• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Are you sure? I thought the manual said trophies are only disabled when you wear special costumes?

yes (it prompts you when you turn them on), and you can't use them on difficulties you haven't beaten.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Interesting...are there any items that would make a playthrough on Titan more manageable? (Please spoilertag)

Turning on items turn off Trophies for that playthrough.

As far as just getting through Titan mode, the Items act like the Urns did in GoWII.

Tom Penny

So people have beaten the game yet I haven't see the answer to what additional content is as in Arena / challenge modes? How much do they add?

MrPliskin

Banned
AgentWhiskersX said:
It's actually both. Some people don't like having their hand held throughout the entire experience. It would be nice to sometimes just stop and glance freely at all the hard work put in to a game like Uncharted 2, for example.
How is a fixed camera holding your hand? Wow...

Fakto

I'm stuck at the
Hades temple
, there is a wheel that can be activated to open a gate in the upper lvl, but I can't get there in time before it closes, am I missing something here ? Arrrggg !

Fakto said:
I'm stuck at the
Hades temple
, there is a wheel that can be activated to open a gate in the upper lvl, but I can't get there in time before it closes, am I missing something here ? Arrrggg !
Wedge the stack of bricks under the wheel spokes to stop it from turning after you open the door.

Treb

Fakto said:
I'm stuck at the
Hades temple

Think you gotta head back down a level and get that movable platform to put under the wheel on the top level.

MrPliskin

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
Yeah, but I'm sure the fixed camera allows them to squeeze out much better performance, so it probably wouldn't be as stunning otherwise.
It actually doesn't work like that. The game still renders things not in sight. It has to account for camera changes for QTE's for different enemies. One of the SantaMonica guys talked about it at great length over at B3D.

Two questions: Concerning the trophy for getting all gorgon eyes, feathers, horns, etc. I'm guessing you have to collect all of them in a single run? They probably don't carry over between games right?

Also, I'm assuming you can't unlock any trophies in a follow up playthrough if you have any godly possessions activated can you? Anyone tried?

Violater

EvaPlusMinus said:
No sound problems here, but I had some wicked cutscene FPS drops or stuttering or someshit towards the end. Thought the PS3 was going to explode for a bit there.

Yea I am definitely getting some uneven sound effects issues

Jim

SquallASF said:
Two questions: Concerning the trophy for getting all gorgon eyes, feathers, horns, etc. I'm guessing you have to collect all of them in a single run? They probably don't carry over between games right?

Also, I'm assuming you can't unlock any trophies in a follow up playthrough if you have any godly possessions activated can you? Anyone tried?

Correct... single run. There are way more Chests with eyes, feathers, horns than you need, thankfully.

Also correct. You can't use Costumes or Godly Possessions, they disable Trophies.

careksims

Got past the part in the demo and damn... one word: EPIC!

The scale is godly and more games need this kind of scale. With this and Uncharted 2, they got the adventure genre down. Just soo good. I don't want it to end. I have to play this bad boy several times to take it all in.

I remember years ago when graphics like these were only cg movies! OMG! I'm still in disbelief! All that and so far I haven't seen any massive slowdown. It's so buttery smooth! Why can't other companies do games like this? SM and ND are graphic/tech gods.

KingGondo

Banned
Man, what a fantastic experience. Beat it a couple hours ago, and I've been watching the making-of and voice acting featurettes since then.

Right up there with Uncharted 2 in terms of polish, excitement, and overall satisfaction upon completion. Can't wait to play through again, SCEA Santa Monica fucking brought it on this one. Not to mention, the ending felt surprisingly emotionally authentic and brought everything full circle.

Best games this gen, for me:

1a. GoW3
1b. Uncharted 2
1c. Super Mario Galaxy

careksims said:
Got past the part in the demo and damn... one word: EPIC!

The scale is godly and more games need this kind of scale. With this and Uncharted 2, they got the adventure genre down. Just soo good. I don't want it to end. I have to play this bad boy several times to take it all in.

I remember years ago when graphics like these were only cg movies! OMG! I'm still in disbelief! All that and so far I haven't seen any massive slowdown. It's so buttery smooth! Why can't other companies do games like this? SM and ND are graphic/tech gods.

I love how the actual game is pretty different from the demo. With story elements and such.

RavenFox

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Yes.
Edit: I swear if those skins aren't up in the store today or my email isn't sent to me, HEADS ARE GONNA FUCKING ROLL! .......

ZEEEEUUUUUUUSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Don't worry brother your fellow Spartans are waiting in the Shade...

For those with the Ultimate Edition..

Did your soundtracks of the trilogy and metal both download properly? Mine didn't, the DL finished and gave me an error- called Sony and the guy said there is an issue with the soundtracks at the moment.

Damn you Sony! Damn you!

RavenFox

Banned
Square Triangle said:
For those with the Ultimate Edition..

Did your soundtracks of the trilogy and metal both download properly? Mine didn't, the DL finished and gave me an error- called Sony and the guy said there is an issue with the soundtracks at the moment.

Damn you Sony! Damn you!
If you go a few pages back you can download them for free. [If the links are still up that is]

Also when I download stuff like that I always pay attention to how fast it downloads per file size. To quick-somethings up. I always check the download before closing the link. Sure enough one of the zip files was screwed up and all I did was download again and it was fine.

Jim said:
Correct... single run. There are way more Chests with eyes, feathers, horns than you need, thankfully.

Also correct. You can't use Costumes or Godly Possessions, they disable Trophies.

Thank you for the response. I figured as much but had to ask. Actually, you were even more helpful as I didn't read the trophy carefully and thought I had to get all chests with said items, so you only have to get enough to max out each bar. How many times can you upgrade each bar?

Jim said:

In theory, you probably need to get ALL chests to have a chance at the maxed out trophy for upgrading everything fully, no?

I'm just entering
tartarus
and i have
level 2 hades clawes, max hermes sandals, max helios head, level 4 blades, level 1 cestus, level 1 bow
and i see no way I'm getting the necessary souls to get all of that plus one more weapon I don't have maxed out by end of game. :(

I'm thinking you need ALL the chests and you need to brutal kill EVERYTHING and spam large combos wherever possible... :(

So I made the mistake of playing a tad bit of GoWIII and went back to the collection to finish both games, my eyes went sour. I'm not a graphics whore but damn it's a night and day difference that I just don't think I can complete GoW1 now :lol

Might just Wiki or watch the unearthing the legend to catch up on the story.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
SquallASF said:
Thank you for the response. I figured as much but had to ask. Actually, you were even more helpful as I didn't read the trophy carefully and thought I had to get all chests with said items, so you only have to get enough to max out each bar. How many times can you upgrade each bar?

If i recall, in GOW1 and 2 you would need enough feathers and eyes to raise your meters 3times each...maybe 4. Not sure if GOW3 keeps the same number.

SquallASF said:
It's either three or four, but if you look closely, you can see a little mark where the health/magic/item bars max out at.

Jim

corrosivefrost said:
In theory, you probably need to get ALL chests to have a chance at the maxed out trophy for upgrading everything fully, no?

Nope, you need to just get enough to hit max level for each... you don't need every one. Just like the Trophy in GoW1 in the Collection.

I got all 3 of those Trophies in GoWIII well before the end, and then kept finding chests afterwards which just have red orbs at that point. It's definitely not hard at all. Assuming of course you're using
Helios' Head

Also, I finished with 400 orbs shy of having my weapons 100% maxed (on Titan/Hard). I fixed that later on by replaying the last few chapters, lol.

neos

I've played a couple of hours, and ....i don't know what to say.

I'm asking myself: do i really need something else from a videogame? What else can i expect?

No, nothing, i'm done.
This game is all about PURE SATISFACTION.

Jaffe was right.

Jim said:
Nope, you need to just get enough to hit max level for each... you don't need every one. Just like the Trophy in GoW1 in the Collection.

I got all 3 of those Trophies in GoWIII well before the end, and then kept finding chests afterwards which just have red orbs at that point. It's definitely not hard at all. Assuming of course you're using
Helios' Head

Not what I meant... I know what you mean though... cause there are more than enough chests containing the 3 power up types to max your bars. I was alluding to needing to get all the chests, in all likelihood, if you want to get the "Maxed Out!" Silver Trophy for "Completely upgrade all the weapons", since each chest you find that doesn't have a power up item in it will have bonus red orbs. :)

Eh, I see you caught my drift in your edit. I'm thinking I'm not going to have nearly the amount to get all weapons maxed, especially if things like
Helios' Head
count as "weapons". Unless they just mean the basic 4. But still, I'm a good bit shy of that and I can't imagine I have more than half the game left.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man...

The Labyrinth spikes room is killing me, any tips? Enemies especially the Sirens are very annoying

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ULTROS! said:
Man...

The Labyrinth spikes room is killing me, any tips? Enemies especially the Sirens are very annoying

don't bother fighting them. just lure them into the spikes right before they come up.

Jim

corrosivefrost said:
Not what I meant... I know what you mean though... cause there are more than enough chests containing the 3 power up types to max your bars. I was alluding to needing to get all the chests, in all likelihood, if you want to get the "Maxed Out!" Silver Trophy for "Completely upgrade all the weapons", since each chest you find that doesn't have a power up item in it will have bonus red orbs. :)

I edited that in after re-reading. Yeah, you may cut it REALLY close for Maxed Out. I just, just missed it at first.

corrosivefrost said:
Eh, I see you caught my drift in your edit. I'm thinking I'm not going to have nearly the amount to get all weapons maxed, especially if things like
Helios' Head
count as "weapons". Unless they just mean the basic 4. But still, I'm a good bit shy of that and I can't imagine I have more than half the game left.

They do count as a weapons... that's part of the problem. You do pick up a lot of orbs towards the end, so it's hard to gauge.

KAOz

Short bus special
I hate the Get Stoned challenge so, so soooooo much. :( Manage to get to 9, then I fuck up. Constantly. And it's the only one I need aswell.

Anyone got any good tips?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man, all these soundtracks and some of my favorite themes are still missing (the battle of
Hercules, which was in GOWII or I I think, and the elevator with the medusa/phalanx shield soldiers

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Jim said:

Helios' Head

Also, I finished with 400 orbs shy of having my weapons 100% maxed (on Titan/Hard). I fixed that later on by replaying the last few chapters, lol.

So that
points you towards chests that have eyes, feathers, and fangs (the item gauge thing)
?

Jim

KAOz said:
I hate the Get Stoned challenge so, so soooooo much. :( Manage to get to 9, then I fuck up. Constantly. And it's the only one I need aswell.

Anyone got any good tips?

Keep moving around the perimeter (sometimes jumping), like 1/3rd of the way in from the edge. Air dash if you get too surrounded.

When the gorgons start their green ray, make sure it hits the bigger guys in between you and her, then tap L1 to deflect and purposely screw up the QTE prompt. You get insta-frozen and it's really easy to shake out of.

You can also circle "grab" the zombies, and they'll give you green orbs for extra health. You can deflect the ray and do the QTE and it'll freeze everyone, if you need a breather.

It's by far the hardest, but if you make it to 9, the last part isn't difficult.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
So that
points you towards chests that have eyes, feathers, and fangs (the item gauge thing)
?

Not quite...
it uncovers the ones that are out in the open, as denoted by a hazy/shimmery spot on the ground, as well as ones that are behind seemingly solid walls. I spammed the hell out of it, and found a lot.

KAOz

Short bus special
Jim said:
When the gorgons start their green ray, make sure it hits the bigger guys in between you and her, then tap L1 to deflect and purposely screw up the QTE prompt. You get insta-frozen and it's really easy to shake out of.
Holy shit, I did NOT think of that! All this time I've been doing it normally. Thanks alot for that tip man! Hopefully I will make it with that in mind, once I've gathered enough Spartan rage to boot up the PS3 again. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat it.

I cried.

Tonza

Just beat the game.

Holy shit that was an intense game. The presentation was so damn good.
I can't wait for what comes next from Santa Monica studio.

Really with Uncharted 2 and GoWIII (and maybe Heavy Rain to a lesser extent) Sony has really shown how awesome experiences they can craft with PS3.

NeoUltima

What's with the screen scale option? Should I use it until the corners things are visible? I don't want to smush the picture up though(kinda like how you shrink a large image and it looks all shit like).

Top Bottom