• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

rhino4evr

Question: how do I upscale to 1080p? Can I? When I start up the game it changes from 1080p to 720p

is this something I need to change in my tv or on my ps3?

John

Dogenzaka said:
The funniest thing is....
what mankind? Mankind is dead/will be completely dead. Hope won't save that. There is a plague that is killing every man on earth. Plantlife is dead. The sun is gone. The seas have flooded the earth. Death itself is in chaos from Hades' death. There is nothing to rebuild or regenerate. :l
Really, it's more like "what mankind" as in... what mankind? Where are they? There are other humans here? We've seen maybe five since the first game, besides the tortured ones, who are immortalized by being part of legendary stories and don't count thematically. There aren't any "ordinary people" in the game, so how does this lead to the ultimate culmination of the series? It doesn't make any sense.

MrPliskin said:
What exactly was "puzzle-esque" about that? A puzzle, to me, requires thought. Everything in that sequence was spelled out and silly. I didn't find anything "good" in that "sequence" (it certainly wasn't a puzzle).
Well if that's the case then there aren't any puzzles in God of War III either. But part of my point is that it's neither strictly combat nor puzzle/whatever you want to call it.

kaskade

Blablurn said:
woah, had a little bug where the game stopped playing. had the loading omega for about half a minute. thank god it continued. i didn't save for a long time time...
The game autosaves now. You probably wouldn't have lost too much progress.

ShinAmano

So I am playing on whatever is the hardest difficulty out of the box and have gotten a couple of hours in...I want to bring my ps3 out to a friends place so friends can start the game from the beginning...this should be ok as to not mess with my save right?

KingGondo

Banned
exarkun said:
How long is it taking people to beat the game? Hopefully more than 15? I know God o War II was pretty long.
Took me 8 or 9 hours, but it's not disappointing in the least. No filler whatsoever, plus when you finish you'll be dying to replay it.

ShinAmano said:
So I am playing on whatever is the hardest difficulty out of the box and have gotten a couple of hours in...I want to bring my ps3 out to a friends place so friends can start the game from the beginning...this should be ok as to not mess with my save right?
Yep. :D

ShinAmano

CrayzeeCarl said:
Awesome! ...only thing that sucks is my friends tv has no HDMI...going to pick up some component cables on the way.

Edit...I know this is how all the GoWs are, but I hate the fact that you can't change costumes mid game...

ShinAmano said:
Awesome! ...only thing that sucks is my friends tv has no HDMI...going to pick up some component cables on the way.

If he uses your account and starts a new game, he could accidentally save over your save files. To be safe, make a PSN account for him on your PS3.

ShinAmano

Kos Luftar said:
If he uses your account and starts a new game, he could accidentally save over your save files. To be safe, make a PSN account for him on your PS3.
Not a bad idea...I will be there the whole time though so I may or may not do this.

Other than that I just don't want him passing me in the game ;)

ShinAmano said:
Not a bad idea...I will be there the whole time though so I may or may not do this.

Other than that I just don't want him passing me in the game ;)
When you save, it defaults to creating a new save file, so he would have to explicitly choose an existing save and confirm to overwrite it. Still not a bad idea, though. You may not even have to actually create a PSN account. It may be as simple as adding a system user.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Ok so I'm stuck. I'm sure I'm missing something completely obvious but any help would be appreciated.

I'm right after the part where you make the mammary exposed woman hold the gate wheel, you get through and enter a part where you spin these mechanisms to create bridges. I get to the last one where the lever is broke on the mechanism and can't figure out what to do. The camera points me in the direction of another area I can't get to via the wings, or trigger something with the bow. When you first try using the mechanism it shows a statue like you're supposed to do something with it, but the camera focuses on a different area across the way. I keep dying trying different things.

wtf

Finally finished. Definitely the best last boss battle of the series. Unfortunately I was 5000 souls light of completely upgrading everything and I missed a horn and eye. I will replay the game on normal now to allow myself to take in more of the sights and get some trophies.

While I can't say it is the best ending of a video game, I do think it is a good way to close things out.

With the exception of a few frustrating parts the game was fantastic, though I do feel it was a bit light on the combat compared to the other entries in the series. With that said, I doubt I will be able to look at GOW and GOW 2 the same as many of the advancements to the combat system in GOW 3 seem so necessary.

belvedere said:
Ok so I'm stuck. I'm sure I'm missing something completely obvious but any help would be appreciated.

I'm right after the part where you make the mammary exposed woman hold the gate wheel, you get through and enter a part where you spin these mechanisms to create bridges. I get to the last one where the lever is broke on the mechanism and can't figure out what to do. The camera points me in the direction of another area I can't get to via the wings, or trigger something with the bow. When you first try using the mechanism it shows a statue like you're supposed to do something with it, but the camera focuses on a different area across the way. I keep dying trying different things.

wtf
You can't fix the broken lever yet...Go back to the previous bridge piece and turn it again, this time towards the building, not the other bridge.

belvedere

Junior Butler
CrayzeeCarl said:
You can't fix the broken lever yet...Go back to the previous bridge piece and turn it again, this time towards the building, not the other bridge.

OMG, you're kidding.

:lol

Thanks.

Zero Hero

This stupid
music game mini game that is like a sideways rock band board is infuriating!
I came the closest to throwing my controller than I have in 20 years. :lol

Just a heads up the trade in 2 select games get God of War III or FFXIII for 19.99 at GS didn't work for me. I traded in 2 games on the list but still owed 38 bucks. The employee told me he guesses it means it's only valid for pre-orders even though the offer is valid until April and the fine print says nothing about that. It's most likely the trade-in values subject to change without notice clause, so beware.

Blablurn

just finished the game. wow. santa monica studios did an awesome work. just look at the graphics. omg. and i also liked the controls. never used so money different attacks in a god of war game :lol

rhino4evr

GillianSeed79 said:
Just a heads up the trade in 2 select games get God of War III or FFXIII for 19.99 at GS didn't work for me. I traded in 2 games on the list but still owed 38 bucks. The employee told me he guesses it means it's only valid for pre-orders even though the offer is valid until April and the fine print says nothing about that. It's most likely the trade-in values subject to change without notice clause, so beware.
Yeah that's a scam to get you in the store. They want new releases. Doesn't make sense to trade in games when you can sell them in eBay make cash and then buy them in sale via amazon

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Zero Hero said:
This stupid
Seriously? I beat that shit on the first try. What's so hard about it?

hoping that boss batch 3 shit doesn't hold me back from getting the platinum on GoW II.

P.S. I will have the platinum for GoW I and GoW II after this weekend! making a run for both platinum's this weekend. never touched GoW II.

P.S.S. Wish me luck!

Finnished (Titan mode) and....best game I've played this gen. I am completely awestruck of how awesome the combat and visuals were. I can only hope that other developers can keep up with this and bring me more games of this caliber. I thirst for more. My take on the game:

+ Through MLAA technology, a seamless lightning engine, motion blur and 30-60 fps, the image quality of God of War exceeds the best of the best console games currently available
+ As natural as Helios emits a blinding white of sunlight, Kratos radiates anger and determination with every breath he takes. The character model is the most impressive ever conceived
+ Art direction should not only be aesthically pleasing. The titans themselves are used as gigantic and dynamic set pieces. They move and even fight and it all looks amazing and seamless
+ Rich in Greek mythological creatures, earthly heroes and Olympic deities, God of War demonstrates creature and character design of epic creativity and resonance
++ The soundtrack is as good as the visuals, which is of no surprise. The music is simply exceptional
+ The rattling of the chains of Exile, the stabbing sound of blade into flesh, the booming sound of the Cestus are what makes this game especially visceral and awesome
+ The VA is very well done with talents like Malcom Mcdowell, Rip Torn and Kevin Sorbo. Kratos voiced by Terrence Carson is as angry and entertaining as ever
++ Only the few great developers (Nintendo, Blizzard) understand that gameplay resonates through animation independent control and Sony have their own in Santa Monica's GoW series
+ The weapons in GoW3 are the best in the series, especially the Nemean Cestus rivals the Blades of Exile themselves. The way you switch weapons is the greatest improvement over past God of Wars
+ The bossfights are among the best in the series and they are awesome, visceral, brutal, challenging and entertaining. GoW 3 might have the best set of bossfights
+ What have previously been imbalanced, a tad frustrating or shallow in the past, enemy AI has been polished to annihilate these hard edges and Santa Monica has done a great job
+ The QTE has been improved aswell with the positioning of the buttons, in sync with the controller. Your eyes don’t need to stray from the awesome bloodsoaked butchering
+ The metagaming: puzzles, platforming, flights, climbing, mini-games, QTE finishes are balanced in a sense that these are all part of the game as much as the combat is
+ The head of Helios, the boots of Hermes and the returning bow of Apollo are, like the weapons, wonderful and usable items. The new Item bar makes spamming impossible
- Double jumping has as previous God of Wars a narrow window of succes. Combined with some obscure camera and the dynamic angles, it makes for unnecessary deaths
-
The Hermes chase
is awesome and a creatively implemented bossfight. I just can't help to think it could have been more amazing and be a potential highlight of the entire game
- The story is compared to GoW2 timid. The epic scale of adventure and exploration of GoW2 has been toned down, although GoW3 does reach greater heights in some parts

Utilising great art design and state of the art technology, mold it into something so grand, so absurd in epicness, Santa Monica's first entry in this generation needs to be experienced : 9/10

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
3wsbul.jpg

The guy at the 7-11 didn't feel right selling me cups without the drink so he said I can have them for free. I felt bad so I gave him 2 bucks for the cost of the drink. Now time to get my Morpheus armor.

Zero Hero said:
This stupid

i hated that minigame....who ever came up with that should be fired...

Dogenzaka

Banned
The story is not crap. But its consistency is a little weird. It starts off great, becomes not what you'd expect, but still interesting, and then provides sorts of lulz as it approaches the end.

How is the number of bosses in GoW 3? More than GoW 1, less than GoW 2, something inbetween?

There are
bosses if I recall.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dogenzaka said:
The story is not crap. But its consistency is a little weird. It starts off great, becomes not what you'd expect, but still interesting, and then provides sorts of lulz as it approaches the end.

There are
bosses if I recall.

So it's about
half the number
of the bosses in GoW II (if you count minibosses and bosses, there are
in GoW II).

Just took that Kratos poster to the framing shop to get it framed. $109! Damn. Paid it though. Hope it has some liquidity if I don't want it anymore.

Trevelyan

Banned
So this has really been bugging me. Why does the ESRB rating say Strong Language? Is telling someone you're going to kill them now the same as saying 'fuck' ?

DeadGzuz

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:

Not true, when I traded in my two they did not qualify, but were clearly on the list. The guy overrode the computer and gave me my $40 credit. I would demand it. Mine was a pre-order.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Trevelyan said:
So this has really been bugging me. Why does the ESRB rating say Strong Language? Is telling someone you're going to kill them now the same as saying 'fuck' ?

Probably referring to the 'making of'-videos, I guess.

FUCKKKING SHIT

For some reason, my blades keep switching mid combat and I'm not doing anything to press them. What the hell. I'm mid air doing a L1+O combo and then it switches to the
Claws of Hades
for some reason. I switch it back and it keeps doing that.

This shit is fucking me up real bad. WTFF

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
GillianSeed79 said:
That's strange. 3 days ago I traded in inFamous and LBP and got FFXIII for $20.99. Sounds like you got shafted.

Trevelyan

Banned
effingvic said:
FUCKKKING SHIT

For some reason, my blades keep switching mid combat and I'm not doing anything to press them. What the hell. I'm mid air doing a L1+O combo and then it switches to the
Claws of Hades

Are you hitting L1+X accidently? I know I did a few times before I got used to that combo being a weapon quick change.

effingvic said:
FUCKKKING SHIT

Claws of Hades

Are you sure you're not pressing L1+X by accident? Because that does switch weapons.

John said:
I beat it now and watched some of the videos. When Stig announced to the team that they were going to have a ... and that the theme of the game would be ... why didn't anyone go "NOOOOOOOO that is stupid what are you doing"

I can never trust again.

I really hope that's not a spoiler. If it is, thanks a lot.... (I have only played up to the 3rd boss, not counting Helios [guy from demo].)

Rikyfree

Animator said:
Easy is basicly god mode. I am playing it now to finish up on hophies and its hilarious how easy it is :lol
Normal was the same for me. Hell, I was expecting hard to be impossible, but it's just like playing on normal for me. So far.... /knock on wood. I'm currently on track to finish the game in around 8-9 hours for hard.

Top Bottom