• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Animator

Combichristoffersen said:
If you seriously think that fuckshit craptastic dick-awful puzzle was 'fantastic', you, my good man, are a very, very twisted person :|

I am guessing thats a alt account for Dogenzaka in his quest for trying to get everyone to agree that gow 3 is really not that good.

Why are you guys loving this game! I didnt!

How can this game look this good, just when you think you have seen it look its best it keeps getting better. I dont want it to end about 6 hours in now i guess not long left which is making me sad panda. Kratos is one bad motherfucker.:lol

Magnus

4445007399_5cba830215_b.jpg

Is that a trick of design, like those floor paintings that look like a three-dimensional abyss when you glance at them from the side?

Halcyon

I got to the part where the demo was last night. It's such an improvement. I'm so relieved that the final game ended up as it did. I was worried that the framerate and stuttering problems in the demo would be in the final game, and they're not. There's a few framerate slowdowns in the game but it's the kinda stuff I can live with.

I can't play again till saturday, but i'm looking forward to it very much.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Callibretto said:
want to know something even more crazy? apparently Stig estimates they're only pushing about 60%-70% of ps3 power and confident they can push it even more for their next game.

sounds crazy, Naughty Dog also said something similar when they first release Uncharted 1.

Didn't Stig estimate 50-60% Cell utilisation? 60-70% was Uncharted: DF, IIRC.

A.R.K

played some more last night and this game is just unfuckingbelievable!!! I can't believe what I see is running in real-time. The IQ is just insane and and its still so fucking smooth. I have just played bits of GOW2 long time back so I am still learning the combat system and tricks. Taking my sweet time to finish the game.

SSM has moved to the #1 spot among Sony devs (for now :D)

Dogenzaka

Banned
Animator said:
I am guessing thats a alt account for Dogenzaka in his quest for trying to get everyone to agree that gow 3 is really not that good.

What in the fuck are you talking about? God of War 3 is awesome. It has some flaws like every game, which fuckers snorting their lines of hype coke should get over and accept, but it is still amazing and I haven't been trying to convince anyone who thinks one way or another that God of War 3 is not good. It does somethings better than the previous games, somethings not as good. But it's still an incredible game.

Get your glasses, you old fucking coot.

KnightM7

Banned
So yeah I just found out that you can use
Hades weapon to summon a gorgon to turn enemies to stone.

That would have been helpful to use against the satyrs..

Dogenzaka

Banned
KnightM7 said:
So yeah I just found out that you can use
Hades weapon to summon a gorgon to turn enemies to stone.

That would have been helpful to use against the satyrs..

Seriously. That's the ONLY way I got past that
cerberus fight with all the satyrs

NeoUltima

On the XMB, looking at the dates of the trailers...They are all from 1/10/2010...So the game was gold and being manufactured since then? wild

Unless they just had the trailers on the discs and put the game data on later.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
NeoUltima said:
On the XMB, looking at the dates of the trailers...They are all from 1/10/2010...So the game was gold and being manufactured since then? wild

Unless they just had the trailers on the discs and put the game data on later.
I think the game went gold sometime in early February. That's probably just the date the final trailers were submitted.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dogenzaka said:
I'll say this:
It shouldn't take you more than 2 tries if you you let the block rest on the ledges between Poseidon Rages and square-square-triangle. Easy shit.

Using magic is for casuals.

Seriously though, that puzzle just reeks of poor game design. I'd even say it's far worse than the bladed columns in Hades.

Dogenzaka

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I think the game went gold sometime in early February. That's probably just the date the final trailers were submitted.

That's about right. It's been gold for a while now.

Seriously though, that puzzle just reeks of poor game design. I'd even say it's far worse than the bladed columns in Hades.

While the design was probably pretty dumb, I didn't have trouble with the bladed columns in Hades, either. I was surprised to get that trophy for climbing it unscathed. I found them pretty easy.

I'm just weird though, because I'm also an expert at platforming in LittleBigPlanet, and I never had any trouble with jumping/gliding in God of War 3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think I'm getting near the end, at the
Giant Scorpion fight
, but I'd have to say the most disappoint part of the game was the
fight with Cronos. Visuals aside(that part looked insane, obviously), it was incredibly difficult for me to engage myself in that fight due to how ridiculous it was. They basically made Cronos a giant moron which makes it not very satisfying to kill, when he says lines like "AHHH, Kratos, when I get my sight back...I WILL DESTROY YOU!" or "AHH, my eyes, I cannot see" just sounded really farfetched.

There was also the segment where he takes his other hand and tries to smash you, kratos uses the blade to slice the hand, and Cronos raises the hand Kratos has been on that whole time, lifts it so kratos is hanging, and keeps saying lines asking where he was...wtf? I loved the Hades and Hercules fights, which basically makes me wish there was more normal sized fights(within reason, since both of them were pretty big). I know a Titan is really hard to make as an opponent, but I still wouldn't praise it how it was done here.

LowParry

So yeah...beat the game. Titan Mode. What a fucking trip that was.

The ending. Wow. It was obvious that he was going to stab himself but to just leave it hanging there was strange. I also found it strange when Kratos finds Pandora and Athena together in the Labyrinth when she's crying out to be saved from Zeus. It struck me as if the two were up to something but that didn't turn out to be the case at all. Plot hole? Or just strange circumstances. But with Kratos' body just up and missing, I can see a possible God of War 4 out of this. With Athena, I think there is some unanswered questions about her role in all of it. She wanted that power. Why? For what? To create a new world? She seemed to have a lot more involvement in the background. Eh. Who knows. Cronus...what a fucking way to go though. :lol And Hercules? Wow. This game seriously hit the high tone with violence. The overall experience of the series was fantastic. I hope to see the franchise expand into something new.

The sound in this game is remarkable. The way the bass would hit off with the Gods speaking is so fucking awesome. Good game! Fucking epic journey! I want more!

Dogenzaka

Banned
CcrooK said:
So yeah...beat the game. Titan Mode. What a fucking trip that was.

The ending. Wow. It was obvious that he was going to stab himself but to just leave it hanging there was strange. I also found it strange when Kratos finds Pandora and Athena together in the Labyrinth when she's crying out to be saved from Zeus. It struck me as if the two were up to something but that didn't turn out to be the case at all. Plot hole? Or just strange circumstances. But with Kratos' body just up and missing, I can see a possible God of War 4 out of this. With Athena, I think there is some unanswered questions about her role in all of it. She wanted that power. Why? For what? To create a new world? She seemed to have a lot more involvement in the background. Eh. Who knows. Cronus...what a fucking way to go though. :lol And Hercules? Wow. This game seriously hit the high tone with violence. The overall experience of the series was fantastic. I hope to see the franchise expand into something new.

The sound in this game is remarkable. The way the bass would hit off with the Gods speaking is so fucking awesome. Good game! Fucking epic journey! I want more!

Agreed
The part with Cronos' intestines coming out....I had to cover my mouth from the gasping

Animator

Dogenzaka said:
What in the fuck are you talking about? God of War 3 is awesome. It has some flaws like every game, which fuckers snorting their lines of hype coke should get over and accept, but it is still amazing and I haven't been trying to convince anyone who thinks one way or another that God of War 3 is not good. It does somethings better than the previous games, somethings not as good. But it's still an incredible game.

Get your glasses, you old fucking coot.

Hahah you could have fooled me.

Dont get mad man. relax.:lol

Raist

Banned
Just bought it. Whoo.

Never finished GoWI and haven't played GoWII
(in before people calling blasphemy)
so I hope it won't downgrade the experience too much.

Time to fire it up.

edit: heh, requires a FW update. First time I see this.

Raist said:
Just bought it. Whoo.

Never finished GoWI and haven't played GoWII
(in before people calling blasphemy)
so I hope it won't downgrade the experience too much.

Time to fire it up.

BLASPHEMER!!!

But really, you should've finished the first 2. They are still quality games, and make the third even better IMO. It's great to see Kratos with all of the scars of war, and things you got in the first game.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Animator said:
Hahah you could have fooled me.

Dont get mad man. relax.:lol

Sorry, lol, but I just get riled up when people have the mindset that new games are unquestionable and "perfect". I have my issues with God of War 3, but it's still part of a trilogy that I love and it's still one of the best games I've played this year. It's not unreasonable to discuss things that I think could have been improved, but even then, I try not to really talk about them outside the Spoiler thread.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i am kinda dissapointed by the ending... after all that hype from the SHOCKING twist, i was waiting and it never really happened...

seeing the blood on the cliff so he fell in the water, big whoopdiedoo, hes prob dead either way.

Melfice7

Dogenzaka said:
Seriously. That's the ONLY way I got past that
cerberus fight with all the satyrs

i did it like this..
1st stage: kicking the dogs back at him, 2nd stage: army of sparta lvl 3, 3rd stage: L3 + R3 :D

I am dying to finish this game but other crap has got in the way. I got to the final boss fight Wednesday night and couldn't get past it. Haven't played it since and it's killing me. :mad: Also, I've gotten used to uncovering spoiler tags since I've played most of the game and accidentally uncovered some stuff about the ending. Not really any complete sentences, though so I don't really know what happens. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't want to start the game before I finish Heavy Rain, but this thread is literally taunting me. I want to play through the opening at least!

John said:
All the puzzles are dull, too, nothing more than pressing the obvious switch. Remember those beautiful sections of God of War I where combat and puzzle were integrated, like pushing a soldier in a cage uphill into a sacrificial pit while fending off enemies?
That scene was memorable because of the sacrifice, but I don't know if I'd really call it a puzzle. I guess it was more like a skill puzzle thank thinking puzzle maybe. I much prefered a couple of puzzles in the second game.

As for GoW3 puzzles, I've heard that some are easy early on, but then there were some nice
portal-like
puzzles in the game at places. So you're saying that's not true.

mr_nothin

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Sorry, lol, but I just get riled up when people have the mindset that new games are unquestionable and "perfect". I have my issues with God of War 3, but it's still part of a trilogy that I love and it's still one of the best games I've played this year. It's not unreasonable to discuss things that I think could have been improved, but even then, I try not to really talk about them outside the Spoiler thread.
Sooooo, you're a Debbie Downer? XD

Don

Just started playing this a few minutes ago, but is there something wrong with the sound the full game? Most of the sound effects and background music seem very low and muted even compared to the demo.

I remember playing the demo and being really impressed with the sound quality and the audio feedback of each attack, but now in the full game everything sounds kind of weak.

Pimpbaa

Don said:
Just started playing this a few minutes ago, but is there something wrong with the sound the full game? Most of the sound effects and background music seem very low and muted even compared to the demo.

Yeah I noticed this too.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Don said:

I remember playing the demo and being really impressed with the sound quality and the audio feedback of each attack, but now in the full game everything sounds kind of weak.

The sound quality is absolutely amazing on my system. Check your options.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Don said:

What kind of system do you have? Check the options. They could be set at 7.1 Surround.

Dizzle24

Beat the game a few hours ago...awesome ride the entire time.

SUPER MEGA ULTIMATE ENDING SPOILERS AHEAD

Don't say I didn't warn you!! :D

The ending was kinda "meh."

I get the whole thing with Kratos sacrificing himself/the power of Hope and letting mankind have it instead of Athena, but the whole thing didn't feel either like a cliffhanger or like it the story was wrapped up. Sure, he got his vengeance, but what are we supposed to interpret from the ending?

Is the world going to start over, with mankind having hope?
Where did Athena go?
Did Kratos jump off the cliff after stabbing himself just to "finish the job"

I have a feeling that there will be another game, and it will start like the last 2 games; Kratos falling from a cliff and is saved by "someone." This time it's because he sacrificed himself to save mankind (sort of) and just like Athena was rewarded for sacrificing herself to save Zeus, Kratos will probably be rewarded for sacrificing himself at the end. I'm calling it now!!:lol :lol

John

Combichristoffersen said:
If you seriously think that fuckshit craptastic dick-awful puzzle was 'fantastic', you, my good man, are a very, very twisted person :|
Hey, it was an original idea, shocking, and satisfying. I usually hate overly challenging obstacles in games, but I never had too much trouble on that one, even on hard mode. Maybe a better example would be pushing the block against the treadmill so you can get up higher while little enemies spawn on you in the desert, or the corpse-and-water-circle room in GoWII (though in that game the puzzles relied too much on the good ol' "ignore the first switch you see, then press the second one around the corner" trick. I started ignoring switches by the end of the game because I knew they weren't going to do anything at first).

Animator said:

Everyone with a different opinion has an agenda or is a troll. Of course.

I beat it now and watched some of the videos. When Stig announced to the team that
they were going to have a battle in his head and that the theme of the game would be "the power of hope,"
why didn't anyone go "NOOOOOOOO that is stupid what are you doing"

I can never trust again.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Dizzle24 said:
Beat the game a few hours ago...awesome ride the entire time.

SUPER MEGA ULTIMATE ENDING SPOILERS AHEAD

Don't say I didn't warn you!! :D

The ending was kinda "meh."

I get the whole thing with Kratos sacrificing himself/the power of Hope and letting mankind have it instead of Athena, but the whole thing didn't feel either like a cliffhanger or like it the story was wrapped up. Sure, he got his vengeance, but what are we supposed to interpret from the ending?

Is the world going to start over, with mankind having hope?
Where did Athena go?
Did Kratos jump off the cliff after stabbing himself just to "finish the job"

I have a feeling that there will be another game, and it will start like the last 2 games; Kratos falling from a cliff and is saved by "someone." This time it's because he sacrificed himself to save mankind (sort of) and just like Athena was rewarded for sacrificing herself to save Zeus, Kratos will probably be rewarded for sacrificing himself at the end. I'm calling it now!!:lol :lol

The funniest thing is....
what mankind? Mankind is dead/will be completely dead. Hope won't save that. There is a plague that is killing every man on earth. Plantlife is dead. The sun is gone. The seas have flooded the earth. Death itself is in chaos from Hades' death. There is nothing to rebuild or regenerate. :l

MrPliskin

Banned
Le-mo said:
So true, when I saw the PlayStation buttons I thought I was going crazy. :lol
The fact that they were actually COLORED like playstation buttons annoyed me. The whole segment was poo.

It would have been better had it not been Guitar Hero Lite.

They should have mapped the analog sticks and triggers so you were "pulling" strings.

Don

AgentWhiskersX said:
What kind of system do you have? Check the options. They could be set at 7.1 Surround.
I'm only using my TV speakers with the in game setting on stereo.

Seems strange how muffled it sounds compared to the demo which sounded great.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Don said:
I'm only using my TV speakers with the in game setting on stereo.

Seems strange how muffled it sounds compared to the demo which sounded great.
That's pretty weird dude. It sounded fine on my 5.1 setup.

MrPliskin

Banned
John said:
Hey, it was an original idea, shocking, and satisfying. I usually hate overly challenging obstacles in games, but I never had too much trouble on that one, even on hard mode. Maybe a better example would be pushing the block against the treadmill so you can get up higher while little enemies spawn on you in the desert, or the corpse-and-water-circle room in GoWII (though in that game the puzzles relied too much on the good ol' "ignore the first switch you see, then press the second one around the corner" trick. I started ignoring switches by the end of the game because I knew they weren't going to do anything at first).

Everyone with a different opinion has an agenda or is a troll. Of course.

I beat it now and watched some of the videos. When Stig announced to the team that they were going to have a battle in his head and that the theme of the game would be "the power of hope," why didn't anyone go "NOOOOOOOO that is stupid what are you doing"

I can never trust again.
What exactly was "puzzle-esque" about that? A puzzle, to me, requires thought. Everything in that sequence was spelled out and silly. I didn't find anything "good" in that "sequence" (it certainly wasn't a puzzle).

Dogenzaka said:
The funniest thing is....
what mankind? Mankind is dead/will be completely dead. Hope won't save that. There is a plague that is killing every man on earth. Plantlife is dead. The sun is gone. The seas have flooded the earth. Death itself is in chaos from Hades' death. There is nothing to rebuild or regenerate. :l

After the credits you can see that the sun has returned, it's likely that Kratos releasing the power to the world will restore it and end the chaos.

John said:
Remember those beautiful sections of God of War I where combat and puzzle were integrated, like pushing a soldier in a cage uphill into a sacrificial pit while fending off enemies? Of course you do, because it was fucking awesome.
That's one of the most ridiculed and hated sections of GoW1.:lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
John said:

Honestly, I don't think it was neither very original, nor very satisfying. It was a poorly designed, unpolished 'puzzle' that was more frustrating than engaging or entertaining. As for the treadmill room, it was relatively easy, as you could just attack the spiked wheel thing until it broke and the treadmill stopped, and the circle-water-room puzzle was easy (as soon as you just worked out what you were supposed to do).

Blablurn

woah, had a little bug where the game stopped playing. had the loading omega for about half a minute. thank god it continued. i didn't save for a long time time...

Top Bottom