• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Liquidus said:
I took a little break from Yakuza 3 and started GoW3. Hmm, can't really say I'm impressed. So far I'm an hour in and I can't stand the QTE prompts positioning on the screen. I guess I've been spoiled by Heavy Rain and Yakuza 3 in that regard.

For the QTE prompts it helps to use your peripheral vision. Know that the buttons are positioned in the same manner as on your controller, so once you see a blink in the corner of your eye, press the button on the controller that corresponds to that position:

Top: Triangle
Right: Circle
Bottom: X
Left: Square

Easy peasy

PartlyCloudlike said:
For the QTE prompts it helps to use your peripheral vision. Know that the buttons are positioned in the same manner as on your controller, so once you see a blink in the corner of your eye, press the button on the controller that corresponds to that position:

Top: Triangle
Right: Circle
Bottom: X
Left: Square

Easy peasy

Yup, and you can actually pay attention to the awesomeness in screen rather than paying attention to the buttons.

NeoUltima

So for the trophy
beat labyrinth without dying, does it only start counting once you are actually inside the cube? Like being outside doesn't count right? Just want to be safe.

DihcarEM

NeoUltima said:
So for the trophy
beat labyrinth without dying, does it only start counting once you are actually inside the cube? Like being outside doesn't count right? Just want to be safe.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure it only starts once you are in it.

YYZ

If you happen to screw up during that trophy, I recommend quitting and loading the last save/auto save depending on which one is more recent.

bluemax

Banned
How in the world do I get more souls? I'm guessing I've missed a ton.

I'm at
Hera's garden
and I only have the first 3.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Titan has been a breeze so far save for the third judge trial. I'm at the labyrinth now, can't wait to get to that Cerberus encounter.

Raist

Banned
bluemax said:
How in the world do I get more souls? I'm guessing I've missed a ton.

I'm at
Hera's garden
and I only have the first 3.

You mean
with Hades' Blades? Just level up the weapon...

Darunia said:
Titan has been a breeze so far save for the third judge trial. I'm at the labyrinth now, can't wait to get to that Cerberus encounter.

No you don't.

uraldix

Darunia said:

That was a pain but really the only time that I was stuck on Titan so far too. Can wait for the upcoming fun though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I was stuck on the damn Cerberus encounter on Titan for like an hour. Got real pissed and turned the game off. Came back to it a couple of hours later and I destroyed the bitch on first try. I felt sooo freaking good/relieved; my revenge was not denied.

Minamu

Doh doh DOH! :lol I didn't realize that there are hidden treasure chests until I reached the Labyrinth. You know, the ones with some mystical mist around them. Must've missed a shit ton of those by now :( Don't think I have enough to upgrade everything now.

The game said something about looking at murals on walls & you might get something cool from it. Totally missed this part as well. What have I missed exactly?

onken

Just finished Titan mode, wasn't *too* bad I guess except for the huge long fight in the upper labyrinth, that shit just went on and on. Lucky you can slam those sickle wraiths in an infinite loop and kill them in seconds.

And man oh man do I hate that "do you want to change to easy mode" shit. Yes that's right, I got to the final boss on hard and now want to change to EASY mode (not even normal) because I've died a few times. Comes the fuck on, put that shit in the options and stop bugging me.

Great game though.

I played about an hour and was floored. However I sat down for a session today and the game just refused to load at all.

Selecting the game from the XMB just results in a black screen and an occasionaly spinning disc drive. No other games seem to have this problem. Anyone else had this problem?

JWong

Banned
Insane Metal said:
I just read that over 2000 copies of the game were sold at the official release in a store in São Paulo (brazil). Here are some videos of the event:
Only 70ish people lined up at my Bestbuy in Vancouver, but I think most of them went to EBgames because they had the playstation van.

alterno69

Banned
Fucking double jump is fucking broken i've died like 20 times cause the fucking god of war can't fucking jump. The game is awesome but the jump mechanic is broken.

Norml

alterno69 said:
Fucking double jump is fucking broken i've died like 20 times cause the fucking god of war can't fucking jump. The game is awesome but the jump mechanic is broken.

what is so hard about it?

onken

alterno69 said:

Uh what?

alterno69

Banned
It's not hard at all but i'm sure there's something wrong with it cause many times kratos doesn't double jump when i want to and i fall to a lame death.

alterno69 said:

Tap "X" once to jump, and then press and hold "X" once more to double-jump and glide. I died a ton before I forced myself to remember this, and since then I haven't died a single time in 2 playthroughs.

torontoml

Final fight
In the first round, when Zeus goes in the air and then flies at you, how to I avoid this? It doesn't seem to matter what I do he always hits me.

Cday

Banned
What pisses me off about this game is that sometimes the quick time prompts will blend in with either the environment or the Blade of Olympus meter.

Other than that (Labyrinth Cavern)
Fighting at least 6 trolls with homing mace hands in a row, really? Really? The combat is too animation heavy for that. Though I suppose using the Nemesis Whip isn't the best choice. I'll try the bear hands.

KB24

nskinnear said:
Fucking Maryland. I need Kratos to rip some fucking heads off so I can calm myself down >.<
Be happy that they got so far with such little talent.

I must say this game is quite amazing. The boss battles I have played up to this point have been great, not too hard, not too challenging. Just got to the sex mini game :D

onken

corrosivefrost said:
last boss on titan is unmanageable, even with the health bonuses.

Yeah it's tough.
I used the blades. Remember you can block/parry all of his attacks. As soon as the heart starts pulsing, run over to it and spam L1 + square, as long as you attack it quickly enough Zeus shouldn't try to go for it, instead he'll stay at a distance and spam fireballs at you. These don't do much damage, so get as many heart hits in as you can then start countering his fireballs. Remember to double jump whenever he does his air attack. If his clones go into the air then get the fuck out of there, the air attacks do a lot of damage. Save your magic for when there's a big group of clones. Good luck.

torontoml said:
Final fight
In the first round, when Zeus goes in the air and then flies at you, how to I avoid this? It doesn't seem to matter what I do he always hits me.

I don't remember that being bothersome, just roll/double jump.

Anyone got some tips for the last boss -- when
Zeus decides he's Naruto and busts out the super shadow clones? I have no fargin clue as to how the hell to handle it... I can't parry or block because there's like 10 of them. On Titan my health takes about 3 hits to deplete too, it seems... I've been doing this for over an hour and I can't touch him once he gets that far... not even button mashing blade of olympus helps. :(

Calion

Alright, I finally beat it on Titan today. Fantastic game, here's a few thoughts:

-For the most part, the boss fights were incredible, epic, and very memorable. I loved how the sun disappeared when Helios died, a plague emerged when Hermes died, etc.
-The ending was very satisfying. It was a perfect close to the trilogy
-The Scorpion boss and the flaming Cerberus mini-boss fucking sucked. If you failed the QTE sequence with the Scorpion boss, the 3 legs that were destroyed regenerate to full health again.
-I really didn't like any of the Labyrinth. It was extremely bland with frustrating parts (The shifting spiked floor room, The scorpion boss, The particular room with so many Sirens, Minotuars, wraiths, etc.)

Anyways, I loved it. :D Stating Chaos mode tonight!

Raist

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Zeus decides he's Naruto and busts out the super shadow clones? I have no fargin clue as to how the hell to handle it... I can't parry or block because there's like 10 of them. On Titan my health takes about 3 hits to deplete too, it seems... I've been doing this for over an hour and I can't touch him once he gets that far... not even button mashing blade of olympus helps. :(

Move a lot, stay away from them, and once at a reasonable distance, L1+O and then 1 or two hits with triangle, then L1+square. That's how I got rid of most of them.

Didn't have any problems at all with any parts of the Zeus fight. Died maybe 2-3 times at each step. Far from my 978687 deaths against that stupid animal :p

Calion

corrosivefrost said:

I used the BoE on him after he draws health from Gaia's heart. After he draws health, I used Square,Triangle,Triangle,Triangle frequently on him. When he tries to spawn a clone of him on the ground, counter the attack and parry with square. That will net you Magic and Rage of Sparta orbs while effectively killing the clone.

If there's way too many clones of him, use R2 (With the clones very close to you) with the Blades of Exile. That should eliminate most/all of the clones while actually damaging Zeus.

And most importantly, once you hear and see Gaia's heart flashing, run over to it immediately and damage it to replish health

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Finished it and goddamn, this shit was epic. Haven't felt like this after finishing a game since... God of War 2, actually. Every boss fight went up, over and beyond the previous ones, the environments were fucking kickass (
Tartarus Pits
were a work of art!) and the ending, however somewhat dissapointing, was fitting. Excellent game, gonna let it rest for a while now and kick off a trophyrush in a couple of weeks.

onken

corrosivefrost said:

See above. Save your magic for when you get surrounded. They're fairly susceptible to Spirit of Hercules, so get some distance in and use that.

Trevelyon said:
By the beard of Zeus!

I'm fucked. ;_;

Holy shit I just beat this.

Took me an hour or two...(and we're referring to the damned fire cerberus/satyrs combo on Titan) and your biggest ally is gonna be.....the bow, actually. I just spammed the shit out of the bow at the
large cerberus, kicked the dogs when they got near me and sure enough it worked. Keep dodging and dodging the satyrs and when the cerberus is on the other side of the arena, do a grab/circle mash minigame to the satyrs
and you (hopefully) will be good go go. Holy shit that was hard.

Stupid question:

When you finish the game, and unlock the godly possesions, which disables trophies... are they disabled for the rest of the run?

Example:
Hit-Man trophy for 1000 hits. Obviously, you can't do it with Helios' shield on. But what if you play until the pits of tartarus where it's easy to do with Hades' claws and then turn OFF all the godly possesions you are using? Does it still count?

I want to play through on Titan again to get my godly possessions trophy, but I'd like to make the earlier battles easier by enabling a bunch of the relics I DO have. Are trophies disabled only while the items are enabled or are they permanently disabled for the current playthrough?

Also, I would LOVE for SSM to release some high res versions of some of the paintings found throughout the game specifically
the pieces along the ceiling in the Flame of Olympus chamber.
. Really impressive stuff.

I've never cared to complete the "challenge of ..." challenges in any GOW and I'm afraid it's the same here as well. I always do the ones I can get within 1-5 tries but the ones I fail after one attempt and KNOW it's going to take some serious thought, planning and skill I basically exit and don't look back. I don't need the plat that bad haha.

I loved the game but feel it took the negativs from the previous GOW games and not much of the positives. It has the shoter length of 1 and the non-personal story of 2. By "non-personal" I mean that he had the ability to travel through time and he never thought to stop himself from saving his family in 2. And in 3... we never really see his motivation evolve beyond "GRRR I'm mad and I HAVE to be the one to kill Zues because I'm all emo GRRRR".

Nothing will top going through GOW1 and seeing how his past unfolds and what made him the way he is today. 2 took that away in favor of just getting revenge and 3 continues his thirst for vengeance tries to bring back the personal side with that end sequence but I felt it was a little forced.

I still loved it though. Just had different ideas for
the end of one of the greatest characters in videogame history.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Norml said:
what is so hard about it?

It often doesn't activate when you're too near a ledge. Kratos just drops like a stone, even though you've hit the button a second time. It's frustrating. I avoided it by jumping earlier than I thought I'd need to. Seemed to be that the closer I was to a ledge, the better the probability that the double jump and glide would fail to activate.

kinggroin

Banned
Game glitch - Made it all the way to
Zeus
but
he
wouldn't die. Fought for 3 hours straight before shutting it off and chalking it up to me doing something wrong.

Brought my save over my brother's house. Beat that same boss in ~5 minutes :/

Game rocked. Best visuals in a console game by far. Incredible sound design, and solid (if a bit too familiar) gameplay! Definitely the best game I've played on the PS3 so far, just ahead of MGS4 and Uncharted.

edit: Gah, I said the word "game" a lot didn't I?

Tom Penny said:
Fuck Get Stoned. That is all.

The key to this is very simple, block any oncoming green beam and FAIL the QTE, you instantly turn to stone. Do that and you will turn to stone so fast no one will catch you. Ignore everyone, just roll around, don't fight.

slade

Beat the game in two sittings. Kind of like Uncharted 2 for me, totally overrated. I don't know if it's just too much now after three God of War games but the entire thing just felt much more repetitive then it should have. The boss fights were not that great either, especially Poseidon whom everyone seems to go gaga over. The story is the only thing that kept me going and thankfully, it didn't turn out too bad.

Top Bottom