• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the more I stew on the game the more... well, not disappointed, as such, just a tad underwhelmed.

its big set-piece moments like the intro, the ending or the
chronos
/other boss fights were great, totally excellent in so many ways, but all the connective tissue just doesn't seem up to the same level God 2 was.

I think, in a weird way, my perception of this game was hurt by Uncharted 2. Both this and UC2 are games that are the typical linear adventure game that rely on 'jaw-dropping set-pieces(R)' to make the player go wow, and I think UC2 dampened God 3's impact somewhat.

Awesome camera design? UC2 trumps it. Environmental diversity? UC2 trumps it. Fighting on moving platforms? UC2 did it. Cutscene direction/animation/VA? UC2 trumps it. General combat versus other task pacing? UC2 trumps it.

God 3 does have a nice inter-connected cohesive world, though, which is something God 1 had that God 2 didn't which I missed, but unlike God 1, God 3's inter-connected world seemed to come at the cost of environmental diversity.

It just seems to me that while God 3 and UC2 are mechanically different (shooter versus brawler), a lot of the cards they play are the same; they're more alike than they are different, and as such, it feels like UC2 beat it to the punch.

Great game, just not in the same tier as God 2 or Uncharted 2 or [MEGA BLOCKBUSTER GAME C] in my opinion. It's really good, but it won't be one I think of come time for GOTY or anything like that. In that sense, it's disappointing, but only because I had such mammoth expectations.

poisonelf

Rez, I'll have to agree 100%. Backtracking and limited areas killed diversity of locations that are so much a part of such games. I was writing exactly the same criticism in the 'spoiler thread' but don't want to copy/paste from my own post here.

I find this along with the decline of puzzle quality to be the game's greatest drawbacks from being a masterpiece.

dentoomw said:
Just finished it.
Is there a bad/good ending? The ending didn't seem that great - Kratos stabs himself and Athena lived. Plus what did Zeus mean when he told Gaea she should have picked the other one???

Possibly Kratos' brother? Or the character of the next game!

Plus, I didn't know this till afterwards that Kevin Sorbo is the voice of Hercules.

JaxJag said:
About the ending.

When Kratos is laying on the ground dying, the camera pans out and it looks like he's laying on a phoenix.

Is that a sign that will rise from the ashes and be in future games? I don't know what else it could mean...

You didn't watch after the credits did you?

JaxJag

Banned
About the ending.

When Kratos is laying on the ground dying, the camera pans out and it looks like he's laying on a phoenix.

Is that a sign that will rise from the ashes and be in future games? I don't know what else it could mean...

LowParry

Rez said:
Great game, just not in the same tier as God 2 or Uncharted 2 or [MEGA BLOCKBUSTER GAME C] in my opinion. It's really good, but it won't be one I think of come time for GOTY or anything like that. In that sense, it's disappointing, but only because I had such mammoth expectations.

Well there's your ultimate problem right there. Blackout media on games you know you'll want to play. The end result is pretty damn satisfying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
CcrooK said:
Well there's your ultimate problem right there. Blackout media on games you know you'll want to play. The end result is pretty damn satisfying.
well, to be fair, I was pretty much on total media blackout, outside of the initial trailer and demo and some screenshots.

I had the 'wow, if this is what they've shown, imagine what they haven't!' mode, and it just turned out that what they hadn't shown wasn't all that different from the very little I had seen.

Melfice7

so im replaying the game, and theres a fucking bug thats scaring me.. right after getting
hades weapon
if i try using magic with it, the game freezes, cant even open xmb

what gives :s didnt happen the first playthrough

LowParry

Rez said:
well, to be fair, I was pretty much on total media blackout, outside of the initial trailer and demo and some screenshots.

I had the 'wow, if this is what they've shown, imagine what they haven't!' mode, and it just turned out that what they hadn't shown wasn't all that different from the very little I had seen.

The comparison between UC2 and GoW3. It's iffy on both ends though. I'd have to play through UC2 again but with the two games being different types, the focus goes better than the other. In ways, GoW has better set pieces than UC2, and visa versa.

slider

My copy hasn't arrived yet. It'll be here either on Tues or the following Monday. Quite excited but GOW, despite a fascinating story and a bad-ass anti-hero, isn't really my sort of thing.

Still, as I said I'm excited. I want to play it before the inevitable backlash begins.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I stand by the comparison, in that, if I hadn't played UC2 than I might be appreciating God 3 more. Because a lot of the improvements God 3 brings over God 2 were presentation-based in a lot of ways, and UC2 hit those notes harder and better, in my opinion.

That being said, some of my favourite bits of God 3 were the new additions to core gameplay. The gauntlet weapon were the first weapons in a God of War game that actually felt like a cool alternative to the main blades, the Rage of Sparta effects and weapon-change was awesome, and the ability to spin boxes around with the right stick was a geeky mini 'omg!' moment (that wasn't in God 2, was it?).

It only does incremental upgrades to box puzzles (and I fucking love it).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Goddamn Uncharted 2 pops up in every thread on GAF.

Naughty Dog, I hate your fucking Uncharted games. Absolutely loathe them. And you haven't made a good game since the first J&D game anyway :mad:

I just want you to make Crash Bandicoot games again :(

JaxJag

Banned
Uncharted 2 was certainly more consistent than God of War 3 in terms of visuals.

In God of War 3 you'll come across an area that looks amazing, close to CG.

Then you walk into the next area and are like "yeah, what happened here".

It's weird, jarring at times.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Near the end game boss spoilers:
Whoever designed the Scorpion boss is a giant douchebag. This has been the most annoying and frustrating part of the game for me, when it shouldn't be...I've been on Titan the whole time, never even got stuck on Hades or Hercules like a lot of people seem too, but this guy I was. Why? Shitty hit detection. I was getting nipped by his claw, lost half my life, and it was nowhere near me. This coupled with using the cestus which lunges you forward constantly is annoying as hell. And the second set of legs...after those were gone, what happened? I went to punch him in the face, saw the O prompt, mashed O ahead of time expecting Kratos to do the same move again, but nooope. Instead it made me miss the square, and ALL OF HIS LEGS CAME BACK. QTEs are so fucking dumb.

I beat it now, but wow...I also died once after getting the first leg because all the little scorpions that come while it's falling to the ground ganged up on me and hit me all at once for my entire lifebar while the camera wasn't even showing me...good design. Also died a few times at the flying part after, because apparently I was hitting the ice chunks even though I wasn't.

PowderedToast

i really don't like the muted colour scheme and i'm not finding many of the environments memorable at all. the writing also seems to be a tad worse than in the previous games though that might be due to my poor memory.

other than that the game is quite fun. not much more can be said about the technical aspects, it really is a stunning achievement in that department. the combat is very solid, the subtle changes are actually more effective than i thought they'd be. but yeah, the reason i like the series so much is because it's always put major thought into environment & level design, which has never been a strong suite of the genre. yet when i went into
the cavern full of huge cubes i thought they where taking the piss for a second. that's what they came up with, really?
played about 6 hours and it just doesn't stack up in that regard, at least so far.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Papercuts said:
Whoever designed the Scorpion boss is a giant douchebag. This has been the most annoying and frustrating part of the game for me, when it shouldn't be...I've been on Titan the whole time, never even got stuck on Hades or Hercules like a lot of people seem too, but this guy I was. Why? Shitty hit detection. I was getting nipped by his claw, lost half my life, and it was nowhere near me. This coupled with using the cestus which lunges you forward constantly is annoying as hell. And the second set of legs...after those were gone, what happened? I went to punch him in the face, saw the O prompt, mashed O ahead of time expecting Kratos to do the same move again, but nooope. Instead it made me miss the square, and ALL OF HIS LEGS CAME BACK. QTEs are so fucking dumb.

I beat it now, but wow...I also died once after getting the first leg because all the little scorpions that come while it's falling to the ground ganged up on me and hit me all at once for my entire lifebar while the camera wasn't even showing me...good design. Also died a few times at the flying part after, because apparently I was hitting the ice chunks even though I wasn't.

I played the first time on Titan too, I agree fuck this boss

Rez said:
I stand by the comparison, in that, if I hadn't played UC2 than I might be appreciating God 3 more. Because a lot of the improvements God 3 brings over God 2 were presentation-based in a lot of ways, and UC2 hit those notes harder and better, in my opinion.

there could be a couple other reason as well that make you prefer uncharted 2 more, maybe you just like shooter better than hack and slash action game. personally, I like God of War 3 more than Uncharted 2 so far.

I think the pacing is better in God of War 3 because it have more diversity. in Uncharted 2, core gameplay is shooting guys and they don't play much different most of the time. God of War 3 have more enemies variety, mix and match enemy types and it can create interesting fights making it feel less repetitive than Uncharted 2. GoW3 also have more puzzles and occasional mini game like icarus ascension to mix things up.

in term of presentation, they're both top of their class, but presentation style is pretty different. Uncharted is going for movie-like experiences, the cutscenes are pretty down to earth and something you can imagine seeing it in a movie. GoW3 is more over the top fantasy with crazy scale you probably won't ever see that in a life action movie, it's more gamey I guess, but some of the presentation is pretty unique and clever. camera positioning like Chimera first intro, boss battles like
Poseidon's QTE, Helios QTE, Hades chain pulling fight
are all pretty clever imo.

So, I don't think Uncharted 2 presentation hits harder and better, they're just different. and don't forget, there's always possibility that because you experience these 'PS3.5 level' presentation on Uncharted 2 first, the same level of presentation in GoW3 felt less shocking. maybe if people experience GoW3 first, then they'd find out that their enjoyment of Uncharted 2 after playing GoW3 will be lessened.

Callibretto said:
there could be a couple other reason as well that make you prefer uncharted 2 more, maybe you just like shooter better than hack and slash action game. personally, I like God of War 3 more than Uncharted 2 so far.

I think the pacing is better in God of War 3 because it have more diversity. in Uncharted 2, core gameplay is shooting guys and they don't play much different most of the time. God of War 3 have more enemies variety, mix and match enemy types and it can create interesting fights making it feel less repetitive than Uncharted 2. GoW3 also have more puzzles and occasional mini game like icarus ascension to mix things up.

in term of presentation, they're both top of their class, but presentation style is pretty different. Uncharted is going for movie-like experiences, the cutscenes are pretty down to earth and something you can imagine seeing it in a movie. GoW3 is more over the top fantasy with crazy scale you probably won't ever see that in a life action movie, it's more gamey I guess, but some of the presentation is pretty unique and clever. camera positioning like Chimera first intro, boss battles like
Poseidon's QTE, Helios QTE, Hades chain pulling fight
are all pretty clever imo.

So, I don't think Uncharted 2 presentation hits harder and better, they're just different. and don't forget, there's always possibility that because you experience these 'PS3.5 level' presentation on Uncharted 2 first, the same level of presentation in GoW3 felt less shocking. maybe if people experience GoW3 first, then they'd find out that their enjoyment of Uncharted 2 after playing GoW3 will be lessened.

I have experienced UC2 first and GoW3 does it better than UC2 in many ways. Animation, yea that was great in UC2, but c'mon Kratos is like a ballerina on steroids. The QTE scenes for example during the Poseidon fight top anything I have seen in in UC2 in terms of action and camera direction. Both games are top, but GoW3 takes it to another level, simply because it is much more over the top and visceral, than the subdued hollywood realism of UC2. But anyway taste is the big factor here since both are so good in what they do.

jiggles

Banned
I'm just past the demo part now. The experience has totally shocked me, even after seeing all the preview footage and playing the demo to death. The AV is second to none, and I'm having a very hard time believing it's my little ol' PS3 pushing this shit to the screen and speakers (the chain-swinging sound effect in DTS needs more love).

The only gripe I have with the game at the minute is that the dialogue is a fucking mess. The convincing feel of an ancient parable from the previous games (the first in particular) is gone completely. Now, we have the kind of hammy shit you'd expect to see from the WWE or something.

Everything else about the game is awesome, but when anyone apart from
Rip Goddamn Torn
opens their mouth I pretty much always roll my eyes.

Oh, also, finally being able to deal with wraiths is a GODSEND. Best addition to the gameplay for me. :D

Papercuts said:

Agreed -
my problem was the tail smash while I was trying to destroy the back legs. Dodging - especially with the cestus - was far too short and the Hermes boots autolock onto the legs so you just boost in a circle. From this point until about 30-40 minutes more game time just about destroyed my desire to play this game.

I think that UC2 is a more consistent game with more plentiful OMG action experiences.

Now, the best GOW3 moments blow Uncharted out of the water. IMO the ( GOW3 event spoilers)
hermes chase scene
doesn't compare to any of the awesome action events in Uncharted 2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rez said:
Fighting on moving platforms? UC2 did it.
GoW3 deserves credit for having soft body deformation collisions on moving objects though (titans). I'm not sure if even UC2 has this, as the moving objects you fight on there are more of mechanical in nature. Then there's amazing antialiasing they accomplished here, together with probably even better motion blur than UC2 had, and all at higher framerate. GoW3 really has quite a few technical crowns to claim on it's own, and after seeing the demo, I didn't really expect that from the game at all.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoyed the game overall...not sure if I want to trade it in now for something else.

I'd like the team to take a break from making GoW games though and to branch out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
GoW3 deserves credit for having soft body deformation collisions on moving objects though (titans). I'm not sure if even UC2 has this, as the moving objects you fight on there are more of mechanical in nature. Then there's amazing antialiasing they accomplished here, together with probably even better motion blur than UC2 had, and all at higher framerate. GoW3 really has quite a few technical crowns to claim on it's own, and after seeing the demo, I didn't really expect that from the game at all.
Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down or lessen the games technical achievements. It's a technical marvel in many respects, clearly.

Having not had any formal education on many of the specifics of how most of the tech behind this works, my perspective is very much that of a total technical layman.

It just seems like one of the unfortunate cases where they were pipped at the finishing line by their peers. It wouldn't matter as much for most other games, but for a game like God of War, a game that's all about shocking the player with new and exciting things, that five month window of having Uncharted 2 in my life has just softened the trademark God of War smack to the face.

Callibretto said:
I disagree with some of your early comments on pacing and variety and the like, but those aren't really worth arguing. What you said was fair.

The point you make here is basically the core of what I'm trying to say.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Raist said:
I hate wraiths. I HATE THEM. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.
L1+O was a godsend in this game. L1+Triangle gets them into a pretty unbreakable chain too, if you want to take the cheap way.

Speaking of hating enemies, in all the GoW games, I have never understood how to properly fight Satyrs. I'm pretty damn good at these games, but I've never worked out the proper rhythm to taking them down.

I'm not finished yet, about 6 and a half hours in, but I have to say I don't think GoWIII is as refined as GoWII. There's just little things that don't seems as tuned. Whenever I do the L1+O move against minotaurs Kratos is left hanging in mid air for a second or so in his neutral stace afterwards, like the collision detection/animation has him finishing about a foot in the air. Then of course there's the platforming bits, which while never the series strong point, feel more twitchy and less sure footed. Also I don't find the camera as well positioned in a lot of places. While it's impressive how they can zoom the camera around I feel that at times they do it to the detriment of giving the player a pratical viewpoint.

I had to stop for the night because in
the Labrynth's spike room because 3 times in a row, just as I was about to grab the harpy for the transition it divebombed, leaving me screwed over. It's good to see that GoWIII keeps up the Pillar of Hades tradition of a set piece of complete fuck up design cuntery.

B33

Banned
Stuck at the
three-headed Cerberus with exploding hell-hounds towards the end

This segment seems unreasonably difficult

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
B33 said:
Stuck at the
three-headed Cerberus with exploding hell-hounds

yeah, I died a few times there.

all of that plus the Satyres made me rage out big time.

dralla said:
loved that part. use the dogs as weapons
Wow, really? I need to try this whenever I get around to a Hard run.

B33 said:
Stuck at the
three-headed Cerberus with exploding hell-hounds

Easy,
just hit the Cerberus with a full combo when he is spewing the hellhounds, if you position yourself right you kill the hellhounds before they even reach you

Rengoku

Saw this bad boy at a comic book store today:

images%5CUC2665_1_l.jpg

images%5CUC2665_3_l.jpg

Was sooo tempted to pick it up!

Just beat
Hercules
. That entire portion of the game, I'm going to have to say, is one of the greatest moments in gaming history.

CcrooK said:
YES. Totally worth it. This game has exceeded any expectation I've had for it. Fucking incredible. Wow times one million!

Dogenzaka

Banned
Rez said:
the more I stew on the game the more... well, not disappointed, as such, just a tad underwhelmed.

its big set-piece moments like the intro, the ending or the
chronos
/other boss fights were great, totally excellent in so many ways, but all the connective tissue just doesn't seem up to the same level God 2 was.

I think, in a weird way, my perception of this game was hurt by Uncharted 2. Both this and UC2 are games that are the typical linear adventure game that rely on 'jaw-dropping set-pieces(R)' to make the player go wow, and I think UC2 dampened God 3's impact somewhat.

Awesome camera design? UC2 trumps it. Environmental diversity? UC2 trumps it. Fighting on moving platforms? UC2 did it. Cutscene direction/animation/VA? UC2 trumps it. General combat versus other task pacing? UC2 trumps it.

God 3 does have a nice inter-connected cohesive world, though, which is something God 1 had that God 2 didn't which I missed, but unlike God 1, God 3's inter-connected world seemed to come at the cost of environmental diversity.

It just seems to me that while God 3 and UC2 are mechanically different (shooter versus brawler), a lot of the cards they play are the same; they're more alike than they are different, and as such, it feels like UC2 beat it to the punch.

Understandable, and I agree on quite a few points.

I feel really terrible saying this because Stig is a great guy and an incredible director, but I think although he's more organized and structured than Barlog, Barlog's crazy creative intuition and the way he tied up every element in God of War 2 to be so perfect, from puzzles to combat to set-pieces, made it feel a bit more balanced than God of War 3 in some aspects. However! Clearly having to make a brand new engine in the same time-frame as God of War 2's entire development span had a significant impact on what was done in the game. But I still think God of War 3 is one of the best games I've played since Uncharted 2, and I think of it fondly when compared to the rest of the trilogy, definitely. But GoW2 holds up to be a polished treat in my memory, as well. :p

Got my copy today. Played the first 20 minutes. Yeah it's good. The opening animated intro was sweet and the soundtrack is downright thunderous. Maybe Warner Brothers should have done the EA thing and released Clash of the Titans first. :lol There's no way they can even match this.

B33

Banned
Thank you kindly for the advice.

Utilized a mix of throwing the hell-hounds and also figured out how to handled the Satyres (weaken, then "grab" the enemy to initiate a pseudo-quick time sequence).

Dogenzaka

Banned
It only does incremental upgrades to box puzzles (and I fucking love it).

THIS! I loved being able to spin boxes!! FINALLY.

It's too bad that there were hardly any decent puzzles in the game...what were good puzzles were great, but they were so few and far between...I was sad :( GoW1 and 2's puzzles were awwweessssome.

But we can finally spin boxes! :D

Raziel

dont want to derail the thread anymore than it has been but gow3 is way way better than uc2 imo

better set-pieces, better boss battles (uc2 has none), better puzzles (uc2's flat out give you the answer so, in a sense, uc2 has none), better enemy variety (uc2 has like 3 different enemies), better theme/art style, and more varied/fun combat. just my two cents.

Dogenzaka

Banned
raziel said:
dont want to derail the thread anymore than it has been but gow3 is way way better than uc2 imo

better set-pieces, better boss battles (uc2 has none), better puzzles (uc2's flat out give you the answer so, in a sense, uc2 has none), better enemy variety (uc2 has like 3 different enemies), better theme/art style, and more varied/fun combat. just my two cents.

Perfectly valid so don't feel bad.

Manus

Just finished beating
Chronos. It was such an awesome fight. I loved the part where he just cut open his stomach like it was nothing.

Top Bottom