• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars: Definitive Edition |OT| The Best Marketing This Game Will Get

RoKKeR

Still have this LE. GOAT steelbook case, not even close.

Gu3Ioiv.jpg

Hawk269

Well they didn't have to do a massive push for it, but a couple videos and some screenshots would be nice to build something around it.

Agree. It has been one thing I have been asking about here and on the official forums. A video showing the D.E. version versus the old version would of been nice. It seems like the only screen shot we have are the ones that "someone" is sending you to post, which is great, but at the same time they should of had screen shots out a few weeks ago and perhaps a video of a MP match. We still have no word on what the "bonus content" is, it does come with all the DLC so it has to be something new. Lastly, I want to know what performance is like on Xbox One when you have a 3 vs 3 battle going on. All of this should of already been shared with the community. Let's just hope the game has made the move to Xbox One well.

Lastly, this whole "we are sending codes in waves" is really weird. I doubt that they have millions of pre-orders that would cause the games servers to completely die if everyone had their code, so kind of a weird thing. I know I will be crushed if I don't get in on Wave 1, especially having time off all week.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Agree. It has been one thing I have been asking about here and on the official forums. A video showing the D.E. version versus the old version would of been nice. It seems like the only screen shot we have are the ones that "someone" is sending you to post, which is great, but at the same time they should of had screen shots out a few weeks ago and perhaps a video of a MP match. We still have no word on what the "bonus content" is, it does come with all the DLC so it has to be something new. Lastly, I want to know what performance is like on Xbox One when you have a 3 vs 3 battle going on. All of this should of already been shared with the community. Let's just hope the game has made the move to Xbox One well.

Lastly, this whole "we are sending codes in waves" is really weird. I doubt that they have millions of pre-orders that would cause the games servers to completely die if everyone had their code, so kind of a weird thing. I know I will be crushed if I don't get in on Wave 1, especially having time off all week.
100%!

I did post my idea as to why I think its wave based on the previous page. Only thing that makes sense to me.

deoee

Not related to the game but I got a 10$ code from buying Forza Horizon 3.

Dear Microsoft Customer,

Thank you for purchasing a game from Microsoft online store.

Here is your $10 Xbox gift code:

xxxxxxxxx (9 chars)

How to redeem your $10 Xbox gift card:
Sign in to your Xbox Live account on Xbox.com (https://live.xbox.com/en-US/RedeemToken)
Enter your code in the open field
Click Redeem Code and make sure to use the redeemed $10 funds within 120 days of redemption

On the website I can not enter a 9 character code and thus I can not redeem the voucher.
Any ideas how to proceed here?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Not related to the game but I got a 10$ code from buying Forza Horizon 3.

On the website I can not enter a 9 character code and thus I can not redeem the voucher.
Any ideas how to proceed here?
I'll allow it as you will buy HW:DE 😏

Hawk269

Because it's true😭

I don't use Twitter, but someone should Tweet Phil Spencer the link to this thread and ensure you put the Thread Title in it. I would suggest saying "Hey Phil, check out the support the fans are having for Halo Wars DE over at Neo Gaf" and then have the link and then add "here is the thread title for the link".

m23

I don't use Twitter, but someone should Tweet Phil Spencer the link to this thread and ensure you put the Thread Title in it. I would suggest saying "Hey Phil, check out the support the fans are having for Halo Wars DE over at Neo Gaf" and then have the link and then add "here is the thread title for the link".

Lol perfect.

Unity2012

There's a new FAQ official thread @ Halowaypoint.com (Halo DE Forum), with a bit more info.
Maybe someone can post the link for the OT creator, I'm literally moving today, running errands like crazy.

BraXzy

Great Wall o' Steelbook

I've seen some genuinely dope looking ones. See here and here

Oh man, I'd fucking lose it. I've never lent any SEs to any but one friend who I know would treat it like her own child.

This in particular is a lovely addition to my shelf. Sad that I'm not adding any more to the collection having gone all digital this gen.

It was back in the school days and it very much stopped me ever being generous lending stuff out. I'm the type of person who treats my stuff like it's fragile as hell. Most games I own you'd mistake for brand new if it still had the book smell xD

On Mexico the cost of the Ultimate Edition of Halo Wars 2 is $65 USD I bought mine there, I don't know if this is the same on the US store but since this is a Play Anywhere tittle you guys should check it out

Werd

Halo Waypoint FAQ mentioned a few posts up.
Q: How will I match with other players in Halo Wars: Definitive Edition?
A: Players will have access to a brand new game session browser that allows for complete customization of game creation and search parameters for skirmish, campaign, and multiplayer PvP modes. Searching or creating a game can be done with just a few button clicks.
New browser function is nice, especially adding co-op, but it sounds like no ranked or normal matchmaking? If so (hard to tell) that may be for the best given likely low population, but is the kind of thing that would be nice to know more than the day before release.

I ordered mostly for the Windows versions, looking forward to 4K 60 FPS, but I'm curious how well this is going to run on XB1. As far as I can remember the original game had quite a bit of slowdown in large fights, having that smoothed out would be a nice upgrade... but not all of these re-releases actually perform like you'd expect.

Hawk269

I can almost guarantee it will be standalone eventually after Halo Wars 2 launches. This isn't going to be another Infinite Warfare fiasco.

If they are smart, they would offer at minimum the original Halo Wars since it is BC in January to get people interested in the game (HW2). While for a RTS on console it sold very well, a lot of people missed out on it and what better way to get people into the game for HW2.

Unity2012

To add to the post above; from the official forums FAQ:

Q: What will I be able to configure for creating and searching games in Halo Wars:
Definitive Edition?

A: When creating or searching games, players will be able to configure the following:

1. Private or Public Game
2. Game Type: Skirmish or Campaign
If Skirmish is chosen as Game Type:
3. Players: 1v1, 2v2, 3v3
4. Map: Specific lists for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3
5. Mode: Standard, Deathmatch, Keep Away, Tug of War, Reinforcement
6. AI Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary
If Campaign is chosen as Game Type: (campaign only supports co-op for 2 players, so no team selection size here):
7. Mission: Any, List of each unlocked mission
8. Campaign Difficulty: Any, Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary

Most likely, yes.

Theres like 3-4 screenshots and not much marketing at all, but it sure is a nice bonus but nobody I knew had any idea about this before I told them.

Haha for sure. I just consider my friends to represent the GAF majority. It always feels like Gaffer are ahead of the general gaming populace

Hawk269

I've seen some genuinely dope looking ones. See here and here

It was back in the school days and it very much stopped me ever being generous lending stuff out. I'm the type of person who treats my stuff like it's fragile as hell. Most games I own you'd mistake for brand new if it still had the book smell xD

I am the same way. Back in the day when I would do the rare trade in at my local GameStop the Store Manger stopped looking at the disks of my games since he would always comment "this looks brand new" even though I had it for several years.

I still have my collectors edition for Halo Wars. It looks as new as they day I bought it. I have it wrapped in bubble wrap and in a box since I am preparing to move to Idaho at the end of January.

Flibbertygiblet

Neo Member
...I had no idea a sequel to Halo Wars was in development, never mind this remaster. Wow, they really dropped the ball on marketing this one. OT title on point.

Announced at E3 2015, shown again at E3 2016 (with downloadable technical beta), new trailer at The Game Awards 2016... not really a secret.

The_Dama

Pre orderd at Best Buy. Got a code and redeemed but game is not up yet.

Anyone know how online will work with Xbox and PC?

Great threat OP.

Huge HW1 fan, bought the Halo Wars 2 digital LE as soon as I read the description that has HW:DE included and tried the HW2 beta. Love the frst game, likely in my top 3 games of last gen actually. Gonna go all in tomorrow on HW:DE, do some Skirmish matches and go for those achievements. Local units!!

Hawk269

Leave it to someone else other than 343/MS to tell us that the PC version has both Controller and KB/Mouse controls.

Only wish we had Xbox One footage. Audio sounds a bit better to me than the original as well. Looks good so far. Let's hope performance is good on both PC/Xbox One. I am sure that will come down to a forum member telling us this instead of you know the developer, publisher etc...Yes Frankie a little disappointed in the flow of information, but still love you guys!!! :)

Picked up the ultimate edition digitally today and hoping the 7-10 days to get a download code isn't actually accurate, or I guess I won't be playing this until New Year's Eve.

Seems like a pretty weird system but I'm guessing the store doesn't work properly with the model of early release for part of the content, so they're doing this workaround with the code.

Looking forward to playing Halo Wars again, my favorite console RTS of all time; it's nice that it's coming out with a good lead time before HW2 to give plenty of time to enjoy the old stuff.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is your GT the same as your name here?
Yup
To add to the post above; from the official forums FAQ:

Q: What will I be able to configure for creating and searching games in Halo Wars:
Definitive Edition?

A: When creating or searching games, players will be able to configure the following:

1. Private or Public Game
2. Game Type: Skirmish or Campaign
If Skirmish is chosen as Game Type:
3. Players: 1v1, 2v2, 3v3
4. Map: Specific lists for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3
5. Mode: Standard, Deathmatch, Keep Away, Tug of War, Reinforcement
6. AI Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary
If Campaign is chosen as Game Type: (campaign only supports co-op for 2 players, so no team selection size here):
7. Mission: Any, List of each unlocked mission
8. Campaign Difficulty: Any, Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary

Updated OT, just woke up.
Let me know if there's any errors 👍

The first one was just okay with me, but getting both titles and them being play anywhere for $80 was too good to pass up.

I love me some halo ❤

DaleCooper

Neo Member
On Mexico the cost of the Ultimate Edition of Halo Wars 2 is $65 USD I bought mine there, I don't know if this is the same on the US store but since this is a Play Anywhere tittle you guys should check it out

Edit: Nevermind it was only for Quantum Break.

Im pretty positive you have to buy the digital xbox version to get the pc version for free. At least that is how it was for Quantum Break and play anywhere. I think it was the same for Gears of War 4. YOu had to buy Xbox digital for pc code.

Madness

Halo Wars 2 standard edition physical for me only through Amazon canada. Guess I am SOL in terms of Halo Wars: Definitive Edition. Post your pics and impressions when you can guys.

deoee

If someone pre-ordered this for Halo Wars 2 only and doesn't need the Halo Wars 1 PC-Code.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom