• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorilla killed after dragging child at Cincinnati Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinaar

7 Billion people on the planet. You can always replace the child. The gorilla is part of a population that is being diminished. Child must be sacrificed for the greater good.

hotfuzz24.png

unfuckingbelievable

HAYd27b.png

So the kid went under this metal railing with "securtiy ropes", through the bushes and fell into the fake river.

I'm surprised more people don't fall over the railing there into the bushes. The railing is short and has the wooden fence part that kids can step on for some reason. Plus the bushes block half your view.

ThisGuy

What makes you think the parents think it's acceptable? Accidents happen. Raising it to the level of criminal neglect is ridiculous.
People stating it's not the parents fault at all. And clearly the parents of this kid. If you didn't think it was acceptable it wouldn't happen.

Kid seriously injured in what should be a common sense scenario is reason enough.

sensui-tomo

I'm sorry but that gorilla didn't even look upset at all. Being dragged in water a couple seconds isn't gonna kill you. I understand why they killed the animal, but I'd be curious of what would have happened if the zoo staff approached said gorilla calmly, maybe exchanging the kid for a treat.

Video is edited to cut out some stuff, Gorilla apparently tossed the kid too.

antonz

Looking at the actual enclosure. It was an accident waiting to happen. The Barrier itself is negligence. A simple stretch of Plexiglass along the barrier would prevent anything from happening and not obstruct any views

Because after a certain point humans have to display some amount of awarness so that the rest of us don't have to wear a safety harness any time we walk through a zoo.

Get your shit together. Watch your fucking children. Demand more from your fellow man. We're better than this.

The funny thing about this reply...

A few weeks ago there was a GAF thread where people were trashing parents who kept their kids literally on a backpack leash so they wouldn't run away and get into trouble or get hurt.

Well, if this family had their 4-year-old on a 'leash', this never would have happened. But then, those parents would be getting shit on from the same people about treating their kid like a dog on a leash...

-Not saying you were one of those people, but I think it's so ironic what people expect from parents these days. Especially people who don't even have kids.

Man when will people ever learn. This is why you put your kids on leashes dammit.

^ and there it is!

People stating it's not the parents fault at all. And clearly the parents of this kid. If you didn't think it was acceptable it wouldn't happen.

Kid seriously injured in what should be a common sense scenario is reason enough.

What? Things you don't think are acceptable happen sometimes. We aren't robots. Bolded is a pretty dumb statement. They are called mistakes/accidents.

sensui-tomo

unfuckingbelievable

HAYd27b.png

So the kid went under this metal railing with "securtiy ropes", through the bushes and fell into the fake river.
.... Why are the kids on those railings(they dont know better obviously point is ahead), dont they usually have a "DONT GO ON RAILING" sign somewhere? and why are the parents okay with it? (yes zoos should have better stuff and parents shouldnt let kids go on railings like that.)

Severance

Blame the zoo, the parents, the kid, whatever. We shouldn't be imprisoning animals in a zoo. How about restoring their habitats instead? I never understood why anyone would want to go to one. I did once and it was like great, they're locked in a cage. I don't go to prisons to watch people live their lives. Id much rather watch animals living in their natural habitat as they please. Planet Earth, for instance, was amazing to watch!

kswiston

Looking at the actual enclosure. It was an accident waiting to happen. The Barrier itself is negligence. A simple stretch of Plexiglass along the barrier would prevent anything from happening and not obstruct any views

The exhibit was going to be replaced actually

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/09/02/cincinnati-zoo-to-build-12m-expansion.html

Where were the zoo keepers and security?

This can go on for a while.

How many zoo keepers and security personnel do you think a zoo has? It's like a mall. Staff/Security will be there pretty quickly if something happens, but they aren't at every corner preventing stuff from happening.

Where were the parents?

I don't understand how people can take their kid to an environment with known dangerous animals and think it's acceptable to not watch them.

Do you understand how easy it is to lose a small child in a crowded place in the blink of an eye? When I was a kid, we went to the Pittsburgh Zoo. My sister was probably 4 or 5 at the time, and I was around 11 or 12. We lost track of her in the blink of an eye. She was standing next to us one second and the next second she was gone. It took a few minutes to find here, but my parents weren't being terrible parents. It was an accident. When something like this happens, the first instinct likely isn't the kid is crawling into the animal enclosure, but someone came along and snatched the kid. So you're attention is on the crowd and not the enclosure. It's more than enough time for a kid to find their way into an enclosure if they're poorly designed.

The zoo needs a better enclosure. The shit looks pitiful based on the news footage.

Fury451

Banned
I blame the zoo.

If a 4-year-old is able to climb or maneuver his way into a gorilla enclosure, then they failed to secure the enclosure properly. Parents shouldn't HAVE to worry about their child getting into an "enclosure" with a dangerous animal at a zoo. It should be assumed it wouldn't be possible except in the most extreme cases, and CERTAINLY not with a 4-year-old.

This should never happen. It shouldn't be possible. The zoo has to approach their security and animal enclosures from every conceivable point of view.

They failed and have only themselves to blame.

It's not like the toddler had bolt cutters or planned to break in over a period of days and weeks.

The fencing or whatever it was was not good enough and it was defeated by a curious 4-year-old who just climbed and crawled through. That's not a secured enclosure.

The zoo is to blame. Period.

IN FACT, I would SUE the zoo if I were the parents.

Seconded.

Kids are fast little monsters, and while I don't think the parents are completely absolved of all responsibility, this never should even remotely be a concern. Zoo is 100% at fault here for poor safety measures

wwm0nkey

Last time I went to the Cincinnati Zoo was in middle school but yeah even then I was like"there should be a bit more things to prevent people from getting in"

dejay

Banned
Kids are dumb - it is known. But sometimes it's not possible to watch a kid 24/7 and it would take literally five seconds of inattention for a kid to slip through that wire, and that's assuming the parent is within arms length to begin with.

There are standards for pool fences to stop young children from accessing pools - perhaps similar standards should be employed in these situations.

shira

.... Why are the kids on those railings(they dont know better obviously point is ahead), dont they usually have a "DONT GO ON RAILING" sign somewhere? and why are the parents okay with it? (yes zoos should have better stuff and parents shouldnt let kids go on railings like that.)

I'm surprised more people don't fall over the railing there into the bushes. The railing is short and has the wooden fence part that kids can step on for some reason. Plus the bushes block half your view.

I don't design zoo's but the guy who did this one is getting about 50 phone calls tonite.

unfuckingbelievable

HAYd27b.png

Oh yea, that's a high-quality barrier right there.

FUCKS SAKE - anyone can crawl through that shit! And all they had beyond it was BUSHES?

I'm shocked more kids don't fall over into that 'enclosure'.

That is a guaranteed lawsuit right there. That zoo is paying that kid's medical bills and putting him through college.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I love animals but yeah had to be done. How a child even gets in there is the actual problem

Sanjuro

How many zoo keepers and security personnel do you think a zoo has? It's like a mall. Staff/Security will be there pretty quickly if something happens, but they aren't at every corner preventing stuff from happening.

A zoo isn't like a mall. Hopefully they hire enough that can keep people safe.

U2NUMB

Child neglect. Most parents don't allow their kids to fall into the gorilla zone.

I understand the thought but as a parent of a 3 year who we watch like a hawk she can vanish in second. It is often even a game with her to hide. While it is totally possible these parents were not on top of things I also would understand in a blink of an eye a kid getting somewhere he should not.

ThisGuy

This can go on for a while.

Game on.

Where were the parents?

The zoo needs a better enclosure. The shit looks pitiful based on the news footage.

I agree with updated enclosures. For adults/teenages who should know better. However, a child in this environment, I won't budge. It's the parents responsibility to watch their kid in a dangerous environment. It's really that simple. It's not the grocery store. It's the zoo, with creatures that can snap you in two.

Let me add, glad your sister was okay. Given this thread, it's evident it doesn't always work out for people.

sensui-tomo

Oh yea, that's a high-quality barrier right there.

FUCKS SAKE - anyone can crawl through that shit! And all they had beyond it was BUSHES?

I'm shocked more kids don't fall over into that 'enclosure'.

That is a guaranteed lawsuit right there. That zoo is paying that kid's medical bills and putting him through college.

for part 1 : Because some kids have parents that watch them or tell them the common sense to not get on rails.
Part 2: Place has been around for 38 years or so... seems unlikely, they probably have warnings that people ignore.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
parents need to learn how to be parents, sadly as a teacher I would most likely have to host a professional development session for them.

Alienfan

I blame the zoo.

If a 4-year-old is able to climb or maneuver his way into a gorilla enclosure, then they failed to secure the enclosure properly. Parents shouldn't HAVE to worry about their child getting into an "enclosure" with a dangerous animal at a zoo. It should be assumed it wouldn't be possible except in the most extreme cases, and CERTAINLY not with a 4-year-old.

This should never happen. It shouldn't be possible. The zoo has to approach their security and animal enclosures from every conceivable point of view.

They failed and have only themselves to blame.

It's not like the toddler had bolt cutters or planned to break in over a period of days and weeks.

The fencing or whatever it was was not good enough and it was defeated by a curious 4-year-old who just climbed and crawled through. That's not a secured enclosure.

The zoo is to blame. Period.

IN FACT, I would SUE the zoo if I were the parents.
I don't buy into this at all sorry - there are clear signs dotted around almost every Zoo I've ever been to saying "keep your kids within arms reach"; parents failing to adhere to the Zoo's plain and quite frankly common sense set of guidelines, is no one else's fault but theirs.

The Gorilla escaping the enclosure and ensuing violence on the visitors would Zoo's fault. But a person leaving the clearly defined safety zones and jumping into the enclosure is not the Zoo's fault. Seeing as a child that young shouldn't be held responsible for their actions, I see no one else to blame but the parents.

Watched the video. The gorilla looks to be protecting the child :-/ It cuts off before any shooting happens, but there was no rough handling of the child at all, it honestly lookedl ike the gorilla was trying to help. Towards the end people start shout that the gorilla is drowning the kid, but at that point everything is out of view and you can't see what's going on.

It's possible it got more aggressive after the video cuts off though, sad for all parties involved though
My impression exaclty..
In the video the gorilla doesn't seem to be spinge antthing aggressive

Game on.

Where were the parents?

I agree with updated enclosures. For adults/teenages who should know better. However, a child in this environment, I won't budge. It's the parents responsibility to watch their kid in a dangerous environment. It's really that simple. It's not the grocery store. It's the zoo, with creatures that can snap you in two.

So wait, you think there should be better enclosures to keep adults and teenagers out, but are fine with shitty ones if kids are around because it's their parents responsibility?

dejay

Banned
I don't buy into this at all sorry - there are clear signs dotted around almost every Zoo I've ever been to saying "keep your kids within arms reach"; parents failing to adhere to the Zoo's plain and quite frankly common sense set of guidelines, is no one else's fault but theirs.

The Gorilla escaping the enclosure and ensuing violence on the visitors would Zoo's fault. But a person leaving the clearly defined safety zones and jumping into the enclosure is not the Zoo's fault. Seeing as a child that young shouldn't be held responsible for their actions, I see no one else to blame but the parents.

But the zoo should meet the parents half way - barriers should at least take a while to get through. The ones they had seemed specifically designed to allow small children through easier than letting adults through.

Yeah an accident waiting to happen, only took about 40 years.

ThisGuy

So wait, you think there should be better enclosures to keep adults and teenagers out, but are fine with shitty ones if kids are around because it's their parents responsibility?

Of course not. My initial stance was the majority of blame on the parents. Better enclosures would be great. That last post was a bit off.

You motherfucker.

Where was Mark WALHBURGERS?

Ahhh and there it is. Security and the parents were captivated by a set of walking 5'8 abs.

unfuckingbelievable

HAYd27b.png

Goddamn.

Wtf that shit looks sketchy as fuck.

The Gorillas at the Columbus Zoo are in a giant enclosure that looks like this:

Columbus1_zpsfbe9dca0.jpg

Sometimes they piss through fencing, but that's about it.

akira28

getting on the rail is fine. Climbing over the rail is fine. climbing through the bushes is fine.

for god's sake don't fall into the water. please do not let the animals get their hands, claws, teeth, horns, or tentacles around you.

teach your kids to fear the animals.

Bass260

More reasons to abolish animal captivity enclosures.

Parents and the Zoo should be at fault. Kid's have no idea and the Gorilla doesn't give a shit.

I think Gorillas are the most frightening animal to me, and zoos should not build enclosures for them that do not completely prevent people from getting in.

dejay

Banned
getting on the rail is fine. Climbing over the rail is fine. climbing through the bushes is fine.

for god's sake don't fall into the water. please do not let the animals get their hands, claws, teeth, horns, or tentacles around you.

teach your kids to fear the animals.

From what I can tell the trouble with the enclosure is this; once you're through the wire, literally everything leading to danger is downhill. So if the kid was stumbling around through the bushes blindly the path of least resistance leads directly to that drop into the enclosure.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Something similar happened recently in a zoo in Santiago, Chile.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-and-killed-after-mauling-suicidal-naked-man

A man with mental issues jumped over the lions' enclosure in a suicide attempt. Zoo personel tried to separate the lions from the guy (who started provoking the animals) and one of the lions managed to bite him, leaving the man in a critical condition. While they managed to take one of the lions out of the place, the zoo personel had no choice but to kill the other two in order to save the guy.

While the killing of the animals within the context is sad, it was also sad the lack of empathy from people who outcried in social media about the zoo's actions before the facts were made public, to the point of a group of people making a nightly vigil and calling the zoo personnel straight murderers.

On the following days, as the man was out of vital risk, the zoo director spoke to the man's father, learned about the guy's background, and spoke on interviews about how the whole zoo personnel mourned the loss of the lions, and that as much as they loved the animals, they can't put them above a human life. (One of the lions was born in the zoo and the other one was rescued in a deplorable state from a regional circus.)

The director also posted online a letter where he ends as a close statement something roughly translated like this.

"Franco [the man who attemped suicide], I forgive you, I hope life gives you the second chance that this society didn't give you. It's true that you're sick, along with the fact that we're sick as a society. At least I am happy that we managed to handling you back alive to your father."

While I'm not a fan of zoos, I can certainly understand the protocols in situations like these :/

Those signs do little to actually keep kids out of the areas. They are not a physical barrier. Signs are not people proof. If you want to end the possibility of kids getting into such spaces you need adequate measures.

Parents are prone to human error like in this case.

Could be worse. Could be one of those situations where they kill the animal AFTER it killed a person. That's the kind of shit I never understood. Like there will be a bear attack in a forest, and then park rangers will go kill the bear. Like bro, it's a fucking bear, what do you expect? That's what predators do, they find prey, kill them and eat them.

Alienfan

But the zoo should meet the parents half way - barriers should at least take a while to get through. The ones they had seemed specifically designed to allow small children through easier than letting adults through.

In general, I don't disagree with this at all, but in this case I think the barrier wasn't the problem. Mirroring what was said above, this is the first incident in 40 years - with thousands of kids entering the Zoo per day, I wouldn't say this particular public barrier was ineffective. If the Zoo was advertising this area as a "let your child run around ", then they would absolutely be at fault, but they weren't. Clear signs state kids are the parents responsibility and should be looked after at all times. Yes there's an inherent and, in some cases, uncontrollable risk that the kid could just leg it - but this is a risk that parents accept when taking their kids pretty much anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom