• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Oh well. Buh bye Gaza. When you step on too many toes, be prepared to get a steel toed boot to the chin. Thats life. Have fun rebuilding all those obliterated blocks of rubble.

All Hamas had to do is keep up their pent up angry war against Israel with small back and forth skirmishes. The kind that doesn't get global news. People in the west only hear about mid east break outs when the action gets hot.

supernova8

Banned
I was warming to the idea that Israel really is doing everything to avoid civilians casualties until:

1) they said "hey folks please move to the South (implied: because we might invade from the North)" but then were like "actually nevermind we're also bombing the South so tough shit"

and

2) they cut off the electricity, food, and fuel supplies AND started asking hospitals to evacuate as if they're oblivious to the fact that (a) people in those hospitals are probably dying and thus are unable to be moved (b) there's nowhere for them to evacuate to.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They told the north to evacuate because there is going to be a ground war against Hamas as they enter from the north. That doesn’t mean they won’t also hit military targets in the south.

Same with ordering the hospitals to evacuate. The hospitals are in many cases set up to be on the same site as Hamas installations so that they can’t be airstriked. The Hamas HQ is under a hospital. Civilians need to leave or they will be in the line of fire when Hamas is engaged. The fact that Hamas will be engaged is not negotiable.

This is what war is.

supernova8

Banned
They told the north to evacuate because there is going to be a ground war against Hamas as they enter from the north. That doesn’t mean they won’t also hit military targets in the south.

Same with ordering the hospitals to evacuate. The hospitals are in many cases set up to be on the same site as Hamas installations so that they can’t be airstriked. The Hamas HQ is under a hospital. Civilians need to leave or they will be in the line of fire when Hamas is engaged. The fact that Hamas will be engaged is not negotiable.

This is what war is.
People keep saying this but where do they evacuate to?
Telling people to evacuate but not giving them anywhere safe to evacuate to is meaningless. It's even more meaningless if you attack the specific place you told them to evacuate to.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Telling people to evacuate but not giving them anywhere safe to evacuate to is meaningless. It's even more meaningless if you attack the specific place you told them to evacuate to.
South Gaza for now or try making friendly with Jordan. Egypt certainly isn't taking the risk and with good cause.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The thing about all the warnings to evacuate, isn’t it kind of pointless if Hamas members go south too with their gear? So a ground war might end up being tons of deserted buildings and tunnels?

Or is IDF expecting Hamas to hold tight to their locations and get into firefights building to building?

Last edited:

MrA

The thing about all the warnings to evacuate, isn’t it kind of pointless if Hamas members go south too with their gear? So a ground war might end up being tons of deserted buildings and tunnels?

Or is IDF expecting Hamas to hold tight to their locations and get into firefights building to building?
moving an army with equipment logistics equipment etc, is substantially more time-consuming than people realize, and scattering your enemy makes them less effective, so if they evacuate it makes them less well organized and effective.
Regardless, war is always horrible, even if one side is right, that doesn't make their job easy or pleasant, but it is necessary.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
South Gaza.

This is a war zone and their own government is an extremist death cult that will gladly sacrifice any number of its own civilians as pawns.

Safety is relative to the circumstances. People are still going to die.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
There's a tent city in southern Gaza, which is not that populated, there's room for them to go there.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The Israeli press is reporting that there's a big rift between Netanyahu, the Defense Secretary Galant, and IDF heads. Netanyahu is feckless and weak and probably does everything he can to postpone the ground assault, while the IDF tells him that they are ready.

He should've resigned, he's such a fraud.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

South Gaza for now or try making friendly with Jordan. Egypt certainly isn't taking the risk and with good cause.
Jordan? 😐

Friendly? 😐

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I present you...

BLACK SEPTEMBER

Black September

I don't see Jordan saluting palestinians with any other salute than the customary and old salute between them of a Jordanian bonking a palestinian Allahu dumbo on the head with a stick until he stops crying or moving. Jordan was supposed to be the home of Palestinians after the British Mandate, but they went all Freedom Allahus and started doing shit. That's why there's a West Bank and not part of Jordan, they don't want, as any of their neighbours, the palestinian pests infecting shit around.

They don't have any friends there because they've already fucked up their friends and NOBODY wants 2 millions of Allahu Gaza dumbos doing their dumb palestinian shit on their land AGAIN. Not Jordan with their war, not Egypt and the influx of palestinians that as soon as they crossed Rafah inmediately went Muslim Brotherhood militant and terrorists, not Lebanon, with their civil war between muslims...palestinian(PLO), lebanese and iran backed Hezbolla and christian maronites, which as soon as was won by the muslim side, lebanese Allahu idiots rounded all the palestinians and PLO they could find and told them to GTFO of Lebanon or risk death.

Hell, not even Syria.

The doors are closed for them tighter than a nun's one.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The Son of of Hamas said just gas them in the tunnels. It's a great idea. No IDF soldier should go down there. Way too many traps etc. The issue is the hostages could be held there. It's a tricky situation.
I dunno if we'll be able to get hostages out, I dunno how much they are working behind the scenes.

Ma-Yuan

The Son of of Hamas said just gas them in the tunnels. It's a great idea. No IDF soldier should go down there. Way too many traps etc. The issue is the hostages could be held there. It's a tricky situation.
I suggested a while ago flood them woth sea water. They might have prepared save rooms where gas wont reach them but keeping these tunnels completely flooded makes sure they will never get out.

I think the IDF is digging to get into the tunnels that way and that's why it's taking so long. Logically, the tunnel exits will be inside buildings and collapsing the building would block that for a while but they cannot know all tunnels and their exits.
Hamas can also keep tunnels separate with exits and entrances in the same building so no one can see movements from one to the other but that keeps them safe from flooding. People have been building defensive tunnel networks for thousands of years and 'fill them with water' has been tried many times and solutions found.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Hard to bring thousands of rockets, caches of ammo, and all your tunnels with you though.

And there ain't no 35 hospitals in North Gaza. Those are buildings that have clinics, medical offices, etc. Not inpatient facilities. I live in an American city of 2 million people and WE don't have 35 hospitals. They have had more than a week to transport the ill to the South a dozen miles.

If only Hamas followed law and didn't colocate all their stuff inside civilian medical structures, schools, and homes.

BlackTron

The Israeli press is reporting that there's a big rift between Netanyahu, the Defense Secretary Galant, and IDF heads. Netanyahu is feckless and weak and probably does everything he can to postpone the ground assault, while the IDF tells him that they are ready.

He should've resigned, he's such a fraud.

Netanyahu doesn't strike me as particularly anti-war or having a problem with going in. They got ready to do it for a reason.

They are still negotiating hostages and meanwhile, still dropping bombs with airstrikes, this time it's 25 hospitals. Makes complete tactical sense to eliminate main enemy hubs and resources before going in with ground guys especially when your allies are trying to get their people out first. I think Blinken said it's probably over for hostages once the ground war starts. They are saying that no pressure has been put on Israel to wait but I don't believe it, behind the scenes. Meanwhile the population that just got attacked is (understandably) pissed and takes it out on their leader.

BbMajor7th

I was warming to the idea that Israel really is doing everything to avoid civilians casualties until:

1) they said "hey folks please move to the South (implied: because we might invade from the North)" but then were like "actually nevermind we're also bombing the South so tough shit"

and

2) they cut off the electricity, food, and fuel supplies AND started asking hospitals to evacuate as if they're oblivious to the fact that (a) people in those hospitals are probably dying and thus are unable to be moved (b) there's nowhere for them to evacuate to.
There's a reason these kinds of things are banned under the Geneva Convention.

LimanimaPT

It's war, care to name what exactly is forbidden according to the Geneva Convention? what specifically is Israel doing wrong? I'd like citations. Thanks!
Yes, I would also like to know. If they place rocket lauchers and store weapons in hospitals and schools, it makes them a target. But hamas doesn't gives two shits about that. They thank Israel if an hospital gets hit, now they can show pictures and videos of dead children.

LordOfChaos

If only they knew who's tech they have on their smartphone...

Yup. I've heard this conversation in real life. Boycotting certain things because of some relation to Israel. I was going to be like, I'll take your iPhones if you want, the chip designs have a lot of R&D done in Israel.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Worth a watch.

The WSJ video doesn't go into many details about what happened to Uri once he left his home to confront the terrorists alone, but it was reported here.

Uri Rousso, 44, was murdered while defending Kibbutz Kfar Aza from terrorists during the initial Hamas assault on October 7.

Rousso, a mechanical engineer, was a member of the on-call security team at Kfar Aza and went out to defend the kibbutz when it was attacked by Hamas. He was able to kill six attackers before he was gunned down.

“He went out immediately with his personal weapon like a hero, on a bicycle, to fight,” his wife Dafna told the Times of Israel. His pistol was found later. Six shots had been fired, and the bodies of six dead terrorists were found in the immediate area, she said.

His wife and their three daughters, Maya, 13, Alona, 11, and Ye’ela, 9, hid in the family safe room for 14 hours while the fighting raged and the Hamas gunmen rampaged through the kibbutz, murdering many of their neighbors. Kfar Aza, just three kilometers from Gaza, saw some of the worst brutality during that day of pogroms. Over 100 people were killed, some 25 percent of the population, and by some reports, over 70 were taken prisoner by Hamas.

After the initial fighting, Hamas gunmen holed up in the kibbutz and the IDF was still clearing them out the next day. In the subsequent sweep of the destroyed community, Rousso’s body was discovered and his funeral was held on October 15.

“Uri had a golden heart, he never said no. He was my life, he was my soulmate,” Dafna Rousso said.

He took out six terrorists with his pistol before being killed.

It's so transparent how people try to hide their hatred for Jews behind criticising Israel. There has been an insane rise in hate crimes against Jews around the world and synagogues being defaced etc. How many Russians have been attacked or Russian Orthodox churches been sprayed with graffiti. Not many. That's the difference. Their actions are evident.

LordOfChaos

Worth a watch.

The WSJ video doesn't go into many details about what happened to Uri once he left his home to confront the terrorists alone, but it was reported here.

He took out six terrorists with his pistol before being killed.

Uri:
halo-arbiter.gif

Nonehxc

I was chomping some great penne with iberic chorizo and I heard a loud Thp thp thp thp thp thp. Went to the living room door, opened it, and I saw not 150m from me, flying low in alert formation on that aerial corridor that passes just next to my outskirts house...

A formation of 4 attack Tigers and 2 Chinook transports. Going east towards Alicante or Valencia, and I bet my shiny metal ass they're gonna embark.

Since jets also travel that corridor, I bet I will see the Eurofighters and F-18s in no time, since these formations are not for show or training, you only see more than 2 when the lads go to war.

Last edited:

DrKeo

Hamas has bunkers, ammunition caches, rocket launchers, tunnels, traps, and thousands of militants in the northern and southern parts of the Gaza Strip. If Israel can clear the northern part from civilians, they can invade the north and take it over and hold a line splitting the strip in half. After the north is cleared, they will probably ask civilians to go back to the north while the IDF clears every person and vehicle going through. Then they will do the same in the south.

Of course, Hamas members will be able to move to the south as well. But the only way Hamas can survive is to dig up, prepare traps, and hide within civilians. When Hamas gets on the move, it's easy to pick them off one by one, especially while transporting large weapons like rocket launchers. If 100% of civilians had moved to the south, the ground invasion would be quick and easy with minimal civilian casualties. But Hamas won't let that happen.

BbMajor7th

I wonder if what hamas did to the Israeli people was banned under the Geneva Convection.
I'd like to hope Israel would want to maintain higher moral standards than a terrorist militia.
It's war, care to name what exactly is forbidden according to the Geneva Convention? what specifically is Israel doing wrong? I'd like citations. Thanks!
Various NGOs (B'Tselem, Amnesty International, UN) have highlighted concerns around the forced transfer of people and deployment of collective punishment - shutting off water and power to an entire area knowing that you're punishing civilians as well as combatants likely falls within the purview of Article 43 of the GC. Even war has rules.

Last edited:

Salty Hippo

I'd like to hope Israel would want to maintain higher moral standards than a terrorist militia.

Various NGOs (B'Tselem, Amnesty International, UN) have highlighted concerns around the forced transfer of people and deployment of collective punishment - shutting off water and power to an entire area knowing that you're punishing civilians as well as combatants likely falls within the purview of Article 43 of the GC. Even war has rules.

Yeah and the rule is to give resources and provide housing to your enemy. Always been like that.

BbMajor7th

Yeah and the rule is to give resources and provide housing to your enemy. Always been like that.
Just that you need to make a distinction between combatants and civilians. Not always adhered to, I'll grant you - war is unavoidably messy - but it's harder to make the case when you're cutting off water and power.

Edit: I'm not here to bang the drum against Israel - you can only expect a militarized response after what happened, but these kinds of tactics will inevitably drive the conversation toward proportional use of force and human rights obligations.

That depends if people listen to the rules. I dont think Hamas was listening paragliding guys into music festivals and pillaging neighbourhoods. So if one side starts it not listening, why should the other?
Honestly, to be better than your enemies - to keep doing right, even when others are doing wrong. Not easy, I'll grant you - and hardest in war, but worth it when all is said and done.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

That depends if people listen to the rules. I dont think Hamas was listening paragliding guys into music festivals and pillaging neighbourhoods. So if one side starts it not listening, why should the other?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've been wondering what it was like to dig these, and what kind of people dug these extensive tunnels, signing up for a life in darkness

Just imagine how industrious these people could be if they would just stop with the hate. Seems like Palestinian labor would be desired across the Mediterranean. If the only paying work in Gaza is building tunnels, then where does the money for microwaves, refrigerators, and washing machines come from? Maybe they could have nice things if they would stop weaponizing everything?

Notice how she push push pushed at the IDF side, but just takes whatever answer she gets from Hamas? Is it because she has no choice and push-back would get her killed or because whoever edited this wants to cast the IDF as the aggressors?

Gotta say, they probably have a pretty nice youth training system there, again, they have skills that they could export if they would just STOP WITH THE HATE.

Salty Hippo

Just that you need to make a distinction between combatants and civilians. Not always adhered to, I'll grant you - war is unavoidably messy - but it's harder to make the case when you're cutting off water and power.

Edit: I'm not here to bang the drum against Israel - you can only expect a militarized response after what happened, but these kinds of tactics will inevitably drive the conversation toward proportional use of force and human rights obligations.

I hate a suspicion that we would have the exact same amount of pro-Palestine protests if Israel murdered, raped and kidnapped the exact amount of people Hamas did to keep it "proportional". Probably more.

Israel shouldn't be too concerned about the "conversation" when they constantly get blamed about things they never did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom