• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

WilyRook

Raist said:
w t f

Is that scorpion boss a joke? I mean, you have to spam with these crappy gloves, and its main attack is like, impossible to dodge :I

The tail attack? If so, when you see him rearing back to do it, the camera pulls back too, roll away from him toward the foreground. The tail attack covers that whole area in front of its three legs, depending on what side you're attacking.

Rikyfree said:
Yay, got the titan trophy! Beat
Zeus
in one try. The cerberus? Easily over 15 times. Fuck whoever designed that fight.

Be lucky that you face them fucking goats only two or three times in the entire game... Be fucking lucky they didn't cram them in the last battle!!!

Toki767

Just beat the game today. Wow at the violence. :lol

It was a nice game while it lasted. There were some parts playing that I couldn't even believe it was a game due to how nice it looked. Big props to Santa Monica for all their work on lightning and the game in general. Definitely can't wait to see what else they have in store in terms of a new game or a new entry into the God of War series.

Proc

Just finished it. What a game. Definitely was squeamish at moments by the excessive violence earlier on. By the end of it though, I was thoroughly desensitized lol.

I loved it. So many incredible set pieces throughout.

Sooo good. I'd love to play through it again with all the powers unlocked from the get go.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Proc said:
Definitely was squeamish at moments by the excessive violence earlier on. By the end of it though, I was thoroughly desensitized lol.

3010mxl.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well, throwing in the towel for tonight after trying this stupid near the endgame fight for the last hour and a half. The idea behind an enemy you fight in a random encounter being more difficult than every single boss in the game is hilarious to me...also, the main reason I wanted to post:

There is something fucked up with the hit detection in this game, I was killed in this part by an attack that completely missed a disturbing amount of times. Despite beating 2 on Titan, I will never attempt this on Chaos for the broken end game.

Toki767

LALILULELO said:
The game's pacing wasn't as tight as in GOW 1 and 2 either.
The pacing definitely seemed a little off. I'm not sure why but the game in some ways felt like it was quicker than God of War 1.

Man

Just turned a corner in Hades/Underworld and you get to see the complete vista into the horizon with falling souls and the music turns purely to this solo hymn... moment.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Toki767 said:
The pacing definitely seemed a little off. I'm not sure why but the game in some ways felt like it was quicker than God of War 1.

Game felt quick, yet long to me. But long in the bad way and quick in the bad way.
Like the experience felt too short, but what I had felt like it dragged on in areas.

Eh.

Be lucky that you face them fucking goats only two or three times in the entire game... Be fucking lucky they didn't cram them in the last battle!!!

Imagine!
Zeus + clones + SATYRS ALL OVER THE ARENA. Now try to wrap your mind around that and Chaos mode. Head asplosion confirmed ^_^

ydnawel

Neo Member
NeoUltima said:
Is the receipt of your costume code not suppose to be instant? Put my Amazon code into the GoW3 site awhile ago now, still no email.

Why couldn't Amazon just give a code to use on PSstore >.< wtf
What's interesting is that despite the fact that Amazon said to use the code on that GoW site, inputting the code directly into the PSN store works. I'm assuming Amazon has the directions wrong, and that entering it directly was intended.

protonion

Animator said:
Fuck the asshole who designed the challenges. The most unfun piece of shit I ever played. El matador one is the closest I came to putting the controller through the tv in my life.

Stand at the edge of the arena and jump as they charge at you.The small enemies are no problem.Square-square-triangle and keep your distance from them.
At first I was trying to kill them normally too...

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I don't know why you guys are knocking on the pacing of the game. I found it to flow very evenly between battle sequences and puzzles almost as much as Uncharted 2's masterful pacing. At least it kept me interested from beginning to end.

Toki767

AgentWhiskersX said:
I don't know why you guys are knocking on the pacing of the game. I found it to flow very evenly between battle sequences and puzzles almost as much as Uncharted 2's masterful pacing. At least it kept me interested from beginning to end.
It definitely kept me interested from beginning to end and I definitely very much enjoyed and like the game. Just something felt a bit off with the pacing that I can't put a finger on.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just finished the game.

Goddamned awesome. Kratos is fucking metal, man. Combat feels good (I always took to GoW combat well), challenge was good, and I found the pacing to be pretty good. There are some moments in this game that are just too damned raw for words. Just tons of moments right up until the end.

What they did for the last, I don't know, half hour or so? That was wild. Really happy to see them go out of the box there at the end. I enjoyed it.

Also, those were the best videogame breasts ever. o_O

Dogenzaka

Banned
I agree about the breasts.

Unrelated, but I will never take anything Keighley says seriously again.

"SOMETHING THAT'S SO OMG IT WILL PLAY OUT DIFFERENTLY FOR EACH PERSON"
"YEAH WE LIKE CAN'T BELIEVE IT MADE IT IN"

Was it the Poseidon princess part? That was weaksauce compared to other kills you've done in the series. Pffft

Corky

Just finished it, easily rockets up to one of my favorite games of all time.

My ranking of the gow games

3 > 2 > 1 > CoO ( not saying CoO wasnt good, in fact its fantastic, just that I find the others ones to be better )

Such a good game, I kept waiting to get to the parts that people called "bland" , never experienced it. Loved every second ( except some stupid fall-deaths and those motherfucking satyrs )

7 thumbs out of 4

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dogenzaka said:
I agree about the breasts.

Unrelated, but I will never take anything Keighley says seriously again.

"SOMETHING THAT'S SO OMG IT WILL PLAY OUT DIFFERENTLY FOR EACH PERSON"
"YEAH WE LIKE CAN'T BELIEVE IT MADE IT IN"

Was it the Poseidon princess part? That was weaksauce compared to other kills you've done in the series. Pffft
wait, what? wasn't she just left to hold that wheel up?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
God of War 3... Wow. I've worked as an artist for over 14 years on high profile games, tv-series and a lot of movies and this is insane. I turned down a job to work at Sony Santa Monica on God of War 3 to work on a movie that turned out to be a nightmare experience. I got no regrets really but I am in awe of what they have accomplished with GOW3. The camera work, the presentation, the colors, modeling, texturing... Absolutely loving it.

It plays similarly to the first 2 games as expected but all the additional moves and the ability to use the bow without switching weapons is great. Simple moves that they added add great depth. I know there are other stuff you get further down the line that also enhance gameplay. But not just that, the presentation (camera work, scene transitions) directly affect gameplay in my opinion.

There needs to be a thread dedicated to animated gifs and screenshots of this game. Uncharted 2 was a great experience and definitely one of my all time favorite games, but this game's artstyle is more up my alley.

I hope there will be DLC but whatever the case, this is more than worth my $60. I am definitely interested in seeing what Guerrilla and Naughty Dog are going to come up with next but for now I am just enjoying the ride.

DihcarEM

Awesome awesome game. So anyway, i got an extra psn code, it has two costumes which are the dominus and the phantom of chaos skins + combat arena.
I want the morpheus skin, it's the only one i lack. This is from europe so i don't know if it makes any difference.
Pm if you are interested to trade.

Toki767

Rez said:
wait, what? wasn't she just left to hold that wheel up?
I think her arms get ripped off or something?
It's all just a blur to me now because of everything that happens after it. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished the game yesterday. I beat it in one long session. Even though I couldn't pull myself away from it, it still didn't have the impact on me like GoW 2 did back in the day. Must be getting older and jaded I guess.

- Somehow I expected more on-Titan action, especially with the way they were pimping it pre-release. Those sections were so amazing, could have had another one of those.
- They went all-out on most of the boss battles.
Chronos
is quite possibly the best boss in the trilogy. Final boss was a bit of a letdown compared to the rest, like GoW2.
Zeus wasn't all that fun to fight before and he wasn't now
- They finally nailed implementing weapons that made you pass on the regular blades. Cestus 4 life. The blades were the only weapons I didn't upgrade fully, says enough.
- There were definitely some pacing issues, as others mentioned
-
Pandora
is a whiny bitch
- I thought the boots would replace the roll move for me, but I found myself not using them in battle all that much. There's this annoying delay between button press and action that keeps me from using them in that way. Maybe I need more time to get used to them.

And eeh yeah, what was the bit near the end of the game we were supposed to be talking about for years to come according to Keighley? Didn't see anything that could qualify for that

Withnail

This game is incredible.

Just did the
Hercules
fight, and I'm pretty much blown away, struggling to comprehend the awesomeness. :D

Facism

I've realised that there are more special crates (for gorgon eyes/feathers/horns) than there are the amount of collectables.

By the time I got to
the caverns
I had everything max, but there are special crates everywhere D:

My last save is at
The Labyrinth
. Looking to finish this off today :D

Feindflug

abstract alien said:
Just a question. How stable is the framerate in regards to the 60fps? I know it's only 30fps when doing some "titan/whatever other crazy shit happens", but how is it during normal ass kicking?

Well if you're out in open environments the frame-rate is always ~30fps even during normal ass kicking, in close environments the frame-rate hits ~60fps...this is the biggest and the only flaw in the visual department holding it back from being a perfect 10 in graphics like Uncharted 2 was - in other words this feels like the least polished game of the series.

locked 30fps > 30-60fps IMO.

Corky

Feindflug said:
locked 30fps > 30-60fps IMO.

Actually I'd agree with you other times but my god, they really did the smart thing by unlocking the framerate.

Because when things are cool and quiet the game flows very well and when things get hectic like crazy the fps drops towards 30ish and thats during heavy battle and whatnot so one barely pays attention to it

ascii42

Facism said:
I've realised that there are more special crates (for gorgon eyes/feathers/horns) than there are the amount of collectables.

By the time I got to
the caverns
I had everything max, but there are special crates everywhere D:

My last save is at
The Labyrinth
. Looking to finish this off today :D
The other games were like that as well, if you were maxed out before you got them all, they became red orb crates.

People complaining about difficulty of GoW3 leaves me scratching my head. Playing on Titan mode I always dreaded the gauntlet that was equal hard as protecting the librarian in GoW2, that moment never came...Scorpion was easy, the labyrinth gauntlet was the most difficult, which after I beat it is by no means 'frustratingly difficult'. The cerberus is a joke? The satyrs can be instant killed in a juggle...so can the dreaded wraiths. Chaos mode will be the 'frustratingly hard' mode

GeoramA

Withnail said:
This game is incredible.

Just did the
Hercules
fight, and I'm pretty much blown away, struggling to comprehend the awesomeness. :D
My favorite boss fight so far. My jaw dropped when
Kratos completely bashes his face in with the Cestus.

This game is so fucking graphic and brutal. I love it :D

Aspiring

I just want to say that fuck this game is so hard. I started out on Titan, but got stuckat the start :lol So dropped down to Normal and am contemplating playing easy. I just keep dying! Its crazy. Its also my first God Of War so please refrain from the flaming.

Other than that the first 2 hours my Jaw has just been on the floor. Utterly amazing. And the character models :D They are the greatest i have ever seen and the skin tone and textures on them are just fuck me dead lifelike. Honestly, even the might Drakes character model does not come close.

RavenFox said:
Then get a PC and follow your own advice. In the words of Geese Howard...'predictable'
I'm not sure where his "mammoth expectations" came from, because earlier, Rez claimed in the latest Edge review thread he expected GoW3 to be a "junkfood game" that one played, then forgot about. but maybe he had a sudden change of heart.

Dra-Q said:
I just beat the
Labyrinth
, worst God of War level ever, sorry SSM.

That was the part that made me say, "Now this is a God of War game!" I think the problem is that I picked up the the series when the collection came out.

The series, for me, is about frustration. Timed spikes, kill rooms, waves of enemies, and lots of unfair moments. I imagine the original God of War games played like butter compared to the comparatively shittier gameplay and unfair design of most games of the time.

Games had been streamlined just enough by the time I played God of War 1 and 2 to make me think that they are a bit old school in their difficulty. God of War 3 reflects the evolution of games since God of War 1 and 2 came out.

A game these days would create several large rooms on a big budget and fill each of those rooms with a medium sized number of enemies. Back in the day, they made one large room and you fought a much larger number of enemies in that room.

I would leave some God of War 1 and 2 battles exhausted. In God oF War 3, I felt I could have handled a few more baddies after I cleared a room.

Of course, this is could be because I'm better at God of war games after playing all 3 in recent memory. It also could be a combination of normal and me finding more chests early in the game. I felt that I maxed out my chains very early in the game, and they were just tearing through the low level enemies.

thefil

I think I built up my expectations too much after God of War 2. While the opening, fighting on
Gaia
and
Poseidon
was awesome and had me gaping, it didn't take long for the whole game (except for
Chronos
) to feel rote to me. Still had a good time with it though, it just wasn't the non-stop "holy shit" moment that GoW2 was. I'm sure if I went back and played 2 again I would notice that it's rose-coloured glasses but I'm not going to ruin it for myself.

Did anyone else find that all the upgrades were a) shoved into the last half of the game and b) really easy to find? I fully upgraded myself with chests to spare and I didn't feel like Iw as being particularly thorough.

Aspiring said:
I just want to say that fuck this game is so hard. I started out on Titan, but got stuckat the start :lol So dropped down to Normal and am contemplating playing easy. I just keep dying! Its crazy. Its also my first God Of War so please refrain from the flaming.

I played GOW1 and 2. I started GOW3 on normal, but went to easy..

thefil

Aspiring said:

Other than that the first 2 hours my Jaw has just been on the floor. Utterly amazing. And the character models :D They are the greatest i have ever seen and the skin tone and textures on them are just fuck me dead lifelike. Honestly, even the might Drakes character model does not come close.

You might already be doing this, but rolling is key to God of War. It will save you from most of the hits. Blocking works too but requires better timing.

Top Bottom