• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoism

Any word on Legendary being unlocked from the start?

thought it always was?....

new thread...gotaa love halogaf....<3
Heroic solo, with some beer, and talking to some mates over Skype or something. Forward unto dong.

Have to say I will probably do this the first time... I always did coop with my bro in halo3-on...on Legendary... so heroic solo for me... I fucked myself in Reach by doing the solo scoring.. if you put that option on, it goes to the score menu after each mission I just want to go through in one sitting without mission menu breaks.I also didn't even know about the very last mission in Reach because of this... blew my mind a week later when I played it....

Overdoziz

Banned
More than likely because people haven't figured out how to properly put it to use.
I think the biggest issue is that object shadows seemingly don't amplify other shadows so all you get is one other shade of gray, no darker shadows, no lighter shadows. This could mainly become an issue for enclosed maps where you end up with everything being covered by one big shadow which makes everything look very monotone, possibly more so than in Reach. Someone posted a picture of Relay some time ago which showed off a part of the map that was completely covered in shadows and you couldn't even make out where the floor ended and some other objects began.

It will definitely help maps that are build into the maps geometry and are open, though. Something like Sanctuary will probably look a lot better with the new lighting system because it's an open map with some simple structures in it.

blamite

Normally I'd do Heroic first, but I'm thinking maybe I'll do normal this time? Frankie did advise it, and I think it'll add a little more replay value. Normally I'd just go Heroic day 1, and finish legendary within a week or two, but if I do normal first I can get an extra playthrough and not feel like I've gotten everything out of the Campaign so quickly.

1. Campaign - Solo, Heroic
2. Spartan Ops (Week One) - Solo, Heroic
3. War Games until my battle bros finish their solo runs.
4. Campaign - Co-Op, Legendary
5. Spartan Ops (Week One) - Co-Op, Legendary
6. War Games until my thumbs fall off.
7. Spartan Ops (Week Two) - Co-Op, Legendary

Repeat 6 and 7 for eight more weeks as each episode is released. Throw some GAF customs and Skull-enabled Campaign runs in there for good measure.

Louis Wu

Would you consider Wu a good campaign player as well?
Ghaleon's considerably better than me at stuff like Firefight and Campaign.

That said, I finished every previous Halo title (except for Halo 2) on Legendary, and I actually ENJOY Reach on Legendary. ;)

I'm looking forward to the challenge - but I'm not sure a first playthrough is the right choice for that challenge.

I think the biggest issue is that object shadows seemingly don't amplify other shadows so all you get is one other shade of gray, no darker shadows, no lighter shadows. This could mainly become an issue for enclosed maps where you end up with everything being covered by one big shadow which makes everything look very monotone, possibly more so than in Reach. Someone posted a picture of Relay some time ago which showed off a part of the map that was completely covered in shadows and you couldn't even make out where the floor ended and some other objects began.

It will definitely help maps that are build into the maps geometry and are open, though. Something like Sanctuary will probably look a lot better with the new lighting system because it's an open map with some simple structures in it.

Yeah, I would have liked a way to set an object's properties so that they were unaffected by shadows a la Reach. Basically so you could place blocks like ceilings that wouldn't cast shadows.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Ghaleon's considerably better than me at stuff like Firefight and Campaign.

That said, I finished every previous Halo title (except for Halo 2) on Legendary, and I actually ENJOY Reach on Legendary. ;)

I'm looking forward to the challenge - but I'm not sure a first playthrough is the right choice for that challenge.

We're actually recommending solo normal as the first playthrough experience for the average player. The Prometheans present some new challenges, and we've all spent the last decade memorizing the Covenant's bag of combat tricks.

This being NeoGAF YMMV, but solo Legendary on the first playthrough would not be my recommendation. Learn the campaign and enemies first, then tackle Legendary.

I always run through campaign on normal first just to enjoy it. Then I do the solo Legendary run. I've completed every Halo besides 2 on Legendary solo so Halo 4 will definitely be added to the list eventually.

neoism

We're actually recommending solo normal as the first playthrough experience for the average player. The Prometheans present some new challenges, and we've all spent the last decade memorizing the Covenant's bag of combat tricks.

This being NeoGAF YMMV, but solo Legendary on the first playthrough would not be my recommendation. Learn the campaign and enemies first, then tackle Legendary.

woow really.... is Legendary the hardest ever... or course this is said every game though..

343 has been pretty explicit about normal being the way to go with Halo 4 for the press at least - I wonder if that applies to us aswell or if 343 expect the longtime fans to go in on heroic.

Oh just got beat - still tempted to go for heroic - Davids post seems to apply to newer players.

Overdoziz

Banned

I've got my Plasma Pistol and DMR/BR ready for a Solo Legendary playthrough.

Sofa King

Sounds like a future episode of Rage Quit is in order for Legendary Halo 4

Jedi Otter

Halo CE is the only game I haven't beaten on Legendary. I have NO CLUE how it's possible.
And I'll most likely play Halo 4 on Normal first, and eventually a Legendary solo run.

bGanci

Banned
Ill probably do a normal run first. Rather take in the story then understimate the Prometheans and facepalm myself lol.

Beckx

Reach really wasn't that hard though... The sections where it was "hard" were because of artificial limits on the player like the Falcon rides.

Reach is in the "hard but generally achievable by brute force" category.

Unlike stuff like Vanquish challenges, CAVE shooters, etc., where you just hit a skill ceiling and no amount of brute forcing it will work.

JuanGGZ

Banned

The first time I played Halo 4 at Microsoft, the game was set on normal. I directly put it in heroic, and that was a very good challenge to fight against the Prometheans.

Then I tried Legendary. That was not a lot more difficult than heroic, but the Prometheans seem to be smarter than before, and they were searching me all over the map, even when I was hidden behind a rock.

Oh God, if this game manages to be as tough or tougher than Halo 2 legendary, I am gonna cry. Still haven't beat the first mission of that game on Legendary yet, maybe one day.

My plan for Halo 4 once I get it:

1. Co-Op on Heroic with 3 of my friends until we beat it
2. Spartan Ops 1, probably Solo Normal
3. Sleep
4. War Games
5. Forge

Later down the line I'll play solo Campaign on Legendary.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm going straight into co-op legendary as usual. Hopefully the respawn works like all Halo games not called Halo 2.

Then it's off to Spartan Ops.

Well we all played those on Heroic because that's what was advised. We were told that experienced players should just go to Heroic. It's different this time around.

I usually end up doing the campaign once only, so it's going to be Legendary. I'm sure it will be tough, but it can't be as bad as Dark Souls.

Oh God, if this game manages to be as tough or tougher than Halo 2 legendary, I am gonna cry. Still haven't beat the first mission of that game on Legendary yet, maybe one day.

I thought legendary in H2 was relatively painless.

I struggled far more (initially) with CE's legendary difficulty.

Elros

Sorry if already asked & answered, but does 343 plan to make a free DLC with the original voices (like Bioware did for Mass Effect 3), for people who buy the game in an other version ?

When I see the french translation of the achievements list, I'm a little concerned for the rest of the game ... :/

Tawpgun

Halo 4 Plan: If I can play on launch night, get right into War Games.

When I have a good chunk of free time (ex. ALL OF TUESDAY) Shut myself in the room and play campaign, Solo Heroic. Make Prometheans my bitch.

More War Games/Get a bro squad of SpOps players, and beat the weekly missions. Pray for input lag fix.

I actually want to talk about that. As cool as SpOps seems, if they haven't fixed the input lag issue the mode is going to suffer a MASSIVE blow.

CyReN

1) 10 Games of MP
2) Campaign on Normal (play legendary solo sometime later that month)
3) Beat the first 5 missions of S.O
4) MP for dayz.

I guess I'll be a man and admit it. Aside from Halo 2 I found Reach to be the hardest on Legendary. People get too caught up in the "I don't want people to think I'm a bitch" mode and say "Oh that wasn't hard, that's not what I'm saying."

Parts of Reach on Legendary were fucking HARD especially if you were sleep deprived and the first time through.

Also, if you like Demon Souls/Dark souls and the challenge you get from games like that, why in the hell would you play this on anything but Legendary.

That's the mentality I'm taking with me, and I beat Dark souls 4 times!

Can't wait for that challenge.

Yeah buddy!

I've played through it like 12 times... lol. 500+ hours into it easy. Up to NG++++. ;) Speaking of DkS, the new DLC comes out tomorrow for the xbox. Totally pumped, but I may save it for after I get my Halo 4 groove on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I thought legendary in H2 was relatively painless.

I struggled far more (initially) with CE's legendary difficulty.

Imo, the issue with Halo 2 isn't the difficulty. It's the way respawning worked in co-op. It made legendary far more frustrating.

Remind me...? (I can't remember what was different about the respawn in Halo 2.)

If one person died, both players went back to checkpoint.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I've played through it like 12 times... lol. 500+ hours into it easy. Up to NG++++. ;) Speaking of DkS, the new DLC comes out tomorrow for the xbox. Totally pumped, but I may save it for after I get my Halo 4 groove on.

I'll be all over that shit.

Seriously, there's no way Halo 4 is harder than Dark souls, if it is, that's some seriously awesome shit (so long as it isn't stupidly cheap hard).

Sanjuro

1. Cry about having no Mark V.
2. Cry some moar.
3. Play one game of multiplayer, hate my helmet.
4. Legendary, unlock Mark VI.
5. Pout.
6. GoTY.

Dark souls was awesome but I don't think I'll be able to get into the DLC. I loved invading other peoples games, though. I had hundreds of MP victories with the darkmoon blade buff.

I think it will be good for those who build enclosed maps. They have to start actively thinking about where to put windows, open ceilings, etc. I'm definitely excited for it. :)

Booties

Banned
I want to play Legendary first, but this is a new trilogy with new enemies. I'd like to adjust to them first. On the other hand, I like getting all the achievements at once for completion because it just says "5 for 400" or something like that. Also, I am sure there is a special legendary ending so I'd like to see that on the first run as well.

Can you just play the last level on legendary to get the legendary ending in halo 3 and reach or does it know?

JuanGGZ

Banned
Sorry if already asked & answered, but does 343 plan to make a free DLC with the original voices (like Bioware did for Mass Effect 3), for people who buy the game in an other version ?

When I see the french translation of the achievements list, I'm a little concerned for the rest of the game ... :/

Already asked, without any answer, that's why a petition has been launched today. Hope you're in. =)

Sai-kun

Banned
Yay, last OT before Halo 4

wXW5e.gif

Official Halo OT gif is this not?

fucking lol how do you people manage to do this. do you have this bookmarked or what?

needs new sai dancing gif

To me, difficulties are like levels of dating. I want a good level that will keep my interest, but not jump straight into getting fucked in the ass every five seconds. Gotta work your way up to that stage, get to know each other, feel each other out a bit.

I would hate to play a new Halo on Legendary first. Hiding behind rocks every 5 seconds to recharge your shield, approaching enemy encounters and you haven't the slightest idea what to do.

Beckx

Imo, the issue with Halo 2 isn't the difficulty. It's the way respawning worked in co-op. It made legendary far more frustrating.

If one person died, both players went back to checkpoint.

Skulls are the same as H3/Reach, so that will only happen if Iron is on.

Can you just play the last level on legendary to get the legendary ending in halo 3 and reach or does it know?

Must have all the levels completed on legendary.

Amen. I appreciate From Software for the amazing mechanics the put together to make a game that was hard, but fair. If you die it is on you, not the game.

Which is very different that Halo series Legendary. "Fair" is not the word I'd use. Reach Legendary elites aren't as deadly/badass as Black Knights, but they are a whole lot less fair in their design. (I think the DLC is Wednesday.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom