• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

Anyone that preordered AFTER December 14th get a code?

And for those that placed their order before the 14th and didn't receive a on code day one, have you tried to contact Microsoft support and inquire there?

I shouldn't have to contact support for this kind of stuff. I tried tweeting at MS staff but got no answer, as usual.

StUnNeR H2K

Anyone see the promo for the Halo Wars: DE on your Xbox One Home screen? I've already seen a few post elsewhere of others following the promo, pre-ordering the Ultimate Edition, then asking how they play HW:DE, not realizing its a 7 - 10 day wait. Yes the in is their hidden in the "More..." option of the description of the Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition, but the confusion is rising.

Confusing part is it puts a 10 MB placeholder of the Halo Wars: DE on your Xbox One console as soon as you pre-order it.

mcfrank

Anyone see the promo for the Halo Wars: DE on your Xbox One Home screen? I've already seen a few post elsewhere of others following the promo, pre-ordering the Ultimate Edition, then asking how they play HW:DE, not realizing its a 7 - 10 day wait. Yes the in is their hidden in the "More..." option of the description of the Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition, but the confusion is rising.

Confusing part is it puts a 10 MB placeholder of the Halo Wars: DE on your Xbox One console as soon as you pre-order it.

Yeah they are advertising a game you can pay for now and not get for 7 to 10 days which you won't know if you do not expand. Frankie said he was going to give some more info, but they said that we were going to get a full explanation about what went wrong with MCC too and we never got it. So, who knows?

😭

maxresdefault.jpg

The one thing that still boggles my mind is why the codes need to be given out in waves? Is it that hard to put the "early access" build version code into a Xbox Live code generator produce a bunch of codes then send them out. There is a 10 mb place holder for those that buy the Ultimate Edition. Use a bot that picks out those Gamertags/Microsoft accounts that have the 10 mb place holder and send the codes.

Wait, so you had to preorder on the 14th if you wanted to play on the 20th?

That's ridiculous.

Also:

https://twitter.com/Danayoub/status/811587212705828864

Supposed to be another drop of codes for HW DE tomorrow. If you pre-ordered and still don't have your code tomorrow, we'll collect tags

Looks like they won't send codes today... because of reasons.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Wait, so you had to preorder on the 14th if you wanted to play on the 20th?

That's ridiculous.

Also:

https://twitter.com/Danayoub/status/811587212705828864

Supposed to be another drop of codes for HW DE tomorrow. If you pre-ordered and still don't have your code tomorrow, we'll collect tags

Looks like they won't send codes today... because of reasons.

No wave today? Ayy el mao what a clusterfuck...

I'm done. I'll play your "early access" when you finally decide to give me what you promise, unless you're gonna bait n switch again that is.

In the meanwhile, Christmas.

^Wow......

"Hey guys, you showed us your enthusiasm by pre-ordering on day 1. Since you didnt do it on day X which landed on the 14th of December, you don't get your code today. Come back to me if you dont get it in the coming weeks. Thanks"

The person who thought of the SOP on communicating this issue, needs some 1:1 time with their manager.

PaulLFC

^Wow......

"Hey guys, you showed us your enthusiasm by pre-ordering on day 1. Since you didnt do it on day X which landed on the 14th of December, you don't get your code today. Come back to me if you dont get it in the coming weeks. Thanks"

The person who thought of the SOP on communicating this issue, needs some 1:1 time with their manager.
The entire system is absurd. Who thought this "gradual key generation" thing was a good idea in the first place? Just send all the codes at once, we aren't talking millions of pre-orders here. A software company like Microsoft should be more than capable of doing this properly. At what point did this system seem like a good idea?

"Hey everyone, I've just thought of a way we can annoy people who want to pay us money for our products - I mean needlessly annoy them when we don't need to, so that some of them probably think twice about pre-ordering from us again."
"Perfect! Do it."

mcfrank

This might be the straw that broke the camels back for me and buying new Halo games from 343. I was disappointed with 4 and the campaign in 5 was terrible. MCC is in a decent enough state now that I can play CE online reliably (though Lord knows it took waaaaay to long to get to that point), so maybe i just make a clean break with the series now. 343 consistently does user hostile things which are so easily avoidable that it makes you really scratch your head at how their PR and communications can be so badly mis-managed.

StUnNeR H2K

jVoyI7v.png

Cancelled my pre-order just now. Not playing this guessing game on the date I get the code. If I want to play Halo Wars I still have the 360 disc, and will wait to pre-order the day before release.

When I cancelled the order with MS support they told me I would miss out on the freebies if I didn't pre-order. I'll still receive them if I pre-order it a few days before in Feb. Just no point sitting on the pre-order right now since they can charge me the full $80 10 days before release (which who knows if they are going off official release date or "Early Access" release date).

Johnohno

Technically this pre-order option was up on Xbox Store shortly after the announcement at E3. So someone who pre-ordered back in June may still be waiting? Here I'm upset and I only pre-ordered a few days ago, if mine was back in June and I was still waiting...

I think that support rep is lying, or doesn't actually know. I pre-ordered mine as soon as it was available after E3 and got my code yesterday.

StUnNeR H2K

How the hell does it take weeks to send out a code?

They have someone who rolls their face across the keyboard to create the 5x5 code, and verifying each one is unique by plugging them into an excel sheet and using the "find duplicates" option. Then send them out one at a time through the Xbox Live messenger system.

That's my guess based on how slow the process is.

deoee

Dear god why would you send out codes in waves to paying customers?

Do they have to manually write the xbox messages for all the
pre-orders?

frontieruk

Pre-ordered Dec 3rd, no code yet. This wave BS is really short sighted.

Placed order 11th Dec had my code yesterday, it's a fucked up lottery system that ms uses, my gears codes for preordering the gears 1 remaster were sent out 4 months after the offer closed. And probably only because I was whining so much on the Xbox forums.

Wait WTF?!? So those who preordered before the 14th are now shit out of luck and have to wait a week or more compared to those that preordered on the 14th getting them now? Microsoft what the hell are you doing?

Hawk269

This might be the straw that broke the camels back for me and buying new Halo games from 343. I was disappointed with 4 and the campaign in 5 was terrible. MCC is in a decent enough state now that I can play CE online reliably (though Lord knows it took waaaaay to long to get to that point), so maybe i just make a clean break with the series now. 343 consistently does user hostile things which are so easily avoidable that it makes you really scratch your head at how their PR and communications can be so badly mis-managed.

While I agree 100% with everything you just said, the support for Halo 5 has been outstanding and all the FREE updates has been pretty incredible and something not normally done. The problem is that I believe they knew they fucked up pretty bad with MCC and they are making amends with the support and free support of Halo 5. The other problem now is all that goodwill they generated by the support of Halo 5 is going down the toilet because of what is happening with Halo Wars.

Mind you, this is just the Definitive Edition of the original game...if this is such a cluster fuck, how bad is going to be when the real sequel Halo Wars 2 comes out? We going to get waves of release times with that as well?

I hate to be the person that keeps pointing this out, but I have been a professional in my field for over 32 years and when something goes bad, you usually talk and hold accountable the person in charge. For MCC and Halo Wars DE/Halo Wars 2 that is Dan Ayoub, he was the man in charge with MCC and we know how that turned out and here we are again with him in charge of something and look what is happening. The guy seems passionate about the game, I don't deny that, but it seems like there is lack of management and a lack of communication that he needs training in. This man tarnished an entire Franchise with the MCC and now he is doing it again. I know there may be others we can point the finger at, but when your are the man in charge of a project, you bear the responsibility and it seems that Dan lacks managerial skills/communication skills.

I am not going to write off 343i just yet, but my faith in them has been getting damaged. They did a lot to make things right with Halo 5 as far as support, they decided to bring back Halo Wars with a remake and sequel which was great for me, but this cluster fuck has been bad. To me it is now going to come down to them fixing the messaging, getting people codes and the support they provide for Halo Wars DE and Halo Wars 2. If we don't get balance patches, additional Maps (HW2) and other things, that may seal the deal for me supporting this developer. What is that saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"?

343i, Please fix this and make things right!!! Screw the codes, just give everyone at least a FREE copy of the original game since it is now BC or Give away the Definitive Edition to everyone. What better way to promote your NEW game than to get people playing the previous version?

Timeless

It's a good thing this game is coming out in waves, because I've never seen more than two other people online in an open lobby since it came out. Really glad that MS is gradually ramping up the server load, because I don't know if they'd be able to handle it otherwise.

This is a clusterfuck, even by "early access gradual code rollout" standards. The only reasons to to a gradual rollout I can think of:
-build hype (lol, and distrust and hate)
-don't overload servers
-tighten up certain bugs without making people mad from a "buggy" game

But...

-distrust
-fucking nobody are on these servers most hours of the day and I have to search for 10-20 minutes to find a game, if that even works
-the game looks borderline ready for release. Like I said in this thread, Fallout 4 shipped far buggier and sold millions of copies. This isn't a MCC scenario. I've encountered some weirdness with the game not saving my fullscreen setting but in-game it's been perfect besides 1-3 minor hitches (and my GPU is old, a 560 Ti, so that may be it).

As people are saying in the posts above me, I'm sure as hell not buying other Halo games on release after this debacle. I'm glad I'm a Halo Wars fan and not a Halo fan (just never got into the series) because I couldn't take this constant disconnect between being a flagship Microsoft franchise and MS being unable to ship a game as stably or reliably as Activision (Call of Duty), EA (Titanfall 2), or Ubisoft (Far Cry 4). The communication for this is awful and they should've had a contingency plan for communication if everyone was going to be off for the holidays.

Hawk269

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUXq9i2MCk&feature=youtu.be

Its much sharper and that's the easiest thing to see.

On top of that it runs a lot smoother, no screen tearing as of yet. The other thing is the fine details. There is a lot more effects around the units, like when you have flame throwers their idle animation is cleaned up and more fire effects/smoke effects are apparent. The bases look cleaner with improved textures. But yeah at first sight it does not look that much different, but it is night and day when playing. I had all 3 running at the same time, original on the Xbox 360, PC at 4k and Xbox One and when I went to the 360 version it seemed like an eyesore, seemed blurry, low res, jagged etc. Now I never thought like this until the new one came out, but yeah it is a pretty big improvement.

Lee

If I use the Definitive Edition code, am I locked into the preorder? Or can I still cancel the Halo Wars 2 preorder between now and release if I've redeemed this code and played the Definitive Edition?

I'm irrationally afraid of making the wrong move and having Microsoft ban my special snowflake gamertag.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If I use the Definitive Edition code, am I locked into the preorder? Or can I still cancel the Halo Wars 2 preorder between now and release if I've redeemed this code and played the Definitive Edition?

I'm irrationally afraid of making the wrong move and having Microsoft ban my special snowflake gamertag.

If you cancel they'll probably just revoke it

Timeless

Come on. Surely there's a way to change MP characters... lol
With controller: Before readying up in a game you searched for, put your cursor over your banner and press... A? Or Y? Some face button, for "options" and you can pick your character.

In a game you host, do that before you start the host operation.

ManCannon

I'm sorry to those who've yet to receive a code, I know this is a frustrating and frankly, baffling, experience. We all agree it's far from ideal but evidently this is the way it had to be this time out. That said, I'm told that another wave of codes will be going out by tomorrow so I'm hoping those of you that are still without will get yours in time for the weekend. The team here knew going into it that this was far from the ideal scenario but unfortunately had no other real path with this particular offer for reasons I admittedly don't personally understand but are out of our direct control.

To those that are playing, what do you think?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm sorry to those who've yet to receive a code, I know this is a frustrating and frankly, baffling, experience. We all agree it's far from ideal but evidently this is the way it had to be this time out. That said, I'm told that another wave of codes will be going out by tomorrow so I'm hoping those of you that are still without will get yours in time for the weekend. The team here knew going into it that this was far from the ideal scenario but unfortunately had no other real path with this particular offer for reasons I admittedly don't personally understand but are out of our direct control.

To those that are playing, what do you think?

You know, it would be less frustrating had you not more or less promised that every order before the 14th would get it the 20th only to not give everyone who ordered before the 14th their code on the 20th, to then proceed to skip today to send the remaining codes and continue to go on to "maybe you'll get yours tomorrow and for the weekend..."

Its Christmas weekend, I had today and tomorrow to play and got my hopes up but by the time I get that key from you I'm shit out of luck frankly, until Monday. It's a disappointing display from you guys.

You know its BS how the promises keep coming but always ends with caveats the day before or whatever.

But I'm done arguing over it and say how disappointing the lack of or communication in general is. You know you fudged it up and more importantly, I know you did.

Time to look forward to the game during next week, hopefully I have a code by then.

Happy Holiday.

ManCannon

You know, it would be less frustrating had you not more or less promised that every order before the 14th would get it the 20th only to not give everyone who ordered before the 14th their code on the 20th, to then proceed to skip today to send the remaining codes and continue to go on to "maybe you'll get yours tomorrow and for the weekend..."

Its Christmas weekend, I had today and tomorrow to play and got my hopes up but by the time I get that key from you I'm shit out of luck frankly, until Monday. It's a disappointing display from you guys.

You know its BS how the promises keep coming but always ends with caveats the day before or whatever.

But I'm done arguing over it and say how disappointing the lack of or communication in general is. You know you fudged it up and more importantly, I know you did.

Happy Holiday.

I wish I/we had a way to remedy this, but there's nothing at all I can do at this rate but apologize, which understandably doesn't mean much at this point. I noticed the blog says "should" receive a code on 12/20 but yeah, I really can't defend the situation, it's disappointing to say the least.

Mrbob

If you preorder today are you not eligible to get a code?

Maybe? Seems like a lottery system right now. Perhaps you'll get lucky and get a code before someone who preordered previous of the 14th of December.

I still haven't seen a good explanation as to why there is a code system in waves. Also why this wasn't explained during pre ordering the ultimate edition. I had to come here after seeing Halo Wars DE hadn't popped up playable in my Library. Imagine the people who don't have access to GAF and had no idea what was going on.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I wish I/we had a way to remedy this, but there's nothing at all I can do at this rate but apologize, which understandably doesn't mean much at this point. I noticed the blog says "should" receive a code on 12/20 but yeah, I really can't defend the situation, it's disappointing to say the least.

Just to note; I'm not singling you or anyone out as sole responsible, but the fact that you built good will with things like Halo 5, at least for me when I played it, only to have someone or something constantly tear it all down and only make it worse for you to rebuild, is frustrating to say the least.

Both for me and you, the people who work there I assume.

It sucks for all parties, but its about time you had someone look at how things are managed for the good of the series, the people who work there and us, the customers, so we don't have to deal with this all the damn time.

Top Bottom