• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

neorej

ERMYGERD!
sleeping_dragon said:
is it me? but i still find the Uncharted 2 screen is more impressive out of the 3 . *run*

It's not just you. But keep in mind that UC2 is extremely closed down. God of War 3 comes extremely close and does it on a scale that's never been seen before. I mean, the opening on Gaia's back... UC2 has nothing that comes even remotely close to that.
All things considered, yes, UC2 looks a tad bit better, but considering the scale of God of War 3, I'd have to hand best graphics so far this gen to GoW3.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
JaseC said:
It uses Morphological AA (MLAA), done via the SPUs. It's practically bullshot-quality AA and less resource-intensive than even 2xMSAA (when spread across multiple SPUs, anyway, as SSM have done).

Well whatever SSM used it looks awesome

Anybody else think the intro when it shows all the developers names is absolutely amazing? Especially the music in the background.

All i listen to is Video game music so its probably just me : \.

RavenFox

Banned
the_prime_mover said:
On another note though, is there a way to stop the boots of Hermes from locking on? As it is they seem almost useless as a dodging tool as the always immediately lock onto the centre of action. Locking onto something that isn't affected by the rush attack tends to only make situations worse.
Try the jump dash. That helps me.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Are you playing on Titan, or Chaos?

I agree with your point though...it annoys me too to get asked over and over. Especially if my death right before being asked was something really stupid on my part, like accidentally jumping or rolling off an edge. :lol

I am only playing on Titan. There is absolutely no way either I, or my spouse, could handle me trying to beat this game on Chaos.

RavenFox said:
Fuck You Sony. You mean really I couldn't get some of this stuff in my Ultimate edition?? Also how hard was it to give us a wooden box?
edit: I just realize carving a wooden box to look like Pandora's would not not have been feasible.

After the Ultimate Edition of God of War III, I will never purchase a Limited, Ultimate, Extreme, or More Expensive, edition of any console game ever again.

The Chef

Just beat
Cronos.
What the hell..I had to stop after that I felt literally winded.

Also I dont know if I am weird but
Aphrodite
is hot. Best sex game of the series.

Holy shit at the intro, loved it :D

Been awesome so far, I love the sounds the blades make when they hit solid surfaces. The clang is great, makes the whole thing more immersive.

Holy Crap!!!!

I played the first level this morning...
the part where gaia is being attacked, i was like... OMG OMG OMG please don't kill her... and then you go to the heart chamber and i was conivnced that the only reason you went there was that she was going to die... so you fight poseidon to save gaia and then the bitch turns on you. The pacing of that is so brilliant... kratos gets shat on again, and even the protecting mother figure doesn't give a shit about him.

I cannot wait to find out if i take revenge on the
titans as well as the gods.

Dogenzaka

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
Holy Crap!!!!

I played the first level this morning...
the part where gaia is being attacked, i was like... OMG OMG OMG please don't kill her... and then you go to the heart chamber and i was conivnced that the only reason you went there was that she was going to die... so you fight poseidon to save gaia and then the bitch turns on you. The pacing of that is so brilliant... kratos gets shat on again, and even the protecting mother figure doesn't give a shit about him.

I cannot wait to find out if i take revenge on the
titans as well as the gods.

That
entire twist
really pissed me the hell off. It was the only real plot security I had.

RavenFox

Banned
Kos Luftar said:
After the Ultimate Edition of God of War III, I will never purchase a Limited, Ultimate, Extreme, or More Expensive, edition of any console game ever again.
I am so much with you on this Kos. Plus the massive F up by Santa Monica allowing anyone to download the exclusive songs left me with a bitter taste.

neorej said:
It's not just you. But keep in mind that UC2 is extremely closed down. God of War 3 comes extremely close and does it on a scale that's never been seen before. I mean, the opening on Gaia's back... UC2 has nothing that comes even remotely close to that.
All things considered, yes, UC2 looks a tad bit better, but considering the scale of God of War 3, I'd have to hand best graphics so far this gen to GoW3.

yeah, gotta to agree with you on this and i'll probably give SMS the benefit of the doubt since this is their first outing on the PS3 while U2 was ND second outing.

rhino4evr

I played up to the first boss last night, died several times..I guess I thought there was a "trick" to him, but I guess all I had to do was keep attacking.

Anyway...amazing opening...extremely epic for the first stage, I mean how can oyu even top something like this? It was out of control...I couldnt even concentrate on my character there were so many things happening on the screen.

Im thinking of just re-starting the game just so I can experience it again, and catch more.

Kittonwy

Banned
neorej said:

We're still dealing with strictly one path/linear levels as far as GOW3 is concerned though, it's not like you have full interaction with every part of the titan, it's not like in SOTC where you can accidentally fall off a colossus and can manage to land or hang on somewhere on the colossus unexpectedly, you probably have more invisible walls and instant deaths in GOW3.

U2 allows for a bit more free climbing and U2 actually has moving physics that is dynamic while GOW3 is basically having Kratos glued to the level, you're actually either running, or in climbing mode, characters don't really react to moving physics per se, the two are basically very different type of games.

One game runs at a significantly higher framerate and the interaction with the environment is more limited and cuts back effects that the player won't see, the other runs at 30fps and basically does just about every effect in the book (SSAO, extensive self-shadowing, shadow-casting lights) and doesn't cheat much.

Both are the best-looking games in their respect genres. >:|

Majine

Banned
I love the fact that Kratos is this universes answer to Sasuke, the anti-hero. He doesn't give a damn about anyone else but himself.

ShinAmano

Majine said:
I love the fact that Kratos is this universes answer to Sasuke, the anti-hero. He doesn't give a damn about anyone else but himself.
Well his whole quest is because he did give a damn about other people.

neojubei

The Chef said:
Just beat
Cronos.
What the hell..I had to stop after that I felt literally winded.

Also I dont know if I am weird but
Aphrodite
is hot. Best sex game of the series.

I agree. That "mini" game was quite good.

mik

mik is unbeatable
neorej said:

The thing that I really love about GoW 3's graphics (and I'll stop beating this dead horse after this, I promise) and the thing that gives rise to the whole "painting come to life" discussion is the way the game uses light & shadow. Seems like every way the camera turns, it creates an interesting composition with dramatic lighting. I believe my Italian painting peeps would call it chiaroscuro.

baglione.jpg

(crappy iPhone pic, but you get the point)
14ne845.jpg

neojubei

Anyone watch the Documentary? I downloaded the HD (3G) and SD versions. Hopefully I can put the SD one on my iphone.

I cannot believe i am going to 7-11 after work to buy 5 slurpee cups (no drink) for that damn DLC skin.

Caj814

Just beat the game.First time in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time that I beat a game in about a single sitting
2rhqtxz.png

Ending:
What do ya know?Athena just wanted the power to herself in the end so she could start the cycle of gods and goddesses once again,but thanks to good ole Kratos he totally denied her that opportunity and made her feel pretty butt hurt:lol .The only thing that disappointed me was the FINAL battle.It was more of an annoyance then anything super epic like in GoW2 that and I punched Zeus for about 5 mins straight until I decided to stop and see what would happen :lol .I wanted some more visual gratitude instead of a red screen for most of the juicy parts. . .no pun intended.Hopefully that epilogue that's potential DLC really will happen

I hate you all.

I only hate myself more. I can't believe I don't have this in my PS3 yet. Like an idiot, I used store credit I had on an "Edge" card to pre-order this from the GameStop website. Their free shipping is first class mail. How many goddamn days does it take for a package to reach Colorado from Kentucky?

This is so unfair.

LosDaddie

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Cool I will PM you the code a little after lunch (1pm est give or take a few) have to grab it from home.

Don't rush. I'm at work and won't be able to PM you the code until tonight..probably around 9pm EST

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I randomly decided to peruse the GoWII official thread and found this post early into the first page:

Chrono said:
GAME OF THE GENERATION... contender.

Will this be one of the PS2 games upscaled to 720p on PS3? MAKE IT HAPPEN SONY.

:lol

Well I guess I am getting close to the end of God of War I.

I made a big statue shoot out of the rings of pandora......

Can't wait to start God of War II so I can get it on with God of War III.

RavenFox

Banned
Ok, can someone tell me why I cannot use my costume from the ultimate edition? I downloaded it/it installed but cannot seem to use it. Do I have to finish the game first or something? Sorry if this was already spoken about.

pixel monkey said:
I hate you all.

I only hate myself more. I can't believe I don't have this in my PS3 yet. Like an idiot, I used store credit I had on an "Edge" card to pre-order this from the GameStop website. Their free shipping is first class mail. How many goddamn days does it take for a package to reach Colorado from Kentucky?

This is so unfair.

The USPS is shit now-a-days. Hell it took two weeks to get a letter that was mailed 6 blocks down the road here where I work.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Caj814 said:
Just beat the game.First time in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time that I beat a game in about a single sitting
2rhqtxz.png

Ending:
What do ya know?Athena just wanted the power to herself in the end so she could start the cycle of gods and goddesses once again,but thanks to good ole Kratos he totally denied her that opportunity and made her feel pretty butt hurt:lol .The only thing that disappointed me was the FINAL battle.It was more of an annoyance then anything super epic like in GoW2 that and I punched Zeus for about 5 mins straight until I decided to stop and see what would happen :lol .I wanted some more visual gratitude instead of a red screen for most of the juicy parts. . .no pun intended.Hopefully that epilogue that's potential DLC really will happen

Ending:
Start a new alliance of gods? Based off of "hope"? Lol yeah right. She's dead anyway.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MidnightRider said:
Well I guess I am getting close to the end of God of War I.

I made a big statue shoot out of the rings of pandora......

You still have
Hades
left to go before you reach the end of the game.

neojubei

RavenFox said:
Ok, can someone tell me why I cannot use my costume from the ultimate edition? I downloaded it/it installed but cannot seem to use it. Do I have to finish the game first or something? Sorry if this was already spoken about.

You have to beat the game first.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
RavenFox said:
Yeah, the skin menu is unlocked once you finish.

On the topic of skins, the site took my code then crapped out before I could give it any other info and now when I try to redeem it it says invalid code. Am I screwed?

RavenFox

Banned
neojubei said:
You have to beat the game first.

RoboPlato said:
Yeah, the skin menu is unlocked once you finish.

On the topic of skins, the site took my code then crapped out before I could give it any other info and now when I try to redeem it it says invalid code. Am I screwed?
Ok thanks guys

silentspork said:
As much as the titan fights were awesome, I think I was most impressed with Hephaestus because of the fantastic composition in his chamber.
I must have spent a good 15minutes watching him. very amazing stuff.

Still no Phantom of Chaos skin code. :(

--

When you beat the game and have the relics carry over, can you change the difficulty?

That is, if I beat the game on Titan (hard) and want to do a cleanup trophy run on easy or normal, will I have all the godly relics I collected on Titan?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
corrosivefrost said:
Still no Phantom of Chaos skin code. :(

--

When you beat the game and have the relics carry over, can you change the difficulty?

That is, if I beat the game on Titan (hard) and want to do a cleanup trophy run on easy or normal, will I have all the godly relics I collected on Titan?

I know you cant use them in HIGHER difficulties, but not sure about lower. Even if you activate any items or costumes in later playthroughs it deactivates trophys anyhow.

Ezio

So, I got my ultimate edition, opened it up and all I got was the game and artbook. No soundtracks, no codes, nadda. Already have a ticket open with ebgames.com

The game itself, as I'm sure has been said here many times, is amazing.

Yeah GOW3 is locking great etc. but what is it with the double jumps and glides? It's so hard to perfom and I fell down some shitty hole I would've never fell down in GOW 1 and 2..

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Patrick Bateman said:
Yeah GOW3 is locking great etc. but what is it with the double jumps and glides? It's so hard to perfom and I fell down some shitty hole I would've never fell down in GOW 1 and 2..
Platforming has never been God of War's strong suit. It happens.

Spasm

Patrick Bateman said:
I haven't had any issues with double-jump/glide. You are pressing X only twice, right? Tap X (jump), press and hold X (2nd jump+glide). I've seen some people in here mention pressing jump 3 times, which would screw it up.

Anyhow, I've been taking my sweet time on Titan (10 hours so far, ~160 deaths). I just had to
kill Hephaestus
. That made me
sad
. Far and away my favorite character in the game. I am hereby declaring that
Rip Torn's
voice work, is the best in any video game ever. EVER.

Top Bottom