• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Fakto said:
I died almost 30 times in the 3th trial of the realm Hades, ok, thats it, I'm changing the dificulty to God ! >,<

Im on Titan too...That took me about 15 deaths until i learned a strategy that worked!!
First thing i did was kill those damn harpies with L1 + O, and just kept away from medusa as much as i could. I then would do the L1 + O on medusa to knock her back and then square, square, triangle. Repeated that, and then one of those minotaurs came up....by that time i was able to finish the medusa which stoned the first minotaur, allowing me to kill him quick. Then it got tough...more damn harpies and another minotaur. This second part was where i kept dying...I realized that you needed to do the L1 + O to ram the minotaur then do a square, square, triangle combo, then IMMEDIATELY roll dodge or you'll get nailed by a divebombing harpie. As long as you roll dodge right after you attack the minotaur you wont get hit by the harpies. Then once you kill the minotaur, just L1 + O the remaining harpies.

Barrett2

Dra-Q said:
Why not get both? ;)
I've been play'in FFXIII for 25h now and will get God of War 3 tomorrow, woho :D

I'll get GOW3 eventually, but with FF13 and MLB10 still fresh purchases, im' trying to hold off before getting anything else. Too many Spring games!!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
lawblob said:
I'll get GOW3 eventually, but with FF13 and MLB10 still fresh purchases, im' trying to hold off before getting anything else. Too many Spring games!!
God of War III is pretty much the last big name game until at least a few weeks from now when Splinter Cell Conviction rolls out. Take your time with what you've got.

Zabka

Azerach said:
How effing big is your screen if you can't watch the edges of the screen with the corner of your eye :lol

I'm liking this system better than the one before, haven't missed a single QTE so far (playing on titan)
Just a 42 inch LCD. I haven't missed any either, but it's because you're given a massive amount of time for the button presses in this game. I just think it's a case of fixing what isn't broken.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Is anyone else having issues with the L1+O move not charging the enemy you are aiming for? Example...I'll be fighting an enemy on the ground and those harpies are in the air. I walk all the way to the other side of the map and face the harpies in the air trying to grab them, but Kratos will instead still try to charge the enemy on the ground..??

VariantX04

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Is anyone else having issues with the L1+O move not charging the enemy you are aiming for? Example...I'll be fighting an enemy on the ground and those harpies are in the air. I walk all the way to the other side of the map and face the harpies in the air trying to grab them, but Kratos will instead still try to charge the enemy on the ground..??
Have you tried jumping?

LosDaddie

Banned
Zabka said:
(restarted on normal because TITAN Mode was a bit much for a first play)

Seems to be the theme today. :lol I think I could do Titan on my first playthrough, but the game wouldn't be as enjoyable with all the trial & error. I really want to enjoy this game...not just get frustrated and want to smash my controller.

Hopefully someone will answer whether or not if you can carry anything over on other playthoughs. I hope so!

Azerach said:
How effing big is your screen if you can't watch the edges of the screen with the corner of your eye :lol

I'm liking this system better than the one before, haven't missed a single QTE so far (playing on titan)

Yeah, I'm not having any problem with QTE button placement either, and I'm playing on a 61" LCD.

mik

mik is unbeatable
canova said:
please spoil me. How many weapons are there in this game?
Not that many, but enough, since they each have some different magic effects associated with them.

Blades of Exile
Nemean Cestus
Claws of Hades
Nemesis Whip

Zabka said:
God damn this game looks sharp. Only complaint in 3 hours or so of progress (restarted on normal because God Mode was a bit much for a first play) is the QTE button placement. I'm either watching the action and missing them or watching the edges and missing the action.

I don't understand why they changed it. The buttons would always appear during lulls or slow-motion bits, but now I have to scan the screen like I'm playing whack-a-mole.
the QTE implementation is beautiful, if a button appears on the bottom, hit X, the left, hit square, the top, hit Y, etc.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
theignoramus said:
the QTE implementation is beautiful, if a button appears on the bottom, hit X, the left, hit square, the top, hit Y, etc.
Exactly. We had this discussion yesterday. There is something wrong with you if you can't take the cues from the button placement AND lit edges of the screen. It only doesn't do pressing the buttons for you!

simtmb

Just finished it right now. Morning of release date (in AUS) till now. Played it in one big sitting with several breaks in-between, and pretty much what i wanted, and what i expected.

Bloody.brutal.fun.

Loved it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
simtmb said:
Just finished it right now. Morning of release date (in AUS) till now. Played it in one big sitting with several breaks in-between, and pretty much what i wanted, and what i expected.

Bloody.brutal.fun.

Loved it.

1217371-1209280247-GTAvatar.gif

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
simtmb said:

Bloody.brutal.fun.

Loved it.

wtf is that avatar from? cute shit.

Zabka

LiquidMetal14 said:
Exactly. We had this discussion yesterday. There is something wrong with you if you can't take the cues from the button placement AND lit edges of the screen. It only doesn't do pressing the buttons for you!
I didn't say I was missing it. I said it distracts me from watching the action in the game. I haven't missed a QTE yet. My brain has been wired for the PS button placement for 15 years, I don't need top, bottom, left or right buttons.

JB1981

I'm not sure I can express enough how absolutely amazing this game looks. It has the best image quality I've seen of any game this console gen.

I am sorry but this game and a few others have proven to me that in the rights hands, there is a 'PS3 difference.'

LiquidMetal14

Zabka said:
I didn't say I was missing it. I said it distracts me from watching the action in the game. I haven't missed a QTE yet. My brain has been wired for the PS button placement for 15 years, I don't need top, bottom, left or right buttons.
Like it or not it's for the better. I got by with the way they were in GoW 1/2 and this is even better than that.

simtmb

EvaPlusMinus said:
wtf is that avatar from? cute shit.

School Rumble :D

Btw, i haven't quite read the thread so sorry if it's already been mentioned/answered. But during my playthrough, i encountered some pretty terrible and constant sound problems. Sound skipping/cutting out, and even at once playing late in a particular scene towards the end. Not really a problem, but since my disc is perfectly fine, it just got annoying at some points as a few cutscenes actually skipped and some of the sound kept playing over. :(

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So HAS anyone finished this on Titan yet? Im just curious if anything carries over in future playthroughs. If i knew that i could beat it on normal and carry over all of my stuff for a Titan attempt I wouldn't mind starting over...:lol

Zabka

If I don't like it, then it's obvious I don't think it's better. Why are people so defensive about this?

I think Heavy Rain's implementation was a more natural step forward.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Zabka said:
If I don't like it, then it's obvious I don't think it's better. Why are people so defensive about this?

I quite liked Heavy Rain's way of doing it. With the old GOW way, I never missed one. I've missed a few in GOW3, mainly the tap circle icon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JB1981 said:
I'm not sure I can express enough how absolutely amazing this game looks. It has the best image quality I've seen of any game this console gen.

I am sorry but this game and a few others have proven to me that in the rights hands, there is a 'PS3 difference.'

Obligatory:

e8rhp3.jpg

ShinAmano

So I have seen some blurry places with gold stuff floating...I am assuming this is something I have to come back to later as I did not see anything else around.

Yeah that is how I see the controller as well ;)

VariantX04

Zabka said:

Because it's logical; if you're familiar with a Dualshock controller.

LiquidMetal14

Zabka said:

Don't get too worked up about it. And HR is pretty much the best QTE game ever and really shouldn't be compared to GoW 3's QTE's since they are not as dominant in the game as HR.

VariantX04

alr1ghtstart said:
I quite liked Heavy Rain's way of doing it. With the old GOW way, I never missed one. I've missed a few in GOW3, mainly the tap circle icon.
Circle is hard to see because of the color. Missed it a couple times too.

XHPrime

Fakto said:
I died almost 30 times in the 3th trial of the realm Hades, ok, thats it, I'm changing the dificulty to God ! >,<

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Im on Titan too...That took me about 15 deaths until i learned a strategy that worked!!
First thing i did was kill those damn harpies with L1 + O, and just kept away from medusa as much as i could. I then would do the L1 + O on medusa to knock her back and then square, square, triangle. Repeated that, and then one of those minotaurs came up....by that time i was able to finish the medusa which stoned the first minotaur, allowing me to kill him quick. Then it got tough...more damn harpies and another minotaur. This second part was where i kept dying...I realized that you needed to do the L1 + O to ram the minotaur then do a square, square, triangle combo, then IMMEDIATELY roll dodge or you'll get nailed by a divebombing harpie. As long as you roll dodge right after you attack the minotaur you wont get hit by the harpies. Then once you kill the minotaur, just L1 + O the remaining harpies.
I did something similar except I put the first minotaur between me and the gorgon which froze him and knocked off most of his health. Then when he was dead and the last group of harpies + minotaur came out I finally killed the gorgon which flashed everyone then I just shattered the mino.

LosDaddie

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
So HAS anyone finished this on Titan yet? Im just curious if anything carries over in future playthroughs. If i knew that i could beat it on normal and carry over all of my stuff for a Titan attempt I wouldn't mind starting over...:lol

Waiting on an answer for this too.

Zabka

AgentWhiskersX said:
Because it's logical; if you're familiar with a Dualshock controller.
Like I said before, I've been using PS controllers for 15 years. It wasn't necessary for me. Is there anyone who actually had an issue with the first two games?

VariantX04

Zabka said:
Like I said before, I've been using PS controllers for 15 years. It wasn't necessary for me. Is there anyone who actually had an issue with the first two games?
I didn't have an issue per se but this way helps me actually focus on the action without keeping my eye centered on the next QTE prompt.

XHPrime said:
I did something similar except I put the first minotaur between me and the gorgon which froze him and knocked off most of his health. Then when he was dead and the last group of harpies + minotaur came out I finally killed the gorgon which flashed everyone then I just shattered the mino.

I'm playing Titan too, it took me about 10 tries but I finally got past it by doing this...
I killed the flying things with (X, L1+O, [], [], []), then one minotaur showed up so I was left with a minotaur and the gorgon. I killed the gorgon which froze the minotaur then I was able to kill the minotaur with a couple of hits. More birds and 1 minotaur showed up, so I killed flying things with (X, L1+O, [], [], []) than took care of the last minotaur quite easily.

Hope this helps others.

Firewire

Banned
Zabka said:

Yes, people complained about the QTE button prompts appearing in the above middle of the screen somewhat getting lost in the on screen action.

Personally I don't have a problem with the old or new way. I think SSM is just trying to make it a bit easier for some.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
JB1981 said:

I agree, even looking back at the released demo there is a huge difference and the demo looked better than most games.

I might get crap for this later but i doubt there will be a game this year that can top GOW3 in graphics or at least games that were announced to be released this year.

edit: if the Last Guardian comes out this year, then I would be mistaken.

Anyone redeem a phantom of chaos skin voucher and actually have sony email them the PSN download code? I've been waiting 4 days now.

--

And i didn't have a problem with executing the QTEs in the first game, but half the time I was so busy watching for the prompt that I didn't get to enjoy whatever brutality kratos was inflicting. The new system is bloody brilliant.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Started replaying again last night. I kind of rushed through the beginning a bit last time so I'm taking my time and really focusing on the little details. One of the most impressive things for me is how enemies skin, fur, or whatever looks so much like how it actually would. Most games even things that are supposed to have fur look kind of like clay. It's particularly noticeable on (early enemy spoiler, not boss)
the larger, yellow gorgons. The way the skin shines looks so real. When Kratos does the QTEs on them, the way that the skin separates is eerily realistic. The minotaurs are also covered in hair that actually looks like you would expect to see on a bull.
I've never seen such good texture work on things like that before.

Stahsky

JB1981 said:

For serious. Always been an avid player of the "Both look the same, stop bitching" club for a while now, but this is some serious gaming right here. I'm mainly a PC player, but I own all the consoles and I gotta say, the PS3 is finally starting to really impress me. Lots of great looking and quality games. Can't wait for The Last Guardian.

The QTE's jarred me at first, but after a few plays I've gotten use to it, no harm no foul I guess. The jumping mechanics, however, are starting to get on my nerves. It's strange, I didn't have a problem until I read a few complaints in here and then last night I kept screwing up several of my jumps in the 3 judges portion. Maybe it's a mind over matter thing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EvaPlusMinus said:
For serious. Always been an avid player of the "Both look the same, stop bitching" club for a while now, but this is some serious gaming right here. I'm mainly a PC player, but I own all the consoles and I gotta say, the PS3 is finally starting to really impress me. Lots of great looking and quality games. Can't wait for The Last Guardian.
Same here. I really hope some of the tech in this starts to show up in more of Sony's first party games, particularly the MLAA, motion blur, and DoF.

Stahsky

Zabka said:

As a person who rarely uses the Dualshock (Normally on the PC, and prefer the 360 controller for controller stuffs) Once I finally memorized the button placement and realized what the game was pointing out, I had it down perfectly. So I don't really understand the confusion with it.

RoboPlato said:
Same here. I really hope some of the tech in this starts to show up in more of Sony's first party games, particularly the MLAA, motion blur, and DoF.

I got Metro 2033 running at nearly max settings on Dx10 and somewhat playable (at times) DX11 and the dudes who made this game got me to say "Holy shit" out loud.

That's some high five material right there. If any of you devs are reading this for some strange reason, be proud!

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

IMO, my better solution:
Dodge everything until you see the Gorgon starting to stone gaze. L1 to deflect, QTE to stone EVERYTHING. All harpies will die. Back off, gain your composure, Minotaur 1 shows up, repeat deflection tactic. Shatter him. Repeat until it's just you vs. the Gorgon. Eff up the Gorgon however you see fit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
theignoramus said:
I agree. That little 'flash' on the side of the screen also helps to draw attention to what side the button came up. I hit them all completely unconsciously. Really clever.

DasRaven

My god after 2 full hours last night trying to beat Hades on Titan, I damn near gave in to the "would you like to punk out" prompt. I decided to call it a day instead and try again later.

This morning, it only took two attempts and I barely got touched.
Hard more is HARD! I know I'll never even attempt Chaos mode now.

Top Bottom