• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

uraldix

corrosivefrost said:
IMO, my better solution:
Dodge everything until you see the Gorgon starting to stone gaze. L1 to deflect, QTE to stone EVERYTHING. All harpies will die. Back off, gain your composure, Minotaur 1 shows up, repeat deflection tactic. Shatter him. Repeat until it's just you vs. the Gorgon. Eff up the Gorgon however you see fit.

I never even thought of that. That is so much easier than the way I did it :D

MoxManiac

Spectral Glider said:
The QTE's jarred me at first, but after a few plays I've gotten use to it, no harm no foul I guess. The jumping mechanics, however, are starting to get on my nerves. It's strange, I didn't have a problem until I read a few complaints in here and then last night I kept screwing up several of my jumps in the 3 judges portion. Maybe it's a mind over matter thing.

I'd have to test some more but the problem i was having was Kratos not double jumping when I wanted to. I figured out that you can't double jump after the apex of the first jump, or so it seemed to me. I don't remember if GoW 1 and 2 were like this, but I found I had to make sure I pressed jump again before he started descending.

Personally if a character has a double jump he should be able to do it at any point during the first jump, but eh.

mr_nothin

Banned
DasRaven said:
My god after 2 full hours last night trying to beat Hades on Titan, I damn near gave in to the "would you like to punk out" prompt. I decided to call it a day instead and try again later.

This morning, it only took two attempts and I barely got touched.
Hard more is HARD! I know I'll never even attempt Chaos mode now.
That's the good ole days right there. I had that happen in a lot of games. You lose once and the more you play, the harder it seems to get. You come back later on and get right past that part after 1 or 2 tries. It was even like that with puzzles (resident evil).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
mr_nothin said:
That's the good ole days right there. I had that happen in a lot of games. You lose once and the more you play, the harder it seems to get. You come back later on and get right past that part after 1 or 2 tries. It was even like that with puzzles (resident evil).

One of the last fights, I kept losing. After a while, I just suddenly became a counter-fu master and got all neo on his ass and won with hardly a scratch.

I plan to do this on chaos mode.

forrest

formerly nacire
Zabka said:
I didn't say I was missing it. I said it distracts me from watching the action in the game. I haven't missed a QTE yet. My brain has been wired for the PS button placement for 15 years, I don't need top, bottom, left or right buttons.

The design decision to place the QTE queues at the screen edges relative to their controller placement has been one of the best changes they have made IMHO. This is the first GOW that I've actually been able to take in all of the action during a QTE and not miss one button press. :D

I'm playing on a 55-inch LCD.

Stahsky

belvedere said:
There are no words.

Epic comes to mind, but even that does this experience no justice.

Chuck Norris?

Hmm...

Synonyms: astronomic, colossal, considerable, enormous, epic, gigantic, ginormous, humongous*, jumbo, mammoth, massive, mega, monster*, monumental, prodigious, sizeable, tremendous, vast, very big, very large, whopping

I vote mammoth

MoxManiac said:
I'd have to test some more but the problem i was having was Kratos not double jumping when I wanted to. I figured out that you can't double jump after the apex of the first jump, or so it seemed to me. I don't remember if GoW 1 and 2 were like this, but I found I had to make sure I pressed jump again before he started descending.

Personally if a character has a double jump he should be able to do it at any point during the first jump, but eh.

Someone posted a quote from a member of SM who basically said that you have to jump before the edge, not at the edge. He understood it was counterintuitive to a lot of gamers such as myself. But if you give yourself some distance before hitting the edge of where you're jumping from, you should be fine. He explained the design decision was to have an invisible wall at the edge, instead of before it as was done in the first two GOW's, to prevent people from falling off. And if you jumped when you met the edge of a platform, it would result in a collision detection event, causing the double jump to fail.

With all of these comments about hard mode, I don't think I'll try and attempt it.

Hell, I tried replaying GoW2 a few days ago on hard mode and I couldn't beat the first boss. The giant dudebro statue. :lol

Stahsky

No sound problems here, but I had some wicked cutscene FPS drops or stuttering or someshit towards the end. Thought the PS3 was going to explode for a bit there.

Filldough

Well, I beat the game last night on Normal. What a fantastic ride... Scale redefined indeed, I still cannot believe some of the things I experienced in those 10+ hours. Graphics of course are stellar, there were so many moments I'd find myself slack jawed in amazement. The action is just unbelievable, pretty much the most memorable boss fights I've ever played. I told myself I'd go back to FFXIII after I beat it but I might go thru again on Hard, this seems like a game that is going to stay with people for a while.

Honestly not sure where I would place it in the series... Had I not recently replayed the collection I'd probably have put this right behind number 2 as my favorite in the series, however, upon replaying 1 and 2 I saw thru a lot of nostalgia and recognized some really irritating things in both 1 and 2 that I didn't experience in 3. I'd agree with Dogenza (sorry if I spelled your name wrong, working from hazy memory right now) that the level design of 2 is a little better, but I think 3 is more efficient in pushing you along and giving you that feeling of non stop action.

I just never felt lost or like I was backtracking which could be good or bad depending on what you want from the series... I personally liked the breakneck pacing and the absence of really frustrating puzzles was a nice change to me. I actually got asked if I wanted to change difficulty once cause I was losing a fight instead of a timed spiked floor puzzle or some other such annoyance.

I still don't know what to think about the ending to be quite honest... Its suitable, and I actually did not expect it so I suppose that's a good thing... I will admit I don't feel satisfied with it the way I did the other two games, something is missing, maybe its just that realization that this is the end of the series, I'm not sure... it works and works well when I think about it, just didnt give me the warm fuzzys that I get from say... tearing the head off a god :)

All in all great great game, I think its my favorite in the series all things considered. I'll have to play thru again and see if any of my opinions change. The fact that this is SSM's first PS3 game is just staggering. Thanks to SSM, you guys are freaking amazing, cannot wait to see what you come up with next.

Soooo..... are we going to start another thread to discuss the ending or even the series as a whole now that the story is complete. I really want to know what other people thought, especially those who really liked the ending. Sorry for the longass post.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
EvaPlusMinus said:
Synonyms: astronomic, colossal, considerable, enormous, epic, gigantic, ginormous, humongous*, jumbo, mammoth, massive, mega, monster*, monumental, prodigious, sizeable, tremendous, vast, very big, very large, whopping

I vote mammoth

Gargantuan?

MoxManiac

PartlyCloudlike said:
Someone posted a quote from a member of SM who basically said that you have to jump before the edge, not at the edge. He understood it was counterintuitive to a lot of gamers such as myself. But if you give yourself some distance before hitting the edge of where you're jumping from, you should be fine. He explained the design decision was to have an invisible wall at the edge, instead of before it as was done in the first two GOW's, to prevent people from falling off. And if you jumped when you met the edge of a platform, it would result in a collision detection event, causing the double jump to fail.

Ah, thanks. This lines up with what I was experiencing, and explains it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm stuck on the first chain you have to climb across. :lol I stupidly decided to open the green orb chest before the fight, and now since I don't have a lot of health left, I die before reaching the other platform. :lol Fuck Titan mode.

I was so determined to finish this game last night, but that bastard
ZZZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He just wouldn't die! :mad: I realized I'd be better off taking a break. I almost broke my controller a few times. :/ I have a good strategy now, so I should be able to finish it tomorrow (obligatory family time tonight :( )

Hachimaki

:lol I just received the trophy
"I didn't do it... But I wish I did!"

They sure had fun coming up with names for these trophies.

DasRaven said:
My god after 2 full hours last night trying to beat Hades on Titan, I damn near gave in to the "would you like to punk out" prompt. I decided to call it a day instead and try again later.

This morning, it only took two attempts and I barely got touched.
Hard more is HARD! I know I'll never even attempt Chaos mode now.

I had to cop out at the 3 trials. I dont know if I wasn't using a certain move well enough, like the one where you pull yourself into other enemies or something? but after about 6 tries I started it all over on normal.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I don't know how some of you guys could just start the game on Titan during your first playthrough. Shit is hard.

belvedere

Junior Butler
EvaPlusMinus said:

I vote mammoth

Mega mammoth?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
middle_finger.jpg

Fuck you Titan Mode. That was insanely tough. All
three forms of Zeus
took me about 3 hours. I can't imagine what chaos mode is like.

Eliciel

wenis said:
Someone please give me a strategy for beating hades.......please :__(

Counting, Timing, don't be too greedy, stay calm, plan your work and work your plan.
Focus on your strengths encounter his weakness...

I am not going to spoil anything about how to kill him because that's what makes this game so awesome

I can tell try to solve it on your own it is such a rewarding moment in the end...

ZeroRay

Oh wow this is some Visari Palace shit right here.

Got to the part where you have to fight the flame Cerberus that shoots exploding dogs at you with Sadyrs coming every time you cut a head off. Any good strategies for this?

kikanny

voady said:
Counting, Timing, don't be too greedy, stay calm, plan your work and work your plan.
Focus on your strengths encounter his weakenesses...

I am not going to spoil anything about how to kill him because that's what makes this game so awesome

I can tell try to solve it on your own it is such a rewarding moment in the end...
Man...That was such an awesome boss fight. Probably the best I've ever played!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
kikanny said:
Man...That was such an awesome boss fight. Probably the best I've ever played!
I've loved the boss fights so far. I feel like I'm pitting all my skill against them, instead of finding out what to do and repeat over and over.

So damn rewarding.

dread9

Banned
wenis said:
Someone please give me a strategy for beating hades.......please :__(

First phase:
he will do a 2 hit attack, the first one is short range, second one, long range.
-keep your distance and use the bow and arrow.
-time your dodge so he doesnt hit you with the long range attack.
-Use the bow enough to make him angry and he will do the jump animation, make sure time your jump(double jump) so the aoe ground attack doesnt hit you.
Second phase:
-he will do a two hit attack that you have to roll away from
-get used to the sound of his chains so you know when to roll, and make sure you roll twice with a half a second gap in between the two attacks
also, stay in the front, dont move in
-he will also do a swing attack that you have to jump over, he will do 4 swings, just watch his animation on whether he will do a high swing a low swing
-use the bow only.
phase 3:
-a bit tricky, but just roll, stay away from him and use the bow and dodge his aoe ground slams
phase 4:
-your in the front again, this time he does a 3 hit chain slam so roll out of the way 3 times
-he will release skeletons which you should parry back to him (l1+square)
phase 5:
double jump away from the chains and soon after they are done either use the bow or attack him once or twice
-you could also use magic when the dogs come out and use the rage thingy.
-its tricky but doable you have to be patient
phase5(the head phase):
swing when hes gonna do the big breath attack or is gonna slam you, just attack like crazy and dodge his fist slams and grabs

I did this on chaos mode after doing it on normal, shouldnt be too different on titan

ZeroRay said:
Thanks, I'll try that.

I actually got to the point where I killed the Cerberus and had 2 Satyrs left but I got sloppy and let them kill me.
Jim's strategy helped me. I actually had to kill one Satyr with just counters and the Cestus because I didn't have enough magic to stun all of them. I would hate to die trying to kill the last Satyr, so I did the first one without magic. It took forever, but if you are patient and use L1 and R3 A LOT, you can do it without losing too much health. I just completely ignored the Cerberus until the Satyrs were dead.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Passed the bit I was stuck on and just got the bow.
Riding around on the cerberus
was fuck-awesome. That's it for now, though. Can't get too far into the game since I'll be playing through it over the weekend with a few mates.

Loved every minute of the game thus far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This Guitar Hero part is fucking stupid. What do I need to do for it to let me do it without it automatically "failing" me. I moved the slots. Argh...

LosDaddie

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
With all of these comments about hard mode, I don't think I'll try and attempt it.

Probably a wise decision. Otherwise, you'd end up "wasting" 2.5hrs before admitting you're not hardcore enough for Titan, like I did last night.

Now hopefully someone will answer whether or not there a NewGame+...or if anything carries over to future playthroughs

Snuggler said:
This Guitar Hero part is fucking stupid. What do I need to do for it to let me do it without it automatically "failing" me. I moved the slots. Argh...
Watch where the camera moves to when it fails...this happens in other places too. If you can't figure out what's wrong, watch where the camera pans.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Snuggler said:
Plug in a Guitar Hero guitar to make it easier.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
LosDaddie said:
Now hopefully someone will answer whether or not there a NewGame+...or if anything carries over to future playthroughs
Well there have been items I've found that say, "You found ____! You can equip and use it after you beat the game." So there is some sort of NG+.

Top Bottom