email about how I'm unimpressed with their service though if not.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Katana_Strikes said:
GODDAMN!

GAME still haven't shipped my Ultimate edition. They've been sitting "picking and packing" it for 2 whole days. WTF!!!

Anyone had there's shipped yet?

The same for me, since monday it's been 'picked and packed'...

GatorBait

Combichristoffersen said:
You still have a few hours left, I'd say. Enjoy the spinning blade pillars in Hades when you get there :p
I played GoW last year for the first time and I was shocked how easy the spinning pillars were for me. It took me maybe 5 minutes of trial and error the first time I played it. I just beat the GoW for the second time at the beginning of this month and I had virtually zero issues whatsoever. I fell twice at the very beginning because I wasn't focusing, but then I breezed through both pillars without falling once. It really just takes patience and judicial use of X button to quickly jump up or to the side.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Katana_Strikes said:
No it's from GAME (UK). They better ship this soon or I doubt I'm gonna see it for launch day (Friday).

I'll be sending them an email about how I'm unimpressed with their service though if not.

It could be that it's being sent Parcel Force 24? even so, if they do that it probably won't arrive with me until Friday evening..

i played about 5 hours of GOW3 last night, it's really awesome. Each boss is more exciting than the last (for the most part) and there are a lot more different types on enemies than GOW1/2 had from what I remember.

Ainigma said:
It could be that it's being sent Parcel Force 24? even so, if they do that it probably won't arrive with me until Friday evening..

Well whatever they use it better by darn fast. I was at least hoping it would arrive a day early, like most online shops, but Friday might be pushing it at this rate...

Ainigma

Neo Member
Katana_Strikes said:
Well whatever they use it better by darn fast. I was at least hoping it would arrive a day early, like most online shops, but Friday might be pushing it at this rate...

Same here, and our postal service is always about 6 hours later than it should be which doesn't help if it's sent to arrive on Friday

tzare

well, i played it for half an hour or so, i am in
the hades, just after losing powers
. This game is beyond anything else and has only started. Even U2. This generation is really starting to blur the line with movies.
I also hate myself for watching spoiler vids of the opening battle, however i am still shocked:D

Combichristoffersen said:
Yeah, you have to
engage in the sex minigame with Aphrodite to get information (I don't know exactly what sort of information)

You don't need to. My brother didn't. All he missed was a trophy. (I'm sure he wanted to but me sitting beside him and watching the game made it awkward so he asked "anything important if I pick "yes"? to which I said "nothing really"). :p

Salz01

This game is Awesome. The presentation is second to none. I'm only 2 hours in, havent made it to the second boss fight yet. But this game and UC2, have ruined all other games to me. Just the polish, presentation and gameplay moments... just owns everything else. Looking at whats coming down the pipeline, just makes me sad since until UC3 comes out, I doubt we'll see this kind of polish / imagination/ presentation again at least for a while.

Awesome game, I love the opening credits, the presentation is incredible. Only got to play a little last night, but the tomb with Ares was a big favorite of mine. The graphics are sick, sick, sick.

Anyone have any spare costume codes and want to share? Btw played up to the second boss and the game really shines. The new moves seem to make the combat flow very well. Love the graphics... Amazing!!

alr1ghtstart said:
Are the gorgon eyes/feather chests hidden really well or something? I had no problem finding them in 1+2, but I'm probably half way through
(just pleased Aphrodite :p)
, and I only have a few.

I just finished the second lvl and have already raised my health and magic once and have 2 minotaur horns. Maybe I'm used to looking for them as I just got done replaying GOW1 and 2.

Minamu

woot have my copy as well. But won't be playing until I re-beat gow2 after all these years :D

Strangely enough, Swedish Gamestop is now selling the Canadian GOW Collection on shelves, with the Mature rating & all o_O :lol What's up with that?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Played just a tad yesterday and came away impressed. The production values seemed to have been stepped up significantly over the previous two games. It's really pretty incredible looking in motion and the cutscenes are no longer shit (they looked awful in the PS2 games).

I am crazy impressed w/ how the game looks but I am not sure if 30fps w/ blur is the way to go for a game like this. I played God of War Collection right before this and I find the controls a little sluggish and a lack of screen 'visibility' due to the blur and reduced framerate. Again, the graphics engine is superb but I think not sticking to 60fps for game of this style may have not been the right choice. Sometimes I feel like I can't see what is going on ......
The game actually runs higher than 30 fps most of the time...just like the PS2 games. Those games most certainly did NOT hold 60 fps. There was a lot of slowdown and tearing in the first two games. GoWIII does tend to drop a bit lower overall, but there is never any screen tearing.

LowParry

Hard Mode really tests your patience but damn, the end result is satisfaction. I may have it done by tonight but we'll see. This is my GOTY. It was ME2 but not anymore. Good times!

LowParry

Gotta say though. The kills are hella brutal this time around. You'll just have to see them for yourself but if you though the demo was gory....wow. :lol Kratos is not a happy man at all.

Anyone care to help me? (spoiler 6-9 hours in)

What am I supposed to do with Cronos? I got to the point where you're on his arm and he tries to swat you. He's done that quite a few times. Am I supposed to do something else or do I just have to keep killing the skeleton guys? It seems like they just inifinitely respawn.

Lyonaz

Wooohooo, just bought the game after work. :D
The shipment arrived this morning and I got the last superior cover-art PAL collector's edition too. :D

kikanny

CcrooK said:
Gotta say though. The kills are hella brutal this time around. You'll just have to see them for yourself but if you though the demo was gory....wow. :lol Kratos is not a happy man at all.
I don't really blame him.
Everyone keeps double crossing him.

LowParry

CrayzeeCarl said:
Anyone care to help me? (spoiler 6-9 hours in)

What am I supposed to do with Cronos? I got to the point where you're on his arm and he tries to swat you. He's done that quite a few times. Am I supposed to do something else or do I just have to keep killing the skeleton guys? It seems like they just inifinitely respawn.

If it's the part where you see the shadows of his fingers, keep into the light of it. One his hand comes down, you climb from the side of one of his fingers onto his hand. Hope that helps. Now go kill the big ass bastard

GatorBait

This was asked earlier in this thread, but not answers:

WEAPONS SPOILERS:

How do the different weapons feel? Does it feel like there is enough differentiation between each weapon? It seems like the Hades claws and the whips(?) would be very similar to the chain blades. Hell, even the Cestaus has ranged attacks that use a chain. Thoughts/impressions?

LowParry

GatorBait said:
This was asked earlier in this thread, but not answers:

WEAPONS SPOILERS:

How do the different weapons feel? Does it feel like there is enough differentiation between each weapon? It seems like the Hades claws and the whips(?) would be very similar to the chain blades. Hell, even the Cestaus has ranged attacks that use a chain. Thoughts/impressions?

I don't recall names but I'll give you an description. Hades claws are strange though I like how they provide a different soul that you can use as a R2 attack. I'm not sure how you get other souls but I guess I'll figure that out later on. Though they seem rather weak for attack power and slower than your normal blades. The fist weapons from Hercules come very handy with the big enemy's like the stone statues or chimera's. They knock them back so you can keep swinging away. Now there's the electric blades/claws/whatever that turns Kratos into some aerial combo fiend. Very fast and has launchers. Neat thing about it all is the option of combo use with weapon switches on the fly with (and I may have this wrong, very tired) the L1, X move. Specials into your next weapon so that you can continue your combos. Sadly you can't pick or make a selective order. It just goes by a standard order. Hope that helps and not too spoilerish. I don't have all of them upgraded as of yet but that's the jist of them.

CcrooK said:
If it's the part where you see the shadows of his fingers, keep into the light of it. One his hand comes down, you climb from the side of one of his fingers onto his hand. Hope that helps. Now go kill the big ass bastard
Thanks.

I had a feeling I was supposed to get up on his hand, but I tried jumping and it didn't work. I don't think I tried just moving into his finger to climb up it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The scale in the
Caverns
is amazing. I mean, your a mere few pixels as you control Kratos on some of the sections. And the light in the middle is amazing for lighting. Combat has been WAY more saisfying than the first 2 games. I am actually using the tools at my disposal this time around. They stepped it up in the gameplay. And again, this game visually is the new benchmark. The quiet sections are good and just tease at the spectacle of the scale and detail. This game has it all.

And as Dark said, the framerate is amazing considering what they're pulling with this engine. It feels close to 60 than 30 most of the time. And even if things get crazy the game doesn't chug. There should be absolutely no complaints on tech issues with this game, it's peerless.

Darkman M

Just played about 45 mins and this is the first game ive played this gen and said wow! The presentation,scale, and graphics are unmatched on console and that's including uncharted 2. Gow 3 just took it to another level amazing stuff.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Regarding audio. does this game use positional techniques? It sounds superb and never too crowded. For those touching on the game being too quiet, I think this was a design choice (could be wrong) to give the sound balance. I love how it when you pound someone and audio slams. There seems to be that lower tone like in real life when you hear something loud and your ears have to "readjust".

Monocle

So I just finished watching a full playthrough on YouTube. The weapons look very cool. Unfortunately, the player in the videos wasn't particularly creative in the combo department. And I kept wanting to yell at him for his upgrade choices (IMO, Kratos's default weapon ought to take precedence because it's effective in pretty much every situation). The dude kept pouring orbs into things he rarely used. :lol

Really impressive presentation overall. The sense of scale is like nothing else I've seen. Loved the penultimate fight. Good ending.

Jim

Dogenzaka said:
Man
Hercules
on Hard Mode is nearly impossible :(

Seriously, um,
Hades and Herc
on Hard is easy. Wait until the
giant Fire Cerebus
Scorpion
and
last form of Zeus
, and you may be throwing a controller.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The worst enemies in GoW history remain those stupid pieces of shit with the claws that dive underground. They come up too rarely and they made that AWFUL noise in GoW1. FIGHT LIKE MEN

tzare

btw, at least a game with language and subs selector ingame. So i can put english without having to switch language of XMB/OS

kikanny

Y2Kev said:
The worst enemies in GoW history remain those stupid pieces of shit with the claws that dive underground. They come up too rarely and they made that AWFUL noise in GoW1. FIGHT LIKE MEN
Yup. I hate those things! They really pissed me off in GOW 2.

YYZ

I don't mean to be all autofellating, but is hrad mode not that hard? I didn't even touch normal because I thought it would be too easy. I got my butt kicked by the water tentacle monsters at first, but quickly became acclimated to the requirements and now it's okay. Someone opined that the
Hercules
fight is impossible, but I found it fairly easy. Died once or twice I think. I have beaten the other games on the hardest difficulty though. There's no fights besides
Hades
that really tested my actual combat skills too much so far.

I haven't gotten to the parts where people are saying it's actually incredibly difficult though. Last boss I beat was the biggest so far, not to spoil.

Y2Kev said:
Are you spamming L1+O? That's the win move. Makes them easy. I really like that change.

Jim

YYZ said:
Someone opined that the
Hercules
fight is impossible, but I found it fairly easy.

That fight is easy compared to a few at the end on Hard as I mentioned a few posts up.

Top Bottom