• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildebeest

Seems that our world leaders are very much intentionally pushing us to WW3.
The ones who think they have something to gain from WW3 and shaking everything up are Russia, Iran and North Korea. I don't think even China anywhere near as enthusiastic, or at least wants more time to prepare for the biggest war of all time.

LordOfChaos

Do you have the cliff notes?

Largely urging a lot of caution I guess, seeing a potentially laid trap and Hezbollah coming in from the other flank once they're committed in Gaza I had also said in the first few days and doesn't take boy geniuses lol. Also talked about how the funding bill was tying Israel and Ukraine together because the US rarely hesitates to give Israel more funding but the bill if made for Ukraine alone might not have gone through, and how we're not really pushing for an end to that war and instead just seeing a lot of Ukrainian and Russian boys killed in horrible ways for little gain on either side, the lines have been mostly stuck for a while.

Thaedolus

If 9/11 happened today I honestly think a good portion of the social justice crowd would try to justify it.
It’s the endgame of the binary oppression Olympics where everyone can be categorized as either the oppressor or the oppressed based on their oppression score. And if you’ve got a higher oppression score than someone else, you basically can’t wrong them in any way because they’re your oppressor.

LordCBH

If 9/11 happened today I honestly think a good portion of the social justice crowd would try to justify it.

Given our wide open southern border with zero idea who’s coming into the country, I have a very grave feeling that we will likely find out how true this statement is.

I REALLY hope I’m wrong about that.

Woggleman

It’s the endgame of the binary oppression Olympics where everyone can be categorized as either the oppressor or the oppressed based on their oppression score. And if you’ve got a higher oppression score than someone else, you basically can’t wrong them in any way because they’re your oppressor.
That is exactly how they see it. People are not people but simply members of an oppressor class or oppressed class.

LordOfChaos

I hated holding a rifle M16 in my hands during the times when my service forced me. I hated everything it can do, I hated going to the range to shoot it, I hated all it represents. I don't know how someone can kill and be happy about it. Evil.

Exactly. Even if it was against legitimate military targets instead of killing as many civilians as they could, who calls home to brag about how many they killed except a sociopath? Except there's too many to be those, so it's instead a warped ideology you have to be raised in.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
I hated holding a rifle M16 in my hands during the times when my service forced me. I hated everything it can do, I hated going to the range to shoot it, I hated all it represents. I don't know how someone can kill and be happy

Being high as fuck on amphetamines probably.

And being fed antisemitic bullshit since birth.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

Boozeroony

Gold Member
To me, it seems like an invasion by land is very unlikely at this point. From the beginning the thread of such an invasion has been a great bargaining chip for Bibi. By having such a great leverage and by being the victim of one of the most brutal attacks in recent history, it was possible for him to come into grace by many of his allies. It has done him some favours, although it remains to be seems whether his position is strong enough after the failure to prevent October 7th. He might, if he plays his cards right. After all, he remain a cynical, ruthless politician who is very concerned with staying in power. By single-handedly controlling the powder keg that is de ME, his position is as strong as ever. For now.

Raven117

To me, it seems like an invasion by land is very unlikely at this point. From the beginning the thread of such an invasion has been a great bargaining chip for Bibi. By having such a great leverage and by being the victim of one of the most brutal attacks in recent history, it was possible for him to come into grace by many of his allies. It has done him some favours, although it remains to be seems whether his position is strong enough after the failure to prevent October 7th. He might, if he plays his cards right. After all, he remain a cynical, ruthless politician who is very concerned with staying in power. By single-handedly controlling the powder keg that is de ME, his position is as strong as ever. For now.
Man, I dont know.

On one hand, Israel will likely not fall for the trap that Hamas has clearly put them in by baiting them to come into gaza and likely be an exteremly difficult ground offensive. On the other hand, NOT going in makes Israel look weak (to them) and they may continue on being terrorists. Very difficult situation.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
Man, I dont know.

On one hand, Israel will likely not fall for the trap that Hamas has clearly put them in by baiting them to come into gaza and likely be an exteremly difficult ground offensive. On the other hand, NOT going in makes Israel look weak (to them) and they may continue on being terrorists. Very difficult situation.
Yeah, it is difficult to see how it would play out once they have invaded Gaza. What's the end game? It would require enormous resources and will likely kill many Israeli soldiers. Hamas and it's supporters will turn to guerilla warfare. Even if they kill every Hamas terrorist. Who will replace them? Democratic minded Palestinians? Highly unlikely.

It will be about containing Gaza and reducing terrorist attacks. And Bibi probably made sure he got help doing so by having his allies as back up. He played his cards pretty good imo. It was and always will be a daily struggle for Israel.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder how unlivable Israel can make (parts of) Gaza. If they decide to make a 1 mile DMZ all around a reduced footprint Gaza and just stop providing water and power, how much of that place turns back into desert? Doesn't seem like Egypt is gonna step up and solar and wells/desalination only gets you so far with just a high population density.

In 5 years the US president's plane is gonna go down in a cut off, abandoned Gaza and they will have to send in Snake Plisskin to get her out :p

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe it would be possible to identify the hamas tunnels and bunker with lidar. And then just use some bunker buster bombs to blow it up.

Havoc2049

Yeah, it is difficult to see how it would play out once they have invaded Gaza. What's the end game? It would require enormous resources and will likely kill many Israeli soldiers. Hamas and it's supporters will turn to guerilla warfare. Even if they kill every Hamas terrorist. Who will replace them? Democratic minded Palestinians? Highly unlikely.

It will be about containing Gaza and reducing terrorist attacks. And Bibi probably made sure he got help doing so by having his allies as back up. He played his cards pretty good imo. It was and always will be a daily struggle for Israel.
Honestly, I wish Isreal would just take that place over and be done with it. This constant state of war, lives lost and money spent over a small strip of land just seems ridiculous after a while. Put an end to the chaos.
Given our wide open southern border with zero idea who’s coming into the country, I have a very grave feeling that we will likely find out how true this statement is.

I REALLY hope I’m wrong about that.
Actually, the southern border is well protected by 20,000+ Border Patrol Agents, supported by tons of infrastructure and technology. The Federal Government and the Legislative Branch is choosing to not fix the asylum laws of the United States and we are letting a large portion of the people we catch, free into the United States, to abuse the crap immigration system and laws we have. The current president isn't helping either and choosing not to enforce the laws that are on the books to find a work around of the broken asylum laws. The legal immigration into the United States is out of control as well and needs to be fixed, as we are willing letting in hundreds of thousands of people into our country from countries that are opposed to the United States.

Last edited:

tommib

Israel is not a member of the anti-IS coalition and Macron’s proposal to widen the coalition’s objectives to include Hamas could allow western powers greater influence over how the Gaza-based group is tackled.

Some western powers have concerns about leaving Israel in sole charge of fighting Hamas, since an unconstrained campaign has the potential to turn into a regional conflagration with reverberations in European capitals.

If you're going to complain about "that" then help for gaza should be getting in from Israel instead of Egypt; and, it's being provided through that route because Israel was unwilling to open humanitarian corridors.

Also, 20 trucks might be something for guns (I dunno) but for humanitarian help is nothing.
In this day and age, social media is a weapon in warfare, and this is an extremely good way of using it.
Also good for creating noise, doubt, and misinformation.

Not saying it's either here, but you're still getting your info from one of the interested parties.
There’s only one reasonable choice here.
Which is?

Taking more territory? Dictating a leader/government/law? Adding more checkpoints? Kicking everyone out?

Last edited:

tommib

Everything seems to be going swimmingly in France when it comes to dealing with Islamic extremists, so I'm sure Israel would welcome the oversight.
Nothing will happen because no one wants to even come close to the terrorist nests of Hamas and Hezbollah, but I would love to see Israel ask the international community for help and, after not getting it, deciding to take matters fully into their own hands, cleaning their backyard, permanently.

Last edited:

tommib

The did just that 20 years ago.
Bush and Rumsfeld where vilified constantly for us actions.
The Iraq War is not the best example. No weapons of mass destruction, no connection between Saddam and Al-Qaeda. If anything, the protests at the time did make sense. Not even taking about the post-war chaos and ISIS building itself from it.

Was Saddam a son of a bitch? You can bet on it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Qatar’s War for Young American Minds​

By Eli Lake

October 24, 2023
"
Right now, senior leaders of Hamas, the perpetrators of the worst atrocity against Jews since the Holocaust, are huddled in Qatar. They’ve been there for years. But American foreign policy has turned a blind eye. Why? One reason might be that for the last 25 years, this small, energy-rich state has pumped billions into America to purchase influence and good favor.

The Qataris have spent their lavish fortune at American law firms, on lobbying contracts with former senior officials, and on junkets and partnerships with big media companies. The biggest recipients of Qatari largesse, though, have been major universities and think tanks.

The numbers are staggering. According to a 2022 study from the National Association of Scholars, Qatar today is the largest foreign donor to American universities. The study found that between 2001 and 2021, the petrostate donated a whopping $4.7 billion to U.S. colleges. The largest recipients are some of America’s most prestigious institutions of higher learning. These schools have partnered with the regime to build campuses in Doha’s “education city,” a special district of the capital that hosts satellite colleges for American universities:

• Since 1997, Qatar has donated more than $103 million to Virginia Commonwealth University for a fine arts campus.
  • Since 2001, Qatar has donated $1.8 billion to Cornell for a medical school.
  • Since 2003, Qatar has donated nearly $700 million to Texas A&M for an engineering campus.
  • Since 2004, Qatar has donated $740 million to Carnegie Mellon University for a computer science campus.
  • Since 2005, Qatar has donated $760 million to Georgetown University for a school of politics.
  • Since 2008, Qatar has donated nearly $602 million to Northwestern University for a school of journalism.
One might expect that scholarly institutions that have benefited from this autocracy’s money would rethink their partnership after Qatar’s foreign minister said that “Israel alone is responsible” for the pogrom perpetrated by Hamas terrorists. Or after Qatar’s prime minister on Friday declined to close the office Hamas maintains in its capital. But these universities have given no indication that they will end their profitable partnership with Qatar.

All but one university on the list declined to comment on the future of their Doha campuses when contacted by The Free Press. Kelly Brown, a spokeswoman for Texas A&M, gave the following statement:

Maintaining relationships with countries like Qatar serve a broader purpose, including fostering international dialogue and cooperation. Texas A&M’s relationship with Qatar is focused on educational and research activities, which contribute to the academic and intellectual development of both countries. That, in turn, hopefully will one day lead to peaceful resolutions rather than conflict.
She added that Texas A&M has clear and transparent agreements with Qatar that accord with U.S. and international laws. “No public funds are spent toward the Qatar campus,” she said.

In the last 25 years the universities have justified these joint ventures with Qatar as a way to liberalize an autocratic society and bring American soft power to the Middle East. Indeed, Qatari officials have themselves given lip service to this goal.

In 2015, Hunter R. Rawlings III, who was Cornell’s president when it opened its medical school in “education city,” told The Washington Post: “Part of our thinking was, most American involvement in the Middle East has to do with guns and oil. This project seems to have to do with medicine and education. It’s such a different message. Why don’t we try it?”

The reality, though, is much different. Many of these schools have had to compromise their values on their campuses in Doha. For example, in 2014 Qatar censored Love Comes Later, a romance novel set in London and Qatar by Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar, an English professor at Virginia Commonwealth University’s Doha campus.

In some cases, the universities cooperated with Qatar’s strategic interests. The Qatar campus of Northwestern, whose U.S. journalism school is ranked as one of the best in the world, signed a memorandum of understanding with Al Jazeera, the Qatari-funded news channel that has provided a sympathetic platform for Hamas and other Islamist groups over the years, to help train its reporters.

In 2013, Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassim al-Thani, then director general of Al Jazeera, said of the new partnership: “Al Jazeera Network places the development of its team’s skills at the top of its priorities, to stay par with the great media-related feats Qatar has accomplished regionally and internationally.”

But are Northwestern’s interests really aligned with Qatar? Al Jazeera aired a weekly program hosted by Muslim Brotherhood cleric, Yusuf al-Qaradawi, between 1996 and 2013. al-Qaradawi was denounced by the Anti-Defamation League in 2013—the same year that Northwestern signed its agreement with Al Jazeera—as the “theologian of terror.” In one 2009 sermon aired on the network, he said: “I will shoot Allah’s enemies, the Jews, and they will throw a bomb at me, and thus I will seal my life with martyrdom.”

In 2015, Stephen Eisenman, who was then president of Northwestern’s faculty senate, concluded in a report on his school’s Doha campus that professors there enjoyed only “limited academic freedom.” He said this was not so much because professors feared the state’s strict censorship regime, but because they lacked tenure and were answerable only to the dean of Northwestern’s Qatar campus.

Eisenman also acknowledged that “the ethics of establishing a campus in an authoritarian country are murky, especially when it inhibits free expression, and counts among its allies several oppressive regimes or groups.”

That glancing reference to Qatar’s alliance with Hamas and Iran is the only mention of the state’s funding and support for political Islam. Eisenman concludes that countries that export oil and natural gas are bad for the environment, and are often marred by “social and racial inequality.” Not to worry. Eisenman notes, “those characteristics describe the United States no less than Qatar and don’t prevent Northwestern from maintaining campuses in Evanston and Chicago.”

Eisenman, now an emeritus professor, declined an interview request. In an email he told me, “Now more than ever, we need sincere efforts to achieve rapprochement between Muslims and Jews and between Palestinians and Israelis. If universities can help with this by means of educational exchanges, then I am all for them.”

Charles Asher Small, executive director of the Institute for the Study of Global Anti-Semitism and Policy, told me the funding of universities by Qatar is part of a much larger effort to exert soft power in the West. His institute estimates that the regime holds between $750 billion to $1 trillion worth assets throughout the world. “They are investing in major Fortune 500 corporations, Heathrow Airport [in London], the Empire State Building,” he said.
"

More at the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom