• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Slurmer

Banned
Can someone give me some tips on the
Zeus fight inside of Gaia. I get to a point where Zeus spawns a bunch of clones and they all do that "float up in air, smash ground, big explosion" attack.
Been on this fight for a long time now so some help would be appreciated!

edit: nevermind, just beat it :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
And Titan mode's done. All together not that hard aside from the Molten Cerberus fight which took me a while. Casting the gorgon soul is a great tip for that fight, thanks to whoever mentioned it. Also got my platinum.

Beat the game 3 times in 3 days, I'm God of War'ed out for a while :lol

Cyberia

slade said:
Beat the game in two sittings. Kind of like Uncharted 2 for me, totally overrated. I don't know if it's just too much now after three God of War games but the entire thing just felt much more repetitive then it should have. The boss fights were not that great either, especially Poseidon whom everyone seems to go gaga over. The story is the only thing that kept me going and thankfully, it didn't turn out too bad.

:lol

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
slade said:
Beat the game in two sittings. Kind of like Uncharted 2 for me, totally overrated. I don't know if it's just too much now after three God of War games but the entire thing just felt much more repetitive then it should have. The boss fights were not that great either, especially Poseidon whom everyone seems to go gaga over. The story is the only thing that kept me going and thankfully, it didn't turn out too bad.
right now I only have a 360 for a next gen system. When I played this game at my friend house.....I have to say it is the best looking game I have seen this gen. and it is a really fun playing game also.

Not liking ending much.
Specially philosophical Pandora's Box bullshit. I had a feeling it would end like this. I wanted something like super weapon inside it after going through all that trouble.

Going through Labyrinth, reminds me Pandora's Box journey in GoW I. It is best part of the game. Plus, giant Kronos (or Chronos) epic scale boss battle.

It doesn't have good puzzles like first two games. Only good one is Hera's Garden.

Game looks really really good and clean. It is almost jaggies free.

kikanny

So, I finally completed the game on the normal mode. What a fantastic ride it was!

+ The game's main strength is its scale! 'Epic' doesn't do the game justice.
+ The graphics rivals Uncharted 2 at various parts of the game. Such an incredible game with graphics such as this is an incredible technical achievement.
+ As usual, the soundtrack is fantastic and complements the epicness very well.
+ The boss fights. OMG! This game has the best boss fights that I have ever played in a game, IMO. Especially the
Hades
fight. That boss fight and the level as a whole was just marvelous.
+ The weapons. BEST WEAPONS EVER, PERIOD. I had so much fun with all the weapons. I rarely used the blades, actually.
+ All the gameplay tweaks they made. The real time weapon switching, all the combos, strategy, etc. gave the game a lot of depth.
+ The brutality. Most brutal game that I've played.
+ The ending. I was happy with it.
+ No technical problems such as framerate, screen tearing, etc.

- Some parts of the game certainly felt like an afterthought. The game does not have graphical consistency like uncharted 2 does.
- Opening chests and the save points were kind of iffy at certain points.
- Kratos' voice just seemed kind of low when compared to the other characters.
- Kratos is too much of an asshole. It's not really a negative...but yeah....

Also during my playthrough, I never encountered a bug and never had any problems with the jumping and gliding. I'm just sad that the God of War trilogy is over. I just hope that there are more God of War games and Kratos will invade our TVs soon. Sorry for the long post. I could just go on and on about this game. :lol

Cday

Banned
Darunia said:
All together not that hard aside from the Molten Cerberus fight which took me a while.

I'm on that right now and those jackel things are so cheap I've come close to throwing a controller a few times.

Carl

Just stepped foot into
The Labyrinth
. Holy hell is it epic so far.

Favourite point so far...I have absolutely no idea. The whole thing has been suitably epic.
Fucking Aphrodite
was good though :lol:. As was
the Chronos fight

jett

D-Member
Finished it. On the whole, I think I need to play it again on a highter difficulty to accurately gauge how much I like the game. :p Aside from a couple or parts, normal mode was a breeze. I was disappointed with the ending, but other than that it's everything anyone could've wanted in a God of War game on PS3, really. :p

Cday said:
I'm on that right now and those jackel things are so cheap I've come close to throwing a controller a few times.
Fight back cheap with cheap with the gorgon soul but make sure you hit it and if the Cerberus is dead use the Circle grab method, it takes 3 grabs to kill it.

klier

Just finished the game for the first time. Tripple A quality right here, some of the best stuff I've ever seen! Spectacular.
I noticed in the credits in the end, they give special thanks to Eliah (sp?) Wood (Frodo). Anyone knows what he has done???

Dave1988

Yes! Chaos mode beaten :D

I would like to take a bit of time to say FUCK YOU to
the Magma Cerberus + Satyrs combo and the Ice Scorpion

Zeus
was a walk in the park when I learned that you can spam L1+O to defeat him.

kikanny

Zeliard said:
I like that about him. It's fun to play as a protagonist who's just fucking mean. :lol
Lol. Yup, I agree. But, sometimes I just go.."No dude, don't do it please. Oh shit...." I guess that's more of the character's flaw instead of the game's flaw.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
klier said:
Just finished the game for the first time. Tripple A quality right here, some of the best stuff I've ever seen! Spectacular.
I noticed in the credits in the end, they give special thanks to Eliah (sp?) Wood (Frodo). Anyone knows what he has done???
Pandora's mocap...believe.

Dante

Got to The Labyrinth last night, I hadn't been able to play since Wed, I played over 5 hours straight last night which is something I haven't done in a loooong time with a game. I am loving every second of this thing, the combat hits the mark perfectly with me. Deep enough that I never get bored and look like I'm doing really cool shit, and not too deep that in confuses me like DMC does at times. I really wish this game wouldn't end :)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
there's so many mechanics in this game that bother me..why does kratos's roll have half a billion years of recovery?

Minamu

Phew, just beat all of the challenges :lol Get Stoned & Olé were definitely the hardest but when I found out you could auto-stone & get free HP from the zombies by pressing circle, it was a lot easier. Olé was fairly easy when I found out you could do the L1+O attack & toss everything off the edge :lol I absolutely hated the challenge where you had to kill everything without weapons. For some stupid asinine reason, Kratos would auto target the big dudes even though there was 3-4 skeletons in his face. I lost so much time because of that shit :(

I've had some freeze lag during 2-3 cutscenes. Scary stuff :(

The Chef

Gr1mLock said:
there's so many mechanics in this game that bother me..why does kratos's roll have half a billion years of recovery?

I have never had a problem immediately going on the offensive or defensive when doing a roll.

jett said:
Finished it. On the whole, I think I need to play it again on a highter difficulty to accurately gauge how much I like the game. :p Aside from a couple or parts, normal mode was a breeze. I was disappointed with the ending, but other than that it's everything anyone could've wanted in a God of War game on PS3, really. :p

You played it on normal? Jett, Jett your such a pussy. I expected more from you.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
How have the sales been for this? Just curious.

I think everyone I know with a PS3 bought it. One person at work is tempted to buy a PS3 just to play it. I'll buy it myself after I beat FFXIII.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can anyone get me a wallpaper of (ending semi-spoilers)
the very end of the game where you are in the odd off color world, there is a part where Kratos comes to a drop and throws his lantern down, and the camera pans back up to him, right there where is pans back up is where I want to get a wallpaper, shows Kratos on the rock and the world behind him in that cool color.

Thanks if anyone can get it!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Minamu said:
:lol I absolutely hated the challenge where you had to kill everything without weapons. For some stupid asinine reason, Kratos would auto target the big dudes even though there was 3-4 skeletons in his face. I lost so much time because of that shit :(

I've had some freeze lag during 2-3 cutscenes. Scary stuff :(

Bare Hands and the Urn Breaking one is all I need, but the Bare Hand one is fucking annoying, yeah. I don't really get how to do the urn one either, the blades are just going through the urns without breaking them a lot.

NeoUltima

Papercuts said:
Bare Hands and the Urn Breaking one is all I need, but the Bare Hand one is fucking annoying, yeah. I don't really get how to do the urn one either, the blades are just going through the urns without breaking them a lot.
For urns, don't do combos. Just use single square attacks.

Minamu

Papercuts said:
The cyclops posed the most trouble for me. But it went a little bit easier when I noticed that you could get like 5 hits with a single skeleton on him if you just continue pushing the skeleton on his stomach. I didn't bother with QTEs. Knocking them off the edges has its advantages as well but it's hard :( I used the square square triangle attack mostly for the urn challenge. The AOE on it helped tremendously.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/god-war-iii/42792-god-war-iii-trophy-guide.html
Some videos here.

LordPhoque said:
If it doesn't do any damage, what's the point of using L1 + O with the claws of hades ???
You can get to a 1000-hit combo a lot faster that way with no need to worry about enemies dying on you.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Do edge knockoffs count in Bare Hands? I knocked off both golems things and killed the cyclops in addition to all the grunts but it didn't give me the victory. I just ran around for like 5 or 6 seconds with no enemies left while the timer went down to 0 and I failed.

Also, fuck Hades' Kids and Get Stoned.

Shurs

I know I'm stating the obvious, but this is an amazing looking title. I'm going back and forth between this game and Yakuza 3 and, cinematics aside, the two games look like they're from different console generations.

jett

D-Member
Oh man, I was checking out the bonus vids...amazing voice acting talent in here, had no idea. If i had TC Carson's badass voice I think I'd go impersonating Kratos all day long. ZEUUUUUSSSSS!!!!!

And Kevin Sorbo couldn't have played a more appropriate part :p.

The Chef said:
I have never had a problem immediately going on the offensive or defensive when doing a roll.

You played it on normal? Jett, Jett your such a pussy. I expected more from you.

:lol I'll replay it on hard now. I was going to start on Titan but I didn't want my first experience of the game marred with frustration. I had been playing GOW2 last week on hard mode and some parts pissed me the fuck off. :p

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
(boss spoilers)

I beat the
ice scorpion my first try. what is it everyone is complaining about? I found him terribly easy compared to Hades.

Papercuts said:

Got the urn thing on first try, just tap square once, like I did with the urns in the game. It's fast and breaks all clustered urns.
Bare hands has only room for one mistake, else just restart.

K2Valor said:
(boss spoilers)

I beat the
ice scorpion my first try. what is it everyone is complaining about? I found him terribly easy compared to Hades.

Don't get it either, the creep went down fast.

jett

D-Member
p.s. i wish you could retain your abilities when you replay teh game in harder difficulties, like in the DMC games. It's just not that fun playing all underpowered and shit. :p I guess the difference is that in DMC you only gain new moves and not increased power...but still. :p

Click

Banned
jett said:
:lol I'll replay it on hard now. I was going to start on Titan but I didn't want my first experience of the game marred with frustration. I had been playing GOW2 last week on hard mode and some parts pissed me the fuck off. :p

It was very frustrating playing Titan mode on my first playthrough but only during certain parts.... most of which has already been discussed here. However, I can't imagine playing through it on any other mode. Titan mode is a great challenge for all GoW vets or fans of this genre. The sense of accomplishment when you beat a difficult boss is unlike most games I've ever played.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
~Kinggi~ said:
Im about to rage quit the last boss battle. I swear to god some of these fights are fucking ridiculous.

Hint:

You can reflect Zeus's lightning back at him. You can also parry his clone attacks.

Omotesando said:
Don't get it either, the creep went down fast.

I got stuck in the legs the first few times and couldn't dodge the tail...after I started using different combos it was way easy. It took some trial and error since it takes like 2 hits to kill you on Titan.

~Kinggi~ said:
Im about to rage quit the last boss battle. I swear to god some of these fights are fucking ridiculous.

Parry everything. Lightning will bounce back and hit him, parrying his clones will give you magic and rage. Use phalanx to kill clones when he gets a lot out, use rage when he's on his own.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
SixStringPsycho said:
People didnt know how to dodge the tail, or didnt wanted to.

Or they constantly got stuck in the legs and COULDN'T dodge. It's the only boss in the entire game I had to redo more than three times, but it was well into the double digits.

jett said:
Without pre-order codes do we really only get one bonus costume?

Yuuup. :\

Just beat it on Titan difficulty not too long ago. My biggest complaint is actually within the story. I just hate the fact the Kratos can kill immortal beings with his bare hands.

Click

Banned
Kintaro said:
Hint:

You can reflect Zeus's lightning back at him. You can also parry his clone attacks.

LOL, I didn't even think of that when I beat him.
I just dodged all of his lightning, punches, copies of himself, and other super moves. Took a lot of tries but I finally did it almost perfect one time
. This was Titan mode.

Top Bottom