• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Manus

Man this game is epic. I'm enjoying it more than the first two games. I sometimes just have to just let the game sit there while I stare at the pretty graphics.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mizzou Gaming said:
I have never played GoW 1 or 2, but I really want GoW III. Should I play through 1 and 2 prior to playing 3 or does it really matter?

I'd recommend at the very least reading up on the first two. GoW3 picks up the moment GoW2 ends, after all. It'd be best to play through them, though.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
SquirrelNuckle said:
Man this game is epic. I'm enjoying it more than the first two games. I sometimes just have to just let the game sit there while I stare at the pretty graphics.
Too bad cameras are fixed. :/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I would say the beginning is pretty spectacular but the
Cronos part truly had me in awe.
It was cool how they made some different gameplay bits for the
dodging and context specific actions in that secion.

Much like the rest of the game, the gameplay is WAY better than the first 2 games (to me). I'm actually shifting weapons more and using things since the design is so much better set up for versatile weapon use. And I love how fighting enemies makes you have this old school mentality of memorization and actually using the weapons at your disposal.

They really throught the gameplay through so even the naysayers can't fault the game in that department a much anymore. So fucking good.

Regarding difficulty - Playing on Titan has only stumped me once
During the Hades encounter
but the game has been challenging in a fun way. I've died but thanks to the game play changes the reward has felt so nice on Titan.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I haven't much time to play as of late, but I finished the opening act of the game.

qsmmqg.jpg

So good.

VariantX04

alr1ghtstart said:
That is a good thing.
It's actually both. Some people don't like having their hand held throughout the entire experience. It would be nice to sometimes just stop and glance freely at all the hard work put in to a game like Uncharted 2, for example.

JaseC said:
I'd recommend at the very least reading up on the first two. GoW3 picks up the moment GoW2 ends, after all. It'd be best to play through them, though.

I guess since it doesn't have multiplayer I can take my sweet time as long as I stay away from spoilers. Plus I saw Wally World is selling the I and II Collection for $30. From what I hear the I and II bundle at $40 is a phenomenal deal. $30 is ridiculous considering the amount of quality content. Honestly though does the new versions on BRD look and run significantly better?

belvedere

Junior Butler
SquirrelNuckle said:
Man this game is mega mammoth. I'm enjoying it more than the first two games. I sometimes just have to just let the game sit there while I stare at the pretty graphics.

fixed

Firewire

Banned
Mizzou Gaming said:
I guess since it doesn't have multiplayer I can take my sweet time as long as I stay away from spoilers. Plus I saw Wally World is selling the I and II Collection for $30. From what I hear the I and II bundle at $40 is a phenomenal deal. $30 is ridiculous considering the amount of quality content. Honestly though does the new versions on BRD look and run significantly better?

Yes they are allot better than the PS2 versions, just being in HD. Also look around more, I've seen lower prices on the GOW Collection out there.

Rikyfree

Mizzou Gaming said:
Yes.
Edit: I swear if those skins aren't up in the store today or my email isn't sent to me, HEADS ARE GONNA FUCKING ROLL! .......

ZEEEEUUUUUUUSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

JaseC

Mizzou Gaming said:
I guess since it doesn't have multiplayer I can take my sweet time as long as I stay away from spoilers. Plus I saw Wally World is selling the I and II Collection for $30. From what I hear the I and II bundle at $40 is a phenomenal deal. $30 is ridiculous considering the amount of quality content.

You couldn't be more right.

Honestly though does the new versions on BRD look and run significantly better?

Shit yes. Butter-smooth 60fps at 720p w/ 2xAA. GoW2 in particular looks phenomenal considering its a PS2 game.

AgentWhiskersX said:
It's actually both. Some people don't like having their hand held throughout the entire experience. It would be nice to sometimes just stop and glance freely at all the hard work put in to a game like Uncharted 2, for example.
Yeah, but I'm sure the fixed camera allows them to squeeze out much better performance, so it probably wouldn't be as stunning otherwise.

ScrubJay

I've been playing when I can the last few days. I beat the second boss last night, much easier fight than the first. Everything in the game feels so "heavy", you don't feel like you're controlling and hitting empty polygons but they feel more like actual bodies should, if that makes any sense at all. Sometimes I just sit around and look at the graphics. All said, this game is an experience.

Mizzou Gaming said:

Yes, it is indeed worth it, especially with the smooth 60fps and 2xAA graphics; not to mention trophy support for both games under separate sections: (for them trophy whores!), this is the BEST way to experience God of War 1 and 2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Is there a new game plus? If you start a new game, does anything carry over?

I can't find anything. You do find various treasures left by bosses to use in the next game throughout the game though. There must be something.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
"Dear God of War III. Thank you for coming into my life. You have made my living room much more exciting, have scared the crap out of my bunny Batman and have taken a large portion of my boyfriends time! So for all this, Thank You!"

my gf's facebook status, no joke.

VariantX04

CrayzeeCarl said:
Yeah, but I'm sure the fixed camera allows them to squeeze out much better performance, so it probably wouldn't be as stunning otherwise.
I'm not very familiar with the technicalities but how would a fixed camera go about yielding better graphical performance?

alr1ght

AgentWhiskersX said:
I'm not very familiar with the technicalities but how would a fixed camera go about yielding better graphical performance?

you don't have the render/texturize things not on camera.

VariantX04

alr1ghtstart said:
you don't have the render/texturize things not on camera.
Is that really how it's done? So if you technically tilted the camera a bit, you'd find missing artifacts/objects?

Zeliard

AgentWhiskersX said:
Too bad cameras are fixed. :/

Yeah, I wish I could look around the environments. The auto-camera itself is great, though, but I just miss being able to move it around purely for aesthetic reasons.

A.R.K

JB1981 said:
I'm not sure I can express enough how absolutely amazing this game looks. It has the best image quality I've seen of any game this console gen.

I am sorry but this game and a few others have proven to me that in the rights hands, there is a 'PS3 difference.'

There absolutely is a 'PS3 difference.' . Only blind fanboys can deny this. I have been absolutely blown away by the IQ of this game. Its super clean and sharp that I have never seen before. I would say its even above Uncharted2's IQ. U2 is still at the top of the list with some of the stuff it does but in pure IQ GOWIII has no equal. I just wish GOW had free camera though. It would be so awesome to rotate the cam and admire the gorgeous paintings all around you. :)

anddo0

Zabka said:
If I don't like it, then it's obvious I don't think it's better. Why are people so defensive about this?

I think Heavy Rain's implementation was a more natural step forward.

After HR, some of the QTE's in GoW3 feel sluggish and unresponsive. The half circle is the most annoying.

Firewire

Banned
tapedeck said:
"Dear God of War III. Thank you for coming into my life. You have made my living room much more exciting, have scared the crap out of my bunny Batman and have taken a large portion of my boyfriends time! So for all this, Thank You!"

New Kevin Butler commercial incoming...confirmed. :lol

AgentWhiskersX said:
They put in the scenic viewpoint areas in the game for all the people who want to be able to control the camera. There isn't many of them, but I thought it was a good addition. The camera designers say in one of the videos that the game wouldn't look as great if the player could look around at everything whenever they want. I'm pretty sure it would bring about a lot more work for the environment artists as well.

Besides, giving camera control to the players makes any game much more complex for many.

dread9

Banned
A.R.K said:
There absolutely is a 'PS3 difference.' . Only blind fanboys can deny this. I have been absolutely blown away by the IQ of this game. Its super clean and sharp that I have never seen before. I would say its even above Uncharted2's IQ. U2 is still at the top of the list with some of the stuff it does but in pure IQ GOWIII has no equal. I just wish GOW had free camera though. It would be so awesome to rotate the cam and admire the gorgeous paintings all around you. :)

Its undeniable, I do wish there was a free roam camera but that would have strained the dev team and diminished the quality of the graphics.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
alr1ghtstart said:
I can't find anything. You do find various treasures left by bosses to use in the next game throughout the game though. There must be something.

Oh...i thought you beat it already, my bad. If you did beat it then are you saying that when you start another game after that you can't see if you have your stuff from your previous playthrough? Im just looking to know if weapons, etc...carryover at all to new playthroughs.

tapedeck said:

is that her in your avatar?

zoukka

AgentWhiskersX said:
Is that really how it's done? So if you technically tilted the camera a bit, you'd find missing artifacts/objects?

:lol

No they modeled some extra shit that nobody ever sees.

And yes the fixed camera angle plays a huge role on how the game looks so good.

JaseC

A.R.K said:

Oh how far we've come since December 2008. :lol

VariantX04

zoukka said:
:lol

No they modeled some extra shit that nobody ever sees.

And yes the fixed camera angle plays a huge role on how the game looks so good.
I just assumed there were assets that are preset and presently available.

alr1ght

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Oh...i thought you beat it already, my bad. If you did beat it then are you saying that when you start another game after that you can't see if you have your stuff from your previous playthrough? Im just looking to know if weapons, etc...carryover at all to new playthroughs.

I did. I selected New game, and didn't get any sort of prompt. It lets me use the new costume, but the game behaves as normal (except for the 4x damage from the costume).

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Nah, no new game plus currently. Upgrades and weapons do not carry over. Someone said that it might be patched in if enough people complain about it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
This game is a technical marvel and a visual miltestone for console graphics.

4 hours into the game and I'm loving every second of it, amazing fight after fight, jawdropping vistas and set-pieces...

santa monica I love you <3

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
alr1ghtstart said:
I did. I selected New game, and didn't get any sort of prompt. It lets me use the new costume, but the game behaves as normal (except for the 4x damage from the costume).

Ah, well to me that seems to indicate that you dont get to carry over your weapons, etc...on new playthroughs which blows. Im playing on Titan and while im enjoying the game, its getting frustrating at times, and i was hoping that if you beat it the game allows you to play higher difficulties with all your stuff. I would then just start over and do playthrough #1 on normal. Im assuming you know this too (it says this in the manual) that by wearing a special costume it disables trophies.

alr1ght

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ah, well to me that seems to indicate that you dont get to carry over your weapons, etc...on new playthroughs which blows. Im playing on Titan and while im enjoying the game, its getting frustrating at times, and i was hoping that if you beat it the game allows you to play higher difficulties with all your stuff. I would then just start over and do playthrough #1 on normal. Im assuming you know this too (it says this in the manual) that by wearing a special costume it disables trophies.

no game is going to let you use cheats on higher difficulties. And I figured it out. Once in the new game, press start and go to items. There you can turn on the special items. Nothing else transfers (weapons, etc). I dont know if trophies get disabled when you activate special items.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
darkjedi187 said:
Dam, I didn't realize some of the trophies were do x so many times. I'm just past the
Aphrodit
e part. Am I screwed?
I never realized this BUT good thing I have 1 save for every save spot in the game thus far. I just passed that part this morning too. How many times BTW? And please use spoilers when referencing locales/characters in the game!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
alr1ghtstart said:
no game is going to let you use cheats on higher difficulties. And I figured it out. Once in the new game, press start and go to items. There you can turn on the special items. Nothing else transfers (weapons, etc)

Interesting...are there any items that would make a playthrough on Titan more manageable? (Please spoilertag)

Rikyfree

darkjedi187 said:
Dam, I didn't realize some of the trophies were do x so many times. I'm just past the
Aphrodite
part. Am I screwed?
If you're past that part, you've already been screwed. :lol

alr1ght

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Interesting...are there any items that would make a playthrough on Titan more manageable? (Please spoilertag)

If you're doing it for the trophy, they are disabled for the whole playthrough if you activate the items. They're the usual infinite magic/rage/etc.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
alr1ghtstart said:
If you're doing it for the trophy, they are disabled for the whole playthrough if you activate the items. They're the usual infinite magic/rage/etc.

Are you sure? I thought the manual said trophies are only disabled when you wear special costumes?

Top Bottom