• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
raziel said:
dont want to derail the thread anymore than it has been but gow3 is way way better than uc2 imo

better set-pieces, better boss battles (uc2 has none), better puzzles (uc2's flat out give you the answer so, in a sense, uc2 has none), better enemy variety (uc2 has like 3 different enemies), better theme/art style, and more varied/fun combat. just my two cents.

Arguably one thing that UC2 has over GOW3 is legs... the online component and coop mode gave a lot of life to UC2. I'm not saying GOW3 should of done that... not sure it would of turned out well with this genre... but doing something all out crazy like incorporating some original features like demon souls might have given it more life passed its 8-9 hours. Hearing people who finished and loved it, already talking about trading it in saddens me...

I'm not very far in, I'm only just past speaking to mephisto, but so far everything has been pretty standard fair GoW. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess was expecting something else listening to all the hyperbole. The way everyone was talking about the game blowing them away I guess I kind of expected something unique that'd blow my socks off. Socks are firmly in place.

I guess playing Uncharted 2 has spoiled me a bit.

I'll get back to it and hopefully it'll pick up a bit.

mr_nothin

Banned
Wickerbasket said:
I'm not very far in, I'm only just past speaking to mephisto, but so far everything has been pretty standard fair GoW. I don't know what I was expecting, but I guess was expecting something else listening to all the hyperbole. The way everyone was talking about the game blowing them away I guess I kind of expected something unique that'd blow my socks off. Socks are firmly in place.

I guess playing Uncharted 2 has spoiled me a bit.

I'll get back to it and hopefully it'll pick up a bit.
The bolded bit should apply to every game from now on...going by some of the comments in this thread. How are we comparing GOW to UC2? :|

I wonder if UC2 is going to spoil the next Killzone for you too.

Lunchbox

Banned
ssolitare said:
I think that UC2 is a more consistent game

agreed 100%

uncharted2 had a great flow and kept pushing you along, you enjoyed the ride even on the harder difficulties

gow3 gives you a great set piece and then throws you the most dumbest controller throwing garbage you can think of and pisses you off.
the scorpion, the spike room, the long dive you take afterleaving pandora on top of the boxes
...and the biggest problem none of them were hard, just frustrating. that just taints the awesome moments from the game

Raist

Banned
Huuh, don't get it.

When you chase Hermes, a wooden bridge collapses and 2 jerks block the way. There's a glowing thing there (like the stuff you have to use the grapple on) but obviously hitting R1 isn't a great idea... halp?

edit: nvm I'm stupid :lol

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
mr_nothin said:
The bolded bit should apply to every game from now on...going by some of the comments in this thread. How are we comparing GOW to UC2? :|

Funny you should mention being spoiled, as after playing demon souls intensively a lot of genre just felt meh. Some games do ruin it for a lot of other games, not saying UC2 did that for GOW3, but I can see this happening after playing some ground breaking games...

Dogenzaka

Banned
SquirrelNuckle said:
Just finished beating
Chronos. It was such an awesome fight. I loved the part where he just cut open his stomach like it was nothing.

Seriously! Although
I initially thought he was like a rock titan, so when I saw guts I was like WTF?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
mr_nothin said:

God of War and Uncharted are built from near identical schools of thought/design. Uncharted owes much more to God of War 2 than to something like Gears of War, I feel.

KZ is a whole other can of worms. I doubt we'll see many comparisons to to UC or GoW.

Rikyfree

Lunchbox said:
agreed 100%

uncharted2 had a great flow and kept pushing you along, you enjoyed the ride even on the harder difficulties

gow3 gives you a great set piece and then throws you the most dumbest controller throwing garbage you can think of and pisses you off.
the scorpion, the spike room, the long dive you take after leaving Pandora on top of the boxes
...and the biggest problem none of them were hard, just frustrating. that just taints the awesome moments from the game
Man, I feel lucky after listening to some of these horror stories. I beat
Hades, Hercules, (should be named Heracles, but that's nitpicking) and the scorpion
all on the first attempt in titan mode. But I dread the damn
cerberus and co.
fight that is to come.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Raist said:
Huuh, don't get it.

When you chase Hermes, a wooden bridge collapses and 2 jerks block the way. There's a glowing thing there (like the stuff you have to use the grapple on) but obviously hitting R1 isn't a great idea... halp?

edit: nvm I'm stupid :lol

You weren't thinking like Kratos would were you?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
At the infamous hard part near the end, yeah this is dumb.
I can handle the satyr's fine, but why is kratos whiffing half of his throws on the pups? It's getting me killed/hit more than I should be, but I can't really help that. This thing also has way too much health for some random encounter.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Papercuts said:
At the infamous hard part near the end, yeah this is dumb.
I can handle the satyr's fine, but why is kratos whiffing half of his throws on the pups? It's getting me killed/hit more than I should be, but I can't really help that. This thing also has way too much health for some random encounter.

That part was a bitch yeah.
I eventually won by basically moving around a lot, letting the explosions consume the enemies.

Unless I'm thinking a totally different scenario compared to what you are referring to.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just wanted to say this, kinda out of nowhere:

At the beginning of the game,
once you get back onto Gaia and then jump into her... the part where it shows an empty cave and then Kratos landing into it from above... that shot, that cave-like environment with Kratos standing in the middle of it
, is the closest thing I have ever seen to stereo 3D-like depth perception on a 2D panel. It's DOF magic. It looks 3D.

That and also when
Kratos falls into the river in Hell.

S3D will be amazing. I tell you.

No_Style

Finished the game. What a fantastic finish to the trilogy!

With regards to difficulty, I thought "God" mode was a tad too easy combat wise. Most of my deaths were due to silly platforming snafus.

I might crack open Titan mode in a week or so. Looking forward to delving deeper with the combat.

mr_nothin said:

Well, it's like comparing action films.

Uncharted 2 blew me away with the action scenes and I enjoyed the witty dialogue during the fights. God of War 's action scenes have been pretty cool, but so far it's kinda like 'haven't I done this before?' and the dialogue is non existant, so far it has pretty much consisted of 'URGH HULK SMASH'

Gameplay in both is pretty ok.

Edit: Game Spoiler
Just killed Hades, was pretty cool. Kratos has the roid rage.

Oh my, just beat
Hercules.
For me, that was most fun and insane video game battle I think I've ever played. Kratos is such a badder bad ass in this one.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I just beat the game and
I can say it is one of the best games of the generation. I was very pleased with everything all around. My only complaint were that I could never sit around and enjoy the scenery because of the camera. A bit more freedom with the camera would have been nice. My second complaint is that at the end of the game, Kratos did not become God.
Now it's time to get into Heavy Rain. :D

Raist said:
omg.

Are you guys serious when you say
Hercules
is a blast? It's the most annoying boss so far :I

Dead serious, I loved it. I was actually laughing my ass off. I like the more toe to toe aspect of it. I can get tired of other guys and their constant swinging shit at me. I also love how Kratos has that big friggen deal look on his face when
Hercules
comes strutting out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No_Style said:
That "difficult" part involving
Cerberus and exploding dogs
was very easy with the
Cestus

I've been using it for most of the game, still not really helping there.

Raist

Banned
Spectral Glider said:
Dead serious, I loved it. I was actually laughing my ass off. I like the more toe to toe aspect of it. I can get tired of other guys and their constant swinging shit at me. I also love how Kratos has that big friggen deal look on his face when
Hercules
comes strutting out.

Ah well, I guess I'm not a fan of the
let's throw 1000 grunts at you during a boss fight lolz. I mean, there's WAY too many of them and they constantly respawn. wtfisthisshit

No_Style

Raist said:
omg.

Hercules

What? It was definitely a blast and easy.

Those of you who are complaining about difficulty, did you all play God of War I & II recently? Those were significantly more difficult than GoWIII's normal mode.

TacticalFox88 said:
You guys need to upload these making of vids to Youtube for us poor gaffers!

If you're thinking that they're in the Ultimate only, they're not. They're unlocked after you beat the game.

Raist

Banned
No_Style said:

Those of you who are complaining about difficulty, did you all play God of War I & II recently? Those were significantly more difficult than GoWIII's normal mode.

For the record my first playthrough is on Titan :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
No_Style said:

God 1, maybe, but God 2 was noticeably easier on Normal than God 3. The bosses in particular were much more manageable.

RavenFox

Banned
Rez said:
the more I stew on the game the more... well, not disappointed, as such, just a tad underwhelmed.

its big set-piece moments like the intro, the ending or the
chronos
/other boss fights were great, totally excellent in so many ways, but all the connective tissue just doesn't seem up to the same level God 2 was.

I think, in a weird way, my perception of this game was hurt by Uncharted 2. Both this and UC2 are games that are the typical linear adventure game that rely on 'jaw-dropping set-pieces(R)' to make the player go wow, and I think UC2 dampened God 3's impact somewhat.

Awesome camera design? UC2 trumps it. Environmental diversity? UC2 trumps it. Fighting on moving platforms? UC2 did it. Cutscene direction/animation/VA? UC2 trumps it. General combat versus other task pacing? UC2 trumps it.

God 3 does have a nice inter-connected cohesive world, though, which is something God 1 had that God 2 didn't which I missed, but unlike God 1, God 3's inter-connected world seemed to come at the cost of environmental diversity.

It just seems to me that while God 3 and UC2 are mechanically different (shooter versus brawler), a lot of the cards they play are the same; they're more alike than they are different, and as such, it feels like UC2 beat it to the punch.

Great game, just not in the same tier as God 2 or Uncharted 2 or [MEGA BLOCKBUSTER GAME C] in my opinion. It's really good, but it won't be one I think of come time for GOTY or anything like that. In that sense, it's disappointing, but only because I had such mammoth expectations.
Then get a PC and follow your own advice. In the words of Geese Howard...'predictable'

Snipes424

Raist said:
omg.

Hercules

It was probably my third favorite boss fight, plus you get the best weapons in the game
imo
right after beating him.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RavenFox said:
Then get a PC and follow your own advice. In the words of Geese Howard...'predictable'
I beg your pardon?

Raist said:
Ah well, I guess I'm not a fan of the
let's throw 1000 grunts at you during a boss fight lolz. I mean, there's WAY too many of them and they constantly respawn. wtfisthisshit

Well, the beginning of the battle is a bit hectic, I'll give you that. But it's not long before those guys aren't a factor.

Arsenic

Raist said:
lol you're nuts dude. Right now im playing through it on Chaos mode. Not a joke at all (i think its harder than God mode in GoW1 and Titan mode in GoW2)

Anyone figure out what that last hidden trophy is? Add a spoiler though, for those that dont want to know

Neiteio

Raist said:
omg.

Hercules
Whenever Hercules swings, tap in the opposite direction on the right stick to roll out of the way. Then tap toward him with the right stick to close the distance and WHAM WHAM WHAM.

Once I learned that, all went smoothly and it was FUN. :)

ghostmind

GRRRRRR

now i'm stuck on the wings of icarus section where you are flying back down the shaft... keep smacking into too many obstacles... and just when i think i made it, there is another section. anger rising!

Dogenzaka

Banned
Raist said:

I did my first playthrough on Titan ^_^ makes the experience much better IMO. Everything isn't childishly easy and I squeezed over 16 hours out of my first run-through thanks to the difficulty.

RavenFox

Banned
Rez said:
I beg your pardon?
Dont mind me I just had
sex with Aphrodite 10 x
. Also don't take GOW3 so serious that you have to review it like Siskel and Ebert. It's a game and quite a unique one at that. I just want to make sure you enjoyed the ride. Did you?

Arsenic

Neiteio said:
Whenever ..... swings, tap in the opposite direction on the right stick to roll out of the way. Then tap toward him with the right stick to close the distance and WHAM WHAM WHAM.

Once I learned that, all went smoothly and it was FUN. :)
Spoiler tag that boss name, por favor

RavenFox said:
Dont mind me I just had
sex with Aphrodite 10 x
It's hard to admit it, but it was the first time a video game character has given me a hard-on. That mocap guys
gals
made that part very enticing, and reminded me i should get back to the real world and get me some ... :lol

YYZ

Raist said:
omg.

Hercules
grab the grunts and run into him with them. Easy phase one. Phase two you just have to keep hitting him and being dodgy.

No_Style said:

I've died more times in combat in GoW3 than GoW1 and 2 combined and i'm not even done yet.

Top Bottom