• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

Hawk269

So is it just a game browser at this point?

Yes pretty much. You can browse by team size, 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3 etc, you can browse by game type as well. That part is not that bad, the bad part is there is no leaderboards, Ranking and such. I know a lot of OG Halo Wars players that were looking forward to a fresh start with Ranking and such, but none of them now are looking forward to this. I don't understand why they took the other stuff out, it was a great feature a common feature amongst on-line RTS games, why would they remove that?

Game looks great however, I played a bit more of the single player and then went back to the 360 version and damn does it look so much better and very smooth. Loving the game, but once the SP content is done, it was MP and Rankings/Leaderboards I was looking forward too.

I did get in a 3vs3 game, but it was over pretty quick, one guy on my team quit early, the opposing team was able get a big tank battalion really fast and as they attacked my remaining team mate he quit as soon as the attack started, leaving me on a 3 on 1 and I was toast within minutes. Was still fun but I sorely miss Ranking and matchmaking. Right now you can have noob in a game versus a vet and they would be toast, with matchmaking and the true skill the OG did a pretty good job at matching you with others. Maybe since this is now a Beta/Early access version that the other online features will return.

Timeless

Yes, once there's an actual online population, this unranked game browser thing is going to get really old. No way to tell if you're going to have an even match or a one-sided murderfest.

I think the reason would be they didn't want a near-empty population to stop people from finding games (like what happened with HW1), but this kind of thing should only switch on during low population hours. If the servers are hopping I don't need to fight the world champion when someone whose just okay would be a fairer fight for both of us.

Hawk269

Yes, once there's an actual online population, this unranked game browser thing is going to get really old. No way to tell if you're going to have an even match or a one-sided murderfest.

I think the reason would be they didn't want a near-empty population to stop people from finding games (like what happened with HW1), but this kind of thing should only switch on during low population hours. If the servers are hopping I don't need to fight the world champion when someone whose just okay would be a fairer fight for both of us.

Agree. The game I was in, my 2 team mates never even took another base and on their own base they had open slots that they never build anything on, while the opposing team steam rolled us. Like I said, I don't mind having this in addition to Ranked, Leaderboards and Matchmaking, no issues, but when they take out what is the most common thing in online RTS games it is concerning.

On the official forums, some are holding out hope that this was done because of the early access state of the game, but my argument is that if anything it would be the Ranked, Leaderboards, Matchmaking, True Skill would of been in from day one since it was in the original game and the customs added after. It can still happen, but not holding my breath. If Halo Wars 2 does not have this basic feature, I may just be out and cancel my pre-order because that is what on-line RTS's are about, is ranking up and being matched with players of equal skill.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes pretty much. You can browse by team size, 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3 etc, you can browse by game type as well. That part is not that bad, the bad part is there is no leaderboards, Ranking and such. I know a lot of OG Halo Wars players that were looking forward to a fresh start with Ranking and such, but none of them now are looking forward to this. I don't understand why they took the other stuff out, it was a great feature a common feature amongst on-line RTS games, why would they remove that?

Game looks great however, I played a bit more of the single player and then went back to the 360 version and damn does it look so much better and very smooth. Loving the game, but once the SP content is done, it was MP and Rankings/Leaderboards I was looking forward too.

I did get in a 3vs3 game, but it was over pretty quick, one guy on my team quit early, the opposing team was able get a big tank battalion really fast and as they attacked my remaining team mate he quit as soon as the attack started, leaving me on a 3 on 1 and I was toast within minutes. Was still fun but I sorely miss Ranking and matchmaking. Right now you can have noob in a game versus a vet and they would be toast, with matchmaking and the true skill the OG did a pretty good job at matching you with others. Maybe since this is now a Beta/Early access version that the other online features will return.
I hope it's added. I had some great plans to do ranked 2v2 and 3v3s and start all fresh.

I like the browser but it should have ranked quickmatch at least.
Not sure why they removed what was working instead of just adding the browser on top 😞

I'm really looking forward to playing it in smooth 4K :) looks so good and it's halo!

If not there's always HW2 ranked :/

BraXzy

No ranked or matchmaking? Odd to take out features and not readily disclose that. Unless I missed something in the description stating browser only that I missed.

Sour tastes all round.

Tecnniqe

Banned
No ranked or matchmaking? Odd to take out features and not readily disclose that. Unless I missed something in the description stating browser only that I missed.

Sour tastes all round.

Store page only say you can compete in multiplayer matches.

But sour taste for sure, it went sideways quick :p

Danny 117

Meh, one positive that comes from this is that you can search for Co-op campaign sessions. Couldn't do that in the original.

I suppose as well you will get more arranged parties in 2v2/3v3 going up against randoms, which will suck if you're on the other team ahah.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Meh, one positive that comes from this is that you can search for Co-op campaign sessions. Couldn't do that in the original.

I suppose as well you will get more arranged parties in 2v2/3v3 going up against randoms, which will suck if you're on the other team ahah.
Premade v pubbies oh boy.

ALL UNITS

Somnia

Am I the only one who honestly wants Halo Wars DE just for the campaign again?

Now Halo Wars 2 I'm hoping to find a lot of gaffers to play Blitz with :)

mcfrank

So we know if people have won the code lottery today?

You expect the people at 343 manually generating these codes to be working at 832am? That is crazy talk. They will get around to it at noon after they have had their meeting on which features will be broken at the halo wars 2 launch.

You expect the people at 343 manually generating these codes to be working at 832am? That is crazy talk. They will get around to it at noon after they have had their meeting on which features will be broken at the halo wars 2 launch.

To be honest, I would expect that they have an automatic system in place. If they don't, then I would like to suggest they fire the genius who came up with the codes thing.

mcfrank

To be honest, I would expect that they have an automatic system in place. If they don't, then I would like to suggest they fire the genius who came up with the codes thing.

They are literally asking people to tweet them their gamer tags so they can manually generate a code. I honest don't think it is automated or why would it take so long.

They are literally asking people to tweet them their gamer tags so they can manually generate a code. I honest don't think it is automated or why would it take so long.
Where is this happening and who is asking for the tweets. This is some backwards ass way of finding who needs a code or not. They should have a system in place where a bot picks out those gamertags or Microsoft accounts that have preoredered the Ultimate Edition. Is this so hard to execute?

Unity2012

I play halo wars for the campagin. Hope the sequal will have a great campagin too.
Same here, I also like Skirmish games.
Funny enough, I moved to a new house the day the gave me the code, I literature installed the game as we were loading the truck, lol. Im glad i did cause i wont have internet/cable in here till possibly tomorrow but ive been playing the SP which looks great & runs like butter compared to the old version. I look forward to play some MP.

Mrbob

What...?? I might cancel my preorder. What kind of clown operation are 343 running lol.

Tecnniqe

Banned
So we know if people have won the code lottery today?
raw

at-work-cookie-monster.gif

SURGEdude

Just wanted to show my sympathy for people suffering from MS's god awful messaging system. I was one of the people who preordered Gears Ultimate in large part because of the bonus BC games and I had to wait until nearly everybody else had gotten their codes including people who picked it up after launch.

It's incredibly frustrating, and frankly the fact that MS still hasn't corrected it is kinda embarrassing considering the kinds of expertise they have on hand.

Still waiting patiently... My friend just got his keys as well I'm a little annoyed about that.
Anyways looking at screenshots and snippets of pc gameplay it looks a fair bit better due to the higher resolution plus textures.

Finally got my code, was sent 18 minutes ago. Downloading it now.

Preordered on the 19th in case anyone was wondering.

I appreciate their apology, I just hope that in the future, Microsoft or who ever is responsible, can implement a different distribution system to avoid such issues happening again. It's messed up that some people who preordered before my still have to wait.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Almost sounds like they overlooked those who did not get a key and purchased before the 18th or 19th...

Whatevs, fuck this shit, they spent 3-4 hours getting these codes out so in February ill join the fun..

Hawk269

At this point Frankie, needs to just PM OP a code. The dude made the thread, been prolific in the thread, pre-ordered his game a while ago and nothing. Glad to see people getting Code's though...would be nice to be able to find some more matches on-line, even this morning is was pretty barren and on the Original Game last night there were over 9500+ on-line, since it shows what the on-line population is at, where the new version of the game does not. But man going back to the OG hurts a bit because of how improved the new version is looks and runs. Just need for them to add back matchmaking, rankings and leaderboards and it will be golden.

m23

At this point Frankie, needs to just PM OP a code. The dude made the thread, been prolific in the thread, pre-ordered his game a while ago and nothing. Glad to see people getting Code's though...would be nice to be able to find some more matches on-line, even this morning is was pretty barren and on the Original Game last night there were over 9500+ on-line, since it shows what the on-line population is at, where the new version of the game does not. But man going back to the OG hurts a bit because of how improved the new version is looks and runs. Just need for them to add back matchmaking, rankings and leaderboards and it will be golden.

Yeah after all the effort the guy put in making this thread and he doesn't even have a code to play the game.

So, I got my code yesterday. I've redeemed it. But I can't find a way to actually bloody install the thing on my PC!

There's two entries for the game on the Windows 10 store, one says the game's not currently available, and the other says I own the product but offers no download button!

Mrbob

Just the OP? They should release Halo Wars DE to everyone who have pre ordered Halo War 2 UE.

Tecnniqe

Banned
So, I got my code yesterday. I've redeemed it. But I can't find a way to actually bloody install the thing on my PC!

There's two entries for the game on the Windows 10 store, one says the game's not currently available, and the other says I own the product but offers no download button!

On the store click the icon top right > My Library > Games - Show All > Find and install?

Top Bottom