• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Arsenic

SuperSonic1305 said:
I've died more times in combat in GoW3 than GoW1 and 2 combined and i'm not even done yet.
Are you playing on Titan mode?
This game does require you to roll a whole lot more than the previous two games. The grunts follow you more precisely, theres no sound indication of a combo-interrupting hit from an enemy. See: Cursed Leginnaire

tirminyl

Maybe I should complain that GoW 3 isn't more like UC2?

I've been thinking about this game more and more after beating it yesterday night. The only low point or disappointment for me was that the ending was spoiled for me during the Sony GDC conference. Not to mention I was on a media blackout (trying my best) about the game for months.

Crisco

Banned
The cerebus and satyrs fight wasn't too bad for me. I used the gorgon soul summon on the hades weapon to turn the satyrs to stone and shatter them.

Arsenic

tirminyl said:
Maybe I should complain that GoW 3 isn't more like UC2?

I've been thinking about this game more and more after beating it yesterday night. The only low point or disappointment for me was that the ending was spoiled for me during the Sony GDC conference. Not to mention I was on a media blackout (trying my best) about the game for months.
How id they spoil it? And i hate how they include some of the final boss fight in the launch trailer. Absolutely unnecessary

Animator

Fuck the asshole who designed the challenges. The most unfun piece of shit I ever played. El matador one is the closest I came to putting the controller through the tv in my life.

B33

Banned
The first
Zeus
sequence is killing me.

I don't recall the past
final boss
encounters being so difficult.

see5harp

Damn the other day I came up with some generic story to argue that I wouldn't care about spoilers in GOW3 and turns out the generic story is actually exactly what happens in the game. That opening sequence was still great, but the game never really gets to that level again in the second half. Those flying sequences were still much less annoying than the Space Harrier levels in Bayonetta (still really annoying though).

B33 said:
The first
Zeus
sequence is killing me.

I don't recall the past
final boss

Ares
was more of a bitch, and
those 2 sisters of time
were much more of a
counter fest
. This at least gave you the option to take health down using your magic or "rage of the gods".

Dogenzaka

Banned
Class_A_Ninja said:
Ares was more of a bitch, and those 2 sisters of time were much more of a counter fest. This at least gave you the option to take his health down using your magic or "rage of the gods".

You could use magic and rage with Ares too. I took Ares down in a matter of seconds just by using my rage and Army of Hades. The part that pissed me off in GoW1 was the stupid family sequence.

Fuck the asshole who designed the challenges. The most unfun piece of shit I ever played. El matador one is the closest I came to putting the controller through the tv in my life.

Only challenges I enjoyed were GoW1's. Everything else became ridiculous in attempt.

Dogenzaka said:
You could use magic and rage with Ares too. I took Ares down in a matter of seconds just by using my rage and Army of Hades. The part that pissed me off in GoW1 was the stupid family sequence.

I spoiler edited my post, but there was nothing earth shattering in there.

Wait...there was magic in the Ares battle? I have to youtube it to see if I'm an idiot now.

B33

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'm playing on normal and so far I've only used square, square, triangle to kill everything. Will the game force me to do anything differently later on?
Yes.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So a big WTF at the randomness of the checkpoints....sometimes you re-spawn literally right where you die, and other times you are really far back leading to some frustrating 'die/repeat large section' BS. Im playing on Titan so im noticing this alot more than if i were on a lesser difficulty.

Weenerz

Banned
Rage of the Titans ability is such a throwaway skill, Kratos skips around far too much to really be effective and the
Cestus from Hercules
do plenty of damage to everything.

Finally finished the game, I enjoy almost everything about the game, I just wish it was longer and that they took out the stupid flying events for the
Chains of Balance
. I mean, it wasn't so bad for the first time, but having to do it like 3 or 4 times just got old.

Snipes424

Animator said:

I almost did the same thing trying to get "get stoned"

finally got to spend some time with this game since its been eyeballing my from my shelf since Tuesday...so far im loving it but is the double jumping fucked and imprecise for anyone else, or is my X button borked? Its causing a lot of headaches on some of the simplest of platforming sections for me.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I know the Ultimate Edition is kind of a ripoff but I have to say I really like the Challenges of Exile they are damn fun, alot more enjoyable then the Challenges of the Gods IMO.

Ninja Scooter said:
finally got to spend some time with this game since its been eyeballing my from my shelf since Tuesday...so far im loving it but is the double jumping fucked and imprecise for anyone else, or is my X button borked? Its causing a lot of headaches on some of the simplest of platforming sections for me.
Yeah alot of people are having issues with double jump/flying. For me it seemed like the wings wouldnt come out soon enough after hitting the button sometimes.

tapedeck said:
I know the Ultimate Edition is kind of a ripoff but I have to say I really like the Challenges of Exile they are damn fun, alot more enjoyable then the Challenges of the Gods IMO.

Yeah alot of people are having issues with double jump/flying. For me it seemed like the wings wouldnt come out soon enough after hitting the button sometimes.

i kind of figured out that you have to jump well before a ledge instead of right at the edge, but its still kind of cheap feeling.

RavenFox

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Posted a few times in this thread why. A design decision by the devs so you won't walk off edges. There's a dead spot at the edge so you have to jump well before you reach the edge of a platform.

dralla

B33 said:
The first
Zeus
sequence is killing me.

I don't recall the past
final boss
use air dash to avoid all his attacks. when he jumps in the air shoot him with the bow, it will knock him out of his attack

i loooove that fight. the enemy is a little 'bullet spongey" though

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
So I just played up until the 1st save point and had to stop because I don't think I could handle the awesomeness.

This is going to be one hell of a game.

Helmholtz

Played for like 8 hours today, I think I got pretty far. Just killed
hercules
Graphics and scale are quite impressive. I was kind of disappointed that the classic God of War formula seems to be unchanged though. I also found it surprisingly difficult on normal, some of the bosses took me multiple tries.

Caj814

Raist said:
:lol :lol :lol

Poseidon's mistress

I was nice enough to go check back
to see if she was alright. . .outside of her disembodied severed arms she could have probably used some more upper body training:lol

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Replaying for the hell of it with fear kratos on easy mode taking some videos. Holy shit this is easy. Bosses trigger next stage in like 2-3 hits :lol

WilyRook

Crisco said:
The cerebus and satyrs fight wasn't too bad for me. I used the gorgon soul summon on the hades weapon to turn the satyrs to stone and shatter them.

Thanks for posting this. I've been poring over this thread just for pointers for that fight, and after a couple tries I beat them using exactly that: stoned the satyrs. Playing on Titan, too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
WilyRook said:
Thanks for posting this. I've been poring over this thread just for pointers for that fight, and after a couple tries I beat them using exactly that: stoned the satyrs. Playing on Titan, too.

I tried that but it seems really sketchy. The satyr doesn't always get stoned, and you don't really get many uses of the magic.

NeoUltima

Is the receipt of your costume code not suppose to be instant? Put my Amazon code into the GoW3 site awhile ago now, still no email.

Why couldn't Amazon just give a code to use on PSstore >.< wtf

Darkatomz

GOOD F*CKING LORD...

I really don't remember hard mode being THIS hard in any of the other God of War games at all. Took me 45 deaths just to get past
the scorpion boss which drops the ice crystal thinger, and now I'm having some issues in the wave room where Pandora hangs.

I don't remember the last time a game made me so damn angry.

WilyRook

Papercuts said:
I tried that but it seems really sketchy. The satyr doesn't always get stoned, and you don't really get many uses of the magic.

It could've been luck. I only missed once though. Before I 'fired' the gorgon I ran straight at the satyr 'till I was about 3 strides away from 'im.

Again, could've been luck...

roMonster

Bought the game today and played it for a few hours--all i can say is...

:O

Got to
hephaestus
and when I saw him moving in the background--

:O

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
NeoUltima said:
Is the receipt of your costume code not suppose to be instant? Put my Amazon code into the GoW3 site awhile ago now, still no email.

Why couldn't Amazon just give a code to use on PSstore >.< wtf
im still waiting too....too much traffic/errors/etc I guess. :(

Caj814

As far as difficulty goes. . .on Normal I died about 5-6 times when it came to enemies while I probably died
70-80 times from pitfalls because the jumping and air gliding is very very inconsistent

Just a question. How stable is the framerate in regards to the 60fps? I know it's only 30fps when doing some "titan/whatever other crazy shit happens", but how is it during normal ass kicking?

Raist

Banned
abstract alien said:
Just a question. How stable is the framerate in regards to the 60fps? I know it's only 30fps when doing some "titan/whatever other crazy shit happens", but how is it during normal ass kicking?

Smooth. I personally don't really notice the "drops". Motion blur and slow-mo helps, I guess.

I'm stuck in the
fucking labyrinth. Just after killing Hera. I've filled the second cup but then I have absolutely no idea what to do :I

edit: nevermiiiind

Raist said:
Smooth. I personally don't really notice the "drops". Motion blur and slow-mo helps, I guess.

I'm stuck in the
fucking labyrinth. Just after killing Hera. I've filled the second cup but then I have absolutely no idea what to do :I
If you are where I think you are.
Move staircase piece to bottom area, as far down as you can. IIRC place it so it looks like its going up to the left towards and empty cup.

Press the big button (activates the green-mode thing), carry Hera's body to the now accessible staircase (that you just put in place) and put her in the cup to hold it down.

Now you can move the staircase to the button (so you have enough time) and go up.
I'm horrible at explaining things, so I don't know how much help that will be :lol

ghostmind

Finished my first playthrough on Normal and watched the first "behind the scenes" featurette. The amount of "making-of" content available is insane.

What a fucking awesome game.

I'm dying more than I used to in normal mode in GoW I/II. Game also throws mini-bosses now and then. I thought Hades was tougher than I expected as a second boss. You get silver trophy for killing Hades.

I highly doubt that but is it possible to upgrade everything to max in single run? If I have to make choices, which one is the best weapon to upgrade?

Rikyfree

MirageDwarf said:
I'm dying more than I used to in normal mode in GoW I/II. Game also throws mini-bosses now and then. I thought Hades was tougher than I expected as a second boss. You get silver trophy for killing Hades.

I highly doubt that but is it possible to upgrade everything to max in single run? If I have to make choices, which one is the best weapon to upgrade?
Oh you can definitely upgrade all weapons in a single run on titan mode and below. I did it with over 15k left over. But to answer your question, I upgrade the blades to lvl 3 first, then the bow, then max out the blades, then work on the cestus till maxed out. From there you can do whatever you want.

Raist

Banned
w t f

Is that scorpion boss a joke? I mean, you have to spam with these crappy gloves, and its main attack is like, impossible to dodge :I

Top Bottom