• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

CanaryRob

I know it's on the same page, but I really gotta figure out if there's a fix for this. I'm gonna lose a lot of progress if not.

Edit : Top of new page instead it seems

Unless you're between story missions (then continue the story) you could try the following:

- Sleep as Trevor (it advances time 12 hours, rather than 8)
- Replay a mission
- Go into online and then back out into story
- Find the random event in the desert where
you get abducted and wake up many hours later
- Watch TV, go to a bar with a friend, go on the roller-coaster - any little side activity which might give the clock a bump start when you finish

If that doesn't work then I'm stumped.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see you had resolved the issue!

Rembrandt

Banned
Do i need to play to a certain point of the game to find the peyote plants?

Nah, they're open from the start.

Where are the gas tanks on vehicles? I know they were detailed in the PS2 Era, I can't remember about IV. Occasionally I'll shoot a car and it'll start leaking but it's pretty random.

So I've been working my way to get all the single player trophies and yesterday I collected all 30 pieces of nuclear waste (holy shit how tedious) but the achievement didn't unlock.

Is this a glitch? Or have I missed something out?

Checking some online guides it looks like it's a glitch, in which case I'm pretty pissed because it prevents me from getting the final single-player achievement.

Is there any kind of workaround/fix for this? No way I'm restarting the game just to collect nuclear waste all over again.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
What is up with this game's performance?? (PS4)

At launch I remember the fps dropping a bit during high speeds and I noticed the pop in or whatever it is.

Yesterday I played the game after a little break and it just feels bad. Frame rate feels maybe about 25fps. this was just driving about and not at particular high speeds. seems to be more noticeable in third person than first.

The only thing I can think of is that I just updated the system software (2.03?) and everything felt slow. I was also downloading TLOU:R in the background. Surely this shouldn't affect game performance though? I don't know.

Feels like I'm playing the PS3 version over again.

Well, that was one hell of a shitty ending. Unless there are multiple?

Mine was an
'everyone rides off into the sunset after an assassination spree'
sort of affair and I couldn't be more underwhelmed.

CanaryRob

Mine was an

There is multiple.

Kill Trevor, Kill Michael, or kill everyone else and walk away into the sunset. Franklin gets these options on his phone. Don't know how you can miss that, really.

Thoughts:
I think option 3 is the only option really. The other 2 just seem to be there for variation sake. After Red Dead Redemption's and GTA:IV's ending I thought it was a nice departure from the depressing and dark endings.

Yep. I see what you guys are saying. I just feel like it was way too unceremonious and neat. So much wasted potential with the Trevor and Michael relationship especially.

Yep. I see what you guys are saying. I just feel like it was way too unceremonious and neat. So much wasted potential with the Trevor and Michael relationship especially.

maybe they were planning single player dlc that expanded on the story, right after hesits were implemented into the online multiplayer..

The only thing I can think of is that I just updated the system software (2.03?) and everything felt slow. I was also downloading TLOU:R in the background. Surely this shouldn't affect game performance though? I don't know.

yes downloading in the background impacts the frame rate. Why, I dont know. I have an SSD and only download at 1mb/sec but noticed it.

leng jai

What is up with this game's performance?? (PS4)

At launch I remember the fps dropping a bit during high speeds and I noticed the pop in or whatever it is.

Yesterday I played the game after a little break and it just feels bad. Frame rate feels maybe about 25fps. this was just driving about and not at particular high speeds. seems to be more noticeable in third person than first.

The driving has always had a wonky framerate. At high speeds it really gets bad. It's pretty much 30FPS all the time when you're on foot though.

small spoiler allert.

wow, in the scene where
Franklin rescues Michael and has to drive him home
, the framerate on PS4 really dips a shitload. Normally i think it's doable in traffic, but this really was hard to watch..

Is there any wiki or anything mapping out the gang territory in the game?

I loved getting into scraps with the various gangs in the ps3 version.

Raptomex

Is there any wiki or anything mapping out the gang territory in the game?

I loved getting into scraps with the various gangs in the ps3 version.
Agreed. It's a shame there was no focus of any kind on it. Like any form of gang war side mission or something. Kind of like the Gang Wars in TLAD or drug wars in TBoGT.

Just type in GTA V gangs, or GTA V gang territories on Google and you should find some stuff. That's how I do it. The Families, Ballas, and Vagos are all right next to each other around Davis and Strawberry. Grove Street is the heart of Balla territory. If Franklin has the
Grove Street garage
it's easy to find. The gas station is right near it and across the street is the Families territory. I believe the Vagos are on the other side of the Ballas. So the Ballas are in the middle.

question:
-so I own GTAV for the PS3 and have a safe file on the cloud.
-a buddy of my jumped on the sony train and recently purchased that PS4 GTAV:R + TLoU:R bundle.
-he is coming over friday for a dinner party... if he brings over his GTAV:R disc... will my PS3 save transfer over to the PS4 version.
-If so, what are the steps to make this happen.

much appreciated.

edit: I'm talking about the single player campaing, not online.

TheExodu5

Banned
Finished the game.

It was alright.

Controls are awkward (deadzone is terrible). Psychic cops. Voice acting was great. Story was a mess. No character development to speak of, and motivations were not terribly believable. I don't see myself putting much more time into this. As ambitious as the game is, it's just not that enjoyable to play.

GTA V is an impressive sandbox. It's a shame the rest of the package feels kind of lacking.

I know it's on the same page, but I really gotta figure out if there's a fix for this. I'm gonna lose a lot of progress if not.

Edit : Top of new page instead it seems

Hope you already found a fix, but I had the same bug happen on my ps3 copy. I was playing golf, was sucking, and loaded the last save but time was frozen. Sleeping would advance time forward but only the default 6 hours or so. I played golf again to the end, and when I was finished the clock was working properly again.

question:
-a buddy of my jumped on the sony train and recently purchased that PS4 GTAV:R + TLoU:R bundle.
-he is coming over friday for a dinner party... if he brings over his GTAV:R disc... will my PS3 save transfer over to the PS4 version.

much appreciated.

PS3 saves do not transfer unfortunately.

This may be a stupid question, but how do you ride a bike without "sprinting" (or whatever you want to call it on a bike) when in first person mode using the "standard FPS" control scheme? I just did the mission where
Michael races Jimmy to the pier on a bike
and couldn't figure out how to ride normally so had to alternate between "sprinting" and coasting...and nearly died!

HBP

So I am about 25% through the game and I can't seem to find any missions for any of my characters, but when I bring up a character wheel it shows numbers like there are missions. Any ideas?

bud23

if anyone is interested...

actual_1417626486.jpg

In honor of next week's release of The Music of Grand Theft Auto V: Limited Edition Soundtrack CD and Vinyl Box Sets, we're giving 10 lucky fans the chance to win a copy at the Rockstar Games page on Facebook.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...d-edition-gtav-soundtrack-cd-or-vinyl-box-set

question:

much appreciated.

Unfortunately, no single player files transfer over. If you boot up GTAV on PS4, you start from the beginning.

In the case of online, your GTAO character can be ported over once.

mileS

I just picked up the game. Haven't had my PS4 on for over a month, heard there was major issues with the firmware during that time, was that all cleared up? Is it safe to fully update both the firmware and patch the game up?

I just picked up the game. Haven't had my PS4 on for over a month, heard there was major issues with the firmware during that time, was that all cleared up? Is it safe to fully update both the firmware and patch the game up?

Yes. There was only an issue with 2.0 and standby mode and it was fixed right afterwards.

and motivations were not terribly believable.

motivations in a cartoon universe are rarely believable, if they were, the game would be serious instead of a universe where cops shoot people for staring at them too long. Within the alternate reality where you can pull homes off cliffs and rampage, you just roll with the choices.

Finished the game.

It was alright.

Controls are awkward (deadzone is terrible). Psychic cops. Voice acting was great. Story was a mess. No character development to speak of, and motivations were not terribly believable. I don't see myself putting much more time into this. As ambitious as the game is, it's just not that enjoyable to play.

GTA V is an impressive sandbox. It's a shame the rest of the package feels kind of lacking.

Bolded for truth. Completely agree with you.

I also don't like how all of the side missions end up just being a farce. After you beat the main story missions, there's really not much to do... And many of the extras are "oops! Looks like you -- criminal mastermind -- were tricked by another silly NPC!" Nearly every side mission follows this format of lurring the player in for a bonus, only to "Oops! Tricked again, darn!" Franklin collecting all of the weed cars for the big "smoke out"
and then the guy never shows up...
Wow, what a great social commentary on stoners. The old couple who are looking for memorabilia and there will be a big reward at the end...
end up just being crazy old coots.
And mission after mission follows this. The gameplay:reward ratio in the game is a joke, which I think is why they put this phony stock market into the game, and then every conversation online is how to maximize profit form the ingame stock market, instead of ... yknow, balancing gameplay with rewards. I'd wager the majority of posts in this thread that are about actual missions in the game are about Lester's assassination missions. These are side story missions that shouldn't be important, yet, because the reward system in the game is so inbalanced, they end up becoming the 5 most important missions in the entire game.

Played through it on 360 (and about 50% of the way on X1) and I got pretty frustrated when it seemed like Rockstar wanted to focus more on making a mockery of videogames as they as today, rather than providing any ingame rewards to players for doing inane tasks. It's funny the first or second time that you get a reward of nothing for putting up with an arduous mission, but when the entire game is that, minus one mission that gives you $250,000 and another that gives you $40million, it wears thin. GTAV is not as bad as GTAIV in this regard, but it's still bad.

The properties are another joke. The cost:benefit ratio is so FUBAR, every property minus the handful that give you something like an airplane or boat are an utter waste of money, a ridiculous waste of money. Most of them would take literally years, real life years, to pay back the return on investment. The one up in Paleto Bay, that bar, I did the math and it takes something like 90 ... real life weeks ... to just pay back the $90,000 or whatever that it costs. 90 weeks in real life. That's two years. If you want ot double your investment, you're looking at four years of playing the game every day. I actually thought that they were going to overhaul property ownership for this release, and it SEEMS like they aimed to, but didn't. When you first unlock properties, the description says that if you do missions for them then they pay out more money, but that isn't true. If you do a mission for any of the properties, they continue to pay out the same money, and the majority of properties only give you one or two random encounter missions... The weed store is under attack, or Biker gangs are rowdy at the bar. You dispatch them once and that's it, back to normal as a property that you "own" that gives you virtually no reward and doesn't let you do anything. hell, even when you purchase the restaurant on the highway, or the bar in Paleto Bay, you can't even go into them.

I dunno, I've vented about this poor game design before. Was hoping it'd be tightened up for nextgen, disappointed that it wasn't.

motivations in a cartoon universe are rarely believable, if they were, the game would be serious instead of a universe where cops shoot people for staring at them too long. Within the alternate reality where you can pull homes off cliffs and rampage, you just roll with the choices.

You don't need believable motivations for those moments, like Trevors rampages, Michael's alien hallucinations, or cops who shoot you if you stare at them. You should have motivations for the main storylines in a game, especially a company that seemingly wants to deliver storyline in a game.

Why does Michael's family abandon him? Because he tries to .. tackle the yoga instructor. Really? That's what causes them to leave?
Why do they come back to him? Because they miss him ...
Why does Michael have to become a criminal again? Because his wife is cheating on him and this causes him to tear a building off of cliff..... Meanwhile, it's stated throughout the game that she's been cheating on him since they met.
Why does Trevor get mad at Michael when he realizes he's been lying to him for 10+ years and he secretly sold him out to the FBI? Oh, wait, that's right, Trevor doesn't get mad at him.
Why does Michael end up getting involved with Devin Weston? Because he says he's going to ... get him a part in a movie? ... What?

And, if you get into the motivations of the bad guys they're just utterly pointless and stupid. "Dumb jock FBI guy does bad things because he's a big dumb jock FBI guy." The characters who are supposed to pose a threat to you end up posing no threat to you at any time. Martin Madrazo is supposed to be some terrifying drug kingpin. Your only interactions with him are lighthearted bullying. The Lost Motorcycle gang is supposed to be this gang that Trevor has a real problem with... Yet at no time do the Lost ever do anythign to Trevor at all, in any way, at any time.

Worst of all is the interaction between the three characters themselves. Any sense of suspense between Michael and Trevor is mishandled in every scene. Any sense of Franklin trying to learn the ropes, learn the game, is similarly mishandled. There is zero character development from the first moment of the game to the last. Every character is exactly the same when they start the game as when they end it (maybe a SLIGHT exception to Lamar). Every other NPC is the same. If there is an NPC who is an annoying character who bleeds you for money when the game begins, he's an annoying character who bleeds you for money when the game ends.

FInally, there's no bad guy. Just no bad guy at all. This is par for Rockstar course, though, they haven't made a compelling antagonist since GTA San Andreas, over 10 years ago. A lot of my criticism of GTAIV, RDR, and GTAV -- storyline wise -- is because Rockstar got so much right with GTA San Andrea, and somehow in the years following it, they got so much wrong. The motivations for the characters in that game are believable and interesting... Sure, there are silly ones like "The Truth" and the guy who owns the hobby shop, but the major characters have realistic, believable motivations, and on top of that, they develop and change throughout the game. Characters who were friends in GTA:SA don't stay friends, characters who are presented as enemies end up coming around and being useful or being friendly. Most importantly, there is a believable antagonist who is present throughout most of the story, and his motivations are realistic for that character. Hell, as the game ends, you can almost sympathize with him. And despite this, I don't think that anybody considers GTA:SA a "serious" GTA game... There were zany characters, crazy subplots, and plenty of nonsense to make the game lighthearted... But the actual core narrative was a strong one, cliched sure, but strong. When Rockstar abandoned the "let's borrow other stories" philosophy (GTAIII, VC, and SA), it became obvious that they can't really craft narratives.

*edit*

Sorry for the long rant, it's not to you, just to GTA in general. I'm hoping if Rockstar puts together single player DLC for GTAV, they do it in an interesting way.

Muffdraul

sigh

I don't understand.

I do an assassination mission. I miss a stock peak. I reload. Stock price is still continuing to drop based on price before the load.

Are these movements based on the console timer and not the in game? I have to redo the assassination missions essentially.

Did you save after the assassination, and now you're going back to an earlier save? That happened to me in the last gen version. When I deleted the "after" saves that fixed it.

To clarify- When you say "I reload"-- make sure there are no other save files that were made more recently than the one you're reloading.

question:
-so I own GTAV for the PS3 and have a safe file on my butt.

much appreciated.

If you're talking about the returning player content, they will need to play through the prologue on PS3 and link their PSN to their social club account. This will have to be done before they start playing on PS4.

Breakdown Robot

Neo Member
I hate to be that guy but... *pushes up glasses* um, actually:

Why does Michael's family abandon him? Because he tries to .. tackle the yoga instructor. Really? That's what causes them to leave?

The incident with the Yoga instructor is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Each member of his family is upset with Michael for different reasons, but it mostly stems from his inability to cope with his situation and come to terms with who they are. Michael doesn't understand his family, and can't comprehend why they turned out the way they did.

Why do they come back to him? Because they miss him ...

Yes, and because he seems to be getting his shit together at that point. The family is starting to understand one another, and accept each other for who they are.

Why does Michael have to become a criminal again? Because his wife is cheating on him and this causes him to tear a building off of cliff..... Meanwhile, it's stated throughout the game that she's been cheating on him since they met.

He becomes a criminal again because it makes him feel alive, gives him purpose again. Michael is all but dead inside when we first see him in Los Santos. Kids hate him, the wife's fucking around on him... and it's only when he resumes doing what he's good at that he finds motivation to succeed again.

Why does Trevor get mad at Michael when he realizes he's been lying to him for 10+ years and he secretly sold him out to the FBI? Oh, wait, that's right, Trevor doesn't get mad at him.

I think Trevor mostly wants his friend and partner back. He's definitely mad at Michael, as illustrated in his conversations to Wade and Ron before heading to LS, but he's not about to go treating him like Mr. Raspberry Jam or anything.

Why does Michael end up getting involved with Devin Weston? Because he says he's going to ... get him a part in a movie? ... What?

Michael has a affinity for cheesy action films. It's how Trevor knows he's alive in the first place, because of Michael's instance of using cheesy one-liners during a job. This part of Michael is show again when he meets the movie guy and recognizes every quote. So yes, it's not entirely unreasonable that Michael would pull jobs for Devin because A) it gets his foot in the door at a real movie studio and B) it helps out Franklin, who he promised to find work for in the mission prior.

And, if you get into the motivations of the bad guys they're just utterly pointless and stupid. "Dumb jock FBI guy does bad things because he's a big dumb jock FBI guy."

"Dumb jock FBI guy" has a career to maintain, and the whole FIB/IAA rivalry is a satire on American government agencies working against each other.

The characters who are supposed to pose a threat to you end up posing no threat to you at any time. Martin Madrazo is supposed to be some terrifying drug kingpin. Your only interactions with him are lighthearted bullying.

You're right one with this one. I also can't hear Madrazo without hearing Strong Bad because of this video from awhile back.

The Lost Motorcycle gang is supposed to be this gang that Trevor has a real problem with... Yet at no time do the Lost ever do anythign to Trevor at all, in any way, at any time.

Trevor had problems with The Lost, we just don't see it. Almost the whole opening act involves basically destroying their remaining power structure.

Muffdraul

I think Trevor mostly wants his friend and partner back. He's definitely mad at Michael, as illustrated in his conversations to Wade and Ron before heading to LS, but he's not about to go treating him like Mr. Raspberry Jam or anything.

I am extremely puzzled by the downplaying here. There are so many scenes were Trevor is clearly outrageously FUCKING FURIOUS at Michael for what he did. Right up to the edge of literally becoming homicidal; who knows what would have happened if the Chinese gangsters hadn't shown up in North Yankton when Trevor and Michael had their standoff. This is definitely one of those "Did we even play the same game???" moments.

I'm enjoying playing through this right now but I don't think I've ever played such a well-liked game that had such horrible controls, christ.

The incident with the Yoga instructor is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Each member of his family is upset with Michael for different reasons, but it mostly stems from his inability to cope with his situation and come to terms with who they are. Michael doesn't understand his family, and can't comprehend why they turned out the way they did.
Yeah there's a lot of scenes. Many of them are optional. If you Hangout with Amanda with Michael, Jimmy with Franklin or Trevor... if you listen to the full conversation during the Amanda shoplifting scene. Also, Michael has a few Switch Scenes where he is arguing with Amanda at the restaurant, she's ignoring him on the bed, Michael is arguing about debt... there's probably at least 10 scenes or conversations that show different ways that Michael cheat, wasted money or got into debt, sits around being lazy smoking and drinking, etc.

But even then, they said... what really changed things is that Trevor came back and now Michael is never at home, and Amanda thinks he's out committing crime again. The only reason Amanda stayed with Michael in North Yankton is because Michael promised to abandon Trevor and stop committing crimes. So, he basically betrayed her and went back to his old life.
Yes, and because he seems to be getting his shit together at that point. The family is starting to understand one another, and accept each other for who they are.
There was a lot of labour that went into it, too. Michael has unique optional phone call conversations with Jimmy and Tracy. Franklin does, too, with Jimmy. There's also the forced conversations with Franklin and Amanda, or Michael and Tracy. Further, during some of the random Switch Scenes, Michael is shown to be pleading on the phone to his wife -- we see this at the start of Predator, too.

Basically, a lot of conciliation is going on in the background. It's not hidden but it's easy to miss if you don't free roam enough to randomly trigger it.

Plus, he becomes a movie producer. So, Amanda probably realizes she was partially wrong and starts to miss him, becomes fed up with Fabien... and she also sees that Michael made progress.
He becomes a criminal again because it makes him feel alive, gives him purpose again. Michael is all but dead inside when we first see him in Los Santos. Kids hate him, the wife's fucking around on him... and it's only when he resumes doing what he's good at that he finds motivation to succeed again.
Yeah, during Marriage Counseling, if you drive extra slow instead of regular speed, you get a long conversation about how he basically feels more alive than he has in 10 years. After Heist 1, he's so thrilled to 'be back.' So, a part of it is the excitement and adrenaline returning. But it's also that he's basically forced, too.

If you do the Therapist 2 scene BEFORE the Merryweather heist, instead of talking about that, he talks about how he's basically super in debt from stock marketing, gambling, scams, took out a second mortgage on his house to pay back some of the debt, and basically had no choice but to rob a store... he owed 2mil+ and not only was broke but was super in debt.
Another reason is money... if you listen to the full conversation at the start of Minor Turbulence, Trevor states his ultimate goal is basically to make TPI a huge 'business' and Michael is how he's going to do that. He is obviously still mad and constantly berates him for being a snake, but I'm sure he enjoys to have his old running buddy back and especially sees Michael as a way to make big money to grow TPI.

He's more mad that Michael became a snake then just the FIB thing. I think he's understanding of the FIB thing... he understands why he did that for his family. I mean, Trevor cares a lot about M's family, too. If you hangout with Jimmy as Trevor, you see this a bit, and obviously Fame or Shame shows it, too.

Plus, if you decide to do Bury the Hatchet as Trevor instead of Michael, Trevor when he drives out to SS and then flies to NY, he admits he made have let him loyalty to Michael blind him.

Michael has a affinity for cheesy action films. It's how Trevor knows he's alive in the first place, because of Michael's instance of using cheesy one-liners during a job. This part of Michael is show again when he meets the movie guy and recognizes every quote. So yes, it's not entirely unreasonable that Michael would pull jobs for Devin because A) it gets his foot in the door at a real movie studio and B) it helps out Franklin, who he promised to find work for in the mission prior.
Yeah this one is the easiest to see. Michael at the end of Blitz Play is probably the most happiest moment for any character in the game. You see this after the other Solomon missions, too. Michael is just absolutely ecstatic. At the end of Monkey Business, Michael basically just beams that he's so excited to get out of the desert and back to the studio...

There are optional examples, too. If you call Solomon after you go into Exile, Solomon tells him to come back fast because he's important, and Michael is very happy to hear this. Also, after the game, some of his Switch Scenes are Michael working at the studio, and beaming about he's making movies, telling Jimmy that his dad is a movie producer, etc. Some of his other Switch Scenes are all about movies, too; finishing watching a theater movie, and the start of Daddy's Little Girl he's just trying to enjoy his movies. He'll watch movies by himself or later with his kids, telling them to watch it because it's a classic, etc.

N° 2048

Getting a weird bug. When I start my game (about 25 hours put in) about 2 minutes later the game goes to a loading screen and restarts itself from the very first cutscene :S

I really really hate Trevor's early interaction with Michael and the FIB. Dude should be fucking pissed at him and instead he helps him being a lapdog for Steve Haines and even takes shit from them. This is not the Trevor from the first few hours. Stands out more to me in my second playthrough now....

Mine was an

The story is a mess and the endings are weak. The one you get is by far the best. The other two final missions barely qualify as missions.

Funny enough, I'm having more fun in Chicago than in Los Santos, where the highlight was, and not joking, hearing "West End Girls" by Pet Shop Boys over the radio...

Maybe I'll give another try when the PC version hits.

Yeah, Trevor was reallyyyyyyyy crazy in the beginning. Every time someone talks to him, I'll be like "Oh shit..what's Trevor gonna do this time?".

Then when he finally meets Michael, he's so tame in comparison.

The Lost Motorcycle gang is supposed to be this gang that Trevor has a real problem with... Yet at no time do the Lost ever do anythign to Trevor at all, in any way, at any time.
They ransack his trailer.

Pretty lame in the scheme of things but he does
visit their trailer park on two occasions and mostly wipe out their Sandy Shores presence: right after taking out JK, and then again just after their reinforcements arrive (immediately before he leaves for Los Santos).

Top Bottom