• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

Gowans

thx for the tip, managed to redeem the code via xbox.com/profile/messages. only working method seemingly, tried via xbox message automatic, manual in xbl store, manual over xbpx.com store. but only worked via profile messages on xbox.com.

this is pretty irritating and needs to be handled much better ...
Thanks only way it worked had errors on console, web, Xbox app, win10 store but not here

Theorry

What are the system requirements for this game?

Minimum:
DirectX 11
4 GB RAM
Intel i3 or equivalent
Intel HD Graphics 4200, NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M, AMD Radeon R5 M240

Recommended:
DirectX 11
8 GB RAM
Intel i5 or equivalent
NVIDIA GTX 560, 650, 750 or AMD HD 5850, 6870, 7790

StUnNeR H2K

as a PC gamer first, there's no confusion
and I can't stress that enough - zero, none, not even a little
as to what the phrase 'early access' means.

As a PC gamer. I'm not a PC gamer, haven't played anything on PC really since early 2000's. So you can then understand how someone who is only involved with the Xbox culture would be confused. Currently on the Xbox a game that is pre-release beta, or as you deem "Early Access" is referred to as (Game Preview).

Everything I've every played that was "Early Access" was complete final games on Xbox.

frontieruk

as a PC gamer first, there's no confusion, and I can't stress that enough - zero, none, not even a little, as to what the phrase 'early access' means.

As a PC gamer the statement 'get early access to' isnt a the same as 'get the game in early access' the first implies you are getting the full release ready game, the later implies is a game still in the oven, the fact that the game page only updated today to site it as an early access title hints that they wanted to release today but have had development issues and to meet their claims of a Dec 20 release changed to an early access title.

I wonder if Frankie will give us any more info, as he didn't seem happy with the messaging behind this.

As a PC gamer. I'm not a PC gamer, haven't played anything on PC really since early 2000's. So you can then understand how someone who is only involved with the Xbox culture would be confused. Currently on the Xbox a game that is pre-release beta, or as you deem "Early Access" is referred to as (Game Preview).

Everything I've every played that was "Early Access" was complete final games on Xbox.

you've got a point. forgive my snark, I kind of figured early access had already become the ubiquitous name for this sort of thing. It's what I usually see and hear the practice called in online articles and podcasts, at least.

When did you pre-order, either way though, you've been sent at least one other code already I believe?

December 7th was the day I made my pre order, yeah Karl and Fuchsdh tried to help me with their codes but I'm getting an error message I can't redeem them

Ade

FWIW, while it claims to be playable on an OG Surface, its really not.

Little in the way of touch specific controls btw

December 7th was the day I made my pre order, yeah Karl and Fuchsdh tried to help me with their codes but I'm getting an error message I can't redeem them

Have you tried all the workarounds that've been mentioned (Website, W10 store redeem etc etc) as I'm not seeing anyone else still with the issue that can't get round it.

When all is said and done though, this is a massive clusterfuck, we've people without codes, people who won't get them for over a week, people who ordered digital and physical copies from other places who have NO IDEA if they'll ever get a code and then at the last second the game is magically "early access" as in beta, as opposed to "early access" as in "access to it early"

zeox

do you still have to wait for a key even if you preorder via the windows store? if so that's...... really really stupid

FWIW, while it claims to be playable on an OG Surface, its really not.

Little in the way of touch specific controls btw

Have you tried all the workarounds that've been mentioned (Website, W10 store redeem etc etc) as I'm not seeing anyone else still with the issue that can't get round it.

When all is said and done though, this is a massive clusterfuck, we've people without codes, people who won't get them for over a week, people who ordered digital and physical copies from other places who have NO IDEA if they'll ever get a code and then at the last second the game is magically "early access" as in beta, as opposed to "early access" as in "access to it early"

Yeah I have tried everything, all I wanted to do was do my work that's it god dammit :/

fernoca

I pre ordered yesterday at BestBuy, no code. FUCK YOU MS and 343. Worst possible way to do this
Is physical getting codes early too? Unless you preordered digitally, which in that case you'll get one over the upcoming days. Though you might need to contact Best Buy.

Toa Freak

Neo Member
Hey guys, quoting the most strident post - this is a completely valid complaint about our messaging that I simply didn't realize we'd flubbed. With the Holiday noise and chaos and launch of HW2 (and the remaster) and juggling multiple things, I didn't even realize we'd ended up with this noise and misunderstanding. Most folks are out for the break, I'm working on clarity and focus for messaging right now. Will be a while.

Frankie, you and 343 have nothing to apologize for when it comes to the DE being early access. It was stated, clearly, in the launch trailer, and in the announcement news post on Waypoint.

StUnNeR H2K

you've got a point. forgive my snark, I kind of figured early access had already become the ubiquitous name for this sort of thing. It's what I usually see and hear the practice called in online articles and podcasts, at least.

You would think Microsoft would know this being they are PC also, but again more fuel to the fire of this confusion that is the Halo Wars: Definitive Edition.

m23

Frankie, you and 343 have nothing to apologize for when it comes to the DE being early access. It was stated, clearly, in the launch trailer, and in the announcement news post on Waypoint.

Lol oh please.

I did not know early access means unfinished game. I think many of us didn't.

Cranster

Banned
It was stated that we get early access to the game, nowhere did they state we got early access to an incomplete version of the game.

There is a huge difference and 343i need to realize that they need to stop holding this kind of information back especially after the MCC fiasco.

Ade

That's... debatable... the terminology for "unfinished" has always been Game Preview with regards to Microsoft/XB1, for example there have been previous games (and HW2 perhaps) that offer "3 days early access" with the Deluxe versions, does that mean its 3 days of a beta then?

Having had "Get early access to HW DE" plastered everywhere has not once made me think it'd be an unfinished product.. FWIW ive played 5 skirmishes and am on mission 5, no issues, perhaps not calling it EA would've been better.

nillapuddin

theres definitely a very nice visual and perf bump

I popped in my 360 disc and took a comparison pic but my screenshots keep failing to upload from the DE

I don't understand the need for the code messages stuff. If I go to the Windows Store entry for Halo Wars Definitive Edition it says "owned" (since I own the HW2 ultimate package)
Why do I have to activate a code (that may take forever to get here) if I already own the game in the store?
When Steam offers other games as prepurchase/special edition rewards you get them on your account and you don't need to do anything else if you want to play them.

Spitz

Day is over here no code for me ordered at 5. Dec. Time for bed now this is not how you should do this Microsoft. :(

Day is over here no code for me ordered at 5. Dec. Time for bed now this is not how you should do this Microsoft. :(

Yup,
it makes almost no sense to advertise getting early access on the 20th, and then communicate very little about how you have to Win some sort of code lottery in order to actually even start downloading the thing. That's just setting people up for disappointment.

Add on the fact that this is apparently not even a finished version of the game, like I expected, and today is turning into a pretty big bummer. If you are paying super high, deluxe edition pricing for a game, to get early access, you should be getting early access day one. I can't see how MS doesn't have the infrastructure to do this properly.

This should be a positive thing, do this right, and people will spread the word.

What's worse is I got home turned my Xbox on and splashed on my home page and store page is preorder Halo Wars 2 get Halo Wars DE. I did over a month ago give me my code.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Whoa, glad I held off on pre-ordering this. I really wanted to play through HW again, but this will make it pretty easy to wait for it to hit $10 or less. Thanks for saving me some money.

Akai__

EYRpuaz.gif

Werd

I was going to take a 4K clip of a 3v3 fight, I expected ShadowPlay not to work but windows game DVR says this game does not support recording too. Is there no easy way to record W10 apps?
edit: Just had to use shadowplay desktop record mode and switch back. Exporting a quick clip.

Madness

I pre ordered yesterday at BestBuy, no code. FUCK YOU MS and 343. Worst possible way to do this

You do realize it is only if you preorder the digital version ultimate edition right? If you preordered physical you have no one to blame but yourself.

kpzero

Neo Member
Early access game, the cheevos are there they just won't 'unlock' on your list until officially released, just play through collect them and get a large boost of gamerscore on the release date
That isn't true. My achievements are popping and I have seen others mention it too.

Nvm misread your post

Mrbob

I dunno, I think it's hard to assume everyone saw this trailer and the product page itself didn't list the halo wars de as early access. I think the complaints are valid. Heck I had no idea hw de is incomplete until I went back to this thread. MS information has been deceptively sparse. Glad I didn't preorder.

PaulLFC

"You own this product"

And yet, thanks to the stupid "waves" system that's been employed for who knows what reason, I can't play it. I have to wait for a key to arrive at some undetermined point in the future to be able to unlock the product I supposedly "own" which is already registered to my account (yes I know, I technically own a licence not the product etc).

Thanks, Microsoft.

Top Bottom