• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thought Biden’s speech was pretty weak? He spent the majority of his time talking about Ukraine, felt like his comments about Israel and Hamas were almost an afterthought. And his entire line about Islamophobia and 9/11? Is he blind? It’s not rampant Islamophobia I see parading around on American streets and on American universities and in middle eastern countries that claim to be American allies. Where was the condemnation of the open antisemitism being displayed?

I dunno, it didn’t feel very strong at all. Like he was just up there saying the “right” things while trying to be inoffensive to the base.
Supporting the civilians in Gaza, the majority of whom are under 18 and thus weren't even alive or old enough to participate in the 2006 election that put Hamas in power, isn't antisemitism. Antisemitism is saying stuff like "Israel shouldn't exist" and jewish people being attacked. Islamophobia is definitely an issue too when you have a 6 year old boy get stabbed to death by his mother's landlord just because he and his mother were Palestinian-American.
Biden condemned both islamophobia and antisemitism in equal terms.

Sony

Nintendo
Am I the only one who thought Biden’s speech was pretty weak? He spent the majority of his time talking about Ukraine, felt like his comments about Israel and Hamas were almost an afterthought. And his entire line about Islamophobia and 9/11? Is he blind? It’s not rampant Islamophobia I see parading around on American streets and on American universities and in middle eastern countries that claim to be American allies. Where was the condemnation of the open antisemitism being displayed?

I dunno, it didn’t feel very strong at all. Like he was just up there saying the “right” things while trying to be inoffensive to the base.

Do people that throw the antisemitism card understand what antisemitism actually is? Critisism of the opression of Palestinians by Israël is not antisemitism, in the same way that critisism of the Taliban's opression of Afghans is not Islamophobia. It annoys me to no end that people keep conflating the two. Acknowledging war-crimes of and opression by Israël is - not - antisemitism.

bbmcgee

Banned
Supporting the civilians in Gaza, the majority of whom are under 18 and thus weren't even alive or old enough to participate in the 2006 election that put Hamas in power, isn't antisemitism. Antisemitism is saying stuff like "Israel shouldn't exist" and jewish people being attacked. Islamophobia is definitely an issue too when you have a 6 year old boy get stabbed to death by his mother's landlord just because he and his mother were Palestinian-American.
Biden condemned both islamophobia and antisemitism in equal terms.
He has no choice but to condemn/support everything equally, but I don't see masses of people be islamophobic on college campuses or anything. The antisemitism is way more out in the open

near

Gold Member

Israel approves emergency regulations that could pave way to closing Al Jazeera offices

“Israel is at war on land, in the air, at sea, and on the public diplomacy front. We will not allow in any way broadcasts that harm the security of the state… The broadcasts and reports of Al Jazeera constitute incitement against Israel, help Hamas-ISIS and the terror organizations with their propaganda, and encourage violence against Israel,” says Karhi.

According to the new regulations, the communications minister — with the agreement of the defense minister — will be able to order TV providers to stop broadcasting the news outlet in question; close its offices in Israel, seize its equipment, and shut down its website or restrict access to its website, depending on the location of its server.

The decision must be approved by the security cabinet, must be based on legal opinions by the security establishment that the outlet is indeed harming national security, and is subject to the review of a district court.

Such a decision will be valid for 30 days but can be extended for additional 30-day periods. The emergency regulations will be in place for three months, or until the specific state of emergency is formally ended by the government.

bbmcgee

Banned
Do people that throw the antisemitism card understand what antisemitism actually is? Critisism of the opression of Palestinians by Israël is not antisemitism, in the same way that critisism of the Taliban's opression of Afghans is not Islamophobia. It annoys me to no end that people keep conflating the two. Acknowledging war-crimes of and opression by Israël is - not - antisemitism.

Cmon. When the greatest massacre of jews happens since the holocaust and these people's only response is to blame Israel, ignore the hostages that were taken, immediately believe anything hamas says over anything Israel says, show absolutely no sympathy for Israel or their right to attack etc etc etc.

Its antisemitism because no other country or group of people is treated this way in this situation. I've never seen it. You'd have to believe it's a coincidence that its happening to Jewish people. Its gaslighting

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

The thing is, there are so many conflicts in the world that go complexly unnoticed by certain groups of people.
For example, we recently had a conflict in Niger. Lot's of people died. Several countries got involved.
Pretty much one was enraged by the killings, the coup, the military, the politics. Nothing.
So many dictators in Africa doing terrible things, but no one cares. Countries invading others and no one cares.
Crimes against humanity and no one cares. Countries blocking rivers and putting others at risk of drought and no one cares.

But the moment Israel does anything, even if it is to defend itself, lot's of people get angry.
There is clearly, a bias to condemn anything Israel does. Anything Israel does, even in self defense, is taken out of proportion.

bbmcgee

Banned
Biden is absolutely right to put Hamas/Iran and Russia as part of the same axis - because it is.

There are far too many morons floating about who don’t understand what’s going on, and don't want the west to support Ukraine so much. Despite the fact that supporting Ukraine weakens Russia incredibly, and alters the geopolitical power a huge amount to the USA’s favour.

Biden’s been handwringing way too much in recent months, which is partly the reason why these attacks have happened. I hope he’s discovered his old man balls again, right at the time when they are needed most.
Yea people are stupid and completely ignore the arguments for Ukraine. Now, its fine to disagree but to pretend there's nothing to it is just stupid.

bbmcgee

Banned
I'd never understand Americans that are against the aid given to Ukraine / Israel. I'd love my tax euros to go to that place instead of other bullshit. On paper it looks like a shitton of money, but in the

You don't understand why we don't want our money going to other people we have nothing to do with?

Americans are suffering here. We're in mountains of debt, expensive education, Healthcare, housing, childcare etc etc.

The average Americans life is degrading in quality at an alarming rate. It absolutely makes complete sense to be mad at all this money going away to other countries.

Hell, as a black American I get told my people don't deserve reparations for the crimes committed against us. But Israel, Ukraine deserves billions of our money unquestioned? Fuck off. And I support Israel but its still unbalanced bullshit.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
You don't understand why we don't want our money going to other people we have nothing to do with?

Americans are suffering here. We're in mountains of debt, expensive education, Healthcare, housing, childcare etc etc.

The average Americans life is degrading in quality at an alarming rate. It absolutely makes complete sense to be mad at all this money going away to other countries.

Hell, as a black American I get told my people don't deserve reparations for the crimes committed against us. But Israel, Ukraine deserves billions of our money unquestioned? Fuck off. And I support Israel but its still unbalanced bullshit.
While I understand, that money in aid that the US is giving Israel goes back to the US. It's all for buying shit from the US. None of it is for anything else.

FunkMiller

Oh, do be quiet.

What kind of insular, selfish bullcrap is this?

How safe and secure do you think you'll be if Russia is allowed to win the war in Ukraine, continue to destabilise the middle east, and is allowed to continue to build its soft power across the world? How badly off do you think you'll be in a world where a country that despises you is allowed to grow in power?

People like Putin rely on people like you thinking you have nothing to do with the Ukrainians, the Israelies or the Palestinians. Not caring about anyone past your own front door.

You should be cheering support for Ukraine, because making Russia weaker makes YOU stronger. Better off. You're part of an interconnected global society, whether you like it or not, and it's high time a lot of you Americans stopped acting and thinking like you're not.

Last edited:

bbmcgee

Banned
Oh, do be quiet.

What kind of insular, selfish bullcrap is this?

How safe and secure do you think you'll be if Russia is allowed to win the war in Ukraine, continues to destabilise the middle east, and is allowed to continue to build its soft power across the world? How badly off do you think you'll be in a world where a country that despises you is allowed to grow in power?

People like Putin rely on people like you thinking you have nothing to do with the Ukrainians, the Israelies or the Palestinians. Not caring about anyone past your own front door.

You should be cheering support for Ukraine, because making Russia weaker makes YOU stronger. Better off. You're part of an interconnected global society, whether you like it or not, and it's high time a lot of you Americans stopped acting and thinking like you're not.

Ukraine or Israel or almost anyone else could disappear and it wouldn't impact the lives of the average Americans much. That's just true.

I understand what you're arguing about the political implications of it all, but the average Americans is struggling with basic everyday life and not concerned nor impacted by any of that

bbmcgee

Banned
While I understand, that money in aid that the US is giving Israel goes back to the US. It's all for buying shit from the US. None of it is for anything else.

Is it truly net zero though, as in everything we've given we've gotten back? I highly doubt that it is.

FunkMiller

Ukraine or Israel or almost anyone else could disappear and it wouldn't impact the lives of the average Americans much. That's just true.

I understand what you're arguing about the political implications of it all, but the average Americans is struggling with basic everyday life and not concerned nor impacted by any of that

No. It isn't.

How much has Russian influence negatively affected the day to day lives of average Americans?

You don't think your cost of living has gone up because of Russia's invasion of Ukraine? Because of the energy crisis it's caused? Gas prices? Food prices? Ukraine is one of the largest grain exporters in the world. You think you don't eat what they produce?

Do you not realise that so much of your day to day living is affected by things happening in other countries?

Sorry, but your ignorance is off the charts.

Last edited:

bbmcgee

Banned
No. It isn't.

How much has Russian influence negatively affected the day to day lives of average Americans?

You don't think your cost of living has gone up because of Russia's invasion of Ukraine? Because of the energy crisis it's caused? Gas prices? Food prices?

Do you not realise that so much of your day to day living is affected by things happening in other countries?

Sorry, but your ignorance is off the charts.

Yup cost of living has gone up, wouldn't it be cool if all these billions of dollars went to relieving that for us instead of going to Ukraine and our costs go up anyway?

Remember, i fully understand the case for Ukraine, im just point out there is a case to be mad about it also.

FunkMiller

Yup cost of living has gone up, wouldn't it be cool if all these billions of dollars went to relieving that for us instead of going to Ukraine and our costs go up anyway?

Remember, i fully understand the case for Ukraine, im just point out there is a case to be mad about it also.

You absolutely do not understand the case for Ukraine. That much is obvious.

BlackTron

You are taking a whining complainers' way out instead of taking a stand against evil. Someone points a gun at your neighbor and you don't care because you're in debt? By the time we have to deal with it ourselves, it will cost more money and our own lives.

Even if that were true, which it isn't...so what? Because it doesn't impact you, THAT'S your basis for not supporting a democratic country that just had its people slaughtered? "Doesn't affect me, so fuck 'em!"

Speaks volumes about you.

Thaedolus

And the person you should be mad at is Putin.

Israel is also a big partner and driver of innovation. The colleague I mentioned before that lives by an iron dome launcher is an MD who’s invented multiple innovative medical devices. If Israel were wiped off the map, the world would experience noticeable brain drain.

winjer

Gold Member

You do realize that the value the US announces is in reality many times lower, than what it really is?
The USA is giving to Ukraine surplus equipment, for the most part. This is old equipment that is in storage.
But the USA is quoting the original price, for when it was new. So they are in fact pumping those numbers.
Also consider that this equipment is taking storage space, which costs money. And a lot of it i due for dismantling, which also costs money.
So giving away this equipment, in some cases, saves tax payer dollars.
So don't get fooled by Russian propaganda claiming this money could go to help Americans in need.

In the case of aid given to Israel, there are quite a few strings attached. One of them is that Israel has to buy US military equipment.
This means that money always comes back to the USA to create jobs.
It also means that Israel can't develop some weapon systems of their own. For example, airplanes.
Israel some years ago wanted to create it's own fighter. But because of those strings attached with the USA, they had to scrap the program and buy F-16s and F35s.

The other thing to consider is that the USA is the biggest exporter of military safety. And there are many countries willing to pay for it. Some pay with money, some pay with political support, some pay bases, etc.
A good example is Saudi Arabia. A country that relies heavily on the USA for it's protection and for it's weapons. In exchange, the USA gets money but also some leverage to control in oil prices.
And when Ukraine get's it's war sorted out. it will become a customer for the USA and EU. It will stop buying Russian equipment and products. And it will start buying American products and equipment.
Remember how the Marshal plan benefited US companies and workers, for decades.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you have a very limited, narrow understanding of the world, it's economics and politics.
You don't understand the real reasons why life in the USA is getting worse. So you lash out at Ukraine and Israel, just because of political propaganda.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
And the person you should be mad at is Putin.

Israel is also a big partner and driver of innovation. The colleague I mentioned before that lives by an iron dome launcher is an MD who’s invented multiple innovative medical devices. If Israel were wiped off the map, the world would experience noticeable brain drain.
Yeah, I don't think people are aware how much Israel changed the world of medicine, tech, agriculture. We invented a lot of shit.

bbmcgee

Banned
You absolutely do not understand the case for Ukraine. That much is obvious.

I fully understand the case is that Russia could get power and make it worse for us down the line. Its very possible but to the average American figuring out how to get by with every day struggles, it doesn't matter that much

FunkMiller

I fully understand the case is that Russia could get power and make it worse for us down the line. Its very possible but to the average American figuring out how to get by with every day struggles, it doesn't matter that much

Only if that average American can't be fucking bothered to educate himself about the world around him.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I don't really wanna derail this topic too much into inner politics, but just because government has money, doesn't mean they know how to use it. What is something you look at and think, wow, my government is really good at that.

BlackTron

Because it actually doesn't matter, or they just don't perceive that it does?

bbmcgee

Banned
You are taking a whining complainers' way out instead of taking a stand against evil. Someone points a gun at your neighbor and you don't care because you're in debt? By the time we have to deal with it ourselves, it will cost more money and our own lives.

Even if that were true, which it isn't...so what? Because it doesn't impact you, THAT'S your basis for not supporting a democratic country that just had its people slaughtered? "Doesn't affect me, so fuck 'em!"

Speaks volumes about you.

Yes, the case would be " war sucks but what the hell does this have to do with me. I can't afford my medical bills, my housing, my education, food prices are sky high and nobody is anything for me. But, there's Biden talking about israel and Ukraine getting a blank check ".

Terrible things happen all the time. While we may feel bad, its not our job to fix it. Theres been genocides in Africa that barely made news in the usa. The argument is usa can't put these things over it own people who are largely ignore

Thaedolus

Yes, the case would be " war sucks but what the hell does this have to do with me. I can't afford my medical bills, my housing, my education, food prices are sky high and nobody is anything for me. But, there's Biden talking about israel and Ukraine getting a blank check ".

Terrible things happen all the time. While we may feel bad, its not our job to fix it. Theres been genocides in Africa that barely made news in the usa. The argument is usa can't put these things over it own people who are largely ignore
And that argument is dumb for all the reasons people are explaining to you

The United States is a hyperpower. The only one in history. We have the resources and strength to protect our allies and preserve human life, and as such with great power comes great responsibility.

As well, this whole bullshit about "we spend too much on the military or foreign aide, what about people suffering at home", is just that bullshit. We spend more on healthcare than any other nation and our people still suffer poor care and debilitating medical bills because our government chooses that to be the case. We could easily (well easier for the people) cut costs and improve everyone's health care across the board by doing away with private insurance, which is where most of the healthcare spending goes, not into actual care.

Everything wrong with America is a choice by politicians. We have near unlimited resources and space, they choose to squander it and funnel money into the top 5%.

We could give everyone free healthcare, free education, free housing, and free food and end up saving money in the long term. But that doesn't let these smaug-ass motherfuckers grow their treasure pile so it won't happen.

winjer

Gold Member

The reasons for the average Americans having worse life conditions is due to internal politics in the USA.
Just look at how rare it is for the Democrats and Republicans to approve increases to minimum wage. This is because of lobbying from major corporations. Not because of help to Ukraine and Israel.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yes I understand what the argument is, it's just a bad argument for myriad reasons already explained to you.

bbmcgee

Banned
You do realize that the value the US announces is in reality many times lower, than what it really is?
The USA is giving to Ukraine surplus equipment, for the most part. This is old equipment that is in storage.
But the USA is quoting the original price, for when it was new. So they are in fact pumping those numbers.
Also consider that this equipment is taking storage space, which costs money. And a lot of it i due for dismantling, which also costs money.
So giving away this equipment, in some cases, saves tax payer dollars.
So don't get fooled by Russian propaganda claiming this money could go to help Americans in need.

In the case of aid given to Israel, there are quite a few strings attached. One of them is that Israel has to buy US military equipment.
This means that money always comes back to the USA to create jobs.
It also means that Israel can't develop some weapon systems of their own. For example, airplanes.
Israel some years ago wanted to create it's own fighter. But because of those strings attached with the USA, they had to scrap the program and buy F-16s and F35s.

The other thing to consider is that the USA is the biggest exporter of military safety. And there are many countries willing to pay for it. Some pay with money, some pay with political support, some pay bases, etc.
A good example is Saudi Arabia. A country that relies heavily on the USA for it's protection and for it's weapons. In exchange, the USA gets money but also some leverage to control in oil prices.
And when Ukraine get's it's war sorted out. it will become a customer for the USA and EU. It will stop buying Russian equipment and products. And it will start buying American products and equipment.
Remember how the Marshal plan benefited US companies and workers, for decades.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you have a very limited, narrow understanding of the world, it's economics and politics.
You don't understand the real reasons why life in the USA is getting worse. So you lash out at Ukraine and Israel, just because of political propaganda.

I understand all of this. I'm just trying to give the perspective of Americans who are against this.

When your everyday problems are ignored repeatedly and aid to other countries is prioritized, its not hard to understand being against it. The avg American is pissed off, struggling and our own leaders largely doesn't care.

When is the last time Biden went in national TV to discuss our border security, or our Healthcare system, or education costs etc etc etc.

We won't even protect our southern border but we must give billions for shit in the middle east or eastern Europe for our security? K

bbmcgee

Banned
The reasons for the average Americans having worse life conditions is due to internal politics in the USA.
Just look at how rare it is for the Democrats and Republicans to approve increases to minimum wage. This is because of lobbying from major corporations. Not because of help to Ukraine and Israel.

Yes, when it comes to helping Americans they jus can't come together, but for Israel Ukraine and other non Americans its a united front and things happen fast..don't you see the problem some of us have

bbmcgee

Banned
Yes I understand what the argument is, it's just a bad argument for myriad reasons already explained to you.

Sure but I think optics matter. I think we need to take better care of Americans if we expect them to be more accepting of all this.

You cannot argue about security when these same people are perfectly fine keeping pur southern border wide open

bbmcgee

Banned
And that argument is dumb for all the reasons people are explaining to you

It might be dumb but its also understandable to the average American. We don't even protect our southern border but Ukraine is vital to our safety? Sure.

Can you not see how that sounds.....questionable at best to someone who's just trying to get by in life.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I understand all of this. I'm just trying to give the perspective of Americans who are against this.

When your everyday problems are ignored repeatedly and aid to other countries is prioritized, its not hard to understand being against it. The avg American is pissed off, struggling and our own leaders largely doesn't care.

When is the last time Biden went in national TV to discuss our border security, or our Healthcare system, or education costs etc etc etc.

We won't even protect our southern border but we must give billions for shit in the middle east or eastern Europe for our security? K

The problems the USA has with education and health care has only to do with internal political questions. Not with help for Ukraine and Israel.
The reliance on a private health care system, based on deregulated insurance, while the public health care system is underfunded, is the reason why you can't get affordable health care.
A similar thing for your public education system.
And the issues with your south border is a problem that was self inflicted, by the USA constantly destabilizing south América, sponsoring coups, and even sponsoring and selling weapons to drug cartels.
The USA spent decades making life much worse in central and south America, and now wonders with so many people are migrating from those countries.

Despite that, the immigration from south America, is the reason the USA doesn't have a much greater issue: population decline.
Unlike the EU, China, Japan, Korea and many other countries, that are in a strong population contraction, which is already causing severe social issues. And that will become much worse in the coming decades.

bbmcgee

Banned
Only if that average American can't be fucking bothered to educate himself about the world around him.

Oh please. You can't expect someone barely getting by to care so much about external politics.

My cousin just got diagnosed with cancer that will bankrupt the entire family cause our costs are out of control, but fuck her for not being enthusiastic about Ukrainian security?

BlackTron

Sure but I think optics matter. I think we need to take better care of Americans if we expect them to be more accepting of all this.

You cannot argue about security when these same people are perfectly fine keeping pur southern border wide open

Biden mentioned securing the border during his address to the nation last night. Wait, you didn't watch it?

"You just had 1000 armed extremists cross your border and start murdering babies? Can you ask the terrorists to put a hold on wave 2? I need to secure my wall before my constituents will be okay with helping you out"

bbmcgee

Banned
The problems the USA has with education and health care has only to do with internal political questions. Not with help for Ukraine and Israel.
The reliance on a private health care system, based on deregulated insurance, while the public health care system is underfunded, is the reason why you can't get affordable health care.
A similar thing for your public education system.
And the issues with your south border is a problem that was self inflicted, by the USA constantly destabilizing south América, sponsoring coups, and even sponsoring and selling weapons to drug cartels.
The USA spent decades making life much worse in central and south America, and now wonders with so many people are migrating from those countries.

Despite that, the immigration from south America, is the reason the USA doesn't have a much greater issue: population decline.
Unlike the EU, China, Japan, Korea and many other countries, that are in a strong population contraction, which is already causing severe social issues. And that will become much worse in the coming decades.

I'm not claiming that foreign aid is the reason for these problems.

I'm saying that some Americans can't be bothered to care about these other countries when we ourselves are told to fuck off constantly by the same people selling us on foreign aid.

BlackTron

I'm not claiming that foreign aid is the reason for these problems.

I'm saying that some Americans can't be bothered to care about these other countries when we ourselves are told to fuck off constantly by the same people selling us on foreign aid.

Are you intentionally trying to expose common Americans as being idiotic?

bbmcgee

Banned
Biden mentioned securing the border during his address to the nation last night. Wait, you didn't watch it?

"You just had 1000 armed extremists cross your border and start murdering babies? Can you ask the terrorists to put a hold on wave 2? I need to secure my wall before my constituents will be okay with helping you out"
Oh cool he mentioned it, well people have been flooding over the border largely unchecked for years and he himself has actively tried to downplay the issue and not put a priority on it.

And yes, our border security should come before Israel or Ukraine or anyone......because we're America.

If Americans aren't happy about our own safety how can you expect us to care about anyone else's

bbmcgee

Banned
Are you intentionally trying to expose common Americans as being idiotic?

I'm exposing Americans as being human beings with a hierarchy of needs and interests.

Some of you guys don't live in the real world it feels like, where you have the luxury of worrying about geopolitics and not paying your next bill or something.

BlackTron

Oh cool he mentioned it, well people have been flooding over the border largely unchecked for years and he himself has actively tried to downplay the issue and not put a priority on it.

And yes, our border security should come before Israel or Ukraine or anyone......because we're America.

If Americans aren't happy about our own safety how can you expect us to care about anyone else's

So you care about a flow of immigrants on our border more than the flow of armed terrorists on our allies border? Holy shit. Definition of heartless selfishness.

bbmcgee

Banned
So you care about a flow of immigrants on our border more than the flow of armed terrorists on our allies border? Holy shit. Definition of heartless selfishness.

For all we know terrorists are flooding in to do an attack us. So yes, our own border should very obviously come before anything else.

Like what else do you expect? Americans obviously care are about America over other countries.

For all we know terrorists are flooding in to do an attack us. So yes, our own border should very obviously come before anything else.

Like what else do you expect? Americans obviously care are about America over other countries.
Yeah and if you had it your way, you'd be getting those terrorists breaking down your door a lot faster than you think. America is not a bubble, all of this directly impacts you too. Whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom